Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, that's the obvious problem with economic liberalism, and it's even been a part of basic economics classes for decades, so there's no excuse. It is in companies' immediate individual interests to subvert the idealized capitalist 'free market' by establishing monopolies (cartels if necessary), withholding information from or misleading consumers, underpaying their employees even if it means they can't be proper consumers in their own right, permanently destroying the environment that is sustaining their activities, etc.
Similarly, 95% of consumers will put convenience and their bank accounts above anything else, no matter what they might say.

I don't even think this is particularly shocking or reprehensible, especially the latter case. It takes very strong moral convictions to personally inconvenience yourself in a tangible way just to make an insignificant contribution to whichever abstract moral or ideological issue you think is affecting the collectivity and/or people you don't know. Fundamentally, it's not up to us as individual consumers to change the system. As a society, we need to establish a (better) baseline of what we think is morally acceptable, and then do what it takes to enforce that, no excuses or exceptions.

The meaningfulness of the consumer activism also diminishes if you are realistically facing a situation where you can only choose which one of the few near-monopolies with 40%+ market share and no real competition you are supporting (if we consider store retail and online two separate competitions, so we can have up to 4 from which to choose from).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm trying to think of an alternative to CoD that isn't made by EA and I'm coming up blank. There are battle royales and games like Overwatch but those are essentially different genres.

For a while there was Blacklight Retribution but it died because of a series of very dumb marketing moves, like completely abandoning the quite popular pc version to make a worse ps4 version.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Platystemon posted:

It gets better (worse).

https://twitter.com/7ElevenAus/status/1293785397319761920

Blackwater→Xe→Academi

Philip Morris (non cigarette brands)->Altria is a good example.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Corrections Corporation of America → CoreCivic

Lance Armstrong Foundation → Livestrong

Valeant Pharmaceuticals → Bausch Health

Smith & Wesson → American Outdoor Brands

McAfee → Intel Security

I don’t know if British Petroleum → BP counts, but I’m listing it because LOL @ Obama being called a racist for using its old name after the Deepwater Horizon spill.

If I’m including it, I may as well include two others who now go by their initials, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Weight Watchers.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Dunkin' Donuts goes by Dunkin'/DD more often than not these days.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

is the joke that we're forgetting Battlefield exists

I mean, there is a Call of Duty-like game that's not made by EA.

It's a poorly known series called "Call of Duty".

(It's made by Activision, and no, they're not any better than EA as far as business practices go)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Volcott posted:

Dunkin' Donuts goes by Dunkin'/DD more often than not these days.

They wanted to remove the emphasis on Donuts since people are more health conscience now. Thats kind of a fair cop.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RagnarokAngel posted:

They wanted to remove the emphasis on Donuts since people are more health conscience now. Thats kind of a fair cop.

Literally the same reason as KFC

And every breakfast cereal removing "sugar" from the name

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If they can get away with it they love to put something like 'now with natural x!' on their product, without specifying that it's always been in there, or what 'natural' is supposed to mean

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

Literally the same reason as KFC

The rumors back then that they did it because the meat was coming from genetically modified abominations that couldn't be called chicken were hilarious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My understanding of the natural world also comes from misguided hippie/Romanticist ideas and fantasy novels, which is why I believe nuclear power will inevitably lead to genetically modified monster chickens who will kill us all

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

My understanding of the natural world also comes from misguided hippie/Romanticist ideas and fantasy novels, which is why I believe nuclear power will inevitably lead to genetically modified monster chickens who will kill us all

no, shh, he is legend

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The rumors back then that they did it because the meat was coming from genetically modified abominations that couldn't be called chicken were hilarious.

Reminds me of the rumors that McDonald's used mealworms or something instead of beef to save cash, except in reality using beef really is the cheaper option.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You don't see it as often nowadays but remember when racists used to be afraid of going to chinese restaurants in case the meat was dog?

Dog meat is a rare delicacy in any country where they eat it and its super expensive

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The idea that chefs in Chinese restaurants finish the evening, look over the supplies, think "We'll need more meat for tomorrow" and don't just phone up the butcher/wholesaler they deal with. No, they get a big fishing net, some Pedigree Chum and a club, then go hunting for strays. loving love it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

People are wary of what's in their food, and they absolutely should be, a lot of it really does contribute to cancer, heart disease, etc.,but it has indeed also led to some dumb poo poo being widely believed.

A vaguely racist 'joke' that I remember from back when I was a teenager was that you should watch out at the kebab shop because the employees there obviously love to ejaculate in their products for some reason

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think there's ever been a Viz comic strip with a butcher that doesn't suggest they gently caress all the meat. Then there's Fru T. Bunn the Master Baker:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

People are wary of what's in their food, and they absolutely should be, a lot of it really does contribute to cancer, heart disease, etc.,but it has indeed also led to some dumb poo poo being widely believed.

A vaguely racist 'joke' that I remember from back when I was a teenager was that you should watch out at the kebab shop because the employees there obviously love to ejaculate in their products for some reason

I think it's a joke about white sauce, since I heard the same joke about McDonald's "secret sauce" on their big macs. When you're a high schooler making cum jokes about sauce is second nature.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, that was probably it.

If it's actually true that the 'garlic sauce' in döner kebabs is cum, don't tell me, I want to keep eating them

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

If it's actually true that the 'garlic sauce' in döner kebabs is cum, don't tell me, I want to keep eating them

Sperm donor kebab

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

Smith & Wesson → American Outdoor Brands

That's not the same thing, I wouldn't say. On one hand, they actively diversified their products. Knives, survival equipment, outdoor gear, they do all that stuff now. On the other hand, the guns they sell sure say Smith & Wesson on them. Nobody is selling or buying handguns with "American Outdoor Brands" stamped on them. And now they're splitting the gun side off as...Smith & Wesson. So you've got the company called Smith & Wesson selling S&W-labeled guns and you've got the company called American Outdoor Brands selling the other stuff but no guns.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Nostradingus posted:

Sperm donor kebab

Sperm doner

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

RagnarokAngel posted:

They actually have some relatively healthy breakfast options too, turkey sausage and egg on an English Muffin is great.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

Sperm donor kebab

lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think it's a joke about white sauce, since I heard the same joke about McDonald's "secret sauce" on their big macs. When you're a high schooler making cum jokes about sauce is second nature.

And prepubescent children make the same sorts of jokes but about poop, e.g. "Flush twice, the cafeteria is a long way from here."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Haha, that's right, high schoolers and young children

*surreptitiously begins deleting post history*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

That's not the same thing, I wouldn't say. On one hand, they actively diversified their products. Knives, survival equipment, outdoor gear, they do all that stuff now. On the other hand, the guns they sell sure say Smith & Wesson on them. Nobody is selling or buying handguns with "American Outdoor Brands" stamped on them. And now they're splitting the gun side off as...Smith & Wesson. So you've got the company called Smith & Wesson selling S&W-labeled guns and you've got the company called American Outdoor Brands selling the other stuff but no guns.

The Smith & Wesson name used to help sell outdoor apparel. Now it would be a liability, so they rebranded.

It’s still a name that helps sell guns and it always will, because guns aren’t being dragged down by an association with themselves.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RandomFerret posted:

You don't see it as often nowadays but remember when racists used to be afraid of going to chinese restaurants in case the meat was dog?

Dog meat is a rare delicacy in any country where they eat it and its super expensive
One I used to hear a lot when I was a child was that KFC were selling rabbit as chicken for some presumably nefarious reason.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha, that's right, high schoolers and young children

*surreptitiously begins deleting post history*
"Deleting my post history" is what I call flushing the toilet

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

One I used to hear a lot when I was a child was that KFC were selling rabbit as chicken for some presumably nefarious reason.

I heard the same exact thing when I was a kid.

Did you have that rumour about how Prince had removed his bottom ribs so he could suck his own dick? Apparently with kids who graduated around 10 years after me (mid 90s) it was Marilyn Manson who had some ribs removed for the same reason.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RandomFerret posted:

Sorry to be pedantic, but in Korea, Dog is poor peoples food.

When I had it, Bosintang, (dog stew), wasn't that expensive, but it was hard to find. I had to go to a little restaurant up in the hills to get it. It was tasty, goes well with spring onions.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Memento posted:

Did you have that rumour about how Prince had removed his bottom ribs so he could suck his own dick? Apparently with kids who graduated around 10 years after me (mid 90s) it was Marilyn Manson who had some ribs removed for the same reason.

Wtf, rabbit is a literal delicacy. What's this thing where meats I didn't grow up eating in a burger are wrong for human consumption?

And same with the Manson thing (early-00s). I don't quite get how it could have been a Prince rumour. The whole thing with Manson was he's twisted and that's why HE'D DO ANYTHING MAN. Prince was just a crooner who hosed a lot. Why would he need to suck his own dick?

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Aug 14, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I assume the rumour from the 70s was that David Cassidy had ribs removed so he could suck his own dick. It doesn't have to make sense, just be a dumb rumour 14 year old kids talk about.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I'd suck more dick if cum tasted like garlic sauce

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I think most people would have a rib removed if it meant they could suck Prince's dick, why would he be any different?

I mean in the 80s/90s, not now.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

The vaguely racist 'joke' regarding kebab shops when I was a teenager revolved around the fact we lived near a famous road with dozens of kebab shops on it, all right next to each other.

The reasoning went: there are too many kebab shops in a small area to be sustainable, therefore they must be fronts for organised crime, which would obviously be the Turkish Cypriot mafia in this case. Furthermore, since doner meat is mysterious and non-specific and usually gets ordered in already in the elephant leg, it is definitely made of people who have been killed by the Cypriot mafia, and you shouldn't eat it (we still ate it, obviously.)

In retrospect, it's almost definitely true that a handful of those shops ARE fronts/laundering money on the side, though who knows who for, but almost definitely not true that doner meat is people.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Memento posted:

I assume the rumour from the 70s was that David Cassidy had ribs removed so he could suck his own dick. It doesn't have to make sense, just be a dumb rumour 14 year old kids talk about.

Yeah, this one circulated in my middle school about Marilyn Manson. Granted it was somewhat more believable about Marilyn Manson than David Cassidy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Memento posted:

Haha I was about to mention it was Marilyn Manson in my case, and must have been early 2000's (seemed plausible at the time). I guess it took some time for such an excellent joke to make it across the Atlantic.

small ghost posted:

The vaguely racist 'joke' regarding kebab shops when I was a teenager revolved around the fact we lived near a famous road with dozens of kebab shops on it, all right next to each other.

The reasoning went: there are too many kebab shops in a small area to be sustainable, therefore they must be fronts for organised crime, which would obviously be the Turkish Cypriot mafia in this case. Furthermore, since doner meat is mysterious and non-specific and usually gets ordered in already in the elephant leg, it is definitely made of people who have been killed by the Cypriot mafia, and you shouldn't eat it (we still ate it, obviously.)

In retrospect, it's almost definitely true that a handful of those shops ARE fronts/laundering money on the side, though who knows who for, but almost definitely not true that doner meat is people.

It really depends where it is. In central Leuven, which I live very close to and where I attended college, there are a bunch of kebab places (and pizzerias) all in close proximity to each other. Thing is, there is also an endless supply of drunken college students, and on popular nights (Thursday especially) most of them are packed.

I doubt they are fronts for anything, although they're 100% dodging labor laws by employing family and friends on the down-low.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Aug 14, 2020

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Haha I was about to mention it was Marilyn Manson in my case, and must have been early 2000's (seemed plausible at the time). I guess it took some time for such an excellent joke to make it across the Atlantic.

It really depends where it is. In central Leuven, which I live very close to and where I attended college, there are a bunch of kebab places (and pizzerias) all in close proximity to each other. Thing is, there is also an endless supply of drunken college students, and on popular nights (Thursday especially) most of them are packed.

I doubt they are fronts for anything, although they're 100% dodging labor laws by employing family and friends on the down-low.

Oh for sure, I didn't mean "they have to be fronts because there are too many kebab shops", that's just what we thought as dumb kids who didn't know about stuff like how clustering can help restaurants.

This is Green Lanes/the Ladders in London, tho, which legitimately is an area with strong and historic ties to organised crime and a lot of fronts - just not to some mysterious "Cypriot Mafia" making doner meat out of people, and also mostly kebab shops really are just kebab shops, the fronts tend to turn out to be things like the 24hr florists and corner shops and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, this one circulated in my middle school about Marilyn Manson. Granted it was somewhat more believable about Marilyn Manson than David Cassidy.

Marilyn Manson was also Paul from the Wonder Years.