Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Agrikk posted:

You have the internet and the combined knowledge of a bazillion nerds.

But diving into the deep end and learning if you’ll sink or swim is a great motivator. Plus after a year of doing it on your own you’ll learn that you can absolutely rely on yourself to conquer any problem, deploy any workload, extinguish any fire.

Like the Narrator says, “A guy who came to Fight Club for the first time, his rear end was a wad of cookie dough. After a few weeks, he was carved out of wood.”

That kind of confidence is absolutely priceless in today’s marketplace. Walking into an interview and saying with 100% confidence that, “no I have no idea what you are talking about but give me 48-hours and I’ll have a position paper written up and a plan to deploy and be ready to brief the executive team on my plan” is exactly the kind of chutzpah people are looking for.

Yeah this is what excites me about this job I feel like I’m gonna get. I’ll be the only network admin at least for the time being. While I’m sure it’s gonna be super stressful at the start, this will he my second gig in infrastructure and my last admin job had a senior network admin who’d been working there for like 8 years. He knew everything so well that I feel like I ended up leaning on that knowledge when I was stumped. I mean it definitely helped me get through problems quicker and somewhat accelerated my learning, but I feel like it sort of limited what I learn too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bull3964 posted:

Seeing a model like that mixed with living could also be interesting. Revamp an old office building, making the outer ring with windows apartments while making the inner core shared office workspaces. Let's you maintain a work/life separation and work around other people with zero commute.

Just one big unhappy COVID cluster waiting to happen, with people working in an enclosed room 9-5 with no daylight, and sedentary living conditions discouraging exercise. As well as cycled airflow ensuring if one person gets sick in the building with anything then everyone does, because "going home" just puts them in another part of the same building and using the same common-contact surfaces regardless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not saying RIGHT NOW obviously, just a few years down the line as shedding of offices continue.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tetramin posted:

Yeah this is what excites me about this job I feel like I’m gonna get. I’ll be the only network admin at least for the time being. While I’m sure it’s gonna be super stressful at the start, this will he my second gig in infrastructure and my last admin job had a senior network admin who’d been working there for like 8 years. He knew everything so well that I feel like I ended up leaning on that knowledge when I was stumped. I mean it definitely helped me get through problems quicker and somewhat accelerated my learning, but I feel like it sort of limited what I learn too.

If this is the situation and this is how you're feeling, you made the right choice. It will take a lot of work but it sounds like a great opportunity. I think a lot of us probably went through a similar situation in our careers and it's really... informative? Enhancing? Beneficial? I'm not sure exactly what word I'm looking for here. But it'll be good for learning a lot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bull3964 posted:

I'm not saying RIGHT NOW obviously, just a few years down the line as shedding of offices continue.

My point was more that you just created a petri dish for miserable, and unhealthy, living conditions coupled with contagious disease vectors.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My point was more that you just created a petri dish for miserable, and unhealthy, living conditions coupled with contagious disease vectors.

It's not one hell of a lot different than living in a high rise apartment in general, especially one that has shared spaces like fitness centers.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Could have just been posted because they're required to even though they already planned to hire internally.
But that loving blows that your boss knows you're looking now.
Or maybe it doesn't... How do you feel about talking to your boss about how stressful things are? If he already knows you're one foot out the door then what do you have to lose?

they could get fired

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

highly recommend to never apply to hashicorp, it's a loving train wreck.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

jaegerx posted:

highly recommend to never apply to hashicorp, it's a loving train wreck.

You can't just drop this and not share some details here...

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

LochNessMonster posted:

You can't just drop this and not share some details here...

NDA on just the interview

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

NDA on just the interview

Give me a loving break. No company is that loving important.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lmao I can't wait for ndas to be required because you breathed near the main office buolding

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sickening posted:

Give me a loving break. No company is that loving important.

I've got a buddy that works for them. Basically it's a PC nightmare.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

drat those trans people giving lectures that represent them and CEOs recommending books on how to be anti-racist

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

Let me guess, your buddy is a pasty white-guy, right?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, that screenshot isn’t displaying the problem you think it is.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Those choice of words are pretty telling.

I know this isn't a political thread but

The Fool posted:

Yeah, that screenshot isn’t displaying the problem you think it is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am 100% sure the CEO of a large company stood up and said "NO MORE HIRING ON MERIT! ONLY HIRING BASED ON THE GENDER YOU IDENTIFY AS AND THE COLOR OF YOUR SKIN!"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah Mustache Ride, we are going to need to talk about "Merit". "Merit" in a perfect world wouldn't be something you would want question very often. We don't live in a perfect world though. Embracing diversity is a good thing because it means that you are trying to give people opportunities that weren't previously open to them. Minorities are going to have less experience than average because they have been unfairly restricted from the beginning of their careers. Their entire lives even.

People like you think "hire the best candidate regardless of skin color" and believe its a good and honest thing. It often isn't the case. The "best candidates" have most likely been the most privileged.

The world is changing Mustache Ride. Its time to change with it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

hot take but a minority of comparable skillset will be a better worker then the alternative

orange sky
May 7, 2007

lmfao oh man

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

hot take but a minority of comparable skillset will be a better worker then the alternative

You're right, that is a hot take. I think I just let out the world's longest sigh.

The answer to "how can we be better at this" isn't pitting workers against each other and saying "well this magical minority group will work even harder for the money!"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I guess given that I only shared the stuff said that doesn't directly identify him, it can be taken that we were making light of the problems he told me about. Fair enough.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Tbh I didn't appreciate when my company started pushing that "how not to be racist while white" book either

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Working on computers is supposed to only be nerdy whites, this is a fuckin outrage.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It’s so funny that people think more diverse candidates lower the bar when the bar is so much higher for us to get to the interview in the first place.

Your friend sucks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah I guess given that I only shared the stuff said that doesn't directly identify him, it can be taken that we were making light of the problems he told me about. Fair enough.

The problems that he is complaining about in that screenshot are not actually problems, hth.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Even though our HR dept is glacially slow I do like how they screen canidates.

Basically names/gender/ethnicity are all kept hidden right up until the interview. We're also forced to ask the same questions to each candidate to try and enforce a fair interview process. Its not perfect, and there is still room for bigotry but it does a good job of removing some bias from the process.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My personal take is if you get any annoyed at any sort of protected class (that you are not a member of) sensitivity out-reach because you don't think you need it, then you are exactly the audience that needs it. Even if you feel you conduct yourself in a way that's an ally, everyone could use a bit more dedicated time to dwell on the topic.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
sudo rm -rf last_50_posts

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

Tbh I didn't appreciate when my company started pushing that "how not to be racist while white" book either

Considering neither the book mentioned in the IP chatlog pictures or the book you are referencing match the names of any actual book, it's kinda hard to tell what we're talking about here!

If you're already educated on the topic then you should have no problem with them trying to educate others. If you aren't, why would you not appreciate a recommendation going out?

There's definitely a leftist "these capitalist companies are pushing books that talk about anti-racism only through a pro-capitalism lens" critique that could be had here, but ahm... I don't think that's what we're talking about here.

So why did you not appreciate it?

AlternateAccount posted:

So sorry to interrupt your IT discussion thread with discussion relevant to IT.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You drat well know 99.99% for sure the book is White Fragility.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

minorities, in my tech company?!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Ignoring problems doesn't help either.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I’m also pretty annoyed with how your friend othered the hell out of that poor trans speaker. How dare she make an emoji feminine!

If y’all are still doing traditional sysadmin work, you should make sure your systems for changing someone’s preferred name is easy, automated, and consistent! Whether it’s for someone changing their preferred first name and gender, or someone changing their last name due to getting into or out of marriage, you should implement a system that makes name changes easy. It’s within your power, will make a difference for people going forwards, and can be a fun engineering challenge depending on your environment.

I make a point of setting something up everywhere I work now. It’s simple, easy, and makes your org more inclusive.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

Ignoring problems doesn't help either.

Sorry, you guys were right on the cusp of solving racism. It's not ignoring, it's just not wanting to watch a few pages of some people saying hey, the "mitigation efforts" are often misguided, divisive, or outright stupid and then other people telling them what awful lovely bigots they are. It's just not useful. But sure, go on, "educate" them via mob verbal bludgeoning. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sickening posted:

Yeah Mustache Ride, we are going to need to talk about "Merit". "Merit" in a perfect world wouldn't be something you would want question very often. We don't live in a perfect world though. Embracing diversity is a good thing because it means that you are trying to give people opportunities that weren't previously open to them. Minorities are going to have less experience than average because they have been unfairly restricted from the beginning of their careers. Their entire lives even.

People like you think "hire the best candidate regardless of skin color" and believe its a good and honest thing. It often isn't the case. The "best candidates" have most likely been the most privileged.

The world is changing Mustache Ride. Its time to change with it.

You guys need to work in some lovely environments or something. At my last job, my senior engineer burned out. Our junior engineers left and weren't replaced. The director put in his notice when it was just me, him, and an analyst. If you got a good number of outstanding applicants for open positions, it's a great policy. If there's not much difference in output between a low performer and a top performer, no big deal. When your team is permanently short staffed, you don't have the luxury of giving people a six month ramp up time. It perpetuates the cycle of needing experience to get experience, but that's on companies for cutting to the bone rather than pasty white guys only wanting to work with ubermensch.

Contingency fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 14, 2020

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.amazon.ca/White-Fragility-People-About-Racism/dp/0807047414

An executive organization recommending this book to your company just isn't very woke in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Sorry, you guys were right on the cusp of solving racism. It's not ignoring, it's just not wanting to watch a few pages of some people saying hey, the "mitigation efforts" are often misguided, divisive, or outright stupid and then other people telling them what awful lovely bigots they are. It's just not useful. But sure, go on, "educate" them via mob verbal bludgeoning. Be the change you want to see in the world.

:fuckoff: