Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PoptartsNinja posted:

I definitely don't have good enough detail brushes for work at mapscale. Just in case anyone was wondering how much of a hex a BattleMech actually occupies.

For reference:

that's cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Ok now let's see people's largest painted "minis"

Not sure which is bigger, my thunderhawk or reaver - one has a much bigger footprint and the other is a lot taller.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I feel I am slowly improving with better brushes and more paint. I painted the lower part of the head that goes in to the armor flescolor and now it is very visible and looks bad .
https://imgur.com/gallery/ZOWhkmW

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Psyber Spine posted:

How did you go about doing your canopy? I'm also redoing things for the new edition and I'm currently repainting a valkyrie. I've gone for a kind of flat bottle green with a gloss over it and it doesn't look very convincing. Maybe I need to finally learn how to do wet blending!

This was based with Kantor Blue, and worked up with Baharroth Blue. I then washed (more like a heavy glaze) the dark half with Drakenhof Nightshade, and used my finger to wipe away the tide mark before it dried.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Well, one Spes merhn almost down, a fuckton more to go.

Eldritch BiLast fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 14, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

My first warhams ever!! :toot:

Edge highlighting? Really rough! I gave up halfway mostly because I only have a size 2 brush (still waiting for my 00 and 1 to come in the mail) which made for some awkward painting. Gotta work on brush control. Think I need to work on bringing out more contrast and I'm not sure if I like the colour shift to a sky blue and I'm thinking maybe a deeper blue (and then a white highlight).

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Space sharks space sharks space sharks

-Airbrush primer Vallejo USN Ghost Grey.
-Airbrush basecoat Vallejo Model Color Sky Grey.
-Airbrush mid highlight Vallejo Model Color Pale Grey Blue.
-Airbrush spot highlight Vallejo Model Color Silvergrey.
-Airbrush reverse-zenithal shadow Citadel Coelia Greenshade.
-Airbrush Vallejo Mecha Satin Varnish.
-Brush Vallejo Model Color Neutral Grey on pauldrons, backpack top, weapon casings, and left bracer.
-Brush Vallejo Model Color Silvergrey on face grill.
-Brush Citadel Corvus Black on pouches, holster, tubes, back straps, and in eyes. (Whoops, looks like I forgot to do his right inner elbow joint.)
-Airbrush mid highlight mixture of Vallejo Model Color Light Grey and Vallejo Model Color Red on dark armor panels. I think it was 3:1.
-Airbrush spot highlight Vallejo Model Color Silvergrey on dark armor panels.
-Airbrush reinforce reverse-zenithal shadow Citadel Coelia Greenshade on relevant bits of dark armor panels.

In retrospect I ought to have waited and done all the Coelia Greenshade at once. Not sure how I like him, but I'll press on and maybe he'll turn out okay. In some ways this is an experiment in seeing how far I can push color temperature to create contrast, so it doesn't really matter if the end result pushes it too far. Also, it's the first thing I've painted in nine months, so.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 17, 2020

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This is maybe the largest thing I’ve painted. I did a deffskulls stompa years ago that might be bigger. But pics of that seem to have disappeared.

Fyrbrand posted:

I painted a big dumb thing. Also, gently caress barnacles.

Edit: spoke too soon

Fyrbrand posted:

More lighting tests. This time a big mek stompa I converted and painted up a couple years ago.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 14, 2020

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Eej posted:

My first warhams ever!! :toot:

Edge highlighting? Really rough! I gave up halfway mostly because I only have a size 2 brush (still waiting for my 00 and 1 to come in the mail) which made for some awkward painting. Gotta work on brush control. Think I need to work on bringing out more contrast and I'm not sure if I like the colour shift to a sky blue and I'm thinking maybe a deeper blue (and then a white highlight).

Edge highlighting is very difficult if you don't have a small, firm brush! That being said, if a highlight is ever too fat or wobbly you can always go back in with the base color you're highlighting over and tidy it up a bit!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Trying the tesseract paint. Fun to add some color to the palette.

Retributor https://imgur.com/gallery/VNGMPYp

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2020

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Hixson posted:

Working on a little 40k Night Lords CSM force:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The purity seal grunge, excellent.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Looks great!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Looks really great, but hang on I have to put up some blackout curtains and turn my gamma all the way up just to see those photos

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

The purity seal grunge, excellent.

Electric Hobo posted:

Looks great!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Looks really great, but hang on I have to put up some blackout curtains and turn my gamma all the way up just to see those photos

Thanks folks. And dang, really? They look fine on my monitor and phone

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Looks great from here (lighting and paint job)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

Thanks folks. And dang, really? They look fine on my monitor and phone

The photos and minis look fine on my phone, he just needs to turn his monitor on.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Always love seeing your stuff, especially Night Lords!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

Looks great from here (lighting and paint job)

A little dark on both my monitor and phone but the painting job is top notch ! And the lighting adds to the grimdark.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

As always, I appreciate the kind words

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:drat:

On the other end of the Skill Spectrum, finished up Mk 1 of my Death Guard color scheme and basing:

Definitely need to smooth out the white armor. The poor lighting makes the shoulders look much more vibrant than IRL. Don't like the yellow eyes which I said previously.

I thought some kind "walking through Nurgler's Garden" for the base would be cool so I tried to do something like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgotJrDbTw

But I'm not happy at all with how mine came out. Also that briar thing is way too big for 32mm and I'll have to take some clippers to it or something.

Oh well, it was a fun learning experience and it's nice to paint again :unsmith: Now to go prime the next model to experiment with!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sab669 posted:

:drat:

On the other end of the Skill Spectrum, finished up Mk 1 of my Death Guard color scheme and basing:

Definitely need to smooth out the white armor. The poor lighting makes the shoulders look much more vibrant than IRL. Don't like the yellow eyes which I said previously.

I thought some kind "walking through Nurgler's Garden" for the base would be cool so I tried to do something like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgotJrDbTw

But I'm not happy at all with how mine came out. Also that briar thing is way too big for 32mm and I'll have to take some clippers to it or something.

Oh well, it was a fun learning experience and it's nice to paint again :unsmith: Now to go prime the next model to experiment with!

The lichen or whatever actually doesnt look too out of scale to be a briar bush or something. You can trim it down a little if you like, but I think as one guy in a squad it'll look fine. Maybe try hitting it with a wash or something? I like the sickly yellowish tone of the armour too (especially as you say the shoulders are actually down a couple of notches from the picture). Bolter looks good and hosed up too.

But I'm not entirely sold on that basing for him. It could be just the lighting in the photo, or the amount of white around it on the rim and the painting handle, but from that photo it feels like the base is pulling focus a little because its a more lush green than the pale armour. Maybe try working a bit more muddy brown earthtones in there? Either with another wash or some stippling or maybe just painting the base a dark brown then doing the greenery on top of that? Assuming you dont want to go full on "gently caress it, its sci fi, bring on the weird colour plants". I do like the general effect, and I've bookmarked that video to watch later to see how you've got the matted plant matter effect (Mixed herbs maybe?), I just think that green is a bit too... well, green. Again, maybe it works in person and its the lighting in the photo, maybe its just my personal taste.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
In honour of the upcoming multiplayer expansion for Aristeia, I finally finished Full Metal Kozmo:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just five ancient skeleton robot boys hanging out in an empty void...

Fun fact: This is the first squad I've painted in five years.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Finished up painting a cult demagogue/ wasteland raider warband leader for the Blanchitsu gang I made last year. (also hanging out in the void)

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

AndyElusive posted:

Just five ancient skeleton robot boys hanging out in an empty void...

Fun fact: This is the first squad I've painted in five years.

Dang I love these robone bois.

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013

Skails posted:

Finished up painting a cult demagogue/ wasteland raider warband leader for the Blanchitsu gang I made last year. (also hanging out in the void)

These are amazing. What was the base body for this guy?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

My eighth or so model ever painted and my second "big" one. I'm pretty happy with it!

Here's my first "big" one:

I'm also pretty happy with this one but the Broodlord came out better.

If you guys have any tips regarding technique or color scheme I'd love to hear it!

e: accidentally wrote color twice

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 15, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m looking for a recommendation for some female fantasy badasses. I want to paint something for my D&D playing wife, absolutely no titty-armour Red Sonja bullshit, more like the lead character of Dishonoured 2, and the more detailed the better.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Zihuatanejo41 posted:

These are amazing. What was the base body for this guy?

Thanks
The body is from the Bloodstoker in the first AoS starter/ Start Collecting! Bloodbound set. I didn't know it even existed until it was mentioned on an episode of the Stormcast podcast. bought it for his cool whip

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Torquemada posted:

I’m looking for a recommendation for some female fantasy badasses. I want to paint something for my D&D playing wife, absolutely no titty-armour Red Sonja bullshit, more like the lead character of Dishonoured 2, and the more detailed the better.

The main stop for this is goon owned Bad Squiddo.

There's also Reaper which has a good search and :nws:Dark Sword:nws: but you gotta comb through a lot of what you're specifically not looking for to find the good ones.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

PoptartsNinja posted:

I definitely don't have good enough detail brushes for work at mapscale. Just in case anyone was wondering how much of a hex a BattleMech actually occupies.

For reference:

loving way to go dude! This is so much more appealing to me than regular style battletech for some reason

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

All the Warhams tube videos recommend to water down paints, but I gather GW paints are kinda thick. If I'm using Reaper paints, do I still need to water down (as much)?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Just finished up (waiting on my delayed basing supplies order) this 40K objective, probably a Necron thing. It's hard to tell in the photos but the purple I did with 2 coats of naggaroth night on top of black basecoat and then I put Druchii violet shade on top of that, the shade dried very streaky/uneven. I had put the shade on after the edge highlights to tie it together.

Should I have thinned the shade with something like contrast medium? Would I have been better off using naggaroth night thinned down?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If I'm using Reaper paints, do I still need to water down (as much)?

Almost certainly. Pretty much every paint on the market is too thick, by design, for miniatures and that's ok. The only things you really don't need to thin are airbrush paints (if you're applying them by brush,) inks and washes, Contrast, and brush-on primer.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

All the Warhams tube videos recommend to water down paints, but I gather GW paints are kinda thick. If I'm using Reaper paints, do I still need to water down (as much)?

Never not thin your paints.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Reaper comes way thinner than Citadel, but I still thin them - just not as much as other brands.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Reaper also has almost no surface tension.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Torquemada posted:

https://www.oathswornminiatures.co.uk/c/4555399/1/sensible-shoes.html are pretty decent for that. Seconded for Squiddo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Batch painting breachers today. I even drilled out the gun barrels this time but they seemed a little off center. I love seeing them with the rest of the army in the done pile

edit: by batch painting I mean that I got 3 done so far today

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 15, 2020