Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

donoteat’s voice is exactly halfway between dearest scooter and plinkett
his voice is one where you can't tell if he is 25 or 65 and either one is believable to me. i understand why some would not like the problem podcast though i think some of them are pretty good, mostly the ones where donoteat keeps things on track.

i would pay money for him to do Musk's other projects like he did the loop. maybe bring on <rocket/car/telecom/SEC/conman> experts as guests as appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i'm not sure why you think that the only reason someone might want to listen to a nicely told story instead of three goons with ADD interrupting each other with le zany randoms is if they're a bourgeois yuppie.

anyone who's on the fence, just click through the first half hour of this 2.5 hour long ramble and see if you can follow the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCKVreNqMjI

i like it when he's by himself a lot. maybe it's just the other people in this podcast i can't stand.

yeah i wanted to like it and gave it a fair shake with a few of their earlier ones (hyatt regency walkway collapse and around there) and nah

also without the slides it's extra annoying. all of my use cases for podcasts obviate watching any visual component, sorry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man yall need to learn how to just smoke up and put a podcast on god drat

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

most independent podcasts are barely better than a poorly xeroxed newsletter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
any successful podcaster will tell you that anybody can start a podcast but very few people are good at it

its why ill never do one

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Combat Theory posted:

The Garbage Truck had a small mercedes collision assist moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEME9licodY

(The Text reads: Mercedes Collision assist, recognices dangers before they happen)

so disappointed that this video didn't go full staplerfahrer klaus

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

wtyp is fine

the digressions have been getting a bit much recently but i still enjoy it

if you don't like it, that, also, is fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BobHoward posted:

wtyp is fine

the digressions have been getting a bit much recently but i still enjoy it

if you don't like it, that, also, is fine

i will modify my take to this. yes.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i like digressions and random anecdotes in my funny goof-around podcasts but not the ones where i’m trying to learn something

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

wtyp would be a bit better if it were a little more scripted but I do like the "just a couple technically inclined people drunk-explaining poo poo" schtick

It's way better with the slides, but I'm spoiled cause I can watch it while working. I've listened to a few during commutes and it's generally much harder to follow the thread there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my final hot take:

you dont listen to wtyp because you aren't familiar with the bhopal disaster, you listen to wtyp because you are familiar with it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

my final hot take:

you dont listen to wtyp because you aren't familiar with the bhopal disaster, you listen to wtyp because you are familiar with it

yes

i keep hoping they'll do therac-25

this is not because i need them to explain therac-25 to me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

my final hot take:

i am familiar with the disaster, and i hoped to learn more about it, and then the first half hour was talking about trump telling people to inject bleach, then some chinese labor songs, and then three people repeatedly informing us that indian people aren't dirty and primitive so just check yourself buddy.

if that's your thing by all means go for it. i like a little more focus. like the ones he does by himself

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
99 percent invisible is the best podcast

i will not be taking any questions at this time

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

haven’t listened to a podcast in 5 months

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Fool posted:

same. Used to listen to them like 4 hours a day while working and now I just want quiet/don't care/don't need to tune annoying coworkers out

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

qirex posted:

I unironically have a "good radio voice" so maybe I should just steal and re-record other people's podcasts to make them more pleasant to listen to

qirex.at.a.rap.concert.wav

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

actually I lied, my son likes story pirates, so we listen to that together sometimes

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

What’s a radio?

it means "radical input/output", op, and was an early form of usb. an elegant communication interface of the extreme 90s, a more civilized age

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

same. Used to listen to them like 4 hours a day while working and now I just want quiet/don't care/don't need to tune annoying coworkers out

i listen to about an hour a day while i’m getting my three miles of walking in.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Laopooh posted:

qirex.at.a.rap.concert.wav

there’s no rap concerts anymore :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Fool posted:

i was never able to get into them

my mind starts to wander and i stop paying attention super fast. visual media is fine, books are fine, audiobooks are not.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So does anyone thing the Tesla Semi could be the thing that tanks the stock a bit.

Something like Elon deciding to make them 16' tall and unable to pass under freeways, or just throwing the patented Tesla QA at enterprise companies that tell them to gently caress off?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Elon's getting a semi???

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

no. tesla stans will mortgage their spouse and kids to buy one as long as they can play american truck simulator on the ipad

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yo the best podcast is 13 minutes to the moon

It's really, really good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if you bought tesla stock back in 1985, you’d be a millionaire by now

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Elon's getting a semi???

look it's the best he can muster given his drug use and it was enough to knock up grimes

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Munkeymon posted:

look it's the best he can muster given his drug use and it was enough to knock up grimes

Nah, that was all science.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

most independent podcasts are barely better than a poorly xeroxed newsletter

some of the best writing i've ever read has been in poorly-xeroxed fanzines

also some of the very loving worst, but - just like podcasts - it's easy to pick the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't. personally i like wtyp but i *definitely* don't listen to it to actually learn about engineering, any more than i used to read (west ham fanzine) over land and sea to learn about the intricacies of the use of overlapping fullbacks in a 4-4-2 system. my favourite football podcast, top flight time machine, mentions football so infrequently it's actually a surprise when it comes up.

i mean gently caress it, how many posts in this thread (or any thread on these forums) are actually on-topic? 50%, maybe? and often the best stuff is the stuff only vaguely related to the topic (combat theory's frequent deep dives into the way actual competent car makers do stuff, for example). it's certainly not something i'd use as a resource if i were interested in buying an electric car, it's entertainment loosely themed around an idiot billionaire and his wacky hijinks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fart simpson posted:

if you bought tesla stock back in 1985, you’d be a millionaire by now

or last year even. remember the hilarity when it was sub $220?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

infernal machines posted:

better that than the child sub

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

Bulgakov posted:

better that than the child sub

gently caress lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

some of the best writing i've ever read has been in poorly-xeroxed fanzines

also some of the very loving worst, but - just like podcasts - it's easy to pick the ones you like and ignore the ones you don't. personally i like wtyp but i *definitely* don't listen to it to actually learn about engineering, any more than i used to read (west ham fanzine) over land and sea to learn about the intricacies of the use of overlapping fullbacks in a 4-4-2 system. my favourite football podcast, top flight time machine, mentions football so infrequently it's actually a surprise when it comes up.

i mean gently caress it, how many posts in this thread (or any thread on these forums) are actually on-topic? 50%, maybe? and often the best stuff is the stuff only vaguely related to the topic (combat theory's frequent deep dives into the way actual competent car makers do stuff, for example). it's certainly not something i'd use as a resource if i were interested in buying an electric car, it's entertainment loosely themed around an idiot billionaire and his wacky hijinks.

what even is the difference between a hybrid corolla and a prius? they're the same car as far as i can tell

Weedle
May 31, 2006

with the corolla you don't have to have the "corolla conversation" if you happen to park near someone else with a corolla

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Weedle posted:

with the corolla you don't have to have the "corolla conversation" if you happen to park near someone else with a corolla

if my consumption choices are not my identity what is

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The lawyer who botched Unsworth's defamation case against Musk is now threatening defamation lawsuits against people calling his client, the almost guaranteed to win Q-Anon believing confessional candidate in NW Georgia, a racist, anti-Semitic conspiracy nut.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

good point

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Munkeymon posted:

[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PCjr sidecar posted:

if my consumption choices are not my identity what is
Lol what are you Canadian?

I decided that if I win a windfall I would start up a grifting tech-forward car/smart-toilet company called eLon