Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So super weird. I ordered our tent and camping stuff a couple of days ago. Today the post man showed up with three parcels: two that had my outdoor shop's label on them, and one something for a neighbour. The parcels didn't have names on them (just a zipcode and barcode) so I opened the ones that came from my outdoor shop.

Oh no! Wrong tent in there. Was about to whine to the dealer about it when the door rang. Neighbour came to pick up their two parcels - what I thought was the wrong tent was actually his. We were both expecting tents from the same outdoor shop on the same day, and I opened his by accident.

Checked with the tracking code and mine is indeed still underway. What are the odds!

(Probably not that bad, seems to be a big outdoor year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It’s a huge outdoor year. If you have extra stuff laying around you’ve been thinking about selling, this is the time. I made a split decision to try and sell a Walrus Zoid 1 and 85L pack last week to fund some other stuff. Sold them both within a couple of hours to the first people that responded.

Speaking of which, the Gregory Paragon 48 pack I ordered from REI should arrive today.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
There's a gear buy/swap/gift thread over here now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936197&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

highme posted:

It’s a huge outdoor year. If you have extra stuff laying around you’ve been thinking about selling, this is the time. I made a split decision to try and sell a Walrus Zoid 1 and 85L pack last week to fund some other stuff. Sold them both within a couple of hours to the first people that responded.

Speaking of which, the Gregory Paragon 48 pack I ordered from REI should arrive today.

I've been running a Paragon 58 for a couple years, love it.

Did you get the clearance one or the new 2020 model?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

awesome

FCKGW posted:

I've been running a Paragon 58 for a couple years, love it.

Did you get the clearance one or the new 2020 model?

I grabbed the clearance one since it was $70. The 48 was a much better size than an 85 for me. I'm more inclined to take my truck on an extended off grid trip than I am to do so backpacking. Going out for a night or 2 on foot is much more likely. My weekends in the winter are usually spent running high school snowboard competitions and I'd like a little more space for all the things I drag up to course with me on comp days. If I could attach a board to this it would be perfect for a couple day winter tour too.

edit: oh, and the UPS delivery I got wasn't that, it was the pop up privacy tent I got for the poop bucket, plus another one I didn't order. Thanks Jeff!

highme fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 11, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just checked and my tent weighs 7 lbs. I need to go lower.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This is I guess more of a day hiking gear question rather than camping, but I'm thinking of switching out my rain jacket and pants I normally pack along with the bag cover and emergency tarp (in case I get stranded over night) for a single poncho with grommets that can pull triple duty as rain protection for me, my bag, and as emergency shelter. Anyone done something like this?

Looking at it, it seems like it could save me like 3 pounds of weight.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Poncho tarps are basically what you're describing.

SixMoonDesigns Gatewood Cape is the most common out there. I myself prefer ponchos but have never used a ponch tarp. Lots of people really like them though and use them as shelters regularly.

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/gatewood-cape

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Thanks for the name of what they're called. Your suggestion there is way outside of my price range but I did find this much more affordable one on Amazon with like 2000 good reviews so I'm going to give this one a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07539S9G3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gOdnFbDF04RX6

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Osprey Atmos 65 and an Alps Mountaineering sleeping pad and bag. Even after my discount, I spent way more than I should have. :negative: New gear day is so much fun though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Osprey Atmos 65 and an Alps Mountaineering sleeping pad and bag. Even after my discount, I spent way more than I should have. :negative: New gear day is so much fun though.

New gear day is always fun!

You'll be happy with the pack and the pad I am sure. If you're ever looking for cheap used gear check out reddit gear trade and this site - https://lwhiker.com/used-gear-search/recent (SA now also has a gear swap thread!). I've picked up a lot of stuff at good prices that way.

Speaking of gear, I'd like to present my last winter project:

And the before picture:

I used it on a really ill fated winter trip that got done to -20F and the stove was not up to snuff. Tore it all down and rebuilt it basically and now its a great white gas winter stove!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

New gear day is always fun!

You'll be happy with the pack and the pad I am sure. If you're ever looking for cheap used gear check out reddit gear trade and this site - https://lwhiker.com/used-gear-search/recent (SA now also has a gear swap thread!). I've picked up a lot of stuff at good prices that way.

Speaking of gear, I'd like to present my last winter project:

And the before picture:

I used it on a really ill fated winter trip that got done to -20F and the stove was not up to snuff. Tore it all down and rebuilt it basically and now its a great white gas winter stove!

That is so cool! I love Optimus stoves, those things are built like a tank! And I especially love your restoration work... the emblem on top is a really nice touch!

I need to restore my grandpa’s green coleman stove, that’d be a great project one of these days :)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Sleeping pads! I've had an Alps sleeping pad for the last ten years and got a lot of great use out of it.

I just upgraded to one of these that I found on sale: https://seatosummitusa.com/products/comfort-light-insulated-mat
I can't believe how light it is and how small it packs up. And you can actually lie comfortably on your side as advertised. Look how small!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Sleeping pads! I've had an Alps sleeping pad for the last ten years and got a lot of great use out of it.

I just upgraded to one of these that I found on sale: https://seatosummitusa.com/products/comfort-light-insulated-mat
I can't believe how light it is and how small it packs up. And you can actually lie comfortably on your side as advertised. Look how small!

:eyepop: it's so tiny!

I was trying to convince myself I could justify paying that much for a sleeping pad, but all three purchases there came out to be equal to or less than pretty much all the super lightweight pads. :negative: Why do I have so many expensive hobbies?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Outdoor stuff has insane markup at many retailers. I have a ton of AliExpress gear that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and I'm mostly satisfied with it. Bonus, the brand names are all ridiculous.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Casu Marzu posted:

:eyepop: it's so tiny!

I was trying to convince myself I could justify paying that much for a sleeping pad, but all three purchases there came out to be equal to or less than pretty much all the super lightweight pads. :negative: Why do I have so many expensive hobbies?

Im a side sleeper who has tried many a pad in the past, and the best sleep outside I've ever gotten was with the klymit static v

https://klymit.com/collections/sleeping-pads/products/static-v-camping-sleeping-pad?variant=31735711105114

less than a third the price. the insulated version and the insulated lite version aren't much more than that

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah ive just gone to the klymit for my back and bikepacking. They made a bunch for the marines (iirc) awhile ago and sold off the overruns so I got mine for $21 shipped, and at that price its nuts. Much smaller packed and comfier than my thermarest prolite plus.

For car camping though i bought this monstrous thicc Nemo pad that's absolutely incredible. Totally made week long trips even better.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Foam mat supremacy. More durable, easier, faster, lighter, cheaper.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Epitope posted:

Might be the curse of side sleeping and rocky terrain but ive yet to find any peaceful sleep on a foam pad

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Epitope posted:

I honestly would love if I could use a foam pad for weight/simplicity sake but being a side sleeper they just don't work for me. I tried two different foam pads, the roll up kind and the fold up. Even my thermarest self inflating pad wasn't enough to keep me off the ground and not leave me sore in the morning. It wasn't until I got my big agnes air pad that I started sleeping much more comfortably.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

PokeJoe posted:

Outdoor stuff has insane markup at many retailers. I have a ton of AliExpress gear that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and I'm mostly satisfied with it. Bonus, the brand names are all ridiculous.

Please tell me more about AliExpress gear. If I can get something just as good as a name brand product for a fraction of the cost I will do it (like my $54 AliExpress GoPros)

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

Please tell me more about AliExpress gear. If I can get something just as good as a name brand product for a fraction of the cost I will do it (like my $54 AliExpress GoPros)

Please dish the gopro details.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Pfft, you ground dwellers and your sleeping pads. Hammock supremacy!

Though for winter camping I am a pad user. Usually double up a foam Zlite to put under my Exped Downmat. Thatll get me to -20F easy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I finally got a proper day hiking / backpacking backpack with a waist belt and chest strap and loaded it up with all the normal gear I would usually bring. I feel like I'm carrying like half the weight I was before. This is amazing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe it goes without saying, but I wouldn't ever recommend paying full price for the "premium" brands. I like the fancy things though so I keep an eye on annual sales or wait until something I want is finally discounted.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I finally got a proper day hiking / backpacking backpack with a waist belt and chest strap and loaded it up with all the normal gear I would usually bring. I feel like I'm carrying like half the weight I was before. This is amazing.

Srsly. I dropped 20ish lbs into my new pack yesterday and after getting it fitted, it's more comfortable to walk around in and feels lighter than my cheap backpack I use for my laptop.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

MustardFacial posted:

Sure, heres some things I've purchased and been pleased with:

Hammock + Straps
Hammock Underquilt https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000475432624.html
Stuff sacks
Headlamps, flashlights and lanterns
Fly rod and reel
Fly fishing tackle bag: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32974902311.html
This hat i wear when kayaking: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33056122199.html
Kayak Sail

I don't have this table because I ordered a different one before I saw it, but look at that branding:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32952514879.html

And a bunch of other stuff. Honestly most of the stuff I've purchased has been pretty decent, nothing has felt so crappy it wasn't worth the discounted price but buying from Ali is always somewhat of a gamble.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco is selling a Cascade Mountain Klymit knockoff pad (might even be made by them) for $30/$22 on sale if your store still carries them.

The Cascade Mountain carbon fiber hiking poles for $30/$20 on sale are also an incredible deal.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 13, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Which hammock did you get?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The store I got the hammock from doesn't exist any more unfortunately but I think it was only $15. Search hammock and sort by most orders, they have a few parachute material ones for under 20 bucks that I would buy if I didn't have one. I also have an ENO doublenest that was like 4x the cost of the Ali hammocks and it's not 4x better.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Those cheap hammocks are OK for an introduction, but typically they are on the short end.

If you find them comfortable and think you'd like to hammock camp spend more money on a regular camping hammock. Doesnt have to be a ton, and you can find used ones out there for pretty cheap too. A full size hammock with bug net and a good suspension will make a big difference in your comfort and ease of setup.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

My first hammock camping attempt I forgot that they needed trees. No idea why that slipped my mind, but I was heading with a group up to a lake on the continental divide, and well above the treeline. Realized my mistake as we were setting up camp at dark, and had to hike back down till I found suitable trees. Also didn't fully account for the amount of heat I'd lose vs just using a tent/pad on the ground, so it was a rough night in general.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Please dish the gopro details.

It is this one. They do 4K30, 1080p60, and a couple lower resolutions. I don't think the camera itself is waterproof, but it comes with pretty much every single adapter out of the box that anytime I'm going to stick it underwater I just use the waterproof case. The batteries only last about an hour at 1080p60 (I don't record at 4K because I don't have a 4K TV), but the batteries are replaceable, and you can get 2 extra batteries for :10bux: so I just carry a couple extras with me if I'm doing anything more than an hour. I've had it for about a year and in that time they've put with with everything I can throw at it, and at $54 CDN, I don't really give a poo poo if I lose it doing something stupid.

I did a quick google and found this pretty comprehensive review about it. Honestly, after spending even 30 mins with this camera I couldn't justify dropping $400CDN on a proper GoPro especially since everything I read about the newer versions is terrible.

[edit] SJCAM have other models like the SJ8 and the SJ10 Pro that are newer and probably have more features, but I know nothing about those.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even if you can afford it, GoPro is a really bad choice. Other companies at the same price point are making better products right now.

They're cruising on brand recognition right now and that's it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Fitzy Fitz posted:

JUST TAKE MY MONEY

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

At this point I might as well buy the proprietary inflatable pillow that attaches to the air valve..

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm looking at doing a whole lot of car-camping soon... more out necessity than fun, since I'm homeless and jobless. :(. But autumn in southern Virginia is pretty nice, so I'm trying to look at the bright side. :)

Right now my biggest question regards camp stoves; I don't know where to start. Propane or butane or alcohol? Brands to avoid? Brands that are quality but on the cheap? Which fuel type is most easily bought in-store at Wal-mart or Lowe's and whatnot? Not having an address kinda makes mail-ordering tricky.

Assuming weight isn't an issue (I'm not gonna be lugging it very far from my van) what would you all recommend? Two burners would be nice, but I'd be content with just some way to heat up all these canned beans people giving me. Apparently everyone on earth stockpiled beans at the start of the coronapocalypse, and they keep giving me cans of beans.

Any advice, or pointing towards a handy reputable site comparing the differences, would be appreciated, thanks!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm looking at doing a whole lot of car-camping soon... more out necessity than fun, since I'm homeless and jobless. :(. But autumn in southern Virginia is pretty nice, so I'm trying to look at the bright side. :)

Right now my biggest question regards camp stoves; I don't know where to start. Propane or butane or alcohol? Brands to avoid? Brands that are quality but on the cheap? Which fuel type is most easily bought in-store at Wal-mart or Lowe's and whatnot? Not having an address kinda makes mail-ordering tricky.

Assuming weight isn't an issue (I'm not gonna be lugging it very far from my van) what would you all recommend? Two burners would be nice, but I'd be content with just some way to heat up all these canned beans people giving me. Apparently everyone on earth stockpiled beans at the start of the coronapocalypse, and they keep giving me cans of beans.

Any advice, or pointing towards a handy reputable site comparing the differences, would be appreciated, thanks!

Coleman 2-burner propane stove. They're cheap and you can get the fuel anywhere. If you hit a few thrift stores, you'll probably find one, although they're like $60 at Target if you can spare the dough for a new one.

I have a single-burner butane stove I picked up cheap on a whim at a Chinese grocery store years ago, and it sucks. Last time I used it was for rendering suet outside, and it juuuuust managed that. Harder to find the fuel, too.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a coleman stove is great for camping and will last forever. my dad has one that's probably 40 years old and still works well. might be a bit large if you're living in your car full time and need the space though. i have one of those chinese grocery single butane burners too and i like mine a lot actually, it's not the beefiest burner but they're very size friendly. i go to the asian store regularly so i just buy the fuel there with my groceries and it's only like 6 bucks for a 4 pack of fuel cans and they last a few meals.

my burner only cost me $20 at my local asian grocery center

i liked it so much i bought a tiny butane grill that takes the same fuel cans that works great for grilling hot dogs and skewers. It's not super powerful but it fits in a box the size of a suitcase so it's easy to take it to the park or something to do a little grilling.

if you ever stay in a cold weather area these butane burners won't work. propane still will, a coleman will be better all around but if you need something tiny i find the butane burners perfectly useable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

a coleman stove is great for camping and will last forever. my dad has one that's probably 40 years old and still works well. might be a bit large if you're living in your car full time and need the space though. i have one of those chinese grocery single butane burners too and i like mine a lot actually, it's not the beefiest burner but they're very size friendly. i go to the asian store regularly so i just buy the fuel there with my groceries and it's only like 6 bucks for a 4 pack of fuel cans and they last a few meals.

my burner only cost me $20 at my local asian grocery center

i liked it so much i bought a tiny butane grill that takes the same fuel cans that works great for grilling hot dogs and skewers. It's not super powerful but it fits in a box the size of a suitcase so it's easy to take it to the park or something to do a little grilling.

if you ever stay in a cold weather area these butane burners won't work. propane still will, a coleman will be better all around but if you need something tiny i find the butane burners perfectly useable

That's exactly what I have, it sucks poo poo and even on a summer day the butane can will get iced up and slow the flow of fuel to almost nothing.

You can tell it's garbage because it says "Top Quality" on the front.

edit: I mean I don't have that particular combination of color and lettering on mine, mine is the same physical design but in proper Chinese goods fashion it is stamped with some *different* random company's name and is black & red.