Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Empress Brosephine posted:

is there anyway to buy one of these already put together?

Yeah, there are places that sell fully assembled kits, some with even the I/O board, a case, and the highest possible RAM plus other bonuses like this shop here. You most likely have to join a waiting list though due to shortage of parts/slowdown on worldwide postage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sweet thanks saoshyant

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Saoshyant posted:

This guy just made an update script that basically does it all in one place: official, jotego stuff, unofficial cores, MAME stuff, etc.

I was having some weird issues with some arcade games having my TV say the resolution wasn't supported, would get arcade games that would make my TV constantly flicker trying to adjust for the resolution and basically could never get the jotego stuff working. I did a full wipe and started everything from scratch and with that update all script everything is perfect now. All this time I just thought my TV was being lovely.

I don't want to sound unappreciative for people responsible for such things, but I don't get why the actual updater doesn't work the way the update all one does. It doesn't make sense to run an update script that doesn't actually put arcade files in the proper place :psyduck:

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 17, 2020

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Just a minor thing - the USB ports on the BlisSTer seem to put out just a bit more power than the ones on the standard USB hub.

With the standard hub, I was able to get a 1TB PiDrive working, but a 2TB drive with a SATA adapter was no good. Even tried a Y cable like I needed for the Wii U.

I just tried the same 2TB drive since switching to the BlisSTer, and using a regular cable wasn’t enough (power light on the adapter, but the drive wouldn’t spin up), but the Y cable worked.

I’m not sure if it’s because there are fewer ports, or because the power runs through there first before going out to the DE10, but it works.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

TVs Ian posted:

Just a minor thing - the USB ports on the BlisSTer seem to put out just a bit more power than the ones on the standard USB hub.

With the standard hub, I was able to get a 1TB PiDrive working, but a 2TB drive with a SATA adapter was no good. Even tried a Y cable like I needed for the Wii U.

I just tried the same 2TB drive since switching to the BlisSTer, and using a regular cable wasn’t enough (power light on the adapter, but the drive wouldn’t spin up), but the Y cable worked.

I’m not sure if it’s because there are fewer ports, or because the power runs through there first before going out to the DE10, but it works.

I was just doing some reading up on that you might need to upgrade to a 5v 3a power supply. Or possibly something bigger, I haven't found a ton of info yet.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
So, this just got released an hour or so ago. Assuming it works correctly, it should make getting up and running as simple as writing an image to a microSD card and letting the MiSTer set itself up.

It's a Linux environment that runs entirely in RAM and wipes/repartitions the microSD card on first boot before copying everything back to the card where it's supposed to go, so it will use the entire card (like you'd expect) and doesn't require native exFAT resizing to be a thing in the MiSTer Linux distribution (which currently can't do that). Once any bugs are worked out, I'd expect this to be the standard way of getting a MiSTer microSD card set up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My Blisster Box arrived but it didn't ship with standoffs to mount it below the DE-10. This might be a dumb question, but what parts do I need to order to attach the two boards together? Is this something I can get from McMaster-Carr?

E: I just ordered a huge assortment of PCB standoffs/screws/nuts based on what I was seeing in pictures of other setups that use these boards. It just looks like a super tall standoff you'd use to mount a motherboard inside a case.

E2: yep, 15mm hex standoffs were perfect. Let's play some Shining Force II.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 1, 2020

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Has anyone seen rainbow static at random times when starting cores? I've seen it on my SNES / NES and NeoGeo cores so far.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Kreeblah posted:

So, this just got released an hour or so ago. Assuming it works correctly, it should make getting up and running as simple as writing an image to a microSD card and letting the MiSTer set itself up.

It's a Linux environment that runs entirely in RAM and wipes/repartitions the microSD card on first boot before copying everything back to the card where it's supposed to go, so it will use the entire card (like you'd expect) and doesn't require native exFAT resizing to be a thing in the MiSTer Linux distribution (which currently can't do that). Once any bugs are worked out, I'd expect this to be the standard way of getting a MiSTer microSD card set up.

I just used this to check it out after I broke my setup and it works pretty well. Thanks for the heads up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Anyone tested the Sega System 1 core? How is it? It's not listed in the official cores for some reason, which I hope are not related to quality.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone tested the Sega System 1 core? How is it? It's not listed in the official cores for some reason, which I hope are not related to quality.

It's not complete - MrX-8B was getting burnt out on folks who were trying to jump ahead of his work and release MRAs for the games that weren't fully working yet. What games are you attempting to run? A fair number of them should be good to go, such as Wonderboy, Teddy Boy Blues, I'm Sorry, Flicky, and a few others. I know 4D Warriors doesn't count play deaths right now.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Finally got around to actually buying the oddball pin headers (right angle female which I thought I had but turns out I only had male for right angle) to assemble my SDRAM board, woohoo! Tested at 140MHz in the memtest tool so JLC PCB did a fine job on these boards I guess. The soldermask is a bit wimpier than I'm used to and I have some copper exposed now where my helping hands chewed it off but meh.

Nice to be able to play all the cores, this is a very cool setup. Now I need to get all the parts for my I/O board and build that out too. Kind of a pain because I wasn't able to find an up-to-date BOM for it anywhere and they used Altium for the schematics and board layouts which is pretty annoying for an open source project and which I can't view on my machine. I wish they'd switch to KiCad so I could actually view the source files for the hardware.

I could have been neater with my soldering and I've since cleaned off the flux residue a bit better, but I can't argue with the result!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Thread title update suggestions:

MiSTer: Alert - someone has begun to pay attention to the ao486 core

MiSTer: CPS1 Done, QSound on deck; ao486, x68000 and PC88 looking good

MiSTer: Almost every version of a Donkey Kong game, in a box

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
I know the MiSTer probably can't do game consoles beyond the 5th gen just because of hardware limitations, but what's the theoretical upper limit for x86 systems? This is obviously more complicated than a 486sx, but will we get to point where you can use the MiSTer to recreate a pentium 1 running Windows 95 to play an early SNES emulator?

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

I gotta say I would get a kick out of running Nesticle on Windows 95 using the ao486 core.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Jadius posted:

I know the MiSTer probably can't do game consoles beyond the 5th gen just because of hardware limitations, but what's the theoretical upper limit for x86 systems? This is obviously more complicated than a 486sx, but will we get to point where you can use the MiSTer to recreate a pentium 1 running Windows 95 to play an early SNES emulator?

486sx doesn't have a floating point unit, so no Quake etc, DOS Mechwarrior 2 doesn't need one.

Back in the day an FPU was an high end feature for a CPU, they're quite complicated, so ao486 doesn't simulate a full on 486dx with its million transistors.
Pentium is like three million transitors, I don't know how much is available on a DE 10 nano

quote:

early SNES emulator?
Zsnes is available as a Dos app, much less overhead...

if you're feeling weird and you want nostalgia on top of your nostalgia some of these haven't been updated since 1997.
https://www.zophar.net/snes.html

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Doesn't Quake suck on 486 regardless? I thought Carmack used his programmer wizardry to load the ALU and FPU of the Pentium up simultaneously and that this wasn't possible on the 486, but I'll admit I don't know a ton about that.

I have to say, I would actually get a kick out of being able to plug in an FPU co-processor if they could manage that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Thread title update suggestions:

MiSTer: Alert - someone has begun to pay attention to the ao486 core

MiSTer: CPS1 Done, QSound on deck; ao486, x68000 and PC88 looking good

MiSTer: Almost every version of a Donkey Kong game, in a box
The OP Q&A suggests MiSTer: Tinker, Tailor, Solder, Sprite, which is frankly perfect as it is.

Forseti posted:

Doesn't Quake suck on 486 regardless? I thought Carmack used his programmer wizardry to load the ALU and FPU of the Pentium up simultaneously and that this wasn't possible on the 486, but I'll admit I don't know a ton about that.

I have to say, I would actually get a kick out of being able to plug in an FPU co-processor if they could manage that.
Mike Abrash pulled some brilliant tricks to get the Quake 1 engine running on the low-end hardware of the time, but he wasn't a miracle worker. Here's Quake 1 running on a real 486 for an idea of what to expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbcFvUOGA44

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 6, 2020

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

I'm trying to play Ys I and II on the TC16 core and I can't seem to get my save to stay. Am I a dummy and I have to do something extra in-game to save beyond just doing it in the menu or is there something I gotta do in the core to make saves stick around?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Autosave Backup RAM in the core menu probably (or you can manually save it every time). That burned me on ffvi yesterday

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

40-Degree Day posted:

I'm trying to play Ys I and II on the TC16 core and I can't seem to get my save to stay. Am I a dummy and I have to do something extra in-game to save beyond just doing it in the menu or is there something I gotta do in the core to make saves stick around?

Sorgelig is paranoid about wearing out people's microSD cards, so MiSTer never writes SRAM to it until you tell it to. You have two options for that, which are using the MiSTer core menu to tell it to make that write, or you can turn on "autosave", which writes the SRAM contents to the card each time you open the core menu, but you still have to do that much.

Also, regarding the upper limit of the x86 core, they're already running into situations where it doesn't fit on the FPGA without some fiddling, so adding more features is probably going to be dependent on how well they can improve the efficiency of the existing computer-generated code.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Gauntlet core has dropped out of heckin nowhere. Controls need some work (must use keyboard to start game), but there is promise!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My DE10-Nano arrives in the mail tomorrow! I've already received everything else that I want for it right now. I can't wait to start tinkering with it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My DE10-Nano arrives in the mail tomorrow! I've already received everything else that I want for it right now. I can't wait to start tinkering with it.

Hell yeah

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mine shipped today. How large an SD card should I be purchasing for this?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

TheMadMilkman posted:

Minimum, 128gb to hold all the stuff you want and future things too.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

TheMadMilkman posted:

Depends on whether you want to load everything off the card. I only have the OS and cores on my card. Everything else gets loaded directly from my NAS.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Depends on how you're storing your content.

I'm using a SMB share for all my console ROMs so mine's still on the stock 8GB card and I have plenty of space to spare for new cores and such. Arcade ROMs I just let the scripts do their thing with, I don't think any of the currently supported titles are large enough to be particularly concerning.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I do anticipate at least occasionally dragging this thing to my sister’s place, so I guess I’ll go fairly big. SD cards are pretty inexpensive in the long run.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have a 400GB and it fits everything nicely, even the full libraries of the two CD based cores.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

My CIFS_mount setup is pretty good - if I’m traveling with the MiSTer, I have enough onboard romset and some select bin/cues instead of full set. However, once it connects to my network storage, full set unlock.

Worth noting: the ao486 core’s VHD handling appears to gently caress with my Ubuntu server’s smbd. I’m probably restarting the service once a night if I’m working on it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Seeing that Amazon has a SanDisk 400GB card for $60, I went for 400GB.

Now if my packages would just get here. I can't wait to assemble this thing and try it out.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Forseti posted:

There was a time that I loaded Quake II up on a 486dx66 and played a LAN match on it just to see if I could. I recall having to turn the resolution way down though.

Apparently the ao486 core got a 4x speed up today: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=147&start=25

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
During the 486 era, iirc the max was 100mhz dx4 or thereabouts.

Since this is fpga, could someone do something bonkers like make a 400mhz dx8 or something?

Keep internal bus speed at 33 or 24 or whatever, but crank up the multiplier.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

falz posted:

During the 486 era, iirc the max was 100mhz dx4 or thereabouts.

Since this is fpga, could someone do something bonkers like make a 400mhz dx8 or something?

Keep internal bus speed at 33 or 24 or whatever, but crank up the multiplier.

With a fancy enough FPGA, sure. The 486 core is getting pretty close to the limit to what they can get out of it without some pretty heavy optimizations of the code, though, rather than slapping on some intelligent caching (which is where the bulk of the performance improvements were with this release).

They also added a real video BIOS that's theoretically capable of better-than-16-color modes (though I haven't had a whole lot of luck with that so far) if you download the new boot1.rom (be sure to also grab the updated boot0.rom), 3mbps UART-based TCP/IP, UART MIDI at native speeds, MiSTerFS (a way for DOS to access the MiSTer's filesystem as a drive), and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

It's a huge update, and the result of a ton of awesome work. I just wouldn't expect too many more clock speed improvements in the near future.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Got my MiSTer today. Assembly was a breeze after I realized that you have to flip the standoffs for the case I bought. Followed an Owlnonymous video to get the SD card setup and all the cores installed.

Now I’m playing Neo Geo games and couldn’t be happier. This thing is good.

Foodchain
Oct 13, 2005

Is there any way to use real controllers with this thing yet? I saw something called a BlisSTer/BlissBox which seems like it will let me do this, but it doesn't seem like it's compatible with Genesis controllers. I imagine I can get some controller -> usb adapters, but I'm really looking for something more "premium" I guess.

edit: Oh, it is compatible. They just have it listed under db9 connectors. Cool.

Foodchain fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 18, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Foodchain posted:

Is there any way to use real controllers with this thing yet? I saw something called a BlisSTer/BlissBox which seems like it will let me do this, but it doesn't seem like it's compatible with Genesis controllers. I imagine I can get some controller -> usb adapters, but I'm really looking for something more "premium" I guess.

edit: Oh, it is compatible. They just have it listed under db9 connectors. Cool.
There are a few options for real controllers.

The easiest is to just use USB adapters, which are readily available for basically every major platform and appear as standard USB HID gamepads to anything you plug them in to.

There are also a few options out there to use the "serial" interface on the I/O boards as a native controller interface. SNAC is the officially recommended option, but only supports one native device. BlisSTer support two. I'm not sure if LLcoolJoy has actually been released yet and there's at least one more I can't recall.

In theory these give you literally native controller performance, and if you're using a CRT you can even usually use light guns and the like. The downside is that each core needs explicit support, so only SNAC works with default cores. You need "LLAPI" versions of the cores to use BlisSTer and the others have their own. You're at the mercy of those port developers to get updates.

IMO if you care about lightguns or weird non-standard controllers that don't map to normal gamepad behaviors then you should look in to the native options, if not stick to USB.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How is this thing doing nowadays? What is the compatibility like for the major systems? I know a year or so ago it was definitely a work in progress. But how are things now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

How is this thing doing nowadays? What is the compatibility like for the major systems? I know a year or so ago it was definitely a work in progress. But how are things now?

poo poo is robust and appreciating fast. Arcade cores are coming in almost weekly from Jotego, we’re on the horizon of CPS with QSound (think Punisher/SNSM).

I know the thread title hasn’t gotten a refresh since the Bally Midway titles made the scene, but that doesn’t mean the MiSTer isn’t getting better all the time. There’s even a dude that cranks out wallpapers for it. We’re probably gonna see CPS2 by the end of the year.

What are you looking for in the MiSTer?