Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

oh my (not directly comics-related, but it's Johns, so)

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1293652833615708172

What does A>E mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

I loving love the way Cooke drew her in New Frontier. She was wider and taller than Clark!

If we're getting realistic about muscles in comics Clark shouldn't be buff at all, tall maybe, but you build muscles by pushing them close to their limit multiple times a week, which he almost never does. Wonder Woman grew up on an island full of warrior athletes who spent all their free time training.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HorseHeadBed posted:

What does A>E mean?

Best guess; art is better than entertainment?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

site posted:

I like the second one for how they apparently went into Uber detail mode drawing just stupid amount of muscle but can't draw a face to save their life

Their eyes never got that high in female anatomy class.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HorseHeadBed posted:

What does A>E mean?

Accountability over entertainment I think?

Skwirl posted:

If we're getting realistic about muscles in comics Clark shouldn't be buff at all, tall maybe, but you build muscles by pushing them close to their limit multiple times a week, which he almost never does.
Clark isn't human though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Accountability over entertainment I think?

Clark isn't human though.

Well then why the gently caress isn't Kara looking like those Wonder Woman alt covers?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

Well then why the gently caress isn't Kara looking like those Wonder Woman alt covers?

Turns out heat vision burns calories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Turns out heat vision burns calories.

That...

actually makes sense, except we're back to my original point about Superman.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

HorseHeadBed posted:

What does A>E mean?

Actors > Executives?

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

That picture of Supergirl is still a beautiful blonde woman with large breasts in a skintight outfit, she's just not drawn specifically for wank fodder and it's still not good enough, incredible.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Molly is odd... on one hand, Dr. Sketchy's is super cool, and a lot of her political writing is excellent.

On the other hand, she has a lot of terrible friends. Like Weev and Warren Ellis.

Late but that Medium article is a wild ride :staredog:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I feel increasingly in favor of a policy of 'when someone lies with dogs, assume they have fleas' policy, TBH. I might have been forgiving during the before time with Ellis, but Weev? For gently caress's sake.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 13, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mycot posted:

extremely this, wtf

also, and this isn't comics, but :wtf:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I, too, am friends with people I find reprehensible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Meet my best friend, the Red Skull.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mycot posted:

I just read it myself, and Jesus Christ. I don't have context for Crabapple or Weev apart from the contents of it, but he comes over better than she does while literally admitting to being a Nazi.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe some rando is friends with another, apparently bad, rando

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

site posted:

Can't believe some rando is friends with another, apparently bad, rando
Molly Crabapple is an artist and reporter who sort of rose to prominence on the Warren Ellis Forum, started a touring life drawing class that was basically part of the 2000s indie comics scene, worked in comics, published graphic novels, was part of the ACT-I-VATE comics site/collective/book alongside a bunch of people including Dean Haspiel, Chip Zdarsky, Michel Fiffe, Roger Landridge, etc.

She no longer is active in the comics scene, and was introduced into this thread because she tweeted about dedicating her Emmy nomination (for a comic/animation she did about/with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) to all of the misogynists in comics that drove her out of the industry and onto bigger and better things.

The fact that a woman who ten years ago was a rising name in the comics industry and says she was driven out by how it treated women seems germane to the thread.

The fact that she was defending Warren Ellis after all of the things that came out about him this year and were discussed in this thread seems like a reasonable expansion of the topic.

The fact that a comic book artist who left the industry because of its politics and rose to acclaim covering Occupy Wall Street and the Syrian Civil War and doing artwork for a prominent Democratic politician also befriended/supports Warren Ellis and an avowed self-proclaimed Nazi with a big ol' swastika tattoo also seems at least as germane to the thread as like... deviantart nobodies making Big Titty Wonder Woman fanart?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was actually referring to Jordans post, sorry

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

site posted:

I was actually referring to Jordans post, sorry
Whoops, apologies right back atcha

Though hopefully SOMEONE got something out of the Molly post.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it’s definitely not a comics thing, was just a really bizarre part of that medium article that stood out to me.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Molly Crabapple is a really interesting figure and I think her early ties with the Ellis forums make a lot of her dumb friendships with monsters more legible. I think that culture tied progressivism with transgression in a way that made a lot more sense 30 years and was already beginning to look sort of ludicrous in the 90s and aughts but the last few years have been an object lesson in that ideology imploding.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Jedit posted:

I just read it myself, and Jesus Christ. I don't have context for Crabapple or Weev apart from the contents of it, but he comes over better than she does while literally admitting to being a Nazi.

It's really loving funny how the Literal Nazi makes fun of her for quietly dropping him once being woke became the new way to internet popularity instead of 4chan edgelording, not because of the Literal Nazism.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 13, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Piell posted:

Speaking of "I have to want to gently caress her"
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1293544495578054657

I know I'm lacking the original source, but are we postive that Wonder Women 2020 one isn't a Liefeld parody? It's even got the feet cut off.

edit: ok no I reverse GIS'd and it's a muscle fetishist who can't draw feet who isn't Liefeld.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I know I'm lacking the original source, but are we postive that Wonder Women 2020 one isn't a Liefeld parody? It's even got the feet cut off.

edit: ok no I reverse GIS'd and it's a muscle fetishist who can't draw feet who isn't Liefeld.

I was gonna say, beyond the no feet thing it doesn't look much like Liefeld art, and it really doesn't look like any of the women he's drawn.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

It looks nothing like Liefeld art so no?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent posted:

It looks nothing like Liefeld art so no?

Yeah, this is what a Rob Liefeld Wonder Woman looks like

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, this is what a Rob Liefeld Wonder Woman looks like

:stonk:

Why are her knees nearly at her ankles!?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Yvonmukluk posted:

Liefeld's art has always read to me like someone who, like, started to learn anatomy, but then veered sharply into stylization and visual short cuts before he really understood what he was stylizing and short cutting. So you end up with some weirdly truncated limbs that would make sense if they were foreshortened, maybe, but they're not so they just look mutated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hello friend, are you new here?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My "favorite" bit of Liefeld art, at least of a woman, is probably his Enchantress.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 14, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Enchantress bears the most poison of any creature, yet her fangs are too small to deliver it. Sad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

My "favorite" bit of Liefeld art, at least of a woman, is probably his Enchantress.

Somewhere Rob is getting really mad and tells somebody 'hey man my stuff sold millions through one of the biggest boom periods in comics' and doesn't know why.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Liefeld heard the compliment "she's got legs that go forever" and took it literally

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This part isn't entirely on Liefeld, but she's also literally talking out of her rear end in the third panel.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Skwirl posted:

Here’s a fun exercise: take a finger and cover Enchantress from the waist down. Now slowly move your finger to reveal the full body and marvel once again at how hosed up this anatomy is.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Discendo Vox posted:

we simply must update our references. my god

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Green Intern posted:

Here’s a fun exercise: take a finger and cover Enchantress from the waist down. Now slowly move your finger to reveal the full body and marvel once again at how hosed up this anatomy is.

in video form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAWwD_sZnvE&t=45s

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood
Honestly, I thought the last one was the most Liefeldian. It's like someone traced his infamous Cap cover with a how to draw manga book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
That Enchantress drawing makes all the sense in the world, though.

"Guess the right-hand panel will just be a full-length shot of Enchantress. Okay, torso's done and... Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo."