Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

slidebite posted:

Interior is awful, but it's basically the price of a roller, forgetting it's a cab. An early 99 is a huge bonus.

Check it out, if it drives fine gently caress it.If it dies part it out.

Going to get it inspected today. Any guesses on what they find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

willroc7 posted:

squirrel nest

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

It's in Butler? A Trump bumper sticker and/or a klan rally flyer.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

It's in Butler? A Trump bumper sticker and/or a klan rally flyer.

Anything but this. God damnit.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well, no squirrels but more cosmetic issues than anticipated. Looks relatively decent mechanically, though. Probably going to pass with a repaint though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So it's a pit of deferred maintenance that was ridden hard and put away wet.

Remember the saying....there's noting more expensive than a cheap Porsche. You're right to walk away.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Run to the hills! Run for your liiiiivvvvveesssss!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are checkmarks good or bad?

Residency Evil posted:

Not dumb. I've had a 981 Cayman S as well as a 987 Spyder. The engine/transmission in them is known to be pretty bulletproof. Anything you want to know?
These don't have a timing belt or require any regular engine-out maintenance, right?

Probably not going to go for it this year (or ever) but I've been looking at 987s too for a while. They look pretty reasonable in terms of purchase and upkeep and have good reliability reputation outside of IMS.

Anyway I was looking through some ads as one does and collected a few tips for sellers:

Do throw out the garbage
Do vacuum the carpets
Don't use a potato to take the photo

OTOH:
Don't have an automatic Cayman

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

mobby_6kl posted:

OTOH:
Don't have an automatic Cayman

At least it's a non-S

e: honestly the Tip is fine if you're just looking to have a bit of casual fun :dadjoke:

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 4, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Dealer e-mailed that I can have a Cayman GTS 4.0 for December delivery.

Still not convinced I want a new car, and if I'm going to do it, I want to get it in Europe in the spring.

Going to drive an 80s 911 next week. Hopefully I fall in love and forget about new cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

Going to drive an 80s 911 next week. Hopefully I fall in love and forget about new cars.
What is the oldest car you've owned?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

What is the oldest car you've owned?

Personally? A 1996 Jetta 2 liter. And I learned on a 92 Mazda protege.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Personally? A 1996 Jetta 2 liter. And I learned on a 92 Mazda protege.

Yeah......you're gonna be in for an either good or bad realization once you have to actually live with a 80s car.

Some people just aren't gonna want to deal with that. And then you have me, who spent 2010-2015-ish daily driving an 85.5 944 I restored back into 100% daily driver up to date maintenance and reliability.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Yeah......you're gonna be in for an either good or bad realization once you have to actually live with a 80s car.

Some people just aren't gonna want to deal with that. And then you have me, who spent 2010-2015-ish daily driving an 85.5 944 I restored back into 100% daily driver up to date maintenance and reliability.

You mean because I'm going to be blown away by the reliability, right? :ohdear:

I'm still waiting for those COVID deals on weekend aircooled cars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I was the one saying "not yet" earlier in the thread. Now I'm almost leaning towards "there won't be" because of how irrational the market has been.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Motronic posted:

I was the one saying "not yet" earlier in the thread. Now I'm almost leaning towards "there won't be" because of how irrational the market has been.

Makes sense, the job market for people who can afford vintage 911's aren't being hit as hard as the people who can't (tech/work from home etc.). Go figure.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I've been pretty disappointed with the deals/pricing. Maybe prices will go down in the fall per the usual cycle.

Or as our dumb government doesn't extend unemployment protection.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

I don't think that is the highest item on the list when it comes to culture shock of an 80's 911 coming from cars built within the last ten years or so.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

First thing you will ask is why are the brakes made of wood?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

Then I'll pick up the "not yet" flag. We're still in the beginnings of this, and the market WILL catch up to reality. It's gonna get ugly.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

BigPaddy posted:

First thing you will ask is why are the brakes made of wood?

If it's an original 915 car he'll wonder why he can't find any gears. Here's hoping the guy took care of the bushings.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Partly it's because supercars of the 80's are doored by mid-tier Camrys now, partly it's that car tech and safety and chassis design is a million miles ahead now. I love my old stupid classic cars, but even compared to my relatively ancient 2008 M3 the creature comforts are night and day. "The doors don't let water in??? What is this black magic"

Motronic posted:

It's this one, people who own stock don't have to rely on day-to-day employment to remain 'doing okay' and/or can work from home and have been doing so for 5 years now since they're in tech etc., so the stock market and the weekend toys market are going to mostly glide through this IMHO. Rich guys already took all the assets that traditionally fell into this sort of category, in 2007.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

Partly it's because supercars of the 80's are doored by mid-tier Camrys now, partly it's that car tech and safety and chassis design is a million miles ahead now. I love my old stupid classic cars, but even compared to my relatively ancient 2008 M3 the creature comforts are night and day. "The doors don't let water in??? What is this black magic"

It's this one, people who own stock don't have to rely on day-to-day employment to remain 'doing okay' and/or can work from home and have been doing so for 5 years now since they're in tech etc., so the stock market and the weekend toys market are going to mostly glide through this IMHO. Rich guys already took all the assets that traditionally fell into this sort of category, in 2007.

Just to be clear, if I get an 80s 911, it’ll be a car for the weekend and maybe an occasional Friday drive to work. I’m not expecting to sit in rush hour traffic for an hour in it every day.

If I get a GTS 4.0, then yeah, I could probably use it more often, including autocross.

Hrm.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
As a wise man in a fast car said to the state trooper, "It does sound really ridiculous when you say it like that".

I love '80s Porsches and will want one in my stable eventually, I just don't anticipate it being as fun to drive as it would have been 25 years ago so it'd be down the list for me a bit despite loving the hell out of the aircooled style.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

As a wise man in a fast car said to the state trooper, "It does sound really ridiculous when you say it like that".

I love '80s Porsches and will want one in my stable eventually, I just don't anticipate it being as fun to drive as it would have been 25 years ago so it'd be down the list for me a bit despite loving the hell out of the aircooled style.

I think what I go back and forth on is the ridiculous limits that modern cars have. I drove a GT3 on a track at my bachelor party a few years back. Incredible, but I immediately realized it would be no more fun than my old cayman in the street. As much as I want a GT3/4, the suspension is going to be awful driving over regular roads. The power is going to be way too high to get used around the back roads. There’s a part of me that wants to experience a “slow car fast” 911 before they get insanely old.

But then I look at the GTS 4.0, think about doing a European delivery trip, and wonder if that might not be a perfect medium.

Really, I should just get a Miata.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 13, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

I didn't want to say it.

GTS 4.0 + Miata would hit both ends of that itch. E92 M3 & NA for me and I get all the fun of both ends of the motoring spectrum, almost-too-fast-for-the-roads-speed-and-performance, AND jesus-this-car-is-small-and-rickety-but-wheeee

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Residency Evil posted:

I think what I go back and forth on is the ridiculous limits that modern cars have. I drove a GT3 on a track at my bachelor party a few years back. Incredible, but I immediately realized it would be no more fun than my old cayman in the street. As much as I want a GT3/4, the suspension is going to be awful driving over regular roads. The power is going to be way too high to get used around the back roads. There’s a part of me that wants to experience a “slow car fast” 911 before they get insanely old.

But then I look at the GTS 4.0, think about doing a European delivery trip, and wonder if that might not be a perfect medium.

I know for a fact my '82 911 can't keep up with my Giulia Ti on public roads or the track, but I'll prefer the 911 over the Giulia on a weekend drive ten times out of ten*.

It's the raw connection to the car, the living feeling of the manual steering and rowing the flat six through the gears. With the open exhaust on that car there is very little that compares.

*Well nine times out of ten. The A/C has failed in the 911 and it's August in Alabama.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 13, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-porsche-911-carrera-targa-26/

Man how much is this gonna go for.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

$80k

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

That is sexy

Probably

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
price is right $100k

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That is a hot '88. Wow. Incredibly good color too. Disregard everything I said previously!!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

That is a hot '88. Wow. Incredibly good color too. Disregard everything I said previously!!

"I don't like the poo brown."
-My wife

Divorce?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Residency Evil posted:

-My wife

Divorce?

It’s pretty 80s that’s for sure!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

-My wife

Divorce?

If she is smart she will.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

Harsh, but fair.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
First six weeks of 987.1 ownership down, absolutely no regrets. Every time I drive it, I get out with a poo poo-eating grin, and I still absolutely love walking up to it when it's parked. The color is just perfect for this shape.

'08, non-S, manual, decoded the options list:
- Meteor Grey Metallic
- Black Leather
-18" Boxster S Wheels.
- Bose Audio.
- ParkAssistant.
- Air Deflector Kit.
- Porsche Crest on headrests.
- Built at Valmet in Finland.

So far, I've done the following:
- Replaced the roof latch and bent left push rod (genuine Porsche part) and realigned the roof frame.
- Stitched in new elastics so the roof fabric unfolds into the frame properly.
- Fabricated a custom mobile phone cradle with wireless charger that replaced the driver's side cupholder.
- Bluetooth audio interface in place of the CD changer.
- Glued the many, many pieces of both of the mesh rollbar inserts back together and repainted them so they have a bit of UV resistance again.
- New front tyres, to match the rears the dealer replaced. The fronts were a full 10 years old and starting to crack with age.
- LED lights in the interior, trunk and frunk.
- Rebuilt the brakes with new rotors, pads, and wear sensors. The dealer quoted the PO $4k to do this, and I managed it with about $400 in parts.

Fully expected the brake job to be a nightmare, but I did all four corners in about 3 hours.

So far it's been an absolute pleasure to work on, and the parts prices have been very reasonable.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Welcome to the order of Uusikaupunki :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

got off on a technicality posted:

Welcome to the order of Uusikaupunki :)

I’m a previous member. My ‘89 Saab 900i was built there too!