Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
bald eagles are allies now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A gaming company made a propaganda ad to drum up popular support for its lawsuit against a software company.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

its how the previous lawsuit was won, the court of public opinion got apple to cave

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

vyelkin posted:

bald eagles are allies now

eh, there are already military programs training hawks to take down enemy drones

for some retro shittiest-cyberpunk-dystopia with birds check out Project Pigeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbPG8jSud14

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/superbunnyhop/status/1294235102751404033

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8fK8l_Wa2k

it's real... it's finally real

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The brand wars have begun. How do we make sure it goes nuclear?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

eh, there are already military programs training hawks to take down enemy drones

for some retro shittiest-cyberpunk-dystopia with birds check out Project Pigeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbPG8jSud14

if you want the shittiest cyberpunk dystopia, try out the chicken nuke for size

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Peacock

quote:

One technical problem was that during winter buried objects can get very cold, and it was possible the mine’s electronics would get too cold to work after some days underground. Various methods to get around this were studied, such as wrapping the bombs in insulating blankets. One particularly remarkable proposal suggested that live chickens be included in the mechanism. The chickens would be sealed inside the casing, with a supply of food and water; they would remain alive for a week or so. Their body heat would, it seems, have been sufficient to keep the mine's components at a working temperature.

This proposal was sufficiently outlandish that it was taken as an April Fool's Day joke when the Blue Peacock file was declassified on 1 April 2004. Tom O'Leary, head of education and interpretation at the National Archives, replied to the media that, "It does seem like an April Fool but it most certainly is not. The Civil Service does not do jokes."

nuclear weapons development prior to MAD really becoming big in the mid-60s was loving nuts by today's standards. so many people trying to fit nukes into standard land warfare poo poo. nuclear mines, nuclear artillery, and gently caress, check out this poo poo

https://twitter.com/atomicarchive/status/1284247621096398848

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ghostofjohnbro/status/1293744138173796356

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

if you want the shittiest cyberpunk dystopia, try out the chicken nuke for size

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Peacock

nuclear weapons development prior to MAD really becoming big in the mid-60s was loving nuts by today's standards. so many people trying to fit nukes into standard land warfare poo poo. nuclear mines, nuclear artillery, and gently caress, check out this poo poo

https://twitter.com/atomicarchive/status/1284247621096398848

yeah before the reality sunk in, the military treated nuclear weapons as simply a better explosive, the next step up from conventional explosives, no different from black powder being replaced by cordite and TNT at the end of the 19th century. every weapon would eventually use superior nuclear explosives!!! war would be identical and completely unchanged except that flights of bombers and lines of artillery would be replaced by single bombs and shells delivered with a single vehicle!

edit: the mark 3 "fat man" bomb was mass produced in the late 40s, being replaced shortly afterward by the "GI proofed" mark 4, which redesigned the weapon as something easier and safer to maintain and use in the field. hundreds of fat men were in existence by the time the korean war rolled around and we are honestly lucky that none of them ended up getting used during that war. at the start of the war there was even a shortage of bombers because the US envisioned a much smaller air force delivering nukes, and when someone figured out how dumb that was they pulled planes out of mothballs and disposal sites in a hurry

BattleMaster has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Aug 14, 2020

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

christmas boots posted:

IIRC while they restored brain function there was no activity associated with consciousness so it might be that while some parts can be reactivated in a fairly generous window, once that poo poo is gone it's gone.
They got a few neurons to fire, there was nothing even approaching what we think of as brain activity.

blatman posted:

I kind of wonder what's going on with people, are sociopaths actually super common and getting into the various rungs of business/politics is just a good way for them to let the mask slip, or does capitalism breed sociopaths, or both? I feel like if there were this many evil people back when we were hunter/gatherers we wouldn't have developed societies
You don't need to be a diagnosable sociopath to have sociopathic traits. The difference between them and school shooters is that they realized how much more suffering they could inflict on people with a business degree.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BattleMaster posted:

yeah before the reality sunk in, the military treated nuclear weapons as simply a better explosive, the next step up from conventional explosives, no different from black powder being replaced by cordite and TNT at the end of the 19th century. every weapon would eventually use superior nuclear explosives!!! war would be identical and completely unchanged except that flights of bombers and lines of artillery would be replaced by single bombs and shells delivered with a single vehicle!

idk if it's accurate (and even if it is the moral implications are far from exonerating), but supposedly truman didn't fully grasp what he had green lit for hiroshima bc, following thinking like the above, the choice to use nuclear weapons was originally up to the generals -- after all why would the president want to micromanage what kind of munitions they use in an operation?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chamale posted:

Remember when Teller designed a nuclear bomb that would destroy the entire world and proposed that instead of thousands of warheads, America should just build one of those and threaten people with it? After that he was no longer allowed to design nuclear weapons. I feel like nowadays they'd build that nuke and wire it to go off automatically if the stock market goes down too fast.

Who is teller in this instance?

e: oh I assume Edward. I don't know my eschatactivists lol. What's the story here

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

idk if it's accurate (and even if it is the moral implications are far from exonerating), but supposedly truman didn't fully grasp what he had green lit for hiroshima bc, following thinking like the above, the choice to use nuclear weapons was originally up to the generals -- after all why would the president want to micromanage what kind of munitions they use in an operation?

Nuclear Secrecy has some great articles about this. There wasn't a specific decision to use the bomb, it was considered just another weapon; as soon as the military had an atom bomb, they would use it. But after the bombing of Nagasaki, which Truman did not specifically authorize, Truman decreed that any future uses of nuclear weapons must be ordered by the President.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

after all why would the president want to micromanage what kind of munitions they use in an operation?
When I'm playing Command & Conquer, I like to have options. :shrug:

gently caress EA and gently caress the US, though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tulip posted:

A gaming company made a propaganda ad to drum up popular support for its lawsuit against a software company.

I think I'm kind of on Epic's side here.

Don't get me wrong, they're every bit as lovely as Apple (well, Apple might be worse wrt sweatshop labor) but I think the outcome of Epic winning and dealing a blow to Apple's 30% take has to the potential to be better for smaller developers and consumers than Apple winning and strengthening that. I know that's not why Epic is doing this, but I think maybe they're the lesser evil in this fight.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I am 100% in favor of Apple eating poo poo.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Milo and POTUS posted:

e: oh I assume Edward. I don't know my eschatactivists lol. What's the story here

Yeah, Edward Teller, father of the hydrogen bomb. He drew up plans for a doomsday bomb in the early 1940s and called it the "backyard bomb", because you could set it off in your backyard and kill everyone on Earth. After the Atomic Energy Commission said there was no need to design new types of hydrogen bombs, he proposed a 10-gigaton bomb that would weigh at least 2,000 tonnes. The committee shut down the idea.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BattleMaster posted:

hundreds of fat men were in existence by the time the korean war rolled around and we are honestly lucky that none of them ended up getting used during that war.

They don't let you go to war if you're too fat.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

It's worth remembering that Teller was, by and large, a huge rear end in a top hat, who both threw Oppenheimer under the bus and then advocated for nuking a harbor into existence.

christmas boots posted:

Don't get me wrong, they're every bit as lovely as Apple (well, Apple might be worse wrt sweatshop labor) but I think the outcome of Epic winning and dealing a blow to Apple's 30% take has to the potential to be better for smaller developers and consumers than Apple winning and strengthening that. I know that's not why Epic is doing this, but I think maybe they're the lesser evil in this fight.

Oh yeah definitely. Epic absolutely sucks and this seems like a fairly transparent attempt for Tencent to leverage itself more into the American marketplace, but Apple-Google-Epic is better than just Apple-Google.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Nah, they specifically modified some B-29s for that!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverplate#Silverplate_operational_units

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

christmas boots posted:

They will settle for a nicer cut for themselves and let everybody else pay the 30%

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They will settle for a nicer cut for themselves and let everybody else pay the 30%

That's the most probable outcome sure.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Chomp8645 posted:

Finally a way to spin a lifetime of corpulence into doing praxis, I feel like a liberal on west wing day.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

you know how a lot of the Manhattan Project folks were unhappy with the impact of what they had created, and pushed for nuclear technology to move away from big bombs and toward peaceful applications?

teller was basically the opposite of that. also, he publicly denounced the people who felt that way as Communists, to the point of actively aiding McCarthyist witchhunts against his colleagues

he actively pushed for bigger bombs, and opposed test bans and arms control. was hugely into weapons development for the purposes of owning the Soviets in any way possible. when the Soviets sent up Sputnik, he proposed nuking the moon as a potential space race milestone

dude loving loved Reagan and would supply him with all sorts of wildly optimistic weapon ideas that Reagan would then turn into programs like SDI/Star Wars

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tulip posted:

Oh yeah definitely. Epic absolutely sucks and this seems like a fairly transparent attempt for Tencent to leverage itself more into the American marketplace, but Apple-Google-Epic is better than just Apple-Google.

remember when microsoft got busted for antitrust? lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So if Oppenheimer was despondent at the frankenstein he created, this guy was loving it basically

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Smythe posted:

remember when microsoft got busted for antitrust? lol

that got me a whole second set of msdn windows keys

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

The Bloop posted:

Finally a reliable source of chicken teeth

Safe chicken...it's all in the numbers. Number one, that's teratoma. Number two, that's teratoma.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Milo and POTUS posted:

So if Oppenheimer was despondent at the frankenstein he created, this guy was loving it basically

Oppenheimer: "I am become death, destroyer of worlds..."

Teller: "This is a good start"

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

eSports Chaebol posted:

Safe chicken...it's all in the numbers. Number one, that's teratoma. Number two, that's teratoma.

brb founding a startup to market chicken tumors as fast casual dining apps.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

taqueso posted:

that got me a whole second set of msdn windows keys

oh hell yes brother. gimme that N

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
michaelsoft comps me 9999999999999999 free windows licenses for my nonprofit. apple? dont give me poo poo. gently caress off tim. bitch.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
just imagine what humanity would have done if nukes didn't create an invisible, long-term health problem

we'd have removed mountain ranges and destroyed valleys and turned the sahara into a sea

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
and those would be the peaceful uses. vietnam and iraq would both be a single huge crater

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

teller was only a proponent of nuclear excavation because it was a theoretical way to skirt atmospheric testing bans, so if they were safe atmospheric tests would continue and the one guy who wanted nuclear excavation wouldn't care about using it for that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nuclear excavation was a bad idea because they’re huge groundbursts and that’s pretty much as bad as it gets for fallout creation.

…other than nuking coral reefs. Oops.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

100% guarantee these are going to be insanely easy to hack.

Assassination by bored script kiddie is going to be a thing that happens.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Platystemon posted:

Nuclear excavation was a bad idea because they’re huge groundbursts and that’s pretty much as bad as it gets for fallout creation.

…other than nuking coral reefs. Oops.

that's why teller, being a psycho, was the only one interested in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

dr_rat posted:

100% guarantee these are going to be insanely easy to hack.

Assassination by bored script kiddie is going to be a thing that happens.

Well, it's a human in a costume, so you can only "hack" it with a machete.