Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Larryb posted:

Ah yeah, I had heard about that. So what's the context of that scene, is Ash having some sort of fever dream or does Pikachu just randomly start talking for no real explained reason?

Its a near death fever dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I don't have much of an opinion on SwSh's plot but I do really like the dynamic of the region's champion being your rival's older brother, and being more involved in the game than most other champions. I also really like Bede's character arc, which was probably the most I was "invested" in an NPC's story in the whole franchise. I feel like SwSh was a step down gameplay-wise (not enough areas to explore and backtrack through like in earlier gens was my major hang-up), but the cast of rival NPCs felt like a big step up and I hope to see more characters like Bede, Hop, and Leon in future titles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zuzie posted:

I think the main issue behind Pokemon plots are the "restrictions" placed on the lore itself. In general, Pokémon themselves aren't the main antagonists (at least within the main series, Mystery Dungeon is set within a different universe where humans aren't present). Thus its almost always the main antagonist are people who use Pokémon to further their goals.

most of the mystery dungeon antagonists arent pokemon either lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The White Dragon posted:

most of the mystery dungeon antagonists arent pokemon either lol

It's the evil in everyone's hearts. Every time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Saoshyant posted:

It's the evil in everyone's hearts. Every time.

i mean, yknow Primal Dialga is still a kind of pokemon. but Dark Matter not so much

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You know, 2020 is basically a Mystery Dungeon villain. A big ball of hatred and stupidity that reached a boiling point and unleashed all that's transpired and will continue to transpire.

Until we all conquer the evils in our hearts.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish they'd make a Pokemon game that rips off ideas from the nemesis system in the LOTR Shadow games for a few extra rivals.

Vinylshadow posted:

DLC, but it's the characters, music, and "story" from the Pokemon Masters mobile game

I'd be down for this.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I wish they'd make a Pokemon game where they let me put little costumes on my pokemon

like Let's Go but with every single pokemon

they could take out the battle system and the whole story for all I care if I could just do that

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Bleck posted:

I wish they'd make a Pokemon game where they let me put little costumes on my pokemon

like Let's Go but with every single pokemon

they could take out the battle system and the whole story for all I care if I could just do that

Mewtwo in Sephiroth cosplay.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Saoshyant posted:

You know, 2020 is basically a Mystery Dungeon villain. A big ball of hatred and stupidity that reached a boiling point and unleashed all that's transpired and will continue to transpire.

Until we all conquer the evils in our hearts.

Eh, if we conquer our kokoro no yami, it'll just come back next season with a big ol' goat skull. And then next season in a robot army. And the season after that as a beautiful man with blond and red hair. And even after beating it all those times it'll just be a huge fuckin' dragon. And then the concept of loneliness.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

MorningMoon posted:

Eh, if we conquer our kokoro no yami, it'll just come back next season with a big ol' goat skull. And then next season in a robot army. And the season after that as a beautiful man with blond and red hair. And even after beating it all those times it'll just be a huge fuckin' dragon. And then the concept of loneliness.

Then it’ll give up and just be a dark cloud which about a third the populace will claim is a hoax to distract from the “real” truth.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Geostomp posted:

Then it’ll give up and just be a dark cloud which about a third the populace will claim is a hoax to distract from the “real” truth.

A pokemon game in the style of Dark Cloud would be pretty cool though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
give me the pokemon game where you play as your trainer's starter pokemon and you do various requests/minigames/etc. if you do well all the time, your trainer eventually becomes champion or whatever.

if you don't do well on purpose, all the time, your trainer grows up to be the man in alola who used to be an Eevee Trainer Kid but now he's just a fat gross old loser with an eevee

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lacrosse posted:

A pokemon game in the style of Dark Cloud would be pretty cool though.

Anyone remembering those games exist make my crappy comment worth it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Anyone remembering those games exist make my crappy comment worth it.

I'll do you one better: Pokemon game in the style of Dragon Quest VIII.

Ya know what? gently caress it, see if they can get the voice casts too. At least Galar would sound right.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I wish the mobile app's wonder trade capabilities in Home was a function in the Switch version. I wish everything you could do on the mobile app you could do on the Switch version.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

The White Dragon posted:

give me the pokemon game where you play as your trainer's starter pokemon and you do various requests/minigames/etc. if you do well all the time, your trainer eventually becomes champion or whatever.

if you don't do well on purpose, all the time, your trainer grows up to be the man in alola who used to be an Eevee Trainer Kid but now he's just a fat gross old loser with an eevee

God that whole quest was depressing. How the hell that made it into a Pokemon game is beyond me. Senile old people who can't remember their loved ones, old friends dying without the others knowing, having your dreams crushed by wage-slavery. Someone on the Dev Team was going through some poo poo.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

God that whole quest was depressing. How the hell that made it into a Pokemon game is beyond me. Senile old people who can't remember their loved ones, old friends dying without the others knowing, having your dreams crushed by wage-slavery. Someone on the Dev Team was going through some poo poo.

This stuff was in ORAS too. Pokemon doesn't exactly shy away from this poo poo.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Playing through Crystal for the first time, and I gotta say it is shocking how bad of a move sets a lot of these low level mons have. This honestly makes the game leaps and bounds harder than it needs to be. But overall, it feels great playing through this. Also I love how your rival is just straight up a dick to you, a refreshing experience.

Oh and one last thing, gently caress Miltank and gently caress that gym leader for having one. That was a firm slap in the face that I cannot just faceroll everything, needed to level up to 18/19 to beat that monster.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Flopsy posted:

I'll do you one better: Pokemon game in the style of Dragon Quest VIII.

Ya know what? gently caress it, see if they can get the voice casts too. At least Galar would sound right.

Get akira toryama to do the art for people too, or gently caress it just have dragonball characters become pokemon trainers.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

Playing through Crystal for the first time, and I gotta say it is shocking how bad of a move sets a lot of these low level mons have. This honestly makes the game leaps and bounds harder than it needs to be. But overall, it feels great playing through this. Also I love how your rival is just straight up a dick to you, a refreshing experience.

Oh and one last thing, gently caress Miltank and gently caress that gym leader for having one. That was a firm slap in the face that I cannot just faceroll everything, needed to level up to 18/19 to beat that monster.

The worst part about Whitney is there aren't really any decent fighting-types before then (other than Heracross if you know where to look). At least in R/B you could get a Nidoran or Mankey before Brock if you picked Charmander.

e: AND you probably used a flying or fire type against the bug gym and rollout is rock so gently caress you

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

The virgin dragon type gym leader vs the chad normal type gym leader.

Miltank and Slaking go brrrr

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cliff posted:

The worst part about Whitney is there aren't really any decent fighting-types before then (other than Heracross if you know where to look). At least in R/B you could get a Nidoran or Mankey before Brock if you picked Charmander.

e: AND you probably used a flying or fire type against the bug gym and rollout is rock so gently caress you

Basically I spam lower accuracy on it and managed to get a lucky burn on it. It was easy from that point forward for obvious reasons but yeah I can't imagine how painful it must have been for kids when this game first came out to try to beat her.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I believe they put the in-game trade for a Machop right before Whitney for that reason.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Geodude also shuts down most of what she can do

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I read a strategy guide that suggested getting Geodude for Falkner and Machop for Whitney a year or two before I actually got to play through Crystal, so I never had trouble with Whitney. Clair, though... Her Pokemon are high 30s while the highest level wild Pokemon are mid 20s, and the only variable damage Dragon-type move you can realistically get without trading at this point in the game is Twister. So good luck with her level 40 Kingdra.

I'm playing through Red at the moment, and the movepools are even worse. The only Fighting type move Mankey/Primeape learns by level up is Seismic Toss, and the only STAB move it can learn at all is Submission. Growlithe learns Ember at level 18 but then takes until level 50 to learn Flamethrower, without learning any other Fire moves in between. Growlithe's Gen II movepool isn't much better, but it at least learns Flame Wheel at level 34, so it's not stuck with Ember going into the Elite Four if you don't give it Fire Blast.

And unrelated to movepools, I just got through Victory Road and the tiny item limit is killing me.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rule for playing Gen II: ABUFG, Always Be Using Female Geodude

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cliff posted:

That was Yellow. Mankey also got Low Kick in that game, and Nidoran got Double Kick at a reasonable (i.e. not level 43) level. Brock's weakness was low Special overriding type advantage.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Flopsy posted:

This stuff was in ORAS too. Pokemon doesn't exactly shy away from this poo poo.

Remember how DELTA EPISODE starts with your dad visiting for the first time in ages, spending the whole night just binging a show while your mom's doing dishes, and then dropping the news that he won't be able to see the meteor shower with her, so he'll just give the tickets to you. Very healthy marriage.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

TheKingofSprings posted:

You'd think, but I played Crystal on the 3DS and tried that and nooooooo. Geodude can't do much damage to that thing, and by the time it gets rolling (heh), it can easily get into one or two-shot territory within a few turns. Less than that if it gets a lucky crit.

I was only able to beat her because eventually the stupid loving cow missed a Rollout, finally and I was able to whittle it down.

gently caress that cow.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gen I's terrible lvl up moveset is somewhat balanced by them letting tons of mons use tons of Tm"s they can't later in the series.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

Remember how DELTA EPISODE starts with your dad visiting for the first time in ages, spending the whole night just binging a show while your mom's doing dishes, and then dropping the news that he won't be able to see the meteor shower with her, so he'll just give the tickets to you. Very healthy marriage.

Oh sweet jesus LMAO!! For me the big take away from ORAS is your parents marriage is completely on the rocks and the two team leaders in that game grow into better father figures for you than your own bio dad. Seriously Norman is a loving deadbeat and the game isn't subtle about your mother's slowly simmering resentment toward him. Personal head canon of mine is the main character gives no fucks when she divorces him because he was never there to begin with.....Come to think of it a recurring theme in ORAS is deadbeat fathers...huh.

So yeah to summarize you trade one sucky dad for two gay dads. A win win in my book.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 15, 2020

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Flopsy posted:

Oh sweet jesus LMAO!! For me the big take away from ORAS is your parents marriage is completely on the rocks and the two team leaders in that game grow into better father figures for you than your own bio dad. Seriously Norman is a loving deadbeat and the game isn't subtle about your mother's slowly simmering resentment toward him. Personal head canon of mine is the main character gives no fucks when she divorces him because he was never there to begin with.....Come to think of it a recurring theme in ORAS is deadbeat fathers...huh.

So yeah to summarize you trade one sucky dad for two gay dads. A win win in my book.

What is it with Pokemon protagonists and absent fathers? Hoenn's the only place where you even get a partially present one and he'll be fully absent in a year when the divorce goes through. I guess NPC Brendan/May and NPC Lucas/Dawn at least have normal relationships with their dads, so the player can watch an alternate version of themselves get the love they crave but can never have right in front of their eyes. So close but forever out of reach.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

galagazombie posted:

What is it with Pokemon protagonists and absent fathers? Hoenn's the only place where you even get a partially present one and he'll be fully absent in a year when the divorce goes through. I guess NPC Brendan/May and NPC Lucas/Dawn at least have normal relationships with their dads, so the player can watch an alternate version of themselves get the love they crave but can never have right in front of their eyes. So close but forever out of reach.

Like I said I'd feel worse about this if in fact during the course of the game Archie/Maxie didn't more or less adopt you. Christ sakes even during the build up to your battle with Groudon/Kyogre they're the ones cheering you on and encouraging you when you go down to face em' and during the post game you can hang out with them or team up with them at the battle resort. I could see them bringing over a casserole or something for the holidays and setting up a college fund in apology for all the trouble they caused. That being said nothing is as awful as the Pokemon adventures interpretation of Norman who's straight up physically abusive as a way of "toughening" up his kid.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

galagazombie posted:

What is it with Pokemon protagonists and absent fathers?

It's a recurrent thing across Japanese media as a whole. Work culture over there places an immense priority on loyalty to the workplace/employer, which tends to manifest as long hours and constant overtime. So you end up with a lot of creators having grown up with absentee fathers, and an audience that easily connects with protagonists having the same experience.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cliff posted:

In the original R/B you COULDN’T get a Mankey. It really made charmander the hardest start by far which is hilarious because every child of course is gonna pick fire dragon

If I remember correctly the original Yellow added mankey there because pikachu is useless against Brock

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In the original R/B you COULDN’T get a Mankey. It really made charmander the hardest start by far which is hilarious because every child of course is gonna pick fire dragon

If I remember correctly the original Yellow added mankey there because pikachu is useless against Brock

I picked Bubbasaur as a kid and I still stand by my leafy boi :<

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You can't get Mankey but you can get Nidoran, which learns Double Kick.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

A Mankey wouldn't really help at that point in Red or Blue anyway, because all it'd know would be Scratch and Leer. Low Kick wasn't added to its movepool until Yellow, and Karate Chop, which it does learn, wasn't made Fighting type until Gold and Silver. Charmader isn't as bad against Brock as it seems, though, because Brock's Onix has terrible Special and no Rock or Ground moves. It's just less of a joke than it is against Bulbasaur and Squirtle.

Hey, did you know that if you didn't pick Bulbasaur in Red, you have no access to Vine Whip or Razor Leaf, because only the Bulbasaur and Bellsprout lines learn them in Red and Blue,and Bellsprout is Blue exclusive? You're stuck with Absorb for Grass coverage until you beat Erika and get a TM for Mega Drain, which is TM-only in this game.

Gen IV-style movepools were such a vast improvement to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Razor leaf was also weirdly broken wasn’t it? I think it was 100% crit

Framboise posted:

I picked Bubbasaur as a kid and I still stand by my leafy boi :<

I did too and my team online revolved around Venusaur+Snorlax for the longest time because Bulbasaur was my first ever Pokémon (and snorlax my best in RB)