Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nitrox posted:

Out of everything Ducati has to offer, you think the Monster is fast?

My motorcycle experience to date involves riding a 125cc dirt bike around a parking lot a few afternoons. And I rode a scooter in Europe a few times.

You’re right I should buy a Ducati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Out of everything Ducati has to offer, you think the Monster is fast?

If the crash kills me, there won't be any settlement money.

Residency Evil posted:

My thought process has gone as such:

"I've always wanted one too"
"But I can't afford one"
"That's not true. I could totally afford one."
"But I don't have a motorcycle license"
"But I could get one pretty easily"
"Why exactly don't I have one again?"

gently caress.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 14, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KillHour posted:

If the crash kills me, there won't be any settlement money.

There will be settlement money, its just your heirs who will be buying cars.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Maybe if you die I guess, but the last time I got hit on my bike I only got a couple grand on top of the medical and property bills.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TheBacon posted:

Maybe if you die I guess, but the last time I got hit on my bike I only got a couple grand on top of the medical and property bills.
Maybe you had a bad lawyer.

Jokes aside, motorcycles are wonderful. I used to build cars, but then quickly realized that you can buy a used sport bike for 2-3K and have more they'll and performance right out of the box. The amount of happiness per dollar is unreal. Now I ride heavy boring dad bikes across the country, and loving every minute of it.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Gangringo posted:

Just how terrible of an idea is the Alfa Romeo Giulia? The 4 cylinder not the 6. There's a lot of them with very few miles available. I keep hearing they have reliability problems but most of the data I see says they aren't really any worse now than the other non-japanese import luxury brands and the reputation is a carryover from old alphas.

My car brain sees trouble, but my car dick sees a near-new Italian sports sedan for $25k.

I was interested in the Giulia, but (based on what I read online) the first model year seemed to have an almost comical level of problems. (See article linked below).
https://jalopnik.com/the-alfa-romeo-giulia-is-the-perfect-unreliable-italian-1796883384

But what really clinched it for me were stories on the Giulia forums about issues with service from the dealer network. At least in the USA, most Giulias are sold and serviced at FCA dealers. And it turns out, service departments used to fixing Dodge trucks and Chrysler minivans are not so good with servicing exotic (to them) foreign cars.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

My motorcycle experience to date involves riding a 125cc dirt bike around a parking lot a few afternoons. And I rode a scooter in Europe a few times.

You probably need a RSV4. 217hp

https://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/models/rsv4/rsv4-factory-1100-4s4v-2020/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah the ATS is out, the V is the only interesting model and they're way out of the budget.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Hey so that dude took the Civic out to show it to me and crashed it with me inside (neat) so I'm looking at cars again. Right now I'm targeting 2009-2011 manual Civics, but I'm open to suggestions for sporty-ish commuter cars in the same price range (just looking for, reliability, gas mileage, and fun). :shrug:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

lol, hope you are ok, assume so since you didn't say anything. No crash details?

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

taqueso posted:

lol, hope you are ok, assume so since you didn't say anything. No crash details?
Sore back, but I'm relatively okay. A driver pulled in front of us from side-street and we t-boned. No serious injuries for anyone thankfully, and the guy selling the car wasn't at fault. I was probably gonna buy it, too. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Godzilla07 posted:

This speaks to another issue: how much of a pain would it be for you to get any of the cars on your longlist serviced in your part of the world? This factor may seriously constrain your choices. It might not apply if you're willing to do your own work and wait for parts to come in the mail.

I didn't remember to respond to this but that isn't an issue. We have Hyundai and KIA dealerships and they announced they will be constructing a stand lone Genesis dealer next year. Service won't be an issue, it's just finding the cars to test drive. There is a G70 on a lot here but they're one of the worst to deal with and told me last year they'd need to run a credit check before I test drove anything.

https://sweetcars.com/detail/?id=12367A

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Grimes posted:

Hey so that dude took the Civic out to show it to me and crashed it with me inside (neat) so I'm looking at cars again. Right now I'm targeting 2009-2011 manual Civics, but I'm open to suggestions for sporty-ish commuter cars in the same price range (just looking for, reliability, gas mileage, and fun). :shrug:

Mazda 3
Honda Fit

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

Mazda 3
Honda Fit
Thanks. I've heard a lot about Mazda 3 manuals having issues from that year range (premature clutch-wear etc) but then again the Civics have severe paint peeling so v:downs:v. I'm keeping my eyes open for Honda Fits.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
I've narrowed my search down to either a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid LE or a 2020 Prius LE (with AWD).

- I live in a very snowy city with that has a pretty poor plowing service.
- Most of my driving is city driving. I don't offroad.
- My partner and I want plenty of cargo space for hauling poo poo, so we ruled out the Toyota sedan hybrids.
- I see plenty of Prii in my city which indicates that they are working out for people.

I'm leaning towards the Prius (which seems to be the thread consensus?) but it'd be helpful to know if there's anything in particular to help rule out the RAV4. The weak acceleration on the Prius is the only thing that gave me a little bit of pause.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

LinYutang posted:

I've narrowed my search down to either a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid LE or a 2020 Prius LE (with AWD).

- I live in a very snowy city with that has a pretty poor plowing service.
- Most of my driving is city driving. I don't offroad.
- My partner and I want plenty of cargo space for hauling poo poo, so we ruled out the Toyota sedan hybrids.
- I see plenty of Prii in my city which indicates that they are working out for people.

I'm leaning towards the Prius (which seems to be the thread consensus?) but it'd be helpful to know if there's anything in particular to help rule out the RAV4. The weak acceleration on the Prius is the only thing that gave me a little bit of pause.

Depending on just how bad your plow service is, ground clearance might be a concern. The RAV4 hybrids have about 3 inches more than the Prius.

As far as acceleration goes, the Prius is not remotely fast or fun to drive in a sports car sense, but it can get out of its own way at low speeds thanks to the electric motor's torque. It can get to 60 in about 10 seconds. Anyone who tries to tell you it's dangerously underpowered or inadequate for normal driving is actually just saying they don't know how to drive.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I personally wouldn't buy a Prius because I don't like them, and don't think that they are fun to drive, but they have plenty of power for everyday driving. According to Google, a new Prius has about the same 0-60mph time as a 90's base-model-engined Camry or Corolla.

Just don't be afraid to floor it when e.g. matching the speed of the traffic when merging onto a freeway. A lot of Americans buy vehicles with really big engines but never actually put the pedal to the metal.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 16, 2020

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Space Gopher posted:

It can get to 60 in about 10 seconds. Anyone who tries to tell you it's dangerously underpowered or inadequate for normal driving is actually just saying they don't know how to drive.

Which seems like every car reviewer on earth whining anything economical is so frustratingly slow when their last review was like a Huracan or an M5. Almost every new hybrid I'm looking at is faster than my Fit.

From what I can tell people drive hybrids slower, in a more economical way, as the car actively coaches them to do so. The Prius is a high performance car, just in MPG, not 0-60 or Nürburgring times.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if it's very snow like, say, rochester / buffalo / Fort Collins then i would recommend you get the extra ground clearance in the RAV-4. if it's very snow like, say, Detroit, i wouldn't bother

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Yeah I drive my 2000 Camry in my city and haven't had issues with the clearance in snow so I don't think it'll be a big deal. Good thing to think about though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One thing you might want to do some research on how the OE tires are in the snow if you aren't planning on snow tires. Not sure if this is still the case, but I remember for some time the low rolling resistance eco tires on the Prius were notably extra bad in the snow. I think eco tires have gotten a lot better since then so it might not be an issue anymore though.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Also look at the Prius prime. I don’t remember if you said if you’re going new or used, purchase or lease, but I got the prime and enjoy the ev-only life for most (90%) of my driving, and only plug it into a regular wall outlet. If you’re doing new, and you have enough tax liability to get the full 4.5k from the fed*, it can be worth it to actually spend “more” on it than a regular Prius.

*: might be hard to do in this hosed up year.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I actually posted in this thread about 1-2 years ago and it turned out we didn’t need to buy at the time, but it was very helpful. Thanks! It does turn out that we *will* need to buy in the next year or so, as our current older Ford Focus won’t fit the primary driver and two rear-facing car seats. Those things are huge and presently unavoidable.

Our challenge: we really don’t want to get an SUV, which is apparently 90% of the US car market. We’re not big fans of sedans- we prefer the cargo flexibility of wagons and hatches- and our only parking space is fairly small.

Proposed Budget: ~<$25k

New or Used: new or lightly used

Body Style: 4 door def. Wagon, hatch, maaaybe a small crossover if we have to. Auto or manual ok.

How will you be using the car?: family’s only car- daily driver, haul kid(s). Semi-urban area, some snow but not enough to really require 4wd

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: No, but solidly made is nice because we would like to have it for 10 years.

What aspects are most important to you?: Fitting the dang car seats in the back while not driving a huge, unresponsive boat. A good drive is nice, but it doesn’t *have* to be fun if the option isn’t there. Safety is important, and we prefer any tech/infotainment to be unobtrusive and well designed.

So far we’re looking at the Subaru Crosstrek (kinda big..), VW Golf Sportwagen (barely exists), and the Corolla/Civic Hatches (will probably be too cramped in the back).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Buick Regal wagon.

BMW 3 Series wagon (German cost of upkeep caveat)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BadSamaritan posted:

So far we’re looking at the Subaru Crosstrek (kinda big..), VW Golf Sportwagen (barely exists), and the Corolla/Civic Hatches (will probably be too cramped in the back).

The Crosstrek and Sportwagen are about the same, as is the civic. Cars.com also has a series of car seat fit tests that are OK and might help you out: https://www.cars.com/news/car-seat-check/

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It might be worth exploring changing car seats to something that fits better than buying a car to fit around the car seats. Especially with kids only being rear facing for a couple of years. Car seat sizes have gotten huge as people perceive the larger ones with super bolstering and padding to be safer than the ones without all that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone driven the Regal Tourx? I'm curious about whether it's actually any fun to drive or is just better than an SUV/minivan.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Uthor posted:

Buick Regal wagon.

BMW 3 Series wagon (German cost of upkeep caveat)

If the guy thinks the subcompact Crosstrek is "kinda big", then a Regal TourX is going to be "fuckin' massive"

That said, the Crosstrek is really no larger than the also-mentioned Civic/Corolla, and is actually smaller than the Golf Alltrack. It's just an Impreza, afterall.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the golf alltrack is a slightly lifted sportwagen and is good to drive (source i own one), and they made and sold more than they did the sportwagen. the crosstrek is not much bigger than a focus (5 inches longer) and the wheelbase is shorter, so i'm not sure the seats will fit. on the other hand the focus' packaging was abysmal so maybe!

the scion iM might be a decent choice if you can find one of the six they built. again, if you're set on your seats you are going to have to test them out in anything you drive. i also like the Regal Tour X option if you discover that the compact hatch/wagon segment is not big enough, but be warned that it's not a small car.

powderific posted:

Has anyone driven the Regal Tourx? I'm curious about whether it's actually any fun to drive or is just better than an SUV/minivan.

it's not fun exactly, it's a buick regal with extra weight. it's not a bad drive, but think more Honda Accord than BMW 3-series. It does not feel fast for a 250hp car, but it's pretty adequate. The transmission is lazy and tuned for fuel economy but it is sensible and responds pretty well.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
I've got 2 rear facing car seats in my Mazda3 hatch. Specifically got lower profile ones though for that. And had to adjust the seat a bunch. And I'm short. My knee still touches the dash a lot of the time.

Good luck!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Someone at work is selling a 2016 Kia Sedona. The car's got 50k on the ODO and seems super clean aside from carseat indentations, which are expected from minivans. They're selling it for 13k OBO; it looks like trade-in goes for 13k on KBB. I kinda need to replace my aging SUV, but never considered Kia before. I suspect I can get this for 12-12.5k which would make it a screaming deal. They've been trying to sell it at work for the past month or so but got no bites as everyone is working from home and doesn't need a car.

Any thoughts? Anything I should look out for? It's been dealer maintained.

Edit: I've got two youngish kids (5 and 7) and mostly use a larger car to cart them places and for weekend trips, sometimes we'll venture someplace farther for a week.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

BadSamaritan posted:

I actually posted in this thread about 1-2 years ago and it turned out we didn’t need to buy at the time, but it was very helpful. Thanks! It does turn out that we *will* need to buy in the next year or so, as our current older Ford Focus won’t fit the primary driver and two rear-facing car seats. Those things are huge and presently unavoidable.

Our challenge: we really don’t want to get an SUV, which is apparently 90% of the US car market. We’re not big fans of sedans- we prefer the cargo flexibility of wagons and hatches- and our only parking space is fairly small.

[...]

Honda is great at interior packaging, so the Civic Hatch may have just enough room for you.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's not fun exactly, it's a buick regal with extra weight. it's not a bad drive, but think more Honda Accord than BMW 3-series. It does not feel fast for a 250hp car, but it's pretty adequate. The transmission is lazy and tuned for fuel economy but it is sensible and responds pretty well.

Ah, that's what I figured.

Is there anything with a manual, a lot of space in the back, and decent fun to toss around? Right now I drive a GX470 and need most of the horizontal cargo space plus a roof box, but for a vehicle of its size there isn't THAT much space. Something like 40" long with seats up, 60" with them down; 45" wide at the door/floor, 55" wide at the beltline. The roof is pretty high, which is nice for loading but not that useful for my gear. I get that fun wagons aren't exactly common though.

On the other end of the spectrum I wish pickups weren't such a hot commodity— a short box ranger or colorado would easily fit everything I need in the bed and I'd still have rear seats, and obviously a half ton whatever holds even more. But drat they are pricy.

Much as I love the GX470 the chances of me building the offroad rig of my dreams have gotten small thanks to some work and life changes, so it'd be nice to either have something more fun on road or that gives me more utility for the size/truckness. BFC me says sticking with it is probably for the best though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Any reason not to buy a 2010 Mazda5? They're suspiciously cheap around me, but I don't know if that's because almost no one wanted them when they were new, or because there's some deeper issues that I can't find on Google

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

powderific posted:

Is there anything with a manual, a lot of space in the back, and decent fun to toss around?

Unless a GTI, Forcus, Elantra, Veloster, Kia Soul, Mazda3, etc are big enough, no.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You could get a sportwagen / alltrack, take it to APR, and drop like two grand on suspension and it would be pretty decent.

Otherwise hello used CTS-V manual

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Forgot about the CTS-V wagon. That’s the dream really, but outside the budget for the time being. I hadn’t considered that some suspension work might make a sportwagen kinda like a long GTI though. They’d have about the right amount of space.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

skipdogg posted:

It might be worth exploring changing car seats to something that fits better than buying a car to fit around the car seats. Especially with kids only being rear facing for a couple of years. Car seat sizes have gotten huge as people perceive the larger ones with super bolstering and padding to be safer than the ones without all that.

Serious question, are thin car seats still sold in the US? It seems absolutely insane that Americans seem to need to buy a loving SUV to fit a rear facing car seat when thousands of Europeans do the same thing in polos and golfs.

Like seriously, here people are buying an item worth tens of thousands of dollars around items that costs hundreds. It makes no goddamn sense.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

nm posted:

Serious question, are thin car seats still sold in the US?
Since drivers here are legitimately insane we buy these chonkin pieces of plastic because they have "shock absorbing lateral wings" and are supposed to be 12-in-one omniseats that last for the life of the child. But they don't tell you it's just plastic with a layer of Styrofoam.

They get WAY thinner when they're just booster seats suitable for ages 4 and up, which is funny because then you don't want to keep the huge bullshit seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

Proposed Budget: ~<$25k

New or Used: new or lightly used

Body Style: 4 door def. Wagon, hatch, maaaybe a small crossover if we have to. Auto or manual ok.

How will you be using the car?: family’s only car- daily driver, haul kid(s). Semi-urban area, some snow but not enough to really require 4wd

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: No, but solidly made is nice because we would like to have it for 10 years.

What aspects are most important to you?: Fitting the dang car seats in the back while not driving a huge, unresponsive boat. A good drive is nice, but it doesn’t *have* to be fun if the option isn’t there. Safety is important, and we prefer any tech/infotainment to be unobtrusive and well designed.

You can still get lightly used low mileage Scion xB's pretty cheap, they were last made in 2015. I got my second xB with 30k miles on it for $13k out the door and it drives like new.

The reason I say second xB is because I was in a bad accident and the car saved my life, they are very safe cars. Of course it was totaled, and I was looking at other cars but came back to the xB for the same parameters you have, most notably safety and price, I couldn't find anything comparable for the price that had the same utility as an SUV but still drives like a good handling car. It's basically a wagon. I also love the simple yet very effective infotainment system.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the scion iM might be a decent choice if you can find one of the six they built. again, if you're set on your seats you are going to have to test them out in anything you drive. i also like the Regal Tour X option if you discover that the compact hatch/wagon segment is not big enough, but be warned that it's not a small car.

I wanted to like the iM but it was just too small inside, the cargo area is disappointing to say the least, just like the Corolla hatch that came after it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 19, 2020