Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I feel like I would have way more fun playing the game if the game didn't start with the three gently caress off massive empires dominant empires in the most interesting parts of the map.

Noted. I'll get into the time machine and fix that one right up for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sampatrick posted:

I feel like I would have way more fun playing the game if the game didn't start with the three gently caress off massive empires dominant empires in the most interesting parts of the map.

I think this is fine, I just think they need to be a bit more unstable

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
You mean like if you want to start as anyone in Greece or Sicily you are one bad day from being squashed by an AI empire? Those are places most people probably know about from this time period so it's strange that "vanilla" empire building experience mostly comes from barbarian tribes to the north. They have relatively symmetric starts. I gravitate to Bosporan Kingdom because they're Greeks I know and love but aren't starting in an extremely weird position.

I think this is similar to HoI4 in terms of how the game probably expects you to play as a major power. Only in HoI4 there's a lot of flavor and special content for majors. I:R gives a lot of attention to states like Syracuse or Epirus or Judea that are famous hard mode minors.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AnEdgelord posted:

I think this is fine, I just think they need to be a bit more unstable

There's a lot of civil wars happening in 1.5 it looks like, also the early Diadochi wars seem to at least have a decent chance of a more dynamic outcome now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im guessing the next flavor pack is the diadochi but I also hope they give some flavor pack for the Parthian empire. Which is the OTHER big multi ethnic empire of antiquity that arose around this same period.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

So I played a game in 1.5 as the Seleucids and it seems like they are way more unstable. The Dahae get an event that straight up kills the current Seleucid Basileus which is very destabilizing for them. Antiochus is born to die in this patch it seems. Also at the end of that civil war the Seleucid boy basileus killed every single member of the Seleucid family, including himself.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not sure on the specifics but I think there's a bug with civil wars where the entire losing dynasty gets exiled or executed even when it clearly doesn't make sense (loyalists getting disposed of, suicidal kings)

p.s. Heavy cavalry can be pretty good now, I'd even go so far as to say that it's generally better than HI unless you're going up against large armies of primarily heavy infantry.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 16, 2020

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

guns for tits posted:

So I played a game in 1.5 as the Seleucids and it seems like they are way more unstable. The Dahae get an event that straight up kills the current Seleucid Basileus which is very destabilizing for them. Antiochus is born to die in this patch it seems. Also at the end of that civil war the Seleucid boy basileus killed every single member of the Seleucid family, including himself.

he committed seleucide

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Flavius Aetass posted:

he committed seleucide

lol

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I've been an outspoken fan/supporter of this game since day 1 (hell, I even enjoyed and defended vanilla 1.0!) and uh... I kinda think 1.5 is not great and I'm not sure the game is moving in the right direction anymore. The aggressive expansion -> low internal stability -> low own-culture happiness loop in nonsensical and totally crushes expansion. Even a moderate amount of AE will doom you to low stability, and what used to be a perfectly sustainable pace of expansion will now lock you in decade(s) of being unable to declare war, even when every other aspect of your empire is healthy and sustainable, due to an arbitrary number. The trade rework really doesn't make sense (stones make slaves happy??), or make the game play any better. The culture rework, that everyone's been asking for, seems largely pointless except for role-playing, since any integrated cultures give a permanent malus. The AI is trapped in endless cycles of civil wars and rebellions (far worse than any of the previous versions) and seems unable to maintain. The game's full of weird UI bugs that didn't exist before, and required a crash-fixing hotfix so obvious that suggested that 1.5 wasn't really beta tested or played by actual people. And something about the AI now disbands their fleets and builds navies of 0 boats. I just wrapped up possibly the lamest Punic war ever, and I'm kinda soured on playing any more.

E: in fairness, the third Punic war in real life was, in fact, lamer than the first Punic war in my game

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's definitely not a good look when after you have your patch delayed for weeks the new features are tuned so you don't want to actually use them and the AI is very clearly not having a good time.

With that said I'm still having a lot of fun with 1.5; most of the small changes are really good, like cities getting extra base production, the changes to population modifiers so you're not eternally cursed if you don't have a mediterranean farmland capital, forts reducing unrest, morale bonuses being nerfed, research being based on integrated pops only, and tribal pops now promoting / demoting like other pop types. I really like the trade rework in spite of some of the modifiers being nonsensical.

The AI is definitely hosed in a couple of ways and you can't conquer so fast but a lot of the other parts of the core gameplay feel much improved. If they can have another look at stability (especially from AE), make the cultural decisions and integration more useful, and fix the obvious AI bugs (OPMs with armies of just 1k supply train and nothing else, too many civil wars, nobody builds navies), I could play 1.5 for a pretty long time.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Is it just me or is republics really hard now? Any tips is appreaciated!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Noir89 posted:

Is it just me or is republics really hard now? Any tips is appreaciated!

There was a bug making most republics politically unstable at the start of the game, this just got patched.

The patch also hopefully fixes some AI bugs and also makes the general stability / happiness landscape less extreme which combined with the above will likely mean fewer AI civil wars.

Patch notes here

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/dd-100-introducing-vitruvius.1425836/

The next big thing for Imperator Rome is apparently... custom wonders of the world?.. Like in CK2 but with custom graphics visible on map.

Hard to be excited about that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sounds neat, depends on how robust the tool ends up

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I feel like if they had just included this as a "oh hey we made a fun little DLC to go with this patch" thing with 1.6 it would be fine but they have been talking about how awesome this is going to be for at least a month and it just isn't.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If you can build giant dick monuments then this will be the best DLC ever

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

I feel like if they had just included this as a "oh hey we made a fun little DLC to go with this patch" thing with 1.6 it would be fine but they have been talking about how awesome this is going to be for at least a month and it just isn't.

Yeah, this summarises my opinion pretty well. Unless there's some major mechanics behind it, it's a non-feature.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I can understand this as a cool big thing cause it's probably a very big task from design and programming perspective. This engine they've built for glorified boardgames now supports real-time creation of custom models right there on a big map. They had something like that in Stellaris but it didn't happen on a big world map. But from gameplay perspective it doesn't feel like an expansion-selling feature. Especially if you remember that something extremely similar came in a free patch of CK2 - without the graphics but probably with more content/events/other things affecting gameplay.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

My position is: this is more or less what is was expecting from the B-team. I’d been wondering how the bifurcated development process could possibly work and the only thing that made sense to me was something that was something that was low impact, highly separable, self-contained.

So I’m not disappointed per se, because I had no real expectations to begin with. The feature seems fun, and I’ll probably pick up the DLC if the mood strikes, but it’s the Autumn of War stuff that I’m looking forward to.

Assuming that’s still going, they haven’t actually confirmed anything I don’t think.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Well, Imperator might have been a bit of a fluff on release but they are really trying to make something from it.

UI was something I've always thought sucked, so glad to see they are going in hard on it.

Also stealing the tooltip system from CK3 is a great move.

New DD:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...i5Kfdt8CcUFe6DA

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 28, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

:eyepop:

Fellblade posted:

IIRC one of the motivations for the major engine overhaul that accompanied Imperator's development was to better support reusing tech across gamelines like this, so hopefully we should see more of it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Fellblade posted:

Well, Imperator might have been a bit of a fluff on release but they are really trying to make something from it.

UI was something I've always thought sucked, so glad to see they are going in hard on it.

New DD:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...i5Kfdt8CcUFe6DA

Really love the new UI

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
is that a penguin centurion in the corner?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Flavius Aetass posted:

is that a penguin centurion in the corner?

I think it might be a platypus. It's the error counter. Same thing as the HOI error dog.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Oh that new UI looks really good. Might even get me to pick up the game again. The current one is terrible.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The red and turquoise is a fantastic colour combination and goes really well with the existing lightness of the UI which they're retaining. The old UI screwed up so hard that it's going to be easy for anything to look better but on first glance this does look pretty good (and it's still a work in progress). Moving from a mottled yellow-brown marble colour to something closer to white also helps a ton to make the important parts of the UI pop out.

Also lol the senate screen side by side comparison really makes you realise how much wasted space there was on the original UI.

I am one of the few people who thinks that Imperator is pretty fun even in its current state but I still don't play it much because it's just loving annoying to do stuff that should be simple, like finding characters, or making sure that your heir gets tutored. Or open any of the loving tabs to do government / religion / trade etc stuff because the pictures are so vague (thank christ they fixed this one). So if someone who generally thinks the game is ok to decent is turned off by poor UI/UX that shows how important it is to keep people playing.

The other changes sound even more exciting but they're understandably vague. I hope that they do a beta for this patch because otherwise I assume it's going to be riddled with bugs and I guess it's not going to release this year anyway

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 28, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Or open any of the loving tabs to do government / religion / trade etc stuff because the pictures are so vague (thank christ they fixed this one). So if someone who generally thinks the game is ok to decent is turned off by poor UI/UX that shows how important it is to keep people playing.

I genuinely thought this was something I was just going to learn over time. Nope! Three hundred hours in game, still can't find half of them reliably.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The changes are pretty exciting looking. I've only played a little Imperator, but I could never quite get the hang of the sea of numbers or what I was meant to be looking at to understand what was going on.

This is a problem in all the Paradox grand strategy games, but familiarity with the history or the idea of "you are the head of a feudal family" helped a lot in terms of sorting the information being presented.

On a first glimpse of these new screens, I feel like I have a much better chance of getting what's going on. I really like the Pops changes with the background images helping to reinforce players' mental models. The housing behind the people tells me exactly who they are in a way that their costumes did not.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 28, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

quote:

Our main military focus for 2.0 will be on tying the recruitment system(s!) into the rest of our simulation, as well as adding a much larger recognition for the cultural diversity of military forces in different parts of the map.

This line makes me think that we might be getting Victoria 2 style recruitment where its tied into the pop system

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Arheo also said in a later post "with recruitment systems being integrated more heavily with the simulation, there are going to be consequences to full-scale war beyond mere fiscal losses". In response to someone saying that Paradox games excpt Victoria never make wars have damaging long term consequences other than losses of territory or money.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I like that they're looking at also overhauling research/traditions. I really don't understand research in its current iteration. So our research levels up over time regardless of which technologies we pick? If I don't pick something and my tech level goes past it, it disappears from the list, is it lost forever? I end up just never researching technologies because I can't afford it but then am assuming I'm teching past that anyway?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

I like that they're looking at also overhauling research/traditions. I really don't understand research in its current iteration. So our research levels up over time regardless of which technologies we pick? If I don't pick something and my tech level goes past it, it disappears from the list, is it lost forever? I end up just never researching technologies because I can't afford it but then am assuming I'm teching past that anyway?

The way it works is, you get tech progress every... it's probably month but I don't actually know for sure, proportional to the ratio of the research generated by your pops to the number of integrated culture pops you have. Once you've accumulated enough progress in a particular category you advance a level. Every tech level you advance in a category unlocks three inventions related to that category, usually. Sometimes you qualify for more inventions beyond the basic three, but you always get at least three.

Both tech levels and inventions give you bonus modifiers. With tech levels, it's always the same amount and type of bonus for every tech level. So, for every level of religious technology you have, you get +2% omen power. Inventions tend to be more scattered and more impactful- so, there are religious inventions that increase omen power (Hierarchical Haruspication, Reinterpreted Prodigies, War Dedication, +5% each)... but there are also religious inventions that do completely different things. Like "Ban Witchcraft", which increases your food output (?????), and "Severe Strictures", which increases your army morale recovery rate.

So you're not "teching past" inventions in the sense that the tech level is going to obsolete the invention, and it doesn't automatically get invented when you get the next level either- if you don't buy it you don't get the bonus.

What's going on with the inventions disappearing from the list is that the game will only offer you the three most recent unbought inventions for purchase. So you go up a level, you unlock three more inventions, and the older ones get hidden. You can still buy the old ones, but you have to buy the new ones first.

You can see a list of all the inventions on the wiki. I think it's up to date.

I'm super tired right now because I got up three hours early, but hopefully this isn't too garbled.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
No, that makes a lot of sense, actually. Now the question is, am I crippling myself by not spending money on tech and spending it on armies/infrastructure? It feel like tech is so expensive that I rarely if ever have enough money saved up to buy one, and if I do, I feel like that money's better spent improving a city somewhere...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

No, that makes a lot of sense, actually. Now the question is, am I crippling myself by not spending money on tech and spending it on armies/infrastructure? It feel like tech is so expensive that I rarely if ever have enough money saved up to buy one, and if I do, I feel like that money's better spent improving a city somewhere...

:shrug:

Thing to remember is that the cost of an invention is relative to your income, so the poorer you are, the more cost-effective they get. Inventions are great for tribes. There will be a breakpoint somewhere where it flips from worth it to not worth it but I have not bothered to spreadsheet it to find out where.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Fhqwhgads posted:

I think there are a lot of very situational inventions and I like it. E.g. a lot are aimed at a type of populace you might not have at all, like tribals. Many improve, say, trading but you might have slave-based economy with little trading. Ruler popularity techs are great for monarchies but aren't nearly as important for republics.

So I'd say it's perfectly viable to only get 1/3 of those techs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If they rework tech/inventions then presumably they can reintroduce cash payments as part of peace deals since the reason that they were removed in the first place was that if you won a war against a major power you could take a gigantic pile of money and buy all the inventions.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
OK cool.

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1311374830130925571?s=19

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

:lol:

I'll definitely take another look at the game once they fix the ui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Between imperator and ck3 they really need to hire a guy just for the ui. They're somehow regressing and I don't get it