Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nope. Still there

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges/5500?skuId=550021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would also like to say that if you have the right head shape for it, you can just straight up wear the Harry Potter glasses in the HMD, no 3D printed mount required.

It’s what I do

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Seems like they are small enough, the right shape, and the right price point they should be everyone's first try

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly they should. They’re so cheap as to be disposable and id bet unless you are way out at the edges of head shape/size, they will Just Work™️

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly they should. They’re so cheap as to be disposable and id bet unless you are way out at the edges of head shape/size, they will Just Work™️

And if they don't, you have an extra pair of cheap disposable glasses!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Someone should make a VR LSAIK / lens operation sim so you all can condition yourself pre-op.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrzgN8tbIEA

VR support for Hitman looking pretty good so far

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really curious to see how much a visual boost the PS5 can give the PSVR HMD.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Crossposting from the Steam thread:

Moose Life, the new game from Jeff Minter/Llamasoft (who did Space Giraffe, Polybius, Tempest 2000, etc), is out and it has VR. $6.99 price tag.

It is what you expect from a Jeff Minter joint:

quote:

You play as a rainbow voxel deer battling to rescue tiny sheep from enemy spaceships, but that doesn't really matter. What you're here for is the feeling of zooming into the screen like some cervine Space Harrier, grooving to some tasty bleeps as you shred enemies into lovely colourful bits with a variety of enjoyably destructive powerups. Glowing stags will stream past your ears as you deploy the mighty "Stag Party" weapon that turns entire screensful of enemies into harmless, grateful deer. You'll smile. You might exclaim when a particularly lovely explosion blossoms nearby, or when the trip starts to kick in as you traverse the mushroom-strewn planes. You will feel *lovely*.

quote:

In recent years we have been bringing these experiences to the world of VR too. Head-mounted displays are in everyone's future, and we now make everything we create playable in or out of VR as a matter of course. Immersion via a VR headset makes the mood-enhancing, euphoric nature of our games even more effective.

Moose Life is the latest step on our journey into euphoric trance. Created in the style of an 80s arcade game, but in fully immersive 3D/VR. You'll feel like you are inside the mind of Eugene Jarvis Himself.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

StarkRavingMad posted:

Crossposting from the Steam thread:

Moose Life, the new game from Jeff Minter/Llamasoft (who did Space Giraffe, Polybius, Tempest 2000, etc), is out and it has VR. $6.99 price tag.

It is what you expect from a Jeff Minter joint:

Those screenshots look like a headache waiting to happen.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Wow that Hitman 3 vid got me pretty hyped, not gonna lie. Really hope they don't keep it on playstation.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Parallelwoody posted:

Wow that Hitman 3 vid got me pretty hyped, not gonna lie.

They are definitely saying a lot of the right things, but I'm going to reserve judgement until its out. I'd need convincing that performance is good enough - not that Hitman's performance is terrible, but VR on PS4 is a big ask - and that the UI makes sense and feels good to use. Also if you have to manually aim thrown weapons then it's not Hitman any more. :colbert:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Those screenshots look like a headache waiting to happen.

I assume like most minter stuff it starts making sense after about half an hour, once the acid starts working.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

They are definitely saying a lot of the right things, but I'm going to reserve judgement until its out. I'd need convincing that performance is good enough - not that Hitman's performance is terrible, but VR on PS4 is a big ask - and that the UI makes sense and feels good to use. Also if you have to manually aim thrown weapons then it's not Hitman any more. :colbert:

I directly imagined it would be for PS5 only.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it might be on both, but the version they are advertising is PS5.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Are you sure? The Hitman VR announcement trailer only says PlayStation 4 - albeit in very small print that they might have overlooked - and as far as I know Sony haven't yet confirmed that any PS5 titles will support VR. I might have missed an announcement, though.

Obviously Hitman VR on PS5 would be far more sane, but I know better than to expect that to make any difference to console releases.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 13, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrzgN8tbIEA

VR support for Hitman looking pretty good so far
I really hope this gets a proper PC port. The fact that they haven't said the word "exclusive" gives me some hope that it's just a timed thing where it'll come out first on PSVR but the PC will get it eventually. Annoying but tolerable, I guess.

That said I'm concerned that if/when that happens it still could suffer from limited use of 360 degree/roomscale movement just because it's being designed with a 180 degree platform as a primary target.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

Are you sure? The Hitman VR announcement trailer only says PlayStation 4 - albeit in very small print that they might have overlooked - and as far as I know Sony haven't yet confirmed that any PS5 titles will support VR. I might have missed an announcement, though.

Obviously Hitman VR on PS5 would be far more sane, but I know better than to expect that to make any difference to console releases.

Oh, weird. Wasn't Hitman 3 announced at the PS5 event? Yeah I think the PS4 would struggle with a title that big.

Sony has already said PS5 will support the current headset iirc.

Edit: Yes PS5 supports PSVR, although they haven't said anything on whether or not PS5 games will be designed around it, or what kind of theoretical boost they could get from the new hardware (probably up to the dev)

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 13, 2020

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Okay, two semi-dumb questions:

I've assembled everything to waste time space trucking in Elite Dangerous. I choose the "Launch in SteamVR" option, and it works fine on my Valve Index, but it keeps starting up the Oculus software at the same time. I don't need Oculus anymore since I gave back the dev kit I was using at my old job, so I might as well uninstall it. But I recall some games using the Oculus SDK end up launching the application even when launched through SteamVR, and it seems like shutting down Oculus also causes Elite Dangerous to shut down, so should I just keep it around?

In terms of fit, I'm having trouble getting the Index to stay vertically stable. This isn't a huge deal in games like Beat Saber or Half-Life: Alyx, where there isn't text so precise that I'll need perfectly centered lenses. But for space truck simulator, especially its tutorial prompts which it loves to place top and dead center, text becomes blurry if it's even slightly offset. I've got a big head and I can't tell if it's more stable to keep the support strap short so that the back of the headset is closer to the top of my skull, PS4VR style, or if I should let it get longer so it's more like a headband... Basically, how do I get this thing to be stable for hours long space truckin!?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jan posted:

Okay, two semi-dumb questions:

I've assembled everything to waste time space trucking in Elite Dangerous. I choose the "Launch in SteamVR" option, and it works fine on my Valve Index, but it keeps starting up the Oculus software at the same time. I don't need Oculus anymore since I gave back the dev kit I was using at my old job, so I might as well uninstall it. But I recall some games using the Oculus SDK end up launching the application even when launched through SteamVR, and it seems like shutting down Oculus also causes Elite Dangerous to shut down, so should I just keep it around?

In terms of fit, I'm having trouble getting the Index to stay vertically stable. This isn't a huge deal in games like Beat Saber or Half-Life: Alyx, where there isn't text so precise that I'll need perfectly centered lenses. But for space truck simulator, especially its tutorial prompts which it loves to place top and dead center, text becomes blurry if it's even slightly offset. I've got a big head and I can't tell if it's more stable to keep the support strap short so that the back of the headset is closer to the top of my skull, PS4VR style, or if I should let it get longer so it's more like a headband... Basically, how do I get this thing to be stable for hours long space truckin!?

If you install the Oculus software it'll start up all the time, even when not needed, and yeah closing it could cause confusion for some games maybe.

If you're only playing SteamVR then you can prettly likely just uninstall the thing. If you want to use ReVIVE to play Oculus store games though, then you'll need to keep it installed, and yeah its annoying that it runs all the time even when you don't ask it to but :shrug: such is modern computing.

YMMV but I usually try to keep the headset down low so its like a headband.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'm pretty sure you need to have the oculus software running *and* it has to be connected to the internet

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FB is still working on how to have realistic avatars with only limited information (audio, gaze)
https://research.fb.com/videos/audio-and-gaze-driven-facial-animation-of-codec-avatars/

Vox Machinae talks of a coming update
https://www.roadtovr.com/vox-machinae-vr-mech-co-op-friends-list-future-plans/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Vox Machinae is still listed as early access on oculus store which is just :wtc:

by.a.teammate posted:

I got some nasty scuffs from my glasses, what did you use to repair the lenses?

https://www.amazon.com/Polywatch-Plastic-Lens-Scratch-Remover/dp/B0014R9V9O
I think how it works is the compound has the same refractive index as the plastic lenses so when you buff it in it just fills in the gaps. Wipe the lenses down real good first.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 14, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Vox Machinae is still listed as early access on oculus store which is just :wtc:

/scratches head

uhh it's also listed as Early Access in Steam. Because... it's still a game in EA.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Can I stop the Oculus software from loading the home backdrop? It's a useless resource hog for me when playing via link, and a white void is nice enough for using the desktop in vr . I've seen that Oculus Tray Tools has an option called Oculus Homeless, but that prompts me to modify the oculus exe and I'm not sure if I want to do that...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
quote is not edit

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Kikas posted:

Can I stop the Oculus software from loading the home backdrop? It's a useless resource hog for me when playing via link, and a white void is nice enough for using the desktop in vr . I've seen that Oculus Tray Tools has an option called Oculus Homeless, but that prompts me to modify the oculus exe and I'm not sure if I want to do that...

That's the option you want in OTT. The only problem is that Oculus home comes back everytime the Oculus software gets updated (it overwrites the file(s) that OTT overwrites to remove home) and it only took two updates before I was too lazy to turn it off again.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I don't think home is long for this world anyways.

Having a home space with trophies and souvenirs from games and such is a cute little thing, but sooner or later they're going to want to consolidate the PC(link) side and quest into one. They also have that facebook horizons coming at some point and it would make more sense to just roll it all together so you have a home place in horizons if you want to visit it or have others visit it, whether you're on PC or stand alone.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties

Bhodi posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Polywatch-Plastic-Lens-Scratch-Remover/dp/B0014R9V9O
I think how it works is the compound has the same refractive index as the plastic lenses so when you buff it in it just fills in the gaps. Wipe the lenses down real good first.

Im bit scared I’m gonna make it worse, this easy enough to use ?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The upcoming VR support for IO Interactive’s Hitman 3 looks to be exclusive to PSVR for now, and won’t use the headset’s Move motion controllers.

Lame.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Zaphod42 posted:

If you install the Oculus software it'll start up all the time, even when not needed, and yeah closing it could cause confusion for some games maybe.

If you're only playing SteamVR then you can prettly likely just uninstall the thing. If you want to use ReVIVE to play Oculus store games though, then you'll need to keep it installed, and yeah its annoying that it runs all the time even when you don't ask it to but :shrug: such is modern computing.

Yeah, I thought I wanted to keep it around for Oculus/ReVIVE games, but since I don't have any of those right now, I might as well uninstall it until that changes.

Zaphod42 posted:

YMMV but I usually try to keep the headset down low so its like a headband.

I've been looking around and I think this guy had a similar experience that ended up with custom face plate printing--if I take just the face gasket, I can feel that gap around the top unless I shove it so hard into my face that it's digging on the sides. Guess I have a wide head. :negative:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

:barf:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

by.a.teammate posted:

Im bit scared I’m gonna make it worse, this easy enough to use ?
it's pretty foolproof as long as you follow the instructions about it not being too hot or too cold and you clean the lens first to get all the oils/dirt off and you use a terrycloth or other non-shedding cloth

it's a liquid with the same consistency as the stuff you use to clean glass stovetops or the liquid barkeeper's friend, not quite a paste

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It confuses the poo poo out of me in Audica when I have to hit a sphere anywhere close in time to shooting, it's so hard for me to judge which one is happening first or the rhythm of it. I'm not asking for help I'll get used to it eventually but ugh.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nep-Nep posted:

It confuses the poo poo out of me in Audica when I have to hit a sphere anywhere close in time to shooting, it's so hard for me to judge which one is happening first or the rhythm of it. I'm not asking for help I'll get used to it eventually but ugh.

Tip that was given to me.

Speed up the melee. Stop your brain from thinking and just make it react. I all but forget they are there a lot of times now unless its an interesting melee opposite shot combo thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here’s to hoping that they can score another huge artist like Timbaland and completely blow it by making him make tracks unique to Beat Saber rather than using tracks that people actually know and like

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just about to finish Half Life and I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to do Asgard's Wrath or Lone Echo next. Both look drat good. leaning towards AW for the amount of content.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It really sucks that what should be the coolest part of Half Life Alyx (throwing energy bolts) is utterly loving ruined by some of the worst motion controls I have ever experienced. I dunno if it's an issue with the touch controller compatibility or what, but this part is so bad I want to scream. These things just stick to my hands randomly and I can't throw them sometimes, or they just fly off at a 90 degree angle while I get shotgunned in the face.

For a game that gets so many things right I can't believe how loving bad throwing things in this game is. The grenades too. Just loving awful. I'll lob one just to find it dropping at my feet. It feels so off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

veni veni veni posted:

It really sucks that what should be the coolest part of Half Life Alyx (throwing energy bolts) is utterly loving ruined by some of the worst motion controls I have ever experienced. I dunno if it's an issue with the touch controller compatibility or what, but this part is so bad I want to scream. These things just stick to my hands randomly and I can't throw them sometimes, or they just fly off at a 90 degree angle while I get shotgunned in the face.

For a game that gets so many things right I can't believe how loving bad throwing things in this game is. The grenades too. Just loving awful. I'll lob one just to find it dropping at my feet. It feels so off.

I had issues with this and looked it up before continuing, the game presents it poorly. Don't throw the energy like a ball, throw it like you would energy from your palm like Iron man, or a Hadouken.

Edit: The grenades were just fiddly on the Quest but I attributed that to not having base stations covering all angles.