Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dangerous Mind posted:

That's part of why I want to get a systems engineering job at a different company -> other companies have particular software systems in place to handle these things (JIRA, DOORS, etc), and maybe I could get exposed to program planning and budgeting too.

This is better.

More feedback:
-IMO, A Purdue engineering grad who went to SpaceX in SJC is a stronger candidate than a U Iowa person who went to Midwest Cisco. You'll be able to migrate into the job you want mostly on resume and not being a totally fresh new grad. Doesn't hurt to make it even better though.
-I wouldnt repeat responsibilities in two different jobs, changing jobs at a company should show a career progression with increasing impacts and responsibilities if possible.
-Software validation in a simulated environment is very important for SE. If you've done that validation testing using hardware-in-the-loop systems, as opposed to software only running on a server simulator, I'd mention that.
-I'd watch some Lynda.com videos on Jira and then stick it in there, its something recruiters may be taught to look for.
-You're telling me SpaceX doesn't have a requirements tracking software? I find that hard to believe. Particularly because many contracts I've worked on have specifically required DOORS outputs as a contract deliverable.
-You'll curse the day you said you wish you had experience with DOORS, boy is it bad compared to Jira.
-If you go to a defense co that is working on a project >$20M they'll likely be looking for suckers to do earned value management as its legally required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah I agree, this is a pretty good resume now. CarForumPoster gave some great advice.

Get some "Agile Methodology" and Scrum on there too, it'll help especially getting through the HR firewall. Doing a couple hours of familiarization will help as that will likely come up in a lot of interviews. Again, if you don't have any direct experience go watch some videos. You can probably pull things like "filezilla, FTP, Serial, SSH, Telnet, etc" off to make room if you need.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
We do follow the agile software development process, but not sure how to bring it up on my resume.

Again, aside from job titles, the companies, university, locations, and time periods worked were changed to hide revealing info. I'll throw on my real info once my resume is at the level it should be.

Appreciate your feedback. I'll look into getting at least a cursory knowledge of JIRA/DOORS, etc, and if I'm comfortable I'll add them to my skills section.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dangerous Mind posted:

We do follow the agile software development process, but not sure how to bring it up on my resume.

Again, aside from job titles, the companies, university, locations, and time periods worked were changed to hide revealing info. I'll throw on my real info once my resume is at the level it should be.

Appreciate your feedback. I'll look into getting at least a cursory knowledge of JIRA/DOORS, etc, and if I'm comfortable I'll add them to my skills section.

Change "Collaboration Tools" With something like "Collaboration Skills" and then you can add Agile (and Jira) in there along witht he other stuff. You can honestly probably remove the entire line of "Communication Protocols" if you need room. Seeing as you are trying to get into design/Product Management you really need to highlight the collab part of your skillset.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dangerous Mind posted:

Don't do this. All of those things you changed impact the advice we give, sometimes in a big way.

Someone who went to a T10 engineering school and SV big tech brand gets different advice than someone who went to an okay school and stayed in the mid west at a good-but-not-front-page large company. Additionally, since myself, Sundae and a few others in this thread have worked in SV, you can get location specific advice as well. Heck, you may even get an interview offer.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 13, 2020

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Yea all my experience is based in the midwest at F500 companies. Not sure that I'd even get an interview at a FAANG in SV to be honest.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dangerous Mind posted:

Yea all my experience is based in the midwest at F500 companies. Not sure that I'd even get an interview at a FAANG in SV to be honest.

You'd be surprised.

I had a 3.005 undergrad GPA at a middle of the road state school, but lots of work experience as a technician in an engineering field. I got a job at one of the FAANGs via a recruiter misunderstanding my undergrad research and reaching out via LinkedIn. (My LinkedIn was/is awesome.) I read a textbook every minute I could for 2 weeks on the subject they were hiring me for and they ended up offering me a different job than I interviewed for originally because they thought I learned fast. This is why I post in this thread.

Being an okay candidate with a compelling, easy to skim resume/LinkedIn is better than being a decent candidate with a white noise or bad resume, though still not better than a T10 school + FAANG.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I still believe Netflix is only in there just to make it a non offensive acronym

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

I still believe Netflix is only in there just to make it a non offensive acronym

I say out with Netflix and tack on Spacex

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'll just sit here and wait for the reports

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Dangerous Mind posted:

If you want it, the easiest way to get a FAANG interview is just to know someone at the company you're looking at. The internal referral game is no joke and from there it's all interview prep.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

Shrimpy posted:

If you want it, the easiest way to get a FAANG interview is just to know someone at the company you're looking at. The internal referral game is no joke and from there it's all interview prep.

Hmm now that you mention it I do know a couple people working at Facebook and Google as product managers and software engineers. Maybe there is some hope for me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dangerous Mind posted:

Hmm now that you mention it I do know a couple people working at Facebook and Google as product managers and software engineers. Maybe there is some hope for me.

They prob get referral bonuses if you're hired so definitely reach out to them about applying and maybe ask what the process is for them to get a bonus in case they need to put you in first.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

CarForumPoster posted:

Don't do this. All of those things you changed impact the advice we give, sometimes in a big way.

Someone who went to a T10 engineering school and SV big tech brand gets different advice than someone who went to an okay school and stayed in the mid west at a good-but-not-front-page large company. Additionally, since myself, Sundae and a few others in this thread have worked in SV, you can get location specific advice as well. Heck, you may even get an interview offer.

Give me advice. I am in the midwest with a good-but-not-front-pagecompany

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical

CarForumPoster posted:

They prob get referral bonuses if you're hired so definitely reach out to them about applying and maybe ask what the process is for them to get a bonus in case they need to put you in first.

Do you know if FAANG or whatever acronym companies at those tech hubs will ask Leetcode puzzles for PMs? Don't want to be caught off-guard incase I land an interview. For my job they only asked behavioral questions, which was nice.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

barkbell posted:

Give me advice. I am in the midwest with a good-but-not-front-pagecompany

Post a question or resume

Dangerous Mind posted:

Do you know if FAANG or whatever acronym companies at those tech hubs will ask Leetcode puzzles for PMs?

Hopefully someone can chime in as I have no idea. I got hired as a new grad to do mechanical/manufacturing stuff and my PM adjacent work was in defense. Im a recent computer toucher.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've heard of PMs getting leet code style questions but I think it's no longer done. Case questions are used though.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Dangerous Mind posted:

Do you know if FAANG or whatever acronym companies at those tech hubs will ask Leetcode puzzles for PMs? Don't want to be caught off-guard incase I land an interview. For my job they only asked behavioral questions, which was nice.

Look at the pinned threads here: https://leetcode.com/discuss/interview-question?currentPage=1&orderBy=hot&query=

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

CarForumPoster posted:

Post a question or resume

I just got hired to TA for a code school through the local community xolllege. How do I add this to a resume? I can’t say fielded java questions over zoom.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

barkbell posted:

I just got hired to TA for a code school through the local community xolllege. How do I add this to a resume? I can’t say fielded java questions over zoom.

You add it like every other job ever

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ty for te tips

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
That's why we're here. Just the tips.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What's a good way to organize skills? Using mononcqc's template for organizing, it has Programming, Data, Platforms, and Tools. I'm guessing this really comes down to which skills you have? I haven't found many good examples.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

barkbell posted:

What's a good way to organize skills? Using mononcqc's template for organizing, it has Programming, Data, Platforms, and Tools. I'm guessing this really comes down to which skills you have? I haven't found many good examples.

It’s a way to keyword stuff a resume

Post a resume

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I was thinking of scraping this thread and posting resumes with the follow up comments in a gallery. Maybe figuring out adding search to it. Is this something you guys would want?

Thinking something like this:

Modal:

I looked at my Indeed and WorkAtAStartup postings and realized I've seen >600 resumes in the past year, which got me thinking that one way to get pretty good at resumes is to read feedback on a buttload of resumes...but the thread format isnt conducive to that.

I can prob bang this out as a Heroku app in 6-8 hours.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 19, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EDITED.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
For the actually relevant jobs (the first three) more specificity as to what you accomplished that any minimally qualified rando could not have would be great, if possible.

The IT Session Temp thing contains nothing anyone will care about; ditch it. It’s concurrent with your full time job so you don’t need it to prove you’re employed, and the three bullet points only contain things a high school kid could do. (Sorry, I don’t mean to give offense; just offering resume improvement advice.)

The half page invested in your Help Desk job from six years ago is waaaaaaaaay too long. I kind of assume you probably wrote that section back when it was your current job and just left it as-is as you updated your resume over the years? in any case it contains nothing anyone hiring for the kind of roles you presumably are now seeking cares about. Condense that poo poo down to 2-3 lines max. I would also just list that as Help Desk Manager 2014-2015 and axe the three months you were a mere Technician, personally.

The job that you started during the Bush Administration, same thing but even more so.

Hope you find something helpful in there! Caveat, though, that my interviewing/hiring experience is not in the computer-toucher realm, and so the advice of those who actually hire in IT is bound to be more useful than mine.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 19, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Eric on point as usual. Numbers are good, but achievements and KPIs are more important than duties - although you may need to list certain qualifications, there's already a section for that. You may want to consider moving technical skills up with qualifications, but I don't really know what the done thing is in IT land. You probably only need the names of the jobs for your first two. If anyone wants to know more they can ask but they look pretty bog standard and I doubt an interviewer will give a gently caress what you did. Just have them there so that people know you have a Long and Storied career as an IT Professional.

Just in terms of polish, you've got some tense conflicts. Some bullet points are sentences, some are fragments, some are present tense, some are past tense.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Specific numbers are good. Not a huge fan of that format, but to be honest it's the same format mine's been in and I really need to rewrite mine.

I think 2 page resumes are fine if you have enough history but I am not sure you do. The IT Tech & The help desk thing can be cut down to just 1-line, I think, the system network from 15-16 can be cut down considerably (probably 2 bullets), same with the contract job, you have too many bullets for a 3 month gig.

Your Technical skill section doesn't mention anything with AWS which I assume you would have gotten from the Amazon cert?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EDITED.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 2, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Here's another question: What are you looking for next? Your info is decent for general purposes but if you're targeting something in particular it might help deciding what to cut down.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

I was thinking of scraping this thread and posting resumes with the follow up comments in a gallery. Maybe figuring out adding search to it. Is this something you guys would want?

I think this is a great idea and ridiculously generous, but as someone who would provide advice I am not sure how much I want to jump into another app to provide advice vs just typing it here. Like, I don't know how far I'd go vs wanting the advicee to put everything together.

If you build it I'd give it a shot for sure.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm not sure people posting their resumes would want an automated thing reposting their resumes to a different site that they don't have editorial power over.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

I think this is a great idea and ridiculously generous, but as someone who would provide advice I am not sure how much I want to jump into another app to provide advice vs just typing it here. Like, I don't know how far I'd go vs wanting the advicee to put everything together.

If you build it I'd give it a shot for sure.

You'd just post here, the software would scrape this thread. I'd probably just hit it once and leave it up rather than an ongoing basis. I'd use the links in the quote blocks to basically rebuild the thread as bootstrap cards.

Dik Hz posted:

I'm not sure people posting their resumes would want an automated thing reposting their resumes to a different site that they don't have editorial power over.

Fair though they dont have editorial power over someone quoting them. Also this thread is public without login so that already happens, e.g. archive.org

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Pro phone interview tips from two phone interviews today:

Don’t readily admit that you haven’t read the job req and ask the interviewer what the job entails.

Don’t badmouth three separate coworkers while simultaneously not giving specific or useful answers to any questions.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I just got off the phone from a phone interview and I managed not to do any of the above so I hope they hire me!

Tbh it's been so long since I've gotten a callback it took me a bit by surprise and I needed a minute to calm down and steady my voice :(

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

How long do you typically have to wait after submitting an application before hearing a response? I've just come off my Masters' in CompSci and am submitting resumes and I've mostly heard radio silence so far (not counting 'we received your email' acknowledgements)... but it's also been less than a week or two for most submissions. A good idea of what to expect would help my nerves immensely.

PS: I'm in Canada.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Quackles posted:

How long do you typically have to wait after submitting an application before hearing a response? I've just come off my Masters' in CompSci and am submitting resumes and I've mostly heard radio silence so far (not counting 'we received your email' acknowledgements)... but it's also been less than a week or two for most submissions. A good idea of what to expect would help my nerves immensely.

PS: I'm in Canada.

The longest I can recall going between resume and a reply that lead to at least a phone interview was ~6 weeks. 2~3 weeks is prob about the median at large companies unless you’re in a hot market. In SF in 2018 a full-us-citizen MS in comp sci would prob not make it to graduation without an offer and replies would average under 7 days.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I'm not sure whether this belongs here, or in the Corporate megathread but here seemed like a good enough fit so here's a hiring related question.

I'm looking to hire someone to handle customer account management at our startup. It's basically a combo of "learn how to use our business reporting software and use it to build our customer's reports for them and in some cases, demo the software and show them how to use it to build reports" and "be the customer service person that deals with onboarding new clients, and dealing with support issues" and it is made clear these are the role responsiblities in the job advertisement. Basically, you just gotta be good with SQL/Excel and be able to explain things in ways people who aren't super technical can understand. So this is a somewhat technical role, but not something you need an advanced level of experience or a degree for. So we're looking to offer a salary between 65-80K depending on what the successful candidate has to offer.

I've gotten a few applicants that seem wildly overqualified for this job. One is head of data at the local council. Another has an MBA and an engineering degree. I would imagine that they'd be making a lot more money at their current jobs than we would be able to offer them to leave. Is there a simple reason I'm missing as to why someone at an advanced level of education/experience would be applying for a job that is much more "entry level" than what they are currently doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Well, they might have lost a job or know they'll lose a job due to Covid. Or I'm sure you've met people with wildly impressive degrees who are morons, they might be working their way down due to their incompetence. Or they might just be carpet bombing resumes and not be super interested in reality. Or maybe your job and salary in your area is good enough for a wider net to bite on.

Did you post salary ranges?