Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Oldstench posted:

Hollow Knight is a game that was obviously made with great love and care. I absolutely cannot stand paying it though and will never get the cult-like devotion it bred on the internet.

Quoting my own post to let you know that after discussing it with the thread, I started playing it again and found that I am actually (mostly) enjoying it immensely. I still have a couple of complaints, but I just want to say that I was wrong. It's good. drat good.

Negatives:
  • I still hate that the Wayward Compass is even a thing.
  • Long runs back to a boss that killed you sucks rear end.
  • I wish there were health bars for the bosses at least.
  • The game is Too drat Big. New areas just keep opening up. It's nuts. I'm at a point where I can't get past these black geyser things. I have no idea where I should be going to find the tool I need to pass this. There are no hints that I can find. It's just frustrating.
Positives:
  • Everything else. Controls, graphics, sound, music, presentation, gameplay, combat, etc., etc.
Good loving game. Shame it took me 3 years to realize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Oldstench posted:

The game is Too drat Big. New areas just keep opening up. It's nuts. I'm at a point where I can't get past these black geyser things. I have no idea where I should be going to find the tool I need to pass this. There are no hints that I can find. It's just frustrating.

it's way, way down at the bottom of the map. possibly deeper than you realise the map even goes.

more specifically in the abyss, which is below the ancient basin, which is below the royal waterways

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I can relate on Hollow Knight. I didn't really know what to do next when I bought it a d I put it down. Two years later I ask the hollow knight thread where to go, and I complete 90% of the game . I put it down, a year later I ask the thread again and I get to the end.

The true boss is testing my patience, so I opted for the bad ending.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

repiv posted:

it's way, way down at the bottom of the map. possibly deeper than you realise the map even goes.

more specifically in the abyss, which is below the ancient basin, which is below the royal waterways

you do have to have gotten something else first to access the area though, the King's Brand from after the Hornet II in Kingdom's Edge, which can be possible to miss as it isn't strictly necessary for beating the "main" game.

Glad you've come around Oldstench, but wow I don't think I've ever seen someone complain about the world being too big. The whole thing is such a wonderful interconnected treat, that even though it did take me a while to explore all of it, I never wanted it to end. I'm not even a big metriodvania fan but Hollow Knight is drat near a perfect game imho.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Another random tip that might help you with one of your bullet points is to go and check back with the Seer every once in a while as you collect Essence.

One way I understand the complaint that the game is too big is that while the map feels very connected and natural while you're playing it, it's definitely gigantic and that can really punish people who aren't playing it consistently, i.e. picking it up for a few days and taking long breaks, as Oldstench is reporting having done. The game is a masterclass in Metroid level design, where on the way to pick up a new movement ability you will always pass a couple different paths that will open up with that ability. But yeah, it helps when you get that movement ability somewhat near the same day that you passed those things.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I finished Hollow Knight just before Silksong was announced and my first reaction was "oh god there's more?". It's a lot of game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

OzFactor posted:

Another random tip that might help you with one of your bullet points is to go and check back with the Seer every once in a while as you collect Essence.
To be a bit more straightforward about this, because I do not think it spoils anything to know while being incredibly helpful: once you collect 900 essence, you get the Dreamgate ability, which lets you place a single teleport marker to which you can return at will at the cost of a single point of essence, which is basically nothing. Essence is technically infinite and when you use it to teleport, random enemies will drop it far more often until the expended amount has been regained.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Spelunky 2 page is up

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Guessing it's a month-long exclusive on Playstation.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The trailer looks amazing. So many cool little ideas in there

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Mordja posted:

Guessing it's a month-long exclusive on Playstation.

Who knows, but it isn't exclusive because of any deal or anything. It's just delayed on PC to get the online multiplayer done right, apparently.

According to Derek Yu the current aim is "no later than a few weeks" after the PS4 launch:

https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1294330530691862528?s=20

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hollow knight seems more susceptible to "where the gently caress do i go"-ism than a lot of metroidvanias, it's very easy to miss an innocuous side passage that leads into a whole new quarter of the map

the queen's gardens in particular confounded me on both my playthroughs

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, I just gave up when the game introduced another collectible (I think its the one you have a time limit to collect once you activate something). It felt like I was never going to finish, and I was tired of scouring the map looking for the thing I missed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, I just gave up when the game introduced another collectible (I think its the one you have a time limit to collect once you activate something). It felt like I was never going to finish, and I was tired of scouring the map looking for the thing I missed.
You're probably thinking of the wheel trees. Those just give essence and are largely optional, as far as I'm aware. You never really need to do them to progress.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Also there's no actual time limit afaik. Even if it does, the essence you collected remains so, you just have to whack the tree again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think there's a time limit on how long the individual blobs of essence exist in the world, but yes, what you collect isn't deducted from your total if you fail to get it all in time. You just have to go back and activate the wheel tree again.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Hollowknight has this going for it, at least.

https://twitter.com/numijulie/status/1293652668490145797?s=20

That aside, Parkasaurus take: it's okay.

There's not a lot to actually do and you are severely gated by not only money but also two seperate research trees, one that progresses by paying for scientists (and you're gated by how many scientists can do this) and the other that progresses by making your zoo-dinosaurs happy. Except you can't make them particularly happy until you go through either research tree, and it's expensive to boot. That combined with the fact that unlocking new dinosaurs takes both research trees' currencies and you have a game that is incredibly slow. Compounding that even further is that dinosaurs need different biome stuff depending on where they, you know, live, separated into trees, bushes and rocks. You need to (spam) a number of a each in a exhibit to make them happy, with trees/bushes needing to be weirdly close to a pool of water. You need to research trees, bushes and rocks all separately.

It isn't inherently a bad game, but it's also not a particularly good one.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
If any weirdos were still waiting for Factorio to come out of early access (despite being a complete game for like 4 years now), version 1.0 finally dropped today! Come lose yourself in endless conveyor belts.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Logan 5 posted:

Who knows, but it isn't exclusive because of any deal or anything. It's just delayed on PC to get the online multiplayer done right, apparently.

According to Derek Yu the current aim is "no later than a few weeks" after the PS4 launch:

https://twitter.com/mossmouth/status/1294330530691862528?s=20

I need to finish Spelunky so that I understand the story going into 2. Game only takes about a half hour to playthrough right? Should be able to knock it out by then.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I just got a hankering to play some good ol' Splinter Cell. Anyone know if Chaos Theory on steam has controller support or if you can play online multiplayer? I'd love to play some Coop or even wrangle some friends to fill a match of Mercs vs Spies. gently caress that would own.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jolo posted:

I need to finish Spelunky so that I understand the story going into 2. Game only takes about a half hour to playthrough right? Should be able to knock it out by then.

:cawg:

:cry:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

I just got a hankering to play some good ol' Splinter Cell. Anyone know if Chaos Theory on steam has controller support or if you can play online multiplayer? I'd love to play some Coop or even wrangle some friends to fill a match of Mercs vs Spies. gently caress that would own.
You might be better off playing Blacklist. It categorically has the more stupid story, but the multiplayer is still functional and you can definitely use a controller to play it as well. The gameplay modes are all still there, from what I can tell, but I don't even know how long it has been since the last time I played Chaos Theory.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Stan Taylor posted:

Yes to the first no to the second because they took the servers down a while ago, but you can get it working if you use one of the virtual lan services.

Edit: You're probably gonna want to rebind some controls and the Steam forum is complaining about issues but my controller is working.
If you're having issues you could use Steam's controller stuff because this might be the first and last time I ever say this but Steam's default control config works pretty well for Chaos theory.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 14, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

If any weirdos were still waiting for Factorio to come out of early access (despite being a complete game for like 4 years now), version 1.0 finally dropped today! Come lose yourself in endless conveyor belts.

Seriously if you've never played Factorio, never looked at Factorio, whatever the case may be, now is the time to take a good hard look at this game. Factorio is one of those rare masterworks that people will remember fondly and/or still play in 20 years.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I got to Olmec once. Then later on I saw that there's like an even harder bit after that to unlock and overcome.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i never beat the ice world :(

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Awesome! posted:

i never beat the ice world :(

same

spelunky is one of those games i really liked and loved it existed and I got to play it, but man i was capital BAD at it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Getting to the (regular) ending of Spelunky is honestly not *that* hard, but it requires learning the mechanics (with trial & error), so you can play safely and avoid the stupid deaths. And of course being lucky with the item drops helps.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Kennel posted:

Getting to the (regular) ending of Spelunky is honestly not *that* hard, but it requires learning the mechanics (with trial & error), so you can play safely and avoid the stupid deaths. And of course being lucky with the item drops helps.

A lot of it is just patience and having a plan for a situation (which I say even though I haven't seen any ending haha). Most of the time when I die I realize, oh crud I had a bomb or rope that would've made that bit easier. I just got back to playing this every few days recently and was surprised to make it back to the ice caves on my first play in probably a year or more.

Your tag reminded me that today's Nancy is very good.

https://twitter.com/SluggoIsLit/status/1294145525994979328?s=20

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Definitely another "Loves Spelunky, has never gotten past the jungle" guy right here. I reinstalled it and have been meaning to get back and try again, I'm sure my skills have only increased since then!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I usually love roguelikes and roguelites, but Spelunky just never clicked with me. I think it's the time limit.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
My favorite thing about Spelunky was that 98% of the time, the death was your fault and not just RNG screwing you over. It's designed insanely tightly even compared to other high polish roguelites.

That meant that once you got the game mechanics down though that if you went meticulous and very slow you'd be fine, which necessitated the timer/ghost to discourage doing that.

Then again once upon a time I was a Spelunky addict; have all the achievements, broke the millions score a few times, and did nearly everything in the game except the completely insane eggplant challenge run.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

As someone with over 1500 hours logged in Spelunky, it's really just about learning the mechanics, especially your movement and how the whip works. There are a lot of jumps that don't look possible, but totally are. It has crazy loony-toons time, you can still jump almost a whole block of distance after you run off a ledge.

Also, go to the options menu and set it so that you're ALWAYS running. That helps a lot with the time limit, I never come close to getting the ghost unless I'm like trying to scrounge together money to buy a jetpack or something.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Cardiovorax posted:

I usually love roguelikes and roguelites, but Spelunky just never clicked with me. I think it's the time limit.

For me it's the loving clown nose. Why does he have a clown nose. I loving hate clowns. Why does he have a clown nose.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

credburn posted:

For me it's the loving clown nose. Why does he have a clown nose. I loving hate clowns. Why does he have a clown nose.

You can always play the 2009 free version that is 8-bit-ish and (almost) no clown nose:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
What the gently caress is that red dot in the middle of his goddamn fuckin face

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

credburn posted:

There are like four characters unlocked at the beginning, just play as someone else.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Orv posted:

What doesn't suck is this update about the mouse-driven UI for Dwarf Fortress' steam version.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/975370/view/4639224265623959693

I never in a million years thought I’d see DF on steam.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

credburn posted:

Clowns are pretty terrible, so I feel for you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that's my pet clown Reggie