Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who liked Rick & Morty season 1 but stopped when I had my fill and never discussed it online... I'm not feeling the similarities. They're very different types of writing and humor. The similarities are that they're both silly sci-fi shows, that their characters are both following current animation trends, and that they're both somewhat manic—again, following current trends. People are hyper-sensitive to R&M for whatever reason and I think it's leading to them trying to draw a comparison when one isn't organic. Like, it's got just as much in common with Adventure Time or Infinity Train or Final Space as it does R&M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I only saw the first season of R&M but I gotta say the art really doesn't strike me as that similar; certainly not enough to justify the number of people out there going "IT'S JUST RICK AND MORTY WITH STAR TREK REFERENCES"]

I think this is just how animation goes. Every few years you have a look that a lot of animated shows follow and everyone bemoans the lack of originality but ultimately it's just a look. I don't get a R&M vibe from the show at all. If anything I think it reminds me of Gravity Falls. It just gets the R&M comparison because sci-fi, some zaniness, and it's a popular recent cartoon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I only saw the first season of R&M but I gotta say the art really doesn't strike me as that similar; certainly not enough to justify the number of people out there going "IT'S JUST RICK AND MORTY WITH STAR TREK REFERENCES"

Yeah other than like "this is how I draw hands" it's almost completely different and I wouldn't have made the connection myself if people hadn't made a big deal about it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I only saw the first season of R&M but I gotta say the art really doesn't strike me as that similar; certainly not enough to justify the number of people out there going "IT'S JUST RICK AND MORTY WITH STAR TREK REFERENCES"

Yeah, honestly, the similarity is mainly in the eyes. And that they both have a very simplistic look and movement style (at least in the foreground characters) that basically kinda like an upgraded version of ye olde flash cartoons.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Phylodox posted:

Wasn’t that kind of how the episode began? She left a drunken Klingon that she knew was a kleptomaniac alone in a shuttle in a dangerous part of town despite Boimler’s repeated admonishments and ended up loving up their whole mission. Yeah, she helped Boimler fix it, but none of it would have happened if it weren’t for her.

Except she was never called out on it. The end of the episode is her going "I did a good thing by helping my friend get his confidence back!" and not "Wow, I'm sorry I screwed everything up and got you pretty badly injured because I was more concerned with showing my old friend a good time rather than making sure he got where he needed to go."

In order for a good comeuppance episode to happen it would need to end with her a) recognizing that she made a mistake and b) suffering repercussions that she actually cares about.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Modern Star Trek Megathread: Pro-Banana Ray, Hot

What, no

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pro-Anti-Banana ray traitor spotted

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The show's lead was a head writer and producer on R&M, and the show gets referenced in interview and press a fair amount when Lower Decks is being discussed. I wouldn't say Lower Decks is a clone of R&M, but maybe cousins is accurate.

Maybe something like the relationship of Disenchantment to Futurama -- even that connection may be too similar compared to LDS<->R&M -- where if you're describing it you would probably say "it's in the vein of Futurama but fantasy". You might say LDS is in the vein of R&M, you wouldn't say "LDS is in the vein of The Simpsons".

That being said I wouldn't say that and I'd say Lower Decks is just it's own animated show with writing somewhat reminiscent of R&M but without the impact (of the writing, not the show).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

piratepilates posted:

That being said I wouldn't say that and I'd say Lower Decks is just it's own animated show with writing somewhat reminiscent of R&M but without the impact (of the writing, not the show).

I guess this is the part I can't see yet. The only similarity the writing shares with what I remember of R&M is that there's a big annoying supergenius character.

But I mean, I have to stress this is a super small sample size. For all I know episode 3 is the PICKARD RICK episode

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some people would be real surprised to find out there are cartoons other than Rick and Morty. Dozens of them, in fact! :eyepop:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Grand Fromage posted:

Some people would be real surprised to find out there are cartoons other than Rick and Morty. Dozens of them, in fact! :eyepop:

rick and morty isn't even the first!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF8faYSW_7A

some reports say there are in fact other cartoons out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbrwRcwtO_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMFHRXp8xM

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There are only three types of cartoons.

Proto-Rick and Morty which evolved into
Rick and Morty which spawned
Rick and Morty knockoffs

Check mate :smug:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Technowolf posted:

Except she was never called out on it. The end of the episode is her going "I did a good thing by helping my friend get his confidence back!" and not "Wow, I'm sorry I screwed everything up and got you pretty badly injured because I was more concerned with showing my old friend a good time rather than making sure he got where he needed to go."

In order for a good comeuppance episode to happen it would need to end with her a) recognizing that she made a mistake and b) suffering repercussions that she actually cares about.

She immediately got called out on it and spent the rest of the episode trying to fix it. The difference between Mariner and Boimler is pretty prominent in this episode; Boimler thinks knowledge comes from reading and studying and, when he fails, immediately crumples and gives up, while Mariner learns from experience and, when she fails, uses it as an opportunity to learn and improve, hence how she’s so competent now.

If you’re expecting a big, explicit, dramatic resolution I don’t know if this show is going to satisfy you. It seems pretty light and breezy so far.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Martytoof posted:

Rick and Morty knockoffs

Hmm. I suppose your IQ is high enough to understand.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Rick and Morty knockoffs

So you're saying Star Trek the Animated Series evolved into Rick & Morty which evolved into Lower Decks? Which would make LD a direct ancestor to TAS which everyone hails as a great successor to TOS? Checkmate indeed!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think the big thing here is are the characters going to grow as time goes on. You can have Boilmer be an uptight nerd but maybe have him be more confident as time goes on or have Mariner still be rebellious but mature. And it looks like they may try and show growth as time goes on?

Also, in the vein of trek I liked how the crew was accepting of and encouraging of Rutherford's career transfers. Feels very in the vein of Star Trek but still its own thing for the show.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Phylodox posted:

Wasn’t that kind of how the episode began? She left a drunken Klingon that she knew was a kleptomaniac alone in a shuttle in a dangerous part of town despite Boimler’s repeated admonishments and ended up loving up their whole mission. Yeah, she helped Boimler fix it, but none of it would have happened if it weren’t for her.

I'm getting the feeling that Mariner is going to be both the cause, and solution, to most of story arcs. Which can get really boring fairly fast.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BexGu posted:

I'm getting the feeling that Mariner is going to be both the cause, and solution, to most of story arcs. Which can get really boring fairly fast.

This is episode two. I don’t think we can infer much from this except that they’re firmly establishing the dominant traits of their main characters. You have to establish a baseline before you can start implementing change, and that’s going to take more than just a pilot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Star Trek fandom is now inventing ever-more-bizarre taxonomies of cartoon shows.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
E2 is more Futurama than Rick & Morty

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is this the Mummies Alive thread?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

piratepilates posted:

The show's lead was a head writer and producer on R&M, and the show gets referenced in interview and press a fair amount when Lower Decks is being discussed. I wouldn't say Lower Decks is a clone of R&M, but maybe cousins is accurate.

Maybe something like the relationship of Disenchantment to Futurama -- even that connection may be too similar compared to LDS<->R&M -- where if you're describing it you would probably say "it's in the vein of Futurama but fantasy". You might say LDS is in the vein of R&M, you wouldn't say "LDS is in the vein of The Simpsons".

Sure, but what I'm (and I think a lot of people at least ITT are) referencing is the art/animation style. The show's lead wrote for R&M but had nothing to do with the art. The comparisons of Futurama/Simpsons/Disenchantment are valid writing-wise, but as far as art, it is, if not the same exact animators, a very deliberate repetition of the style established by the Simpsons animators.

I would say that there is merit to discussing the similarity in writing between LDS and R&M (and between LDS and Futurama), but not the animation, at all. And it does seem like a lot of the negative reviews I've seen elsewhere specify that the animation looks just like R&M which isn't true in the slightest, IMO.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Technowolf posted:

To be fair, the one single thing she actually did that threw her own plan off was not knowing about the ion field blocking comms/transporters.

I don't think there needs to be a big dramatic arc where she gets her comeuppance, but I do think there should (and I believe there will be) at least one episode where the dynamic is reversed; Mariner gets the gang in over their heads by being a know-it-all, and Boimler's book smarts gets them out of it. That's all it really takes - you hit the note that Mariner isn't perfect, and you hit the note that Boimler isn't worthless, just oblivious and whiny.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, with the ensign team-ups being the same in the second episode I was really expecting them to flip the dynamic. I think it'd go a long way to fixing people's complaints with both characters. As it stands having Mariner get two wins in a row makes it feel like the show is endorsing her point of view.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

am I the only one who laughed at the "Combat Simulation: Smorgasborg" gag

I am aren't I

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm enjoying the show so far as it actually hit on my criteria. Character focused, dealing with moral dilemmas, highlighting the complexities of interacting with diverse cultures, all while maintaining a similar look/feel to TNG era trek all while bringing something slightly new to the table of having the perspective of non-senior officer characters.

The show clearly has a yet be explored backstory about the hyperactive rule breaking ensign that likely explains her behavior.

This is actually the best trek in decades but again that was a low bar to get over.

G-III fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 14, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nodosaur posted:

I am aren't I

Hell no

I got a good laugh out of most of the episode :)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

I am aren't I

No, I loved it.

I've seen Lower Decks get a lot of hate from the Neckbeard Elite, but I've genuinely enjoyed the first couple of episodes. I like that there's a goofy cartoon set in the Star Trek universe.

I mean, every time Not Cyborg tells his boss that he wants to change departments, he's confronted with commanders who are so unselfish that they immediately celebrate his decision, because they just want him to be happy. Weird energy being just enter your ship and start talking all threatening-like? C'mon, we've all seen this before; stuff it in a Triple-Phlebotinum-Plated Storage Pod before it zaps you.

It's not deep, but it's fun. I mean, I have a bunch of popcorn in the house that ain't gonna eat itself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

At this point a new Trek show that's fun to watch is an achievement.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Finally caved and watch the first episode, it's a series of 30-second Twitter jokes stretched out into a show. I am glad it's not cripplingly depressive like the live-action stuff but there's really nothing much to say about it except that it isn't nearly as funny as it wants to be or thinks it is. It looks and sounds alright too I guess which is nice for a cartoon I suppose but... Yeah. It definitely made me miss the Orville. Trek ain't nothing but a brand now.

E: I never kept up with modern animation much except for some episodes of American Dad, and I never got into Futurama back in the day so I have nothing really to compare this to.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, with the ensign team-ups being the same in the second episode I was really expecting them to flip the dynamic. I think it'd go a long way to fixing people's complaints with both characters. As it stands having Mariner get two wins in a row makes it feel like the show is endorsing her point of view.

This is exactly my feeling too.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think there needs to be a big dramatic arc where she gets her comeuppance, but I do think there should (and I believe there will be) at least one episode where the dynamic is reversed; Mariner gets the gang in over their heads by being a know-it-all, and Boimler's book smarts gets them out of it. That's all it really takes - you hit the note that Mariner isn't perfect, and you hit the note that Boimler isn't worthless, just oblivious and whiny.

I really hope there is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Edit: wrong person.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 14, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Alchenar posted:

Boimler's line "what do you mean back in the day, we're the same age?" was funny but also drove home a conceit the show is going to repeatedly ask us to overlook - Mariner is simultaneously young and rebellious and is world-wise and experienced. It's a problem in that episode's plot enough that they bothered to face it head on, but I can see it getting old.

I think her character makes a lot more sense with the reveal that she's the daughter of a captain and an admiral. She's a Starfleet brat who has been immersed in this stuff since she was a foetus. She probably saw energy beings while she was taking pre-K on a Galaxy Class and had to hide from a Salt Vampire during a high school field trip to Beta Virginis IX or whatever.

The pressure to get into the "family business" was probably immeasurable and my read is she did well enough for a time (she was probably an Lt maybe even LtCdr?) but then came to the realization she was spending her best years living the lives her parents wanted for her and decided that she wasn't going to spend her 20's constrained by the stuffy rails of the officer command track and rebelled and got reassigned, busted down. But she's not a quitter so she won't just resign and admit to being a "failure" rather than too aloof and cool for it, and her connections keep her from getting dismissed.

It's turned up to 11 for cartoon reasons, but it's actually a reasonably compelling character by the standards of the Stock Starfleet Officers we're used to.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 14, 2020

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'm enjoying it anyways. It's got a few chuckles out of me and at least it's lighthearted.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

E2 is more Futurama than Rick & Morty
Yes, the second episode is far far better than the first one. That "jayneway protocol" joke was decent.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

The Bloop posted:

These were great props for their time

The STP stuff and a lot of recent stuff has just been the laziest Buy a Kindle and Glue Some poo poo On It prop design

Resurrecting an old post for an off-topic comment, but I really hope "foldable screen" tech ends up going in this direction for phones. Something that rolls up into a tube, no more rectangles filling up our pockets.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NZAmoeba posted:

Resurrecting an old post for an off-topic comment, but I really hope "foldable screen" tech ends up going in this direction for phones. Something that rolls up into a tube, no more rectangles filling up our pockets.

Essentially mediatronic paper a la Diamond Age

Someday, for sure, if we don't kill our collective selves before then

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Bloop posted:

Someday, for sure, if we don't kill our collective selves before then

Outlook not so good. Hopefully the Vulcans show up sooner than later.

Thought it would probably go down more like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9TdvN07ZWI

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Martytoof posted:

Rick and Morty knockoffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlLODaZWP2M

For starters, let me introduce you to an animated show that's superior to Rick and Morty in every conceivable way.:p

As for episode 2, I like the cast, and even "Did they completely forget the Wesley Crusher hate?" Mariner is starting to grow on me.

Seriously loved Sam Rutherford side quest and glad the command teams seems like pretty good people despite of the shenanigans.

I'm also glad we got proper Klingons and Ferrengi back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Firefly had that too, I thought it was a good design.