Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I don't think Gog actually needs to do anything at this point in terms of influencing the crowd - with the possible exception of showing replays from all different angles on the big screens at the stadium and over the glyphosphere. She's already moved all her pieces into position in creating fertile soil for when this scenario happens. Moreover, having the worms come out would give Solomon an outside influence to rally support against. Best for the crowd to be good, honest Rayubans who are hella psyched they got to see their God Emperor punched in his big, dumb face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Proof of the absolutely rotten nature of Solomon's tyranny can only come from his subjects rejection of him.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Why would they reject Solomon? He's been their god and king for 3000 years. They just like a good fight.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:holy:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

wiegieman posted:

They just like a good fight.
This - and Solomon can totally spin this. White Chain landed her hit (undeniable) and that exact moment (because time froze), she did get her wish (as he'll claim it to be) granted. Thus it's proof that he must actually be a god because how else was it supposed to happen?

They'd never know that him stooping so low would mean White Chain won even harder than it already seems, right?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

wiegieman posted:

Why would they reject Solomon? He's been their god and king for 3000 years. They just like a good fight.

If he were to kill White Chain right now that would come off really bad, and possibly shake their faith in him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

maswastaken posted:

This - and Solomon can totally spin this. White Chain landed her hit (undeniable) and that exact moment (because time froze), she did get her wish (as he'll claim it to be) granted. Thus it's proof that he must actually be a god because how else was it supposed to happen?

They'd never know that him stooping so low would mean White Chain won even harder than it already seems, right?

He can't, because they've all have now seen proof that he can be injured. And if he can be injured, he can be toppled or killed. The Celestial Empire has fundamentally stood on the Paternum being a perfect diamond, and that has now been shattered with a mere bruise.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
any unaccountable authority represents a single point of failure
any rigidity is sensitive to a change in context

ultimate unaccountable authority is an ultimate failure point
ultimate rigidity could never survive the slightest change

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

I hope white chain gets a cool jacket with word on it. I nominate UNBREAKABLE

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...is Gog-Agog a clown because traditionally a jester was the only one allowed to say the quiet parts loud and criticize in a king's court.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

maswastaken posted:

Solly might be able to spin this but I think that's what we're about to see - can Solomon or Gog spin this better. Gog isn't just bluntly saying 'the truth,' she's using her position and voice to try to swing things her way and now we're into a real politics-off.

Which Solomon is probably not very well prepared for: his whole ruling philosophy works on the premise that he, and he alone, has a voice in the big stuff. He never faces anybody who is remotely a peer, and never has to broker or cajole or convince. As Solmon says: "I am my own justification. So say I. This is the law of kings. Either make it your own - or know your place."

The only form of debate that he considers legitimate is raw, naked force, and he has so far relied on it near wholly for everything. Think about the meeting with the other demiurges when even they ask "why should we listen to you" and his argument is to just blow up the table. To Solomon, that's the only proof that matters. And it's elegant, but he doesn't only want to be the strongest guy, he wants Rayuba and his people to be healthy and happy and well-cared for (if not individually, at least collectively). He has some options here, but Gog is baiting him into rationalizing, publicly, why it's still best to have him personally be the sole ruler of the empire, challenged only on his own terms in battle, and I think he's not well prepared for it.

Of course he could lose his main source of legitimacy, and try to recapture it through brutal, daily force and execute dissidents everywhere (not like he couldn't), but that would lose him his empire at a deeper level. Which I think is what WC has been trying to demonstrate this chapter.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hostile V posted:

...is Gog-Agog a clown because traditionally a jester was the only one allowed to say the quiet parts loud and criticize in a king's court.

Sometimes the sentient mass of worms in the shape of a clown is just a sentient mass of worms who appreciates the clown aesthetic

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

She gets treated as the clown
Considering hoq often she gets PERISHd

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hostile V posted:

Nobody takes a clown seriously. Or, more importantly; considers them a threat.

If all you see is the pitiful clown, you're forgetting that clown is a sentient hive-mind of worms spanning hundreds of thousands of worlds. And that's just the incarnations she lets people see, nevermind her innumerable wormed hosts acting as her eyes, ears, and agents.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The MS Paint Adventure forums, but yes: https://web.archive.org/web/2016030...fruity-webcomic

Sadly only 2 pages were archived. Make sure to click the "show spoiler" buttons to see some early versions of characters that are radically different now. Zoss was once literally Freidrich Nietzsche.

Ha! Abaddon straight up spelling the word "is" as "Ys" in version 1.0 kind of gives away the game.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

Ha! Abaddon straight up spelling the word "is" as "Ys" in version 1.0 kind of gives away the game.

eh he replaced "i" with "y" all over the place there so it just comes off as being silly more than giving anything away

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Schwarzwald posted:

AL-YIS-UN = "all is one"? :cripes:

e/ although saying that, it was obvious enough when YIS is the goddess of all that is and UN is the god of all that is not.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 14, 2020

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

For some reason I was rereading the old DC Books of Magic, and I think I found a cameo of everyone's favorite hobo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Renaissance Robot posted:

AL-YIS-UN = "all is one"? :cripes:

e/ although saying that, it was obvious enough when YIS is the goddess of all that is and UN is the god of all that is not.

AL YIS UN, UN YIS AL

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Thread's starting to read like a Dr Bronner's soap label

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

starting to

:airquote:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bilirubin posted:

Thread's starting to read like a Dr Bronner's soap label

Good.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

This thread is perennially 5 pages away from spawning either a philosophy thesis or a cult depending on what the last page was

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Posted in the ring of power discord - sound ofc required

https://i.imgur.com/u83eEh7.mp4

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Technology was a mistake.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

OK, I didn't expect him to declare her the victor.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Gamzee with a solid echoing “H O N K” in the alt text is how you know things are going to continue to go south

And by south I mean clown murder

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Reach heaven through H O N K

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1294466996030050305

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'll be damned. Solomon conceding victory is a swerve alright.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The "mass" Gog refers to isn't the audience, or the population of Rayuba.

She's about to go World-Devourer, I'm calling it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Huh. Interesting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pseudorandom name posted:

OK, I didn't expect him to declare her the victor.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It was his only smart move left, because even Solomon can read the room. Now he maintains his dignity, and instead of rioting they're gonna go out party hard enough to do riot-level damage for just a night.

Also how good is that first panel, goddamn :stare:.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm waiting for him to actually say it because this can still go a couple different ways.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also how good is that first panel, goddamn :stare:.

It's really, amazingly good. The ominous vibe nearly pours off the panel.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Malpais Legate posted:

The "mass" is absolutely Gog. No devouring though, at least not this book. We're supposed to be wrapping things up now.

Also lol at one of the first twitter responses. Oh no nips this is so uncomfortable.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Malpais Legate posted:

I doubt it.

This is her victory: Seeing Solomon submit to his own people, after all his grandstanding. This is a far greater loss for him than if he were turned into jelly by White Chain, or wormed. In this moment, he realized that he doesn't get to decide who won this fight, the audience does. Even the greatest emperor in the whole universe is only ruling by consent of the governed, in the end.

The worms are just also a metaphor, you see.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Thank you for also being an extra bitch, Gog-Agog. I would join your worm church (or "wurch") to listen to you deliver raw-rear end lines like that on a weekly basis.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah gog is talking about the people of the empire and everyone else everywhere watching this on inter dimensional cable. Gog knows the power of numbers better than anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I hadn't thought the audience was wormed, but that first panel is loving ominous, as is Gog's ranting. I'm hoping the audience isn't wormed, though watching Swolemon do a take backsies because the audience wasn't really against him would be a way for his pride to trip him up even after he's taken the first steps in the right direction.