Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i always parse that as neuro-linguistic programming when i initially encounter it. thanks stephenson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/rajiinio/status/1293863147485515776

There's more on the International Baccalaureate model in the thread too. It's bad.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it hurt me to look at that, so i didn't follow up, but that is some horrible joke right?

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it hurt me to look at that, so i didn't follow up, but that is some horrible joke right?

Yes the Tories are all giggling like mad.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
more of a practical joke really

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

britian has always been more open about their contempt for social mobility than the us where our rich people pretend to be from humble beginnings

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ultrafilter posted:

There's more on the International Baccalaureate model in the thread too. It's bad.

lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

yeah you could machine learn it or you could just take a sample and do boring rear end statistics. I guess the boring statistics won’t accidentally say a picture of fiesta cat has a 60% chance of being accepted to Science

mystes
May 31, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Since coronavirus has also disrupted the market economy, rather than actually having companies provide goods and services, what if we just use an ai model to predict what goods and services people would have bought and then give all the money to the richest 1%?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mystes posted:

Since coronavirus has also disrupted the market economy, rather than actually having companies provide goods and services, what if we just use an ai model to predict what goods and services people would have bought and then give all the money to the richest 1%?

gently caress it why not, makes number go up right

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/KLdivergence/status/1297317250379079680

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
ah, the trick there is that no one cares about criminals

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

did someone say algorithms in education
https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/2/21419012/edgenuity-online-class-ai-grading-keyword-mashing-students-school-cheating-algorithm-glitch
"Profit Diversity Spain Gaul China India Africa" *gets 100%*

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

quote:

They often copy the text of their questions and paste it into the answer field, assuming it’s likely to contain the relevant keywords. One told me they used the trick all throughout last semester and received full credit “pretty much every time.”

lol this owns

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

loving lol that it also works that way for algebra assignments

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. how do you gently caress up a math test? its litterrally math

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

seems like it’s preparing them well to get their resumes past automated filters, if nothing else.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

lol. how do you gently caress up a math test? its litterrally math

in the mid 2000s for physics class we had this homework system that varies the exact numbers for each student and could get very oddly picky about precision which would sometimes actually require a technically incorrect answer

ie students get 10.06, 10.2 and 10 and it requires 4 sigfigs which the third student would have no idea about

of course we all compared notes and eventually a friend of mine was emailing a complete list of formulas that would result in the answer and the expected form the answer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the written test for a pilot's license has questions where you have to calculate weight and balance using graphs that look like this, photocopied just as poorly

i.e. calculate the loading for front-seat occupants weighing 310lb, 12 gallons of fuel, and 20lb of baggage

you're expected to be able to interpolate to at least half a grid square and ideally 1/10. you can't bring your own pencils in so you get a dull felt-tip pen and a plastic sheet to draw lines. the question requires multiple stages of arithmetic and the answers are multiple choice and will be like: 80.1, 80.2, 79.8.

lots of people have no idea how to make a good test, apparently

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 3, 2020

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

in the mid 2000s for physics class we had this homework system that varies the exact numbers for each student and could get very oddly picky about precision which would sometimes actually require a technically incorrect answer

ie students get 10.06, 10.2 and 10 and it requires 4 sigfigs which the third student would have no idea about

of course we all compared notes and eventually a friend of mine was emailing a complete list of formulas that would result in the answer and the expected form the answer

picking the right formula and plugging things in is litterrally all there is to physics 101 so you guys ended up learning something by accident

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
significant digits is one of those things they don't teach very well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I swear half of freshman chemistry was just on sigfigs

how many JavaScript front end devs with CS degrees do you think remember any of their numerical methods class?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lliitteerraallyy

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

DELETE CASCADE posted:

I remember learning them in high school and then never really dealing with them again until my online physics homework in college would yell at me about them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

meanwhile mechanical engineers don’t learn the related concept, tolerances, until they get a quote from a CM or get yelled at by someone on the factory floor

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm running a Post My Favorite thread where I'm posting a bunch of stats/ML/etc. papers that I find interesting. Some of you may as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/TB_Times/status/1301542985860034560

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

minori~1.rpt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sheriffs departments are generally the dumber, meaner version of police which is saying a lot but they typically have lower standards for entry

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

qirex posted:

sheriffs departments are generally the dumber, meaner version of police which is saying a lot but they typically have lower standards for entry

and sheriffs generally have a lot more power and less accountability than municipal police departments!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

qirex posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

and sheriffs generally have a lot more power and less accountability than municipal police departments!

These two things are not entirely unrelated.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

put this in the cyberpunk thread too

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

minori~1.rpt

It's kind of ridiculous how badly Minority Report failed to anticipate the actual consequences of police attempting to predict crime.

E: Remember the part where the precog system is exposed as having made a single mistake under incredibly unlikely circumstances, so they shut the entire system down and release all the prisoners convicted under it?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

and the mistake wasn't so much a mistake as it was a not-psychic loving up and dismissing the "you've got murder" popup cause he thought he'd read it already, and the only way for the precogs to communicate otherwise was to keep showing it to him

it was fun as a "put on your robe and wizard hat and play with this premise for a little bit" movie but drat, don't think about it at all once it's over

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the most horrifying part of the minority report universe is the nightstick that makes you barf

imagine the damage a 13 year old could do with one of those

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
if i were a teenager itd be:

hook the barf stick up to a toilet seat in the the high school bathroom and when someone goes in for a dump wait for the first plop and hit the “double ender” button and become an instant legend

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the most immediately horrifying part to me was the underground surgeon leaving a perfectly good sandwich and milk in the fridge for his temporarily-blind patient, but not cleaning up the old rotten maggoty/fermented sandwich and milk from (presumably) his previous patient

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/PhDemetri/status/1303046501585780737

mystes
May 31, 2006

Viewers who like Jordan Peterson also like: Hitler.

Sounds like it's basically working properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

what were you expecting, dr. demetri?