Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kraftwerk posted:

I wonder about this too. What are we getting from these video cards that a 500-700 dollar Xbox or PlayStation isn’t giving you?

the game library and likely much higher performance for much higher cost. the same thing PCs always offer over consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Taima posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume you mean 1.4k unless... well... I'm going to have a lot more questions if it's 14k

Nope, 14 thousand, with 3 zeros. I'm a nerd who doesn't spend money on things like "vacations" and "children". Also the whole COVID thing is causing me to spend even less.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

I wonder about this too. What are we getting from these video cards that a 500-700 dollar Xbox or PlayStation isn’t giving you?

playing shooters with a controller is haram

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Follow me here

If 3080 Ti = 3080 “Tie”

Then

ATI = A tie
GTI= G tie

If that holds then

RBI = R-by = Arby’s and Arby’s is the loving worst

I rest my case, you monsters.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

Nope, 14 thousand, with 3 zeros. I'm a nerd who doesn't spend money on things like "vacations" and "children". Also the whole COVID thing is causing me to spend even less.

Get a cat.

If you HAD to spend 10 grand on a gaming PC, how would you be able to spend it?
- Only the case + innards (i.e., excludes monitors and other external peripherals)

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 14, 2020

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Kraftwerk posted:

These video cards specifically? Even with conservative estimates, probably 1440p 144hz to 4K 120hz depending on the card.

PC gaming is always a bigger up front cost that you make up for with cheaper games and a higher quality experience.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I have it on good authority the new Titan will be called the Titan X Maxwell.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

Please just get the 3080 ti and not the titan and give the difference to a charity that plants trees or something instead of some silicon you will never ever use.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

shrike82 posted:

Get a cat.

- Only the case + innards (i.e., excludes monitors and other external peripherals)

....If I had to spend 10 grand on a gaming PC, it's going to be a 4U rackmount case I build a server closet for, and then run a head unit. Whether that's the way Linus does it with Thunderbolt and fiber cables, or actually putting in a fiber network comes secondary, I have an aversion to fan noise these days.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

shrike82 posted:

Get a cat.

Been thinking about getting a doggy, actually! Cats are cool but too destructive. I will pet Satan, but I will not invite him into my home. To be clear, I'm absolutely not planning on spending all of the money on computer stuff. Just saying that I'm in a weird situation where I have an excess of money while imminently faced with a shamelessly overpriced product that I want. I can finally, easily buy the flagship, and it's the flagshippest flagship Nvidia has ever put out, but it still feels so wrong.

If I really wanted to spend 10k on a computer, a large portion would go into storage. An M.2 PCI-e RAID adapter that holds 4x 2TB Evo 970s, and one of those ridiculous 905p Optanes for the system drive. I guess that's still not even half of the budget. Uhhh 256GB of RAM so I can run VMs entirely on a RAM disk?

Inept posted:

Please just get the 3080 ti and not the titan and give the difference to a charity that plants trees or something instead of some silicon you will never ever use.

Even in my current situation I wouldn't consider the Titan. 5% performance gain for 50% more money is just stupid. But 10% for 40% hell yeah now we're talking.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 15, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Just think if you put that 14k into the stock market which only goes up, the stocks that go up into the clouds where they live. On a gilded pathway to the one true fundamentally solid equity, TSLA

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Jensen could come bouncing up on stage and claim nVidia is now in the business of providing a "premium gaming experience" before dropping a $1999 price for the 3080Ti.

"We certainly have more 'modest' options coming soon, but... :jerkbag:"

Sure, they'll get bad press but people will still clamor to buy it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Goon posted:

I have it on good authority the new Titan will be called the Titan X Maxwell.

As in Ghislaine? :tinfoil:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Taima posted:

Just think if you put that 14k into the stock market which only goes up, the stocks that go up into the clouds where they live. On a gilded pathway to the one true fundamentally solid equity, TSLA

That's where I've been putting it. COVID hosed me hard in that regard. I just recently got back into the black.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the question is, do they release the titan before the 3080ti to bait impatient people, or release the 3080ti before the titan so whales end up buying both to always have the best

nvidia has done both orders before, though with turing it was ti first titan later

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Launching with 3090/Titan and 3080, and then the Ti after CP2077 is out might be a way for Nvidia to charge Titan prices for people that want a Ti-level experience for CP.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Since this is all just speculation anyway, what I'd like to see is them condense the naming into 60 70 80 and 90 parts all about 20% performance apart and then refresh in a year with super or ti versions of each with a 10% bump.

e: I really don't care what the name is, I just want whatever card can give me 90ish fps @1440p high rtx settings

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 15, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Since this is all just speculation anyway, what I'd like to see is them condense the naming into 60 70 80 and 90 parts all about 20% performance apart and then refresh in a year with super or ti versions of each with a 10% bump.

e: I really don't care what the name is, I just want whatever card can give me 90ish fps @1440p high rtx settings

I just want them to announce the loving thing so I can spend my bonus on it. I'm in an industry that's making bank on this COVID thing (digital learning) and I want to spend my loving blood money and give my 970 a nice retirement party.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
This is exactly why Nvidia must feel confident about setting prices high specifically as they relate to the high end. The people aiming for these launch cards just haven't really been affected by covid yet. They're riper than they've ever been. Jenson must be loving salivating at the perfect storm approaching here.

The real question is how sales on subsequent cards (3070 and down) do further down the line. As we move down through the pricing layers, people become more affected (demographically speaking). At the same time, the economy is going to continue to get worse, so the market environment for the cards when they debut will be worse. Maybe something to look out for if you're Jenson. But that's tomorrow. Today (soon) he's gonna clean up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Devils Affricate posted:

Please go buy a 13k fidelity mutual fund right now and then you'll have enough to buy a 3080 or w/e. You will be much happier you did that than blow it all on PC gaming.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
When I got my new job last fall right around the 3950X launch I built a $3k PC, basically absurd overkill in every slot. There really isn't much reason to go above that amount unless you just absolutely hate money.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Devils Affricate posted:

Been thinking about getting a doggy, actually! Cats are cool but too destructive.

:roflolmao: Not to try to sway you on pet choices, but I've never had a cat:

(1) Explosively poo poo so badly onto a corner of a rug that the rug needed to be replaced.
(2) Chew a hole in a door while bored.
(3) Eviscerate a couch cushion.
(4) Gnaw on literally everything it could reach.
(5) Eat an entire plate of doughnuts.
(6) Etc.

If you don't get some neurotic / traumatized cat from a shelter and give it a few toys to play with and a scratching post or two, most of them are really very minimally interested in wrecking your poo poo.

Alternately, you can spend $2k on a video card, $10k to add to your retirement account, and $2k on the inevitable vet, toys, and repair bills for whatever pet you get.

Also yeah, seriously, get a pet. Being totally alone while largely locked inside for COVID is terrible for your mental health.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm not so worried about the scratching/chewing/barfing as I am the animal's ability to leap onto things that are high up and render them less high up. Among other things, I've got a projector that's mounted on a horizontally oriented arm to the wall. It's a strong mount, but it's also a heavy projector and so there's clearly a decent amount of torque acting on it already. I'm sure a cat would love to make this its primary lookout spot and constantly misalign the picture/focus, until the inevitable day both cat and projector come crashing to the ground. As long as the animal-generated chaos is confined to the lowest 3 or so feet of my living space, I'm happy. I'm also surrounded by coyotes, so the cat would not be able to go outside under any circumstances, and that would make me feel bad.

Maybe I should just keep saving until I have 75k for one of those Spots from Boston Dynamics.

edit: spoilered because it's all completely off topic

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 15, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Do not loving blow more than 2k at most on a pc

14k in savings, my god, you could do so much with that in the long term

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

We all know the real answer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooLO2xeyJZA

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

2k to buy a PC with a monitor and peripherals is like a 60hz i5 setup no?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

I dunno. The computer I built this year cost $2036.79 in total. I bought a case, PSU, X570 motherboard, Ryzen 3600X, 32GB DDR4 3200, GeForce 2070 Super, 2 nvme drives and a couple SSDs, and a new 27" 144hz Acer freesync monitor. And a few fans, I guess.

I didn't have to buy a keyboard or anything - I've got that kind of thing on hand.

e: Forgot mobo and edited for details.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 15, 2020

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

VelociBacon posted:

No.

2k will get you a Ryzen 3700X, a midrange X570 or B550 motherboard, 32 gigs RAM, a 1TB SSD, an FE 2070 Super, an LG 27GL850 (144hz IPS G-sync 2560x1440), and enough room left in the budget for a decent case, good power supply, acceptable keyboard and mouse, and a grey-market copy of Windows.

Right now, the upcoming AMD and Nvidia launches make it even smarter than usual to hold off buying unless something's forcing your hand, but $2k can buy you a whole lot of computer - and $12k is either a healthy chunk of emergency fund if the economy keeps going to poo poo, or a loving incredible vacation if it comes back.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

No.

2k will get you a Ryzen 3700X, a midrange X570 or B550 motherboard, 32 gigs RAM, a 1TB SSD, an FE 2070 Super, an LG 27GL850 (144hz IPS G-sync 2560x1440), and enough room left in the budget for a decent case, good power supply, acceptable keyboard and mouse, and a grey-market copy of Windows.

An LG 27GL850 is being delivered for me this morning :woop: Some goons recommended it earlier in the thread

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Is that 14k in savings purely discretionary income (after you've met your savings/investment goals already)? Or is it like all your savings? If it's the former then sure, go ahead, open palm slap down whatever Nvidia's charging for the 3090

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
stuff 12k of that under your mattress because the economy is in the process of going tits up and unless you're already so financially secure (i.e. rich as gently caress) that you wouldn't be posting in these dead gay forums anyway, I wouldn't count on anyone being safe from the fallout

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

stuff 12k of that under your mattress because the economy is in the process of going tits up and unless you're already so financially secure (i.e. rich as gently caress) that you wouldn't be posting in these dead gay forums anyway, I wouldn't count on anyone being safe from the fallout

In the UK up to 85k of your savings are protected, surely the US has similar protections in place

Stuffing money in the mattress is kind of a big no-no, it will go down in value because of inflation, you at least want to put it in a savings account so it accrues interest

It's also very hard to sleep on a mattress stuffed with cash

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Makes me think it's a fairly common issue if nvidia was able to come up with a solution quickly like that.

Unfortunately only seems to work for exclusive full screen games, Hearthstone for example is only windowed fullscreen and seems to be rendered on GPU0 and sent through the desktop compositor to GPU1 (from examining the processes). NVidia tells me this isn't intended behaviour so I am expecting an email from an engineer, apparently. Annoyingly I know for sure if I had an AMD and a Nvidia card it wouldn't do the pseudo-SLI shenanigans but what can ya do

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Oh wow, this 27GL850 is so loving nice

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

In the UK up to 85k of your savings are protected, surely the US has similar protections in place

Stuffing money in the mattress is kind of a big no-no, it will go down in value because of inflation, you at least want to put it in a savings account so it accrues interest

It's also very hard to sleep on a mattress stuffed with cash

Yeah, the FDIC insures $200k iirc

Thing is, if it ever gets bad enough for that to kick in, you’re hosed for a myriad of reasons.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
What is this thing I heard about Windows dropping "support" for true fullscreen in games? Because borderless windowed modes suck rear end when you have monitors with different refresh rates and literally anything on the second screen.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Mercrom posted:

What is this thing I heard about Windows dropping "support" for true fullscreen in games? Because borderless windowed modes suck rear end when you have monitors with different refresh rates and literally anything on the second screen.

My understanding is that true fullscreen was dropped with Windows 10, I can tell it's absent in a lot of games but performance doesn't drop like it used to a decade ago. It works differently to how it used to, so there's no apparent performance cost to it.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I've had games be choppy just having a window open in the background on the same monitor. Might just be a g-sync thing.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Mercrom posted:

I've had games be choppy just having a window open in the background on the same monitor. Might just be a g-sync thing.

i havent had this experience using a gsync monitor for games in a tri/quad display setup unless the games lose focus and are designed to limit power in that instance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My understanding is that true fullscreen was dropped with Windows 10, I can tell it's absent in a lot of games but performance doesn't drop like it used to a decade ago. It works differently to how it used to, so there's no apparent performance cost to it.
I believe I heard the same thing, but decided to do a little snooping on google just to be safe: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/
So basically yes, the majority of the time when you select full screen exclusive mode in a game, windows 10 is still running it as a borderless window under the hood. Although windows will still follow the games requested resolution/refresh rate in this mode. I'd say in general the benefits outweigh the performance lost in this mode, I've personally disabled most of the default overlays in windows but on a fresh install with a nvidia GPU whenever you launch a game there is the game bar overaly, the nvidia driver overlay, and one or more store overlays (steam/gog/epic/uplay/etc) and these optimizations may actually improve performance when all these overlays are present. Also games are less likely to crash/freeze when you alt-tab out of one in this mode because it eliminates a potentially sloppy handoff/context switch to DWM. If it doesn't work well with a specific game you can disable it in compatibility settings.

Mercrom posted:

This probably depends on what kind of window it is too. Word processor/file explorer/etc types are probably harmless. But a browser window or video player or even just a "modern" app that hook in to hardware acceleration definitely could cause chop and stutter.

I have experienced issues with stuff on another display causing stutter or just locking the primary display down to 60 Hz before. Anything active on my 60 Hz secondary display would also make my primary display drop to 60 Hz (even outside video games) but this has been almost completely resolved in windows 2004, now it rarely happens and even when it does it doesn't persist for more than a second before resuming at full refresh on the primary.