Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Consummate Professional posted:

So uh, anyone else thinking about doing the public beta if/when it eventually gets released? I did the phone and iPad one and they seem pretty stable. But I know the watch has no way to fix it outside of an Apple store if it gets hosed.

Apple Store doesn't do anything with Apple Watches except turn them off and on again and send them to a repair depot.

You're almost always better off calling/chatting Apple and setting up the service yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Taima posted:

Hey man you can talk bad about my wife all you want, we're very into that.

I feel like this is the beginning of a fetlife confession. This thread is taking a turn!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

SeANMcBAY posted:

:yeah:

Betas are not worth the headaches. Don’t mess with them unless you’re a dev or it’s on secondary device.

Good point. Time doesn't really exist anymore so that's easy to forget.

I'm looking forward to a new watch model, the battery in my 4 isn't what it used to be.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have had my Apple Watch 5 44mm for a week now and I love it. I just have a question:

The band that came with it is nice but it has already came unclasped twice while I was working at school. I am looking at a new band but I see so many with bumper cases for the watch.

Are bumper cases worth it or does it cause more problems? When I bought the watch, I bought a screen protector to go with it. Unfortunately, it caused interference with the top left of the screen (would not recognize my hitting the area). I returned it and instead got a Luiqipel screen protector which has been working great.

I don’t want to get a bumper case if it 1) is not really worth it or 2) if it is going to cause interference but I do not want to risk the watch if it is known to be fragile when it comes to the casing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I don’t want to get a bumper case if it 1) is not really worth it or 2) if it is going to cause interference but I do not want to risk the watch if it is known to be fragile when it comes to the casing.

This thread seems to agree that cases are heresy and the watch is both indestructible and disposable.

But as far as I’m concerned, if you think you might need one, try it out. I’ve listened to too much advice about not putting my phone in a case and really ended up regretting it. If you have a job like I do that ends up with a lot of impacts maybe it’s worth it. I’d like to be able to sell this thing when it’s time for a new one and getting paint and scratches on it won’t help.

I got a case for my watch that cost about $5 on AliExpress and I’m liking it more than I expected. It looks like a G Shock bezel and doesn’t get in the way but is raised above the screen surface. It also protects the crown and button without making them difficult to use. I doubt the case is very fragile but I’m not as confident in the screen and crown.

Don’t worry about it not looking cool, it’s an Apple Watch :v: if you want something cool, go to the watch thread for advice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have had my Apple Watch 5 44mm for a week now and I love it. I just have a question:

The band that came with it is nice but it has already came unclasped twice while I was working at school. I am looking at a new band but I see so many with bumper cases for the watch.

Are bumper cases worth it or does it cause more problems? When I bought the watch, I bought a screen protector to go with it. Unfortunately, it caused interference with the top left of the screen (would not recognize my hitting the area). I returned it and instead got a Luiqipel screen protector which has been working great.

The only band worth having is a sport loop. And if you don't spend money on more expensive bands or unnecessarily frequent Watch upgrades you can get multiple sport loops in fun and different colors and build a wardrobe. For your wrist. Sport loop.

And Apple Watch cases are like unnecessary screen protectors times a million, don't even waste your time looking at them unless you plan to spend all of your days- idk- like chucking boulders around in a quarry and slamming your body into the rocks and scrabbling around like an animal. Like, I really can't think of a normal use case where a Watch bumper makes any sense. Like do you plan to swim in sand?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think cases look silly, but I can see why people get them. And it just makes it look like a G-Shock, which is fine.

Being a righty and wearing my watch on my right hand, I slam it into doorways, cupboards, everything. It’s why I use a screen protector because I scratch them pretty regularly.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I caught up on the thread recently and it's a funny mix of "lol no idiot you don't need a screen protector/case" and some of these posts sprinkled in there

Ouhei posted:

My S0 aluminum was mint until a month ago when I fell and smacked it hard on a rock while hiking, now it has a small crack at the bottom of the screen and a small scratch in the area (still functions 100% though the water sealing is shot with the crack in the screen). I got it near release and have worn it every day. Replacing it with a S4 Nike + Aluminum since I don't see a reason to pay that much more for the SS.

Camrath posted:

Well this sucks.

I got a 44mm 4 for Christmas. Refurbed, but very nice. Love it.

Except that today the strap decided to open on its own while I was shopping, dropping the watch face down onto a tiled floor. The screen is cracked to poo poo and some of it is blacked out.

This is going to be expensive as gently caress to fix, isn’t it?

No AppleCare, as it was a refurb. :/

Rirse posted:

Is anyone selling screen proctor or such yet for the 4 (44)? I had a 3 for about a month before I accidentally dropped it on the ground during a hot day and the screen cracked. Since I got it at Costco I was able to return it but figured to just get the 4 in a month instead of replacing it.

japtor posted:

In most people’s everyday lives, should be fine.

The caveat is if you have particular work or recreational environments that might put it at risk. Like I go to a rock climbing gym regularly and have found out the walls can scratch sapphire and DLC coatings :downs:. When I climb now I use a case thing with sufficient lip around the screen (mostly cause I’ve cracked a screen due to impact too :suicide:) but no screen protector. I have a few minor scrathes that I don’t really notice or care about.

In any case figure out if you might want one in the first place, then just scour online shops and read reviews for a while. There’s a billion cheap options out there (...albeit nothing really matched what I was looking for).

Ouhei posted:

Might be the angle, but it seems slimmer.

I'm in either way, I have a series 0 and I cracked the bottom of the screen while on vacation so I'm primed for an upgrade.

And like Henrik, if you wear a watch on your dominant hand you're going to smack it into things a lot more. I've hosed up a few nice watches because I'm a lefty and usually wear watches on my left hand. It's cool that the apple watch lets you flip it around.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Everyone will laugh at you if you put a case on your watch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Snowy posted:

I caught up on the thread recently and it's a funny mix of "lol no idiot you don't need a screen protector/case" and some of these posts sprinkled in there

The glass on both the watch and the iPhone has gotten better and stronger in iterative cycles, so the fact that a lot of older models have gone on to fail should be taken in context vs newer models. But yeah- if you drop your phone face down on concrete it might crack. Idk how a screen protector fixes that if it’s the impact that causes the screen to crack. It’s not scratching, it’s cracking.

It’ll just crack behind the screen protector, phones do that all the time.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 9, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok Comboomer posted:

The glass on both the watch and the iPhone has gotten better and stronger in iterative cycles, so the fact that a lot of people’s S0 and launch models have gone on to fail should be taken in context vs newer models.

I’ve hosed up enough iPhone screens not to trust anyone to know if I personally need one at least. Sapphire is great but of course not indestructible, and any other glass Apple uses scratches in my experience.

But like I said my job can be messy. I get paint on me, I get covered in weird crusty dust, and I’m likely to smack my watch into stuff. No it’s no quarry but that really isn’t what it takes to break an Apple product.

I just think it’s silly to assume that there aren’t legit use cases for some kind of protection.

If it weren’t for the health features I’d just keep using my G Shock at work but I’m trying to be good about my heart. And I don’t care how a case looks, you can’t get nerdier than an Apple Watch already is, so that’s fine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

withak posted:

Everyone will laugh at you if you put a case on your watch.

No one will care whatsoever.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you have ever cracked a screen you should get a protector. If you are like me and many other people who have had more than one glass screen for over a decade 24/7 and never damaged it then no you don’t need one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No one will care whatsoever.

They won't say anything to your face but they will still be laughing at you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cowofwar posted:

If you have ever cracked a screen you should get a protector. If you are like me and many other people who have had more than one glass screen for over a decade 24/7 and never damaged it then no you don’t need one.

I don't find your suggestion to be sufficiently partisan and as a result an essay depicting how unintelligent you are will be forthcoming.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A case that made the watch look like a gshock would be kinda cool but I’d only wear it when hiking or other more physical activity.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a case for my watch because I dig my hands into server chassis all the time and was worried about it banging around, but after a couple months I took it off and it’s been completely fine.

I say buy one and try it out, if you don’t like it then toss it. The most you’ll be out is like $5

Also for hiking I bought a $20 Casio watch so I don’t have to worry about breaking or recharging my watch

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

The band that came with it is nice but it has already came unclasped twice while I was working at school.
Is this the sport band one? Just wondering cause I don't think I've heard much (if any?) unclasping complaints with it. Are you tucking the tail back in underneath, or tried the longer one?

Case chat: I'm one of the quoted posts up there. If you're just being paranoid in general you probably don't need it. If you have particular concerns where you're pretty sure it'll be an issue, it might be useful.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I bought screen protectors once I got my second watch. I didn't destroy my first one but I am GREAT at randomly smacking my wrist against something or wearing the watch while doing labor.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have an alum. S3 and I’ve battered it and I’m pretty sure the only scratches are from when I’ve knocked it into concrete pilings. That’s the Achilles’ heel of these things, otherwise I smash it constantly because I’m clumsy af and it’s held up amazingly. Which is frustrating because I never have a (good) reason to upgrade.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
the public WatchOS beta just dropped. Install at your own peril as it cannot be rolled back.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is this the first time they’ve done a public watch beta? I don’t remember any the previous years.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is this the first time they’ve done a public watch beta? I don’t remember any the previous years.

Yes.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Jose Oquendo posted:

the public WatchOS beta just dropped. Install at your own peril as it cannot be rolled back.

This seems like a bad idea unless you absolutely need it for dev work, or do not care what happens to the watch.

Godspeed goons.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This seems like a bad idea unless you absolutely need it for dev work, or do not care what happens to the watch.

Godspeed goons.

Yeah but if you needed that you'd just have used the dev betas. I can't imagine these are a great idea for anybody tbh

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Does autowake only have one alarm at a time? I tried to set multiple alarms but it doesn’t seem like there’s a list of alarms. I hope I’m being oblivious.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have only found it to allow one alarm. I have it set for a 5:30-5:45 wake up time frame and a regular alarm at 5:45

I am more surprised that the regular alarms on the watch do not allow you to repeat them. As a teacher, I use the alarms to remind me when to stop teaching and be ready to switch classes.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just got a warranty replacement for my S5 and paired it. Didn't realize at the time that I was setting it up as a new watch. Is there still a way to restore to the watch backup from before I sent it in? No biggie if that ship has sailed... there's not much for me to "lose" really, outside of a few custom faces I'll have to reconfigure.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When you unpair it, it creates a backup automatically I believe.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I emailed the autowake people and they seem pretty defensive about having alarms only set on the watch. I guess that’s not changing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So what cleaning solution should I soak my sport loops in to get rid of the smell? I've washed the one I wear the most a few times with handsoap and tried them in the sun but they still kinda smell.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Put them in a mesh bag and wash in the washer at 30 degrees C, tumble low. That works well from my experience.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A vinegar dilute or sports detergent will help too. Google the vinegar thing, it's a popular sports clothes fix. I guess baking soda works too.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just got some stink out of running clothes, I washed once with vinegar then again with baking soda, I think that got rid of the full smell spectrum

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Walmart has the S5 40mm for $299
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Watch-Series-5-GPS-40mm-Silver-Aluminum-Case-with-White-Sport-Band-S-M-M-L/594032957?selected=true

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Unless you want the Space Gray. That comes at a $250 premium.

Violator
May 15, 2003

How much free space do people typically have on their watches? I’m showing 4.1 GB used and 597 MB available but only about ~200 MB are being used by app data as shown in the list. This is an S3.

I was thinking of letting PocketCasts load some podcasts onto the watch, but I had a bunch of issues a year or so ago where I couldn’t do software update on the Watch because there wasn’t enough space. There was some sort of bug where I had gigs of music loaded in the Music app but no songs showed up that I could play. I had to reformat and start over to fix it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Violator posted:

How much free space do people typically have on their watches? I’m showing 4.1 GB used and 597 MB available but only about ~200 MB are being used by app data as shown in the list. This is an S3.

I was thinking of letting PocketCasts load some podcasts onto the watch, but I had a bunch of issues a year or so ago where I couldn’t do software update on the Watch because there wasn’t enough space. There was some sort of bug where I had gigs of music loaded in the Music app but no songs showed up that I could play. I had to reformat and start over to fix it.
My S3 is pretty similar; saying 4.1 GB used and 639 MB free. 1.3 GB is apparently my synced music, then 100 MB each for Mail and Activity, I guess. Then the rest of my apps are at about 25 MB or less, so it might hit like 300-350 MB or so in apps plus the music.

I get notifications sometimes that there isn’t enough space to do an update, but then whenever I actually try to go do the update it hasn’t given me any trouble.

Violator
May 15, 2003

fourwood posted:

My S3 is pretty similar; saying 4.1 GB used and 639 MB free. 1.3 GB is apparently my synced music, then 100 MB each for Mail and Activity, I guess. Then the rest of my apps are at about 25 MB or less, so it might hit like 300-350 MB or so in apps plus the music.

I get notifications sometimes that there isn’t enough space to do an update, but then whenever I actually try to go do the update it hasn’t given me any trouble.

drat, that’s super close to mine and I have music sync turned off and that’s listed as blank. I don’t know where my extra space is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I had to clear a bunch of space on my S3 for the most recent update despite it previously having tons of free space, wonder if it's some kind of bug.