Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Trilobite posted:

I'm sure a professional software developer will be on reddit within the next few hours to explain how this is entirely normal for a project of this size and ambition, and getting those jobs filled will be easy. After all, the best way to do things that have never been done before is to hire people who have never done anything before, which is why a CIG employee lineup these days looks like a high school class photo.

It's like how according to science, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it flies. People with no programming experience don't know what you can't do, so they do it. Star Citizen proves this logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
In case anyone is wondering what bnbl is up to these days unmute this gif

https://i.imgur.com/QFoGCMF.gifv

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Thoatse posted:

Duckchat made the thread stronger we need more duckchat

That duck wants to gently caress your poo poo up!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I like how they are adding alien ships, but its obvious they are only designed for human sized models.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fidelitious posted:

I know people are kind of desperate to believe that the funding tracker is faked because it makes you feel better about humanity, but I'm sorry guys, it's real.

I believe it's fully legitimate and the bump this year has been indirectly funded by government emergency money to people that didn't actually need it to survive.
It's one of those Occam's Razor things. While it's fun to imagine conspiracies about money laundering the much simpler answer is that the Star Citizen community has a good number of idiots with money to burn.

Yerp.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have yet to see a single alien, or a human. Plenty of sentient fetish-dolls walking around though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thoatse posted:

Watch this while playing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

did they record any other songs or is the soundtrack just full burn 12 times

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

A lot of jobs are going at their Wilmslow office in the UK which isn't far from me. I've been tempted to apply, I don't have any experience or knowledge of the roles (I'm a web dev) but worth a punt eh?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
'Vacancies open' is the name of the documentary about this poo poo show. Bring your own self insert or fursona.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Awesome! posted:

did they record any other songs or is the soundtrack just full burn 12 times

That's the only original tune, but they have a full album of songs by other people on the soundtrack, hold up a sec I have the CD here

1) Pet Shop Boys - Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)
2) ABBA - Money, Money, Money
3) AC/DC - Moneytalks
4) Mr Money & The Money Makers - Full Burn
5) Steve Miller Band - Take the Money and Run
6) The Flying Lizards - Money
7) Cyndi Lauper - Money Changes Everything
8) Patti Smith - Free Money
9) Pink Floyd - Money
10) Rush - The Big Money
11) The Notorious B.I.G. - Get Money

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

skyelevator posted:

A lot of jobs are going at their Wilmslow office in the UK which isn't far from me. I've been tempted to apply, I don't have any experience or knowledge of the roles (I'm a web dev) but worth a punt eh?

Nah man, they need some serious talent. I mean, poo poo... even the junior devs hit senior or lead in like 3 weeks

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

skyelevator posted:

As a web developer you're clearly qualified for the role of backend game services engineer with your encyclopedic knowledge of sql and/or nosql, service oriented architectures and microservices, blahblahblah

They'll snap you up and point you at the servers

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A guy I know applied to be the window cleaner there and by the end of the day he was installing anti virus software onto their PCs

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

99 problems but a pitch ain't one

if this gets a probe plz include sexy bears

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

A guy I know applied to be the window cleaner there and by the end of the day he was installing anti virus software onto their PCs

Fitting and oddly wholesome. Maybe.

Maybe the real virus was Star Citizen? Maybe I'm just a fool

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Mr.Tophat posted:

The shared interest from citizens is the desire to be part of something which was promised and never delivered. Never can be delivered. And so, they act as a mailman for their dreams. Packaged from recycled wants and desires that Crobberts created years ago now.

Now this is poetry. Hat tip Mr Tophat!

Also conjures images of a very strange sorting office.

'I've got sack of procedural birds and my own release schedule'

'Listen, just shake it. There's definitely a crossbow in there.'

'Anyone taking a trip down Wingman's Hangar lane?'

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Fidelitious posted:

I know people are kind of desperate to believe that the funding tracker is faked because it makes you feel better about humanity, but I'm sorry guys, it's real.

I believe it's fully legitimate and the bump this year has been indirectly funded by government emergency money to people that didn't actually need it to survive.
It's one of those Occam's Razor things. While it's fun to imagine conspiracies about money laundering the much simpler answer is that the Star Citizen community has a good number of idiots with money to burn.
so yeah man all these russian accounts with $250,000 worth of ship merchandise trading them to people with accounts less than 24 hours old is totally organic and not weird at all

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
not $2,500, not $25,000, but multiple loving accounts with hundreds of thousands of dollars of "merchandise"

https://pastebin.com/S3Ngh0QB

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
CSGO shut down their trading for it, lesser known games got shut down for it, it's a thing that happens and with huge dollar amount items it's the perfect area to obfuscate millions a month

and now the guy who is a part of turbulent who is a part of this entire shitshow is a russian oligarch banned from doing business in the US, totally normal, organic business practices, nothing to see here just normal people spending several hundred thousands on a broken tech demo like they do

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Dr. Honked posted:

As a web developer you're clearly qualified for the role of backend game services engineer with your encyclopedic knowledge of sql and/or nosql, service oriented architectures and microservices, blahblahblah

They'll snap you up and point you at the servers

Sorry, should have said, I'm a WordPress web dev.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
do whales make up a portion of the funding? sure. same as the $45 peeps who get conned into this like some MLM scheme

but something is deffo off about this whole goddamn thing

I can't tell if they are massaging numbers or getting an influx of cash from other sources, but their be funk up in this motherfucker

I tell you this as a 100% certified german auditor so best believe

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

skyelevator posted:

Sorry, should have said, I'm a WordPress web dev.

Wordpress has a back end, so you're a back end expert. Go get em tiger

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I am also a back end expert :corrupt:

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Dr. Honked posted:

Wordpress has a back end, so you're a back end expert. Go get em tiger

I reckon it would be funny to have on your CV that you worked at CIG, because every job you went for after that may want to hear what a car crash it was.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

TheAgent posted:

I am also a back end expert :corrupt:

I have a back end :wotwot:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm really happy that TheAgent is on board with my theory about a Russian conspiracy.

I told all of you years ago.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

TheAgent posted:

so yeah man all these russian accounts with $250,000 worth of ship merchandise trading them to people with accounts less than 24 hours old is totally organic and not weird at all

Is the Hairy Roberts organic? I only eat organic sales you see, artificial sales make me bloated

TheAgent posted:

not $2,500, not $25,000, but multiple loving accounts with hundreds of thousands of dollars of "merchandise"

UFO poster with "you are not alone" on it that one can rip down from the wall to see an escape tunnel that Croberts has been working on for the last ten years with a rock hammer

Pixelate posted:

Now this is poetry. Hat tip Mr Tophat!

Also conjures images of a very strange sorting office.

'I've got sack of procedural birds and my own release schedule'

'Listen, just shake it. There's definitely a crossbow in there.'

'Anyone taking a trip down Wingman's Hangar lane?'

Piles of letters to the editor stacked upon old style pc boxes of games as the stack overflows and developers moan, 'mercy' as the two week cycle repeats anew, gaming is saved with such broad strokes of an artist's pen, we are all saved in this posting paradise of promises and gold tinted glasses

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Dr. Honked posted:

I have a back end :wotwot:

Blimey, the last back end guy left this in a mess

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Star Citizen is a toy boat that when submerged in water never stops giving small blubs of trapped air

Dunk it in salsa and see the sauce bubble unnaturally, coyly, seductively, endlessly

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean this poo poo is about as "normal business" as Kodak stocks

so, uh, I guess actual normal business, sadly

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Amazing roadmap update today. They added a ship they've already sold to people. It'll be in-game (but not finished) 6 months from now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skyelevator posted:

Hell yeah. Speak only in reddit posts during the interview.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TheAgent posted:

Is that based off of the ships they have for sale?

'Cause a thought occurs to me- during one of the sales they could buy a ship, return it for store credit, buy another, return it also ect ect ect... Then when someone wants to buy one they can use the "rebuy" feature to retrieve it and sell it- but they wouldn't have all those ships at once...

(I guess they'd have to upgrade a fresh ship for it to be giftable? CIG's store and CCUs and upgrades are all unbelievably fucky...) -like intentionally so.

Describing CIG byzantine ship sales and upgrade process is like listening to a MLM pitch- complete with its own lingo and abbreviations... "if you just CCU the rebuy into an upgraded Idris you'll increase the number of floor moppers in your downline and be a double black diamond concierge rear-admiral!!!"

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 14, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nicholas posted:

Amazing roadmap update today. They added a ship they've already sold to people. It'll be in-game (but not finished) 6 months from now.

But it's solid proof they have a ton of cool stuff they leave off the roadmap!!!

Secret dev build confirmed :smuggo:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Free BigNipplesBigLife!

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Can this please be the premise of a Good Will Hunting 2? "I was just a window cleaner until I started filling outs SOCKS equations on the board... in 3 months I was head of fake ship development."

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Thoatse posted:

This is the straw that broke the :five:'s back. Doesn't matter what CIG ever achieve, this thread is already worth every single money laundered cent.

Also the straw that made me Shazam the audio from this video then pay amazon 99p because it is the only place it exists? ('Lee Montana - War (Never Lost)' if anyone give's a poo poo).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

XK posted:

I'm really happy that TheAgent is on board with my theory about a Russian conspiracy.

I told all of you years ago.

Somewhere in Russia a group of confused old tattooed guys sat around a table, smoke haze and sweat in the air, and one asked 'Gregori, remind us what a Javelin is again.'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mr.Tophat posted:

Star Citizen is a toy boat that when submerged in water never stops giving small blubs of trapped air

Dunk it in salsa and see the sauce bubble unnaturally, coyly, seductively, endlessly
:hmmyes:
I must try this.