Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 220 days!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you could alter this so it lets you go into work and mindlessly perform your duties, so you're only actively conscious on evenings and weekends, I'd be in on day one.

I read a horror story about this once.

You probably figured it out, but an AI arose from the networked subconscious and took over, leaving the conscious mind an observer without agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

whoa found a fix for this tweet

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

ekuNNN posted:

How does Mozilla make money? Do they also sell data?

This was an episode of Community

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/bigthink/status/1293573063305551872

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

This gives me hope that some day they can restore my brain functions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BREAKING: the pig has released a statement:

“Was I a good cop?”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Honest Thief posted:

gotta love how by the for-profit and it was our biggest bet for a open web
cool, cool,cool

none of the foundation was laid off afaict. what do you mean by “the nonprofit side of mozilla got axed”?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

BREAKING: the pig has released a statement:

“Was I a good cop?”

"You were, but then we brought you back."

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

There's no escape from Hellworld lmao

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It will be used to resurrect suicides at amazon fulfillment centers, and since zombies arent legally people they're now legally the property of Bezos.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

Pulling down my mask to reveal a second mask that says gently caress You

https://twitter.com/dril/status/575121631846227968?s=20

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

Pulling down my mask to reveal a second mask that says gently caress You

Subcomandante Marcos of the EZLN revealing his true identity:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Nothus posted:

There's no escape from Hellworld lmao

weren't the zombie pigs a thing last year or in 2018? Like I specifically remember pod drat america joking about pig zombies taking jake's doordash job within the next years when I was driving up to visit family for thanksgiving. Or have they just been able to restore even more brain functions?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolness Averted posted:

weren't the zombie pigs a thing last year or in 2018? Like I specifically remember pod drat america joking about pig zombies taking jake's doordash job within the next years when I was driving up to visit family for thanksgiving. Or have they just been able to restore even more brain functions?

ah yeah article is from april 2019

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Coolness Averted posted:

they actually voluntarily paused research because it was going so incredibly well that they were afraid of the tiniest sliver of a remote chance that they could restore enough brain function to create undead suffering, and felt there needed to be an ethical framework to deal with the issue before the science reached that point

doubtless their research will soon be picked up by scientists with no such compunctions (or any compunctions about anything at all ever)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

this allows promising torture victims the torture will continue after they die. So I'd imagine the cia is all over it

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

doubtless their research is redundant and simplistic compared to black budget projects from the 90s

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Gonna p zombie a pig zombie and make the Nether real

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

eSports Chaebol posted:

doubtless their research will soon be picked up by scientists with no such compunctions (or any compunctions about anything at all ever)

So, engineers?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

eSports Chaebol posted:

Remember when Teller designed a nuclear bomb that would destroy the entire world and proposed that instead of thousands of warheads, America should just build one of those and threaten people with it? After that he was no longer allowed to design nuclear weapons. I feel like nowadays they'd build that nuke and wire it to go off automatically if the stock market goes down too fast.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

taqueso posted:

this allows promising torture victims the torture will continue after they die. So I'd imagine the cia is all over it

quote:

“We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?”

— Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

immortality, but only for cops. they, at least, deserve to suffer in being.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

There's a Banks book about uploading people's mind to a virtual hell. Awful to think about the consequences of involuntary immortality.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

so food for thought: you're in prison with a comically long sentence, well past your natural life expectancy, and let's say you hosed up real bad so now you're in solitary

you're in year 50 of your sentence and then you just keel over dead one morning, except now the year is 2022 and they are testing brain-fixing-jelly on prisoners because this is hellworld, so you pop back up ready to serve the next 400 years of your sentence

also the brain goo is expensive as hell so that cuts into funds for everything else, so now your cell is slightly darker and your only food is nutraloaf, so now not only do you have several lifetimes worth of boredom to look forward to, the food is bland and it's uncomfortably damp and the light flickers at semi-regular intervals

edit: I need to stop revising my shitposts so many times because six (9) posters beat me to the punch

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:justpost:

Why even have food if the prisoner can just be in hungry agony forever?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blatman posted:

so food for thought: you're in prison with a comically long sentence, well past your natural life expectancy, and let's say you hosed up real bad so now you're in solitary

you're in year 50 of your sentence and then you just keel over dead one morning, except now the year is 2022 and they are testing brain-fixing-jelly on prisoners because this is hellworld, so you pop back up ready to serve the next 400 years of your sentence

also the brain goo is expensive as hell so that cuts into funds for everything else, so now your cell is slightly darker and your only food is nutraloaf, so now not only do you have several lifetimes worth of boredom to look forward to, the food is bland and it's uncomfortably damp and the light flickers at semi-regular intervals

edit: I need to stop revising my shitposts so many times because six (9) posters beat me to the punch

The movie OtherLife did this pretty well.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

this is why i'm lobbying the un to declare anime and weed innate human rights, so you can be stoned and distracted in your ultraprison

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

taqueso posted:

:justpost:

Why even have food if the prisoner can just be in hungry agony forever?

there's actually been lawsuits saying nutraloaf is cruel and unusual punishment, it seems like for optimizing suffering you'd feed them nutraloaf but not enough to actually stave off hunger entirely, so it both sucks because it sucks and it sucks because you're being food tortured

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

blatman posted:

literally one of the "o'brien must suffer" ds9 episodes

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

blatman posted:

Is this the plot to Dark Souls? I never got past the tutorial.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hobbesmaster posted:

literally one of the "o'brien must suffer" ds9 episodes

poo poo I knew I was ripping something off

Tulip posted:

Is this the plot to Dark Souls? I never got past the tutorial.

just about! poo poo I knew I was ripping something off

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC while they restored brain function there was no activity associated with consciousness so it might be that while some parts can be reactivated in a fairly generous window, once that poo poo is gone it's gone.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

christmas boots posted:

IIRC while they restored brain function there was no activity associated with consciousness so it might be that while some parts can be reactivated in a fairly generous window, once that poo poo is gone it's gone.

So you're saying that like, a new person is born with just an old beat up body/brain.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tulip posted:

So you're saying that like, a new person is born with just an old beat up body/brain.

Maybe in the way that a new Terri Schiavo was born in 1990

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

But can they be tortured

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

A four hour span is unimpressive for this.

There are a few cases of children who fell into cold water, died from hypothermia, and had their corpses recovered and revived four hours later. Mammalian diving reflex is one hell of a thing.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

T-man posted:

this is why i'm lobbying the un to declare anime and weed innate human rights, so you can be stoned and distracted in your ultraprison

See, depending on the person, this works as a torture too though. If you gave me weed and anime with nothing else to do 24/7 my brain would be creating an even more potent than usual non stop running dialogue about what a giant piece of poo poo I am, punctuated by a deep and unnamable existential sorrow generated by catching a random scene of One Piece out of the corner of my eye while rocking back and forth on my sweat stained cot, wishing for pizza rolls and that I had read one of those self published crazy paramilitary nut books where they teach you how to choke on your own tongue when captured by enemy forces or whatever.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
slap fight

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1294000485146546184?s=20

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

taqueso posted:

But can they be tortured

probably not, I mean the tech is most likely going to top out at "very low functioning" so perfect for creating drones for menial tasks, if even there. Though I guess there's plenty of room for torturing someone psychologically because they know this awaits them. Or not letting someone know the zombie currently reacting to the torture they're watching isn't really their comrade/loved one anymore and is just a mindless husk responding to physical stimuli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

none of the foundation was laid off afaict. what do you mean by “the nonprofit side of mozilla got axed”?
from what I seen teams like MDN, Servo, ff devtools, which I assume were all part of the foundation, were either gutted or eliminated

Honest Thief has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Aug 13, 2020