Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The Df is the best choice. OP should save up for it if finances don’t allow for it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Helen Highwater posted:

Comedy answer: buy one of those Yashica Y35 cameras that were Kickstarted a couple of years ago.

Came here to post this.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

The Voice of Labor posted:

if I'd asked the equivalent question in tff I'd already have a list of 5 options and a coupon code

lol

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

this is almost as good as the reddit guy obsessed with large format

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I actually think there IS enough of a market, despite being niche, for an affordable "digital film" camera or whatever. The Yashica Electro 35, while tremendously lovely, did manage to raise a fuckton of money for this very product. I think if a company that actually new what they were doing attempted this, they could make an actual for-realsies camera that satisfies this niche at a sub 1k price point.

None of the major camera companies seems to want to take that risk though, so :rip:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well obviously none of the big camera names are going to make such a camera, they know it will sell single digits. It makes absolutely no sense for them to bother.

And no kickstarter dork is going to pull it off because it's loving expensive, sourcing just the sensor is going to be a massive cost. Then you have to design the body and write all the code to do something with the sensor. There's a reason digital backs are so expensive and it's not just because they're aimed directly at the hearts of camera hipsters.

Which leaves you the boutique names like Leica and Hasselblad selling their stuff for ten thousand loving dollars.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

xzzy posted:

Well obviously none of the big camera names are going to make such a camera, they know it will sell single digits. It makes absolutely no sense for them to bother.

I just pulled the trigger on one of the only two Sony A68 left in the UK, it’s been discontinued because there is literally a market of several for a dslr sized lightweight Sony with a top panel, where the back screen, video and WiFi aren’t needed.

I wonder if he knows how cobbled together from older high end cameras the bottom of the line cameras are? Like no worries if you didn’t want any development costs being expended on that D3300 goonfriend.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

hope and vaseline posted:

lol yeah

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I’ve done exactly this myself with a D800 and D850 I can tell you that modern DSLRs don’t have enough adjustment to get those screens aligned properly without some intense shimming (that I never could get right.) It’s possible that with the lower resolution of the DF it wouldn’t be as critical, and clearly the guy in the link likes it, but they were far enough out that it actually made it harder to get critical focus. My experience with them isn’t uncommon either — I think sometimes people get lucky with the adjustment or aren’t bothered by it being off.

I wish the DF was a good DSLR for manual focus as I’d love that, but it doesn’t actually deliver on anything other than the non-ai compatibility.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

that dumb thing was the 2nd or 3rd dumb thing mentioned and it seems like a really good idea to me. it surprises me that there aren't a lot more things like this that don't cost thousands of dollars.

there have been a number of these teased over the years, the thing is that the sensor is basically the most expensive part of the body so it's a significant chunk of the cost of a new camera / probably the same cost as a decent used body, only is way more clunky (the back needs to somehow figure out that you've tripped the shutter release and have some vague idea what the shutter setting is going to be). So inevitably these get to the concept stage and make some waves and then they start to look at the economics and ergonomics and realize there's no market for it.

This one looks mildly interesting in that it appears to basically be taking the 35mm body and projecting the image onto a focusing screen, and then taking a picture of the focusing screen with a point-and-shoot sensor. That will put it very solidly into the "toy camera" image quality but there's a market for that if the price is right, and the point-and-shoot sensor should keep the costs down somewhat - they're claiming they're aiming for a MSRP in the $400 range. On the other hand the ergonomics are going to be even worse, have fun jamming that thing up in your face.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

thinking your camera is what's stopping you from taking good pictures is usually not the right road to go down anyways

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

xzzy posted:

And no kickstarter dork is going to pull it off because it's loving expensive, sourcing just the sensor is going to be a massive cost. Then you have to design the body and write all the code to do something with the sensor. There's a reason digital backs are so expensive and it's not just because they're aimed directly at the hearts of camera hipsters.

Which leaves you the boutique names like Leica and Hasselblad selling their stuff for ten thousand loving dollars.

You seem to be saying "makes absolutely no sense", "loving expensive", impractical, impossible to source, no market whatsoever etc. etc., but all I'm hearing is "goon project".

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ansel autisms posted:

thinking your camera is what's stopping you from taking good pictures is usually not the right road to go down anyways

If only my camera didn't have all this VIDEO and AUTOFOCUS taking up clock cycles

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
A true photographer holds the camera at chest level and focuses solely by looking at the distance scale numbers on the lens. The framing/composition is intuited simply from viewing the scene and knowing the focal length of the lens.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Splinter posted:

A true photographer holds the camera at chest level and focuses solely by looking at the distance scale numbers on the lens. The framing/composition is intuited simply from viewing the scene and knowing the focal length of the lens.

Ah, the Brooklyn Beckham school?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Save time and money by hanging stock photos of models vaguely resembling your family around your home. Complete with watermarks you didn't pay to remove.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

You seem to be saying "makes absolutely no sense", "loving expensive", impractical, impossible to source, no market whatsoever etc. etc., but all I'm hearing is "goon project".

imagine four dslrs on the edge of a cliff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

lmao I forgot this goofy loving thing exists, I kind of love it despite it being huge and weird

speaking of chill photography youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IPAeJaNJKw

The only time I've ever seen one in person it was a guy in his 50s standing around at the beach offering to take pictures of every teenage/20-something girl that walked by.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
On the other hand, this has been a spectacularly well executed derail, so kudos op.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

How is that guy doing? I got a lot of lols out of his posts (assuming we are talking about the same guy).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

theHUNGERian posted:

How is that guy doing? I got a lot of lols out of his posts (assuming we are talking about the same guy).

I hope he dropped ten grand to pick up one of those Chamonix 20x24 cameras. After all, if it's not the largest format possible, you may as well not even bother shooting!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

theHUNGERian posted:

Checking his Reddit history... right now he's convinced he has the technical skills to lead a one-man revolution in phone camera design.

He has decided that if he can find employment, he will save up for an EOS R5 and a Panasonic S1R. Dreams of large format still consume him, but he has yet to shoot a single frame of film in any size. His 3200 soldiers on.

Also he asked a woman if she would make a custom poop video for him.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
lol at thinking anything I'm asking about is absurd when a single corporation holds a virtual monopoly on the manufacture of a core component of all the cameras.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Sony seems to make most of the imaging silicon in popular use, including the sensors in Nikon's top models with Nikon also designing those sensors.You won't be able to find a batch of viable 35mm size sensors in a Shenzhen back alley

this explains and takes the fun out of everything. can you think of any other consumer product this true of?

Paul MaudDib posted:

(the back needs to somehow figure out that you've tripped the shutter release and have some vague idea what the shutter setting is going to be).

you could brute force it, have it always sampling and register the start of an image when the array starts registering something other than 0

all speculation is futile though.

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 14, 2020

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

this explains and takes the fun out of everything. can you think of any other consumer product this true of?

Nearly every device you own that has internet capabilities relies on Qualcomm or Broadcom for networking chips.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

lol at thinking anything I'm asking about is absurd when a single corporation holds a virtual monopoly on the manufacture of a core component of all the cameras.
Note that it's not so much that Sony make all of the imaging sensors in the world, it's more that Sony make most of the high performance consumer photography sensors that are available to other OEMs. Canon make their own but don't make them available as discrete components for sale commercially. Leica sensors are made by a STMicroelectronics in France, to a design by a Swiss company specifically for Leica, so they aren't available to non-Leica customers. Prettty much every other camera manufacturer just buys them from Sony, or designs them in-house but has Sony fab them - Pentax, Hasselblad, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus all come with Sony sensors inside.

A lot of companies make imaging sensors but the consumer photography market is a very small slice of the overall sector. Most of them end up in medical imaging equipment, or in very high volume applications like mobile phones, CCTV, vehicle cameras, etc.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Samsung still fab phone camera sensors. I think they stopped making larger sensors when they gave up on cameras but they could presumably get back in the game if there was enough buyers asking.

I think Panasonic use Towerjazz to fab their sensors.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Yond Cassius posted:

Checking his Reddit history... right now he's convinced he has the technical skills to lead a one-man revolution in phone camera design.

He has decided that if he can find employment, he will save up for an EOS R5 and a Panasonic S1R. Dreams of large format still consume him, but he has yet to shoot a single frame of film in any size. His 3200 soldiers on.

I'm new to this world and am unaware of this guy but this sounds loving hilarious...can you provide some means of tracking down a link to his reddit profile?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
This is his post where he's agonising over whether to upgrade his D3200 to an R5, an S1r or an 8x10 view camera.

He sprang to fame in the best photographers thread a few years ago when he posted a GoFundMe to rent $100k worth of ridiculously over the top gear for his family vacation to a national park. The first post is here and he appears a few more times in the following few pages.

Also he went to a fundy university and posts on scat fetish subreddits with his main account. He's also a hardcore Austrian economics weeb.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Aug 14, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

Note that it's not so much that Sony make all of the imaging sensors in the world, it's more that Sony make most of the high performance consumer photography sensors that are available to other OEMs. Canon make their own but don't make them available as discrete components for sale commercially. Leica sensors are made by a STMicroelectronics in France, to a design by a Swiss company specifically for Leica, so they aren't available to non-Leica customers. Prettty much every other camera manufacturer just buys them from Sony, or designs them in-house but has Sony fab them - Pentax, Hasselblad, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus all come with Sony sensors inside.

A lot of companies make imaging sensors but the consumer photography market is a very small slice of the overall sector. Most of them end up in medical imaging equipment, or in very high volume applications like mobile phones, CCTV, vehicle cameras, etc.

For CCTV, you used to see a lot of off-brand cameras advertised as Sony because Sony made the sensor. Then companies would put cheap junk behind them and they'd look like poo poo. If you looked at Sony's actual CCTV cameras from the period, they had the same sensors but looked much better.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yond Cassius posted:

Cocaine or mental illness? Both?!

e:

Helen Highwater posted:

Also he went to a fundy university and posts on scat fetish subreddits with his main account. He's also a hardcore Austrian economics weeb.

Okay, definitely at least the latter

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yond Cassius posted:

He's great at setting reasonable goals.

"The ISO can go up to at least 1 million yet look clean. It'll be useful for video recording on starry nights."

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

you could brute force it, have it always sampling and register the start of an image when the array starts registering something other than 0

all speculation is futile though.

If you want to play with the technical side of cameras there is a lot of fun hobby stuff you can do on the relatively cheap side, just sensor design and manufacture probably isn't it. Building a pinhole camera is the classic first project - it's a box with a very small hole in it and somewhere to put a sensor/film. If you want to try photography outside the visible spectrum you can get very cheap IR sensitive C-mount cameras (UV sensors aren't too expensive either, but UV transparent glass is) and mess around with that. Or if you're sick of only having three colour channels to work with, consider also picking up a diffraction grating and precision cut slit for like $150 and you can build a pretty capable hyperspectral line-scan camera so you can image 200 wavebands at 3nm spectral resolution. Show your Flickr enemies what real colour reproduction is, Leica doesn't have poo poo on that.

If all that sounds too hacky and you just want to spend huge sums of money on bizarre but ready-made equipment for your obscure nerd obssession, astrophotography is there waiting.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 14, 2020

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

This is his post where he's agonising over whether to upgrade his D3200 to an R5, an S1r or an 8x10 view camera.

He sprang to fame in the best photographers thread a few years ago when he posted a GoFundMe to rent $100k worth of ridiculously over the top gear for his family vacation to a national park. The first post is here and he appears a few more times in the following few pages.

This is goddamn gold and I am in your debt

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

I do feel bad for him and I hope he gets better, but until then :discourse:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

big scary monsters posted:

If you want to play with the technical side of cameras there is a lot of fun hobby stuff you can do on the relatively cheap side, just sensor design and manufacture probably isn't it. Building a pinhole camera is the classic first project - it's a box with a very small hole in it and somewhere to put a sensor/film. If you want to try photography outside the visible spectrum you can get very cheap IR sensitive C-mount cameras (UV sensors aren't too expensive either, but UV transparent glass is) and mess around with that. Or if you're sick of only having three colour channels to work with, consider also picking up a diffraction grating and precision cut slit for like $150 and you can build a pretty capable hyperspectral line-scan camera so you can image 200 wavebands at 3nm spectral resolution. Show your Flickr enemies what real colour reproduction is, Leica doesn't have poo poo on that.

If all that sounds too hacky and you just want to spend huge sums of money on bizarre but ready-made equipment for your obscure nerd obssession, astrophotography is there waiting.

I picked up a busted up d5000 and a "factory refurbished" mirror box/shutter mechanism/lens mount/ect. unit and am very slowly in the process of taking the camera apart and swapping out the innards. if i can get it working, the plan is to put an ir filter in it and have an ir video camera/still camera. come to think of it, it was finding out how common shutter failures are on nikons that got me thinking about picking up a second (third, I guess) camera.

tell me about this hyperspectral business. the astrophotograhpy too, I don't think western civilization will last long enough to allow me to procure a good telescope, but I would be interested to hear what the basics involved with it are.

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 15, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
*runs into thread flapping hands* It’s built in obsolescence for lower end models not unexpected shutter failure, Reddit just got mad when their trusty D3100 died after 2 years - Nikon improved the shutter count of the D3200 from 50k to 100k and most of the whinging went away.

Useful and interesting tool that will show you how close to failure your camera is; https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-camera/shutter-count-finder

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I picked up a busted up d5000 and a "factory refurbished" mirror box/shutter mechanism/lens mount/ect. unit and am very slowly in the process of taking the camera apart and swapping out the innards. if i can get it working, the plan is to put an ir filter in it and have an ir video camera/still camera. come to think of it, it was finding out how common shutter failures are on nikons that got me thinking about picking up a second (third, I guess) camera.

tell me about this hyperspectral business. the astrophotograhpy too, I don't think western civilization will last long enough to allow me to procure a good telescope, but I would be interested to hear what the basics involved with it are.

Hyperspectral imaging: I'd suggest this paper for a pretty complete step-by-step guide with an up-to-date buylist. It's a little unusual in that uses a square aperture (a more common design is a slit and "push-broom" imaging) so you get an image out of it more like what you're used to from normal cameras as well as a spectrogram - that can be handy for aiming & focusing the camera. It includes the imaging setup and software/hardware to reconstruct a hypercube from your spectral data. They also cite this very nice paper that is simpler in that is just the camera without all the Raspberry Pi stuff that you might not want to bother with, but then you'll have to figure out how to turn your spectrograms into actual images/hypercubes yourself. It's not that difficult if you're OK with writing some code, I think I have a Python script somewhere that does an OK first approximation. This older design is a little more complicated, they converted a Canon 5D and can operate with either a slit or square aperture, and thanks to the better sensor they have much higher spectral resolution.

The other hard part will be lining everything up precisely and calibrating your instrument once you have it working, but if you're dismantling a camera already you're probably OK with precision work on that scale I guess. I messed around with DIY designs for a bit and they're fiddly but you can get surprisingly good results with a week or two of effort. Then I found out my work had a $100,000 hyperspectral imager sitting around unused in a basement with a built-in xy stage and analysis software, so now I use that instead.

Astrophotography I don't know much about except looking at a mate's setup, but there used to be a thread for it in the Dorkroom I think, definitely there are a few people here taking pictures of space.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Astro: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Whatever scope/camera you decide on, don't save money on your mount.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Helen Highwater posted:

I mean, I take really lovely photos, but also, the most expensive piece of gear I have is an M42 Pentax SMC 300mm f/4, and don't think magically buying a bunch of L lenses or something will make me good. I mean, I guess my RX100 costs more, but that's what happens when you buy <$200 lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Cross-posting from the Mirrorless thread:

I've had the itch recently to upgrade from my Fuji XT-10 to something that's got a little better low light performance. Should I just try to find a used XT-3 or is it worth the premium to step up to an XT-4?

The other option i've been considering is switching to something that's full frame. I have a mix of Canon Ef lenses and M42 glass around (in addition to a few XF lenses). Looks like I could get a Canon 6D Mark II relatively cheap, but it's hard to tell if that'd be much of upgrade from what I have now.

Any suggestions?