Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

Your response is internally incoherent

How much time exists between 5 pm and 5:59 pm? And is 5:59 pm later than 5 pm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yo, did the original text specify time zones? Wondering why Kanye didn’t just hop on Kanye Air and Kanyeet himself west until he could submit before 5PM again

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kalman posted:

How much time exists between 5 pm and 5:59 pm? And is 5:59 pm later than 5 pm?

It says no later than 5 pm

It’s very clear. I suppose they meant to say “shall be filed before 5pm” which would be different but that’s not what they wrote

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

It says no later than 5 pm

It’s very clear. I suppose they meant to say “shall be filed before 5pm” which would be different but that’s not what they wrote

That’s not an answer. Is 5:59 pm later than 5 pm?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

As a scientist, you all are killing me. There's a reason sig figs are a thing. 5pm != 5:00 pm != 5:00:00 pm.

I pity the judge that has to arbitrate this. Surely there's some precedent, right? This can't be the first time this has ever come up?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kalman posted:

That’s not an answer. Is 5:59 pm later than 5 pm?

Yes obviously lamo

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

5 pm exists for exactly 60 seconds it isn’t a physics mystery or anything.

Why 60 seconds? What is your citation for that? Why is 5:00:37pm 5pm, and 5:59pm not 5pm? Why can you truncate seconds, but not minutes? Why are we truncating instead of rounding?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

These are laughable even sanctionable arguments

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

These are laughable even sanctionable arguments
Lucky I'm not a member of the Bar.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I've been a member of two drinking clubs which gives me defacto bar membership status.

5pm is 5:00:00pm. Anything after 5:00:00 is later than 5pm.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

On second thought your question “how long is “5pm” ?” Is a good one

And now I think yes it could last until 5:59:59

So Kanye is again right

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
A poptart is a sandwich

wait wrong argument

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

VanSandman posted:

A poptart is a sandwich

wait wrong argument

Is it, though? The wrong argument, I mean.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

VanSandman posted:

A poptart is a sandwich

wait wrong argument

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nix_v._Hedden

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are you proposing a tomato-based poptart

Mods, please

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

VanSandman posted:

A poptart is a sandwich

wait wrong argument

:wrong:

A poptart is ravioli.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Outrail posted:

A poptart is ravioli.

Oh, that’d maybe make a tomato-based poptart a calzone? Good enough, I’m back on board.

e: as long as I receive my poptart calzone after 5pm and before 6:00:00pm on the nose

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the argument that the kanye campaign is making is slightly more subtle

it's that the state law simply doesn't recognize seconds: the smallest unit it recognizes is the minute. so the state law "sees" it as 5:00 for sixty seconds and simply does not recognize a difference between those seconds, just like you don't bother to specify milliseconds. had kanye's packet landed on the desk at 5:00:00 according to that state law (which clearly includes "5pm" as an acceptable time) it would not be an issue that you were a millisecond late.

so basically the steps in the logical chain are the following:

1) the language of the statute is up to and including 5pm, so if you get it in at exactly 5pm (however defined) you have made a timely submission. i agree with this
2) the state law/statute simply does not recognize seconds, only minutes, so "5pm" according to the local interpretation is 5:00:00 - 5:00:59. this, well, there's probably some law on it? who knows. the alternative interpretation is the state law does not recognize units of time below the second but does recognize the second, so if your packet hits the desk at 5:00:00 you are on time, regardless of the millisecond.
3) since they got it in between 5:00:00-5:00:59 they got it in "at 5pm"

it all hinges on (2), and there is certainly law on the subject in wisconsin. either down to the second or down to the minute is reasonable, but there is certainly a longstanding answer to the question in Wisconsin law or precedent

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There a winking argument as I’ve said but hopefully he loses anyway

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Is this the part of the thread where we talk about half button presses

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Timeliness of filing is a huge issue and often litigated I don’t know why you think this is a joke !?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
This is why I didn't bite when they were trying to tell the engineers to go to law school

I would have thrown down over this in court.

disjoe posted:

Is this the part of the thread where we talk about half button presses

"on_click" is different from "on_press" is different from "on_release" fight me

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I was totally of the opinion that would have litigated to hell and back due to the number of high money tenders out there. I've done tender delivery back when I was a junior engineer and usually they were sending you off to beat things by a few hours, but there were rare occasions where you were sprinting in the door with the deadline looming. For each of those one minute late situations someone is pissed that they got rejected or someone else is pissed that they got accepted.

So, in Canada, it looks like things have been litigated but they are split as to whether stuff between the hour and a minute after are on time. The examples are all in different provinces.

https://patrylaw.ca/government-procurement-bidding-tendering/late-bids/

I'm sure there's a bunch of case law in the states.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

1) Kanye is a joke
2) This forum is a joke

Hence therefore ergo ipso facto vini vidi vici sigma cum loudly,

euphronius posted:

this is a joke

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Outrail posted:

:wrong:

A poptart is ravioli.

Wrong. It's a calzone.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm with Euph and Kanye. Ride or Die.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

VanSandman posted:

Wrong. It's a calzone.

Tacos and burritos are sandwiches. And if there is meat on top of toast it's an open faced sandwich. A poptart is a pocket sandwich with jelly inside.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

VanSandman posted:

Wrong. It's a calzone.

Is a taquito sushi?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

blarzgh posted:

I'm with Euph and Kanye. Ride or Die.

I KNEW the real lawyers would agree!!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

VanSandman posted:

Wrong. It's a calzone.

Oright mate you wanna go or what?

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

VanSandman posted:

Wrong. It's a calzone.

:shrug:

Is this that cake meme?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
We would just use 17:00 (don't have am/pm) which avoids that entire nonsense.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's not the AM/PM that is the issue here, and 17:00 would still be victim to someone turning it in at 17:00:14, which is what happened.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Really seems like deadline law should be written as “before” instead of “no later than”

Also I’m now thinking of going to law school to specialize in deadline law

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Yeah but it's not in the PM though so the clock stops at 17.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Outrail posted:

Oright mate you wanna go or what?

I will fight all of you all at once, especially when you realize I believe sheet cake to be a type of toast and come at me with your law books and student debt.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah but it's not in the PM though so the clock stops at 17.

So you are saying that it is the presence of the pm that implies the entire duration of the first minute of the hour?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

:shrug:

Is this that cake meme?

Sandwich chart is prompting a lot of questions already answered by sandwich chart.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
In any situation that doesn't deal with explicit sig figs, zeros are implied. 5 is 5.0000.., 12.058 is 12.05800000.. 4cm is 4.0000.. cm. 6.5 kilos is 6.500000.. kilos and 5:00pm is 5:00:00.000000.. pm

No where ever do we assume otherwise. A weight limit of 2lbs means that 2.2lbs is over limit. You can try and drive your vehicle with a height of 12'10" under a bridge with a height limit of 12', but you might have a bad time. Try and bring a contain with 2.8oz of liquid onto a plane when the limit is 2oz. They'll probably tell you to gently caress off. No where else is a zero not assumed when unspecified. I have no idea how this is at all a debate. If we didn't assume zeros, then you can change the definition by simply changing the unit.

Have a weight limit of 4000lbs on a road? Change the units to tons and now carry 2.6 tons because that's still 2 tons.

Look at how irrationally annoyed I am about something so petty and dumb. This is probably not healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If I'm a betting man, Kanye's team did that on purpose just to get the extra media coverage.