Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Does anyone have the picture of the food container for sale that just says party food. It had some gross brown slop in it. I've been looking for it, and I haven't had any luck. It seems like randaconda posted it here at some point, but the imgur link is dead.

FruitPunchSamurai has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
One of my former roommates left food out all the time, but they were his pots and pans so I usually just left them. The two worst offenders were a pot of tuna rice, and a stockpot full of chicken mushroom soup. I foolishly thought he had actually put the soup away since he said something about taking some of the leftovers to his girlfriend's place, until I went to move the pot off my drat countertop a week later. Eventually I just abandoned the pot outside so I wouldn't have to see it anymore. Presumably it was eventually cleaned or thrown away after he moved out, about two months later, but I honestly have no idea. :barf:

uber_stoat posted:

the secret to making really great cheese is you let bugs chew on it for a while.

What kind of bugs? This is important.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Bees on Wheat posted:

One of my former roommates left food out all the time, but they were his pots and pans so I usually just left them. The two worst offenders were a pot of tuna rice, and a stockpot full of chicken mushroom soup. I foolishly thought he had actually put the soup away since he said something about taking some of the leftovers to his girlfriend's place, until I went to move the pot off my drat countertop a week later. Eventually I just abandoned the pot outside so I wouldn't have to see it anymore. Presumably it was eventually cleaned or thrown away after he moved out, about two months later, but I honestly have no idea. :barf:

What kind of bugs? This is important.

Cheese mites. Its mimolette cheese.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

American cheese does taste like cheddar because it's literally made out of cheddar. And colby, which is cheddar's weird cousin that doesn't go through the cheddaring process (it's pretty mild). They melt it together, add a few chemicals and milk to control its chemical balance and then remold it into its new form.

Unless you got something like these, which are actually mostly composed of vegetable oil, whey, and gelatin.

There's as much cheese as they say there is.

uber_stoat posted:

the secret to making really great cheese is you let bugs chew on it for a while.

This is a moldy orange.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

SlothfulCobra posted:

American cheese does taste like cheddar because it's literally made out of cheddar. And colby, which is cheddar's weird cousin that doesn't go through the cheddaring process (it's pretty mild). They melt it together, add a few chemicals and milk to control its chemical balance and then remold it into its new form.

Unless you got something like these, which are actually mostly composed of vegetable oil, whey, and gelatin.

There's as much cheese as they say there is.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cheddar cheese actually made in Cheddar, Somerset tastes different to what is made in other countries. The cheese makers age it n the caves there and obviously it’s different from other Cheddars.
Cheddar has become the most prevalent cheese around the world and not all of it is good.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Of the USA's myriad crimes against humanity, besmirching the good name of cheddar by associating it with tasteless orange plastic poo poo is close to the top of the list.

I'm an English teacher in Europe and when I ask my students what they think of British cheese they either look confused or, if they're French, laugh in my face. When I show them actual extra mature (gently caress off with your 'sharp' nonsense) crumbly cheddar suffused with tyrosine crystals they're genuinely surprised as the only British cheese available in shops here are processed orange 'cheddar' slices.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

the whole concept of crunchy crystallized cheese can gently caress completely off. cheese should be soft

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Where does Australia's "Tasty Cheese" rate on this scale

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LordSaturn posted:

the whole concept of crunchy crystallized cheese can gently caress completely off. cheese should be soft

Sorry about your baby palate. Would you like some ketchup with your tendies?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anyway the first time I went to a deli counter in the Northeast and ordered what was proudly touted as Boar's Head Extra Sharp Cheddar (it was on sale!), they unwrapped a giant cellophane-covered brick and happily sawed off 1/2 pound for me of what turned out to be fuckin American cheese that was purportedly "extra sharp cheddar" "flavor". Turns out if you want ACTUAL cheddar cheese you have to be SUPER specific and they look at you all weird. Ended up with a half pound of this sad rubbery crap that tastes like plastic rear end, and it just sat in my fridge until I could find things to tear shreds of it into and make it slowly disappear

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Aug 14, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Japanese cheese options are comical. Everything is processed cheese. Even the nicer cheeses are just processed cheese vaguely flavored like what is supposed to be.

If you do find normal cheese in japan it's imported, even though they have a huge milk industry in hokkaido.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

Anyway the first time I went to a deli counter in the Northeast and ordered what was proudly touted as Boar's Head Extra Sharp Cheddar, they unwrapped a giant cellophane-covered brick and happily sawed off 1/2 pound for me of what turned out to be fuckin American cheese that was purportedly "extra sharp cheddar" "flavor". Turns out if you want ACTUAL cheddar cheese you have to be SUPER specific and they look at you all weird. Ended up with a half pound of this sad rubbery crap that tastes like plastic rear end, and it just sat in my fridge until I could find things to tear shreds of it into and make it slowly disappear

Boar's Head products are overrated, HTH

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

Japanese cheese options are comical. Everything is processed cheese. Even the nicer cheeses are just processed cheese vaguely flavored like what is supposed to be.

If you do find normal cheese in japan it's imported, even though they have a huge milk industry in hokkaido.

I've always figured that the lack of cheese in Asian cuisines was due to the fact that being able to process dairy in adulthood is uncommon outside of white people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

Boar's Head products are overrated, HTH

No doubt, but they appear to have a 140% monopoly on all the stock in all deli counters on the East Coast and beyond

It's that or Store Brand :patriot:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I've always figured that the lack of cheese in Asian cuisines was due to the fact that being able to process dairy in adulthood is uncommon outside of white people.

Always thought it was cultural, but now japan has a hunger for processed cheese that cannot be stopped. one cheese food that some Japanese people eat daily is cheese-toast for breakfast, common for young people to eat. They sell that lovely Camembert everywhere, including gas stations, and I've never really encountered Japanese people that ate it, but other foreigners would.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

rodbeard posted:

How do you age cheese for 22 years. I had a free sample of 12 year old cheese from a cheese maker and I'm pretty sure they were actually just trying to give it away because it was an abomination.

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I'm guessing very carefully, with really good milk, and in small batches.

Hook's Cheese in Wisconsin has quite an age range available year round, with a 20 year old every couple years.

I did a social distance cheese party earlier this summer, and from left to right is 5/8/10/12/15/20 year old cheddars. The 20 year old was crazy flavorful and savory, but almost too much to handle in more than small bites. 12-15 years is a great range for cheddar. It's mature and has lots of crystalization, but isn't so strong you can only eat a little bite. Also isn't $200/lb.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's the answer for pretty much all good cheese. Made carefully with good milk and not in industrial size quantity means it will prob be pretty decent.

Casu Marzu has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Aug 14, 2020

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Always thought it was cultural, but now japan has a hunger for processed cheese that cannot be stopped. one cheese food that some Japanese people eat daily is cheese-toast for breakfast, common for young people to eat. They sell that lovely Camembert everywhere, including gas stations, and I've never really encountered Japanese people that ate it, but other foreigners would.

Just because they crave it doesn't necessarily mean it's their bodies can process it on a day to day basis or their bodies will show acute symptoms.

I guess it really depends on the individual and their genealogy but my dad is a good example of Asians not being able to process dairy and not showing immediate symptoms but resulted in moderately serious chronic conditions. Being a vegetarian for the better part of 30 years, a lot of his protein consumption up until a few years ago consisted of dairy especially cheese and yogurt. And for as long as I remember, he always had psoriasis and some pretty wicked dry spots especially on his hands and feet. Then several years ago, my dad started getting really bad bowel movements to the point where he had to do an elimination diet to figure out what was causing it. Turns out he has Crohn's disease and can no longer have gluten or dairy. Since going onto his new diet, his skin has practically gone back to normal which makes sense in hindsight and means that my dad's body had been raising red flags for years.

That's not to say every Asian will develop Crohn's disease from consuming dairy but my dad's case points out that dairy and gluten intolerance isn't necessarily immediate and can be very subtle for years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wonder how delicious century cheese is

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Bog Butter is a thing and apparently delicious, so I guess we should try tossing a wheel of cheese in a bog and make someone dig it up in the post apocalyptic 22nd century.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That cheddar lineup looks awesome but really any upper-shelf cheddar should not be eaten in more than small bites, imo. It needs to be savored and allowed to melt, like good chocolate. Anyone who would work their way down that plate chowing down big chunks I'd look at the same way I'd look at someone at a Scotch party who's chugging shots.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Bog Butter is a thing and apparently delicious, so I guess we should try tossing a wheel of cheese in a bog and make someone dig it up in the post apocalyptic 22nd century.

OMG, museum butter

You think the docents take a bite from time to time?

here's some "new" bog-butter

only 18 months in the bog

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I feel like the chili isn't the unhealthy part of a homemade chili dog, chief.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mmm, minimum 5 percent Camembert!
A cheese dessert with no mention at all of what cheese it is! (Although it'd probably be pretty good. That toasted soy flour is delicious. Also good: rum-raisin cheese.)
Mozzarella, with minimum 65 percent Mozzarella and "a light milky flavor"! :smith:

I'm no cheese snob, and I love Japan, but they absolutely seem to have cornered the market on "cheez".

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The French word for non dairy cheez is "fauxmage."

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I love the fact that the "see also" on the wikipedia page for bog butter is adipocere (corpse wax)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_butter

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Smen is stored in the bogs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RoboRodent posted:

The French word for non dairy cheez is "fauxmage."

I think I'll be a Faux Mage next time I play D&D

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

Smen is stored in the bogs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hirayuki posted:

I'm no cheese snob, and I love Japan, but they absolutely seem to have cornered the market on "cheez".

Korea has the same deal. It's all stuff that makes Kraft singles seem gourmet.

A friend's student once wrote "Korea has many kinds of cheese. We have both white and yellow." and that summed it up well.

Cheeza crackers in Japan are fuckin' great though.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Cheeza crackers in Japan are fuckin' great though.
:hai: They actually taste like real cheese! Don't melt worth a drat, unfortunately. And people look at you funny if you eat them on crackers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the prices that England must pay for its colonial past is that after spreading its people so much that English is the most widely spoken language on the planet, its cultural heritage is left in the hands of people who will not respect European food trademarks and will put out their own attempts at their old cheeses without the same regulation or history of trial and error that they had back in the mother country.

France protected their food trademarks by making sure that their colonies would either be swallowed by anglophones or thoroughly curse anything to do with the colonizer.

Iron Crowned posted:

Probably tastes like century egg.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doesn't enormously matter though because the UK still produces enough of its own style of cheese that it basically drowns out most other varieties on the home islands, which of course is the only place that really matters.

Though the british lust for cheese does mean we still import a lot of other types, but if you just ask for "cheese" you will probably get hard cheddar. Or maybe red leicester for some reason.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my favorite British cheese fable is that of Wensleydale cheese, which was accidentally saved from near extinction when Wallace and Gromit incidentally named it as Wallace's favorite cheese.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's awesome. I hardly even mind that James Herriot signal boosted it like two decades prior and that's where I learned of it, so when Wallace shouted it out I was like leonardo_dicaprio_pointing.jpg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One nice thing I like is if there's a farmer's market I like to get basically any cheese they're selling, cos it's probably interesting and nice, even if it looks like some sort of mutant hell tumour a lot of the time. Apparently the UK is just super loving into cheese in a way even the continentals aren't quite.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Of the USA's myriad crimes against humanity, besmirching the good name of cheddar by associating it with tasteless orange plastic poo poo is close to the top of the list.

I'm an English teacher in Europe and when I ask my students what they think of British cheese they either look confused or, if they're French, laugh in my face. When I show them actual extra mature (gently caress off with your 'sharp' nonsense) crumbly cheddar suffused with tyrosine crystals they're genuinely surprised as the only British cheese available in shops here are processed orange 'cheddar' slices.

A local grocery store has an amazing British coastal cheddar full of tyrosine crystals that's delicious and only like $6 a pound, an 8oz. brick makes a great snack food, because a couple pieces just destroy your tastebuds and totally sate your desire for further snacking.

Unlike something like a delicious smoked cheddar or gouda where a small piece makes me want to devour a whole block.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

uber_stoat posted:

my favorite British cheese fable is that of Wensleydale cheese, which was accidentally saved from near extinction when Wallace and Gromit incidentally named it as Wallace's favorite cheese.

In the Monty Python cheese shop sketch, the proprietor is Mr Wensleydale. But it was getting scarce already by then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't recall this episode of Red Dwarf. Is one of them Kristine Kochanski?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

I don't recall this episode of Red Dwarf. Is one of them Kristine Kochanski?

What happens in a Total Immersion Video Game stays in a Total Immersion Video Game.