Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

It also speaks to larger, more deep seated issues in their lives, and it almost makes me wish I'd majored in psychology just so that I had the proper metrics to understand it all with.

:wtc:

People are allowed to disagree with your opinion of a piece of media and it’s kinda gross for you to assume a dissenting opinion stems from that person having “deep seated issues in their lives”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i just came here to get illicitly horned up about riker but this thread has made it creepy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:wtc:

People are allowed to disagree with your opinion of a piece of media and it’s kinda gross for you to assume a dissenting opinion stems from that person having “deep seated issues in their lives”.

I'm not talking about folks in this thread for people who dislike this show or that show for whatever reason, I mean the folks on twitter or wherever who straight up live in their rage about [pop culture thing]. I've never seen those sorts of people express a liking for anything, or at least a liking that's not also couched in some form of anger or hatred. If that at least doesn't give you pause, well...

oh but seriously I posted:

i just came here to get illicitly horned up about riker but this thread has made it creepy

Never be ashamed for being horny for Riker, my friend. Also I'm sorry they ran out of good avatars for you in the Avatar avatar thread and you got stuck with the lousy Avatar: The Game Avatar avatar.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 14, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm not talking about folks in this thread for people who dislike this show or that show for whatever reason, I mean the folks on twitter or wherever who straight up live in their rage about [pop culture thing]. I've never seen those sorts of people express a liking for anything, or at least a liking that's not also couched in some form of anger or hatred. If that at least doesn't give you pause, well...

twitter is not real life, stop it.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm sorry they ran out of good avatars for you in the Avatar avatar thread and you got stuck with the lousy Avatar: The Game Avatar avatar.

all i have to do is keep irritating randos until i earn a red text. there are no problems, only solutions

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
My hot take on the Lower Decks show first episode that came out today for everyone to see:

It's Rick and Morty... but Star Trek.

I really appreciated that they didn't try to use any familiar characters and intentionally avoided familiar settings, so that I could have enough suspension of disbelief to enjoy it as just an Adult Swim show in Star Trek world.

I didn't like that they name dropped a bunch of familiar characters near the end, though, but I'm sure they only did that to satisfy the corporate managers who needed to green light it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Love Stole the Day posted:

Really no need to spoiler that. They should've called it Trek And Morty.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Love Stole the Day posted:

My hot take on the Lower Decks show first episode that came out today for everyone to see:

I really appreciated that they didn't try to use any familiar characters and intentionally avoided familiar settings, so that I could have enough suspension of disbelief to enjoy it as just an Adult Swim show in Star Trek world.

I didn't like that they name dropped a bunch of familiar characters near the end, though, but I'm sure they only did that to satisfy the corporate managers who needed to green light it.

Fwiw the second episode is much better

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Don't make me bring up the "Star Trek Was Never Political and Also Alex Kurtzman Owes Me A Personal Apology For Discovery" screenshots again.

There's a lot of angry dipshits in real life, and before the internet, these were relegated to basements, being gross and smelly and generally ignored by the world, able to do very little but occasionally get printed in fan magazines so everyone could roast the poo poo out of them or mock them at conventions. Nobody has ever given the tiniest gently caress what they think. What changed with the advent of the internet is that while these all still apply, a select few can now make a living wage going onto youtube and making videos about how its all evil bad wrong and terrible. All of this without exception is a factual grift. These people have predicted Star Trek getting cancelled and Kurtzman getting fired since DISCO1 and it hasn't happened yet because they simply.do.not.matter.

Ramadu posted:

Fwiw the second episode is much better

The jump in quality legitimately shocked me. I really liked how much support the senior staff gives to their charges, the cerritos crew is much nicer than the TNG crew. Honestly the fact that you can just change careers for basically no reason and get a ton of backpats is really adorable.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

feedmyleg posted:

Looks like CBS put the first episode up on YouTube region-free and, bravely, comments enabled. Guess they liked what they saw from fan reactions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HzRGqvRK8U

This seems... fine? Like I don't hate it but I don't feel a burning desire to pay to watch it either.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Alex Kurtzman Owes Me A Personal Apology For Discovery

he kind of does, though

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

8one6 posted:

This seems... fine? Like I don't hate it but I don't feel a burning desire to pay to watch it either.

Lower Decks is the first “pretty good right off the bat” Trek thing since it got revived.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

he kind of does, though

She more wants an apology for what she's gone through because of "poo poo trek". If you go through literal trauma because they made a bad star trek show, you have bigger problems than Alex Kurtzman's tenure as producer.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that sounds terrible, I'm just looking for a public flagellation. i'd settle for a heartfelt apology over the phone though.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Episode 2 was a lot better. Best joke was the shapeshifter from that TAS episode I just watched last week.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

HD DAD posted:

Lower Decks is the first “pretty good right off the bat” Trek thing since it got revived.

Sure, ok, but there was nothing about that first episode that made me want to spend $10/month to watch more of it. I mean, I guess it's not impossible that a temporal anomaly will intersect my house and double my age overnight and I'll suddenly become interested in binge watching Gunsmoke but if that doesn't happen then all CBS All Access really has is new Trek and I can catch up with Lower decks a year from now in the same month the last episode of Picard s2 finishes up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Boimler's such a whiner and I don't know why Mariner bothered propping him up like that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked that the Engisns weren't part of the big space adventure and it was more mundane things going wrong.

Get this man some hot worms!!!

I do love they're also able to use animation to put in way more aliens, and have way more alien designs than would be possible on TNG.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Below Decks is a less zany Rick and Morty in the Trek universe with like a dollop of Mission Hill thrown in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MadJackal posted:

Below Decks is a less zany Rick and Morty in the Trek universe with like a dollop of Mission Hill thrown in.

I am the Dominion Vampire! I may listen to Marilyn Manson, but I obey The Founders!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gotta admit that I was a little disappointed that they were going with the race essentialism thing with the Ferengi in TYOOL 2020, and glad of the reveal of what was really going on.
It was weird how apparently everyone except for Ensign TooCoolForStarfleet is super racist though.

Technowolf posted:

The only LDS character I dislike is Mariner, but that's because she's written to so much of a rules-breaking badass ace that she comes off as a Mary Sue more than anything.
She's basically Ace Rimmer but played straight. And Boimler is regular Rimmer, but we're supposed to like him for some reason.

The_Doctor posted:

Man, some of you are so keen to hate on LDS.
I don't hate it, it's just... not good? In two episodes there hasn't been a single joke that actually made me laugh and I don't like any of the characters because there's not enough depth to any of them to actually make them worth caring about.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Modern Star Trek: I'm pickard Rick!

+1 vote for the Janeway Protocol.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think what's supposed to be happening with Boimler is the gradual revelation that basically everyone on the command track in Starfleet starts out like him and gradually grows into the hero they want to be. Mariner sees that in him and while she has the rebellious streak which means she ostensibly doesn't want to go down that path, she knows he can.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tiggum posted:

In two episodes there hasn't been a single joke that actually made me laugh

And yet I’ve laughed several times? Comedy is subjective, and I think this has been pretty good right off the bat.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

The only problem with Lower Decks is my wife hates Star Trek but really likes this show (and Orville) so now I have to briefly explain all the jokes and references and we had to have a brief discussion about the canonical vacation sex planet. Her response to that was a confused "I thought Star Trek was serious." Oh no, Star Trek has always been stupid.

It's a good show. I like it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I laughed at "I think we might be violating the Khitomer Accords." Either Boimler is such a panicky wimp that he thinks two lost ensigns delivering a guy to a bar in a free port is an act of war, or he's right and this situation is about to cause an interstellar incident.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Arglebargle III posted:

I laughed at "I think we might be violating the Khitomer Accords." Either Boimler is such a panicky wimp that he thinks two lost ensigns delivering a guy to a bar in a free port is an act of war, or he's right and this situation is about to cause an interstellar incident.

Or it's comical exaggeration?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

THE COMEDY UNDERSTANDER has logged on

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

After three rewatches I kind of chilled out about Ensign Zany-Know-it-All Mariner. I guess she’s OK but I hope the small sample size of two episodes just means they haven’t perfected how to write her yet. I expect once we see more interaction with others we’ll know it’s either the same boring formula and they don’t know how to write, or they mix it up with great results.

Come for the Lower Decks, stay for the smorgasBorg :twisted:

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Mariner's whole deal is she'd be a captain if she wasn't so anti-establishment. I don't mind that she's a know it all, because it just adds to her character as an extremely capable yet permanently bored chronically under-employed ensign.

I know people like her in my daily life, the sort of person who should be running the place but the promotion holds less than no appeal for them so they slum it down in the entry level and gently caress around with people all day.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ensign Gilfoyle

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's good

Modern Star Trek Megathread: Pro-Banana Ray, Hot

DOOMocrat posted:

The writing's good, the deep cuts are really cool, but goddamn I wish literally anyone else was animation lead.

As someone who has never watched R&M I don't see what the problem is. It's bright and colorful and does its job just fine imo

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It seems like R&M broke people’s brains. Even as a huge Community fan, I never sat down to watch it. I guess it became too much of a meme and the fans are terrible?

Honestly I get more Futurama vibes from LDS, and I’m okay with that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Its look is a kind of Rick & Morty/Futurama hybrid. Like Rick & Morty’s character proportions and movement but with the cleaner lines and brighter colours of Futurama?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zutaten posted:

Mariner's whole deal is she'd be a captain if she wasn't so anti-establishment. I don't mind that she's a know it all, because it just adds to her character as an extremely capable yet permanently bored chronically under-employed ensign.

I know people like her in my daily life, the sort of person who should be running the place but the promotion holds less than no appeal for them so they slum it down in the entry level and gently caress around with people all day.

Boimler's line "what do you mean back in the day, we're the same age?" was funny but also drove home a conceit the show is going to repeatedly ask us to overlook - Mariner is simultaneously young and rebellious and is world-wise and experienced. It's a problem in that episode's plot enough that they bothered to face it head on, but I can see it getting old.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Alchenar posted:

Boimler's line "what do you mean back in the day, we're the same age?" was funny but also drove home a conceit the show is going to repeatedly ask us to overlook - Mariner is simultaneously young and rebellious and is world-wise and experienced. It's a problem in that episode's plot enough that they bothered to face it head on, but I can see it getting old.

I can rationalize this away based on the fact that she used to be on her dad's ship, and if a random admiral's flagship got up to even half of what the Enterprise got up to in a year or two, and she was some sort of Main Character Ro Laren style bridge ensign, she can absolutely work up that level of experience. Plus I think they said she was demoted prior to her transfer, so she was an Lt probably?

It doesn't really seem disingenuous to me, personally.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The Bloop posted:

As someone who has never watched R&M I don't see what the problem is. It's bright and colorful and does its job just fine imo

I think it's just a case of an exceptionally idiotic toxic fanbase poisoning an otherwise totally fine and enjoyable thing for many people. Luckily it never bothered me because I guess I was never in any of the same spaces, but if you saw it a ton I guess it was really grating.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also I have to imagine there will at some point be an episode where the A-plot is "Mariner is such a jaded know-it-all that something goes really badly because she didn't listen to Boimler's book smarts" or something along those lines

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I only saw the first season of R&M but I gotta say the art really doesn't strike me as that similar; certainly not enough to justify the number of people out there going "IT'S JUST RICK AND MORTY WITH STAR TREK REFERENCES"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also I have to imagine there will at some point be an episode where the A-plot is "Mariner is such a jaded know-it-all that something goes really badly because she didn't listen to Boimler's book smarts" or something along those lines

Wasn’t that kind of how the episode began? She left a drunken Klingon that she knew was a kleptomaniac alone in a shuttle in a dangerous part of town despite Boimler’s repeated admonishments and ended up loving up their whole mission. Yeah, she helped Boimler fix it, but none of it would have happened if it weren’t for her.