Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I've been interested in getting a bike fit lately and someone is offering a Specialized BodyGeometry Bikefit services near me. Anyone have any experience with this? The person doing it is a trained physiotherapist so it's not just some bike shop offering it. Reading on it it seems pretty good and the Specialized thing might be mostly a branding thing. I don't think I have any major problems with my fit I'm just curious to get an experts opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I'm planning on buying a new bike, I have it narrowed down to a few options and I'd appreciate y'alls input because I'm dumb.

I'm wanting to buy a gravel bike. I currently have a 21 year old hardtail mountain bike that I used to ride a lot 10 years ago. Because I'm quarantine bored, I've dusted it off and messed with it, and starting riding around my area for exercise. Besides the 10 years of sitting, I now don't have nearly as many accessible mountain bike trails, it's mostly roads, paved paths, and gravel paths, with some single track about a 5 mile ride away. Despite this, I've remembered how much I loved riding, even if I'm chugging up inclines on my old, heavy hardtail.

I've called two local bike shops. One suggested I look at the Kona Rove. They're placing orders for 2021 bikes, and said I can usually get one 6-12 weeks from ordering. I would be looking at the base model Rove ($1199) or the Rove DL ($1599)

The other bike shop said in 2-4 weeks they're going to start getting the new All City Space Horse 2021 model in. The new model supposedly has thru-axles, flat mount brakes, and a 2x10 Tiagra gearset, and maybe other improvements. It will start at $1599.

All bikes have a steel frame, the Roves have 650 wheels, the Space Horse has 700. Rove has a 2x9 Sora, SH is 2x10 Tiagra, and Rove DL is 1x11 SRAM Rival 1. Roves have mech brakes, not sure on the Space Horse (guessing mech also).

I've picked these bikes because they are kind of the flagship brand for the two shops, and these are local, small bike shops that seem rad and I'd like to support them. I'm in Austin, if anyone here has strong opinions about local businesses here.

Are any of these 3 bikes the obvious choice? Is there a different, better choice to consider? Should I just buy whatever looks most rad (space horse) and ride it and be happy?

Edit: I should have stated that the $1600 or so is the upper end of my budget. I could theoretically stretch it a little bit if an extra $1-200 would get me a significantly better bike, but even then it's a bit of a jump from a bike I paid $100 for 10 years ago to spending nearly two grand.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 14, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Korwen posted:

I'm planning on buying a new bike, I have it narrowed down to a few options and I'd appreciate y'alls input because I'm dumb.

I'm wanting to buy a gravel bike. I currently have a 21 year old hardtail mountain bike that I used to ride a lot 10 years ago. Because I'm quarantine bored, I've dusted it off and messed with it, and starting riding around my area for exercise. Besides the 10 years of sitting, I now don't have nearly as many accessible mountain bike trails, it's mostly roads, paved paths, and gravel paths, with some single track about a 5 mile ride away. Despite this, I've remembered how much I loved riding, even if I'm chugging up inclines on my old, heavy hardtail.

I've called two local bike shops. One suggested I look at the Kona Rove. They're placing orders for 2021 bikes, and said I can usually get one 6-12 weeks from ordering. I would be looking at the base model Rove ($1199) or the Rove DL ($1599)

The other bike shop said in 2-4 weeks they're going to start getting the new All City Space Horse 2021 model in. The new model supposedly has thru-axles, flat mount brakes, and a 2x10 Tiagra gearset, and maybe other improvements. It will start at $1599.

All bikes have a steel frame, the Roves have 650 wheels, the Space Horse has 700. Rove has a 2x9 Sora, SH is 2x10 Tiagra, and Rove DL is 1x11 SRAM Rival 1. Roves have mech brakes, not sure on the Space Horse (guessing mech also).

I've picked these bikes because they are kind of the flagship brand for the two shops, and these are local, small bike shops that seem rad and I'd like to support them. I'm in Austin, if anyone here has strong opinions about local businesses here.

Are any of these 3 bikes the obvious choice? Is there a different, better choice to consider? Should I just buy whatever looks most rad (space horse) and ride it and be happy?

If you are considering an All City I would also take a look at the Cosmic Stallion.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Texibus posted:

Nope.
I figured I'd ride it and cycle through the gears and hit the brakes.

Terribly lit, but quite comprehensive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0hEfwWg8vY

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Havana Affair posted:

I've been interested in getting a bike fit lately and someone is offering a Specialized BodyGeometry Bikefit services near me. Anyone have any experience with this? The person doing it is a trained physiotherapist so it's not just some bike shop offering it. Reading on it it seems pretty good and the Specialized thing might be mostly a branding thing. I don't think I have any major problems with my fit I'm just curious to get an experts opinion.

My fit was done through a BG fitter. It was pretty standard. Some basic video analysis (mostly for replay / reviewing stuff that the eyes might have missed), a few asymmetric checks, saddle width, hip and knee angles.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

If you are considering an All City I would also take a look at the Cosmic Stallion.

The Cosmic Stallion does seem awesome, but it is a bit out of my price range unfortunately.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Texibus posted:

Would an older Specialized Stumpjumper for $150 be a decent deal, if it's in good shape?

Yes because if it doesn't work out for you, you can probably sell it overpriced because people overpay for Stumpys.

E) seriously though I'd usually caution that you probably want a rigid frame instead of dealing with old suspension forks, but unless it's literally falling apart $150 for an old Stumpjumper is a good buy

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 14, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Korwen posted:

Edit: I should have stated that the $1600 or so is the upper end of my budget. I could theoretically stretch it a little bit if an extra $1-200 would get me a significantly better bike, but even then it's a bit of a jump from a bike I paid $100 for 10 years ago to spending nearly two grand.

Where would you rank your priority when it comes to "waiting for a better 'value' deal to come in to stock" versus "getting something before the end of the month"?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

bicievino posted:

Where would you rank your priority when it comes to "waiting for a better 'value' deal to come in to stock" versus "getting something before the end of the month"?

I think I could wait until October/November pretty easily, just because it's loving hot right now, and the only time I can ride without considerable risk of heatstroke is the early mornings. But it would be rad to have a bike to ride a lot once the weather gets more bearable in October or thereabouts.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Korwen posted:

I think I could wait until October/November pretty easily, just because it's loving hot right now, and the only time I can ride without considerable risk of heatstroke is the early mornings. But it would be rad to have a bike to ride a lot once the weather gets more bearable in October or thereabouts.

This is one of the best deals going in your price range, but won't be available until end of October: https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-al-blue-shimano-105/

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Are bike deals more common during winter months during non covid times? Just wondering because I'm in one of those climate where we go outside all year round

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Winter is when sales slow and also when next years bikes have been announced and are often on shelves so ya those old bikes gotta go.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

who's riding bikes this weekend?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Not me!

:(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

If I ride this weekend, it'll be 2 consecutive weekends, which'd be a record since quarantine started.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

numberoneposter posted:

Me, I’ve got a hot date with Dicholas in Illinois.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I will be riding bichaels.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i may even shave my legs for the whole "bike racer" experience that i vaguely remember something about

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

numberoneposter posted:

I plan on riding both days this weekend, just like every other weekend from late spring through the fall.

Bike every day off and at least twice during the week.

Ride bikes.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BeastPussy posted:

Ride bikes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

i may even shave my legs for the whole "bike racer" experience that i vaguely remember something about

My leg hairs are very short so probably not very aero. Guess I have to shave tonight

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

My leg hairs are very short so probably not very aero. Guess I have to shave tonight

:same:

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

I will be dragging my aforementioned old-rear end bike through 10-12 miles of roads, gravel, and easy single track and back tomorrow morning for the third week in a row. I can't wait until it's cool enough to ride in the afternoons.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Korwen posted:

I will be dragging my aforementioned old-rear end bike through 10-12 miles of roads, gravel, and easy single track and back tomorrow morning for the third week in a row. I can't wait until it's cool enough to ride in the afternoons.

Take pics and trip report.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Agreed, show & tell us about it

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I had a ride I did not enjoy today and it killed my desire to ride during the weekend. To cheer myself up I might go for a bike ride tomorrow.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Texibus posted:

Need a recommendation on a bike for a man who wants to roll around Seattle casually for fitness. Wouldn't hate just some standard good bikes to look for secondhand, the budget is probably only around $500 bucks.

I was in your position back in February, what I did was to check the Recycled Cycles Facebook page list of used bikes in stock twice a week for several weeks, maybe a month or a bit less, waiting to see until they had something in my size that I liked, then hopped on it. I appreciated getting it from a relatively trustworthy shop rather than a craigslist dude or something, and it turned out great. I'm sure their stock is down now like everyone else's but at least pre-COVID their turnover was pretty high, with new stuff coming in all the time.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

I had been feeling pretty poo poo after getting rabies shots three of the last four days, but by this evening I was feeling pretty ace, so I went out for a relaxed 22 miles. I fully intend to ride both days this weekend, rain or shine. My informal goal is 100 miles each week but with the muscle soreness I'm only at 27 so far. I doubt I'll hit 100 this week with a newborn but I'm gonna take an honest crack at it.

moctopus posted:

I had a ride I did not enjoy today and it killed my desire to ride during the weekend. To cheer myself up I might go for a bike ride tomorrow.

This is definitely the right answer.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Trying to figure out what to do with my next 4 days. This movemt challenge thing is still going, and even though I've "finished," there's a team competition for the most vert plus the individual things to see who's going to ride the farthest and most elevation. Today I appear to have moved back into 2nd in the climbing one and have been going back and forth for the lead in distance. I'm starting to wish for the end, which isn't until sept 4th.

Have had a few fairly lovely days recently. One where it was really hot and I was doing hill repeats on this steep rear end dirt road up a mountain at the ski hill. I just quit that ride early and went to a brewery. Got out for an evening ride once it cooled down and hit my climbing goal for that day. Then I had a pretty hard crash on the mtb when i clipped a tree with my hand. Hand is mostly better now, helmet broke but head is fine. Tweaked my back somehow Monday night and that's been bugging me a bit. Tuesday I could barely bend over to get my shoes on and sitting on a bike and pedaling was a little unpleasant. kept it light. easy pedaling, only 2500ft of climbing. Heat pad, ibuprofin, and some stretching the last day or two and I'm feeling most better. Wednesday I got off work early and went out on my brand new mtb only to have the rear brake stop working. Thankfully that got fixed right away and I was able to get back out there, but it made for a few days where I was frustrated and just wanted to stop riding. In addition to all that I'm just pretty tired and sore all the time. Barely keeping saddle sores at bay but thankfully I got like 4 new pairs of bib shorts this year and have my bike fits and saddles pretty well figured out. Stuff my face constantly and have lost almost 10lbs. Doing my best to avoid ever pedaling too hard.

My riding stats since this thing started are getting pretty silly. Pretty much double my normal riding and I normally ride kind of a lot. General goal every week is close to 400mi, over 40k feet of climbing. Last week was 431mi, 34hrs, 46500ft. On days I work I basically just go do hill repeats until dark. Or after dark. Then go home, eat, shower, try to get as much sleep as possible for doing it again. Shorter days are only going to make this harder and I think it's just going to be road bike up the same couple of streets on one end of town where I can climb like 800ft and come back down in under 20min. I did this monday and it was good for 5300ft. Prob going to have to do that same ride 3-4 days in a row next week.

On the plus side, I haven't blown up yet and think I can manage this for a couple more weeks. There is some prize money on the line in the team competition so I need to keep it going for that, and then mostly to just see it through since I've come this far. Haven't taken any days off (that 2500ft day was the closest) and don't plan on it until this is done.

Here's a picture from tonight

Just did two 7k days in a row and need to do a couple more so I kept it fairly casual. Gravel loop plus a few paved climbs for 4k. Wanted to stop for ice cream but it was getting late.

and what else I've been up to

https://www.strava.com/athletes/157724

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 15, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can anyone ID this stem?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

numberoneposter posted:

100 miles indoors on Zwift tomorrow morning. Raising money for a good cause though, so please swing by the livestream and give if y'all can.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I am closing in on 6 months riding every day. Just a couple weeks to go. Never stop.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

I’m riding bikes this weekend, and I also rode bikes last weekend – a 200 km socially distanced brevet (max 50 participants, only digital check-ins at checkpoints). I made it extra socially distanced by arriving really late to the start and consequently never laid eyes on any other participants. I also had to pedal a bit harder for the first half to make the cut-off times since I'm very, very slow.

The first checkpoint was manned, a cosy little café right by the sea where I was served a much-needed coffee and a beetroot bread with goat cheese and honey. Had a nice chat with the attendant who told me the rest of the field were about 40 minutes ahead of me, then powered on.

For the next 60 km I had a tailwind and made up a lot of lost time, which put me in a more relaxed frame of mind and I could begin enjoying the surroundings. We’re basically in the middle of nowhere here and the route wound through farmland and forests and along a few rivers. It was beautiful and somewhat hilly. It was also the hottest day of the week (27 °C) and humid, and as the day wore on I began to feel it.

The route was pretty easy overall, with the exception of one monster hill in the first half and a section towards the very end where you’d reach the crest of one hill only to spot another up ahead, over and over. I ran out of water somewhere around 145 km and for a while I was eyeing every ditch, stream and pond, weighing the desire to satisfy my thirst now against potentially explosive diarrhoea later. Luckily, there was a café at 160 km in, right in the middle of nowhere, where I could refill my bottle.

On the whole, it was a great experience. Everyone I interacted with were super friendly, the weather was beautiful (just too hot), and the route was varied and pretty. Traffic was light and most people respectful, the one exception being a gaggle of teenagers in a doodlebug tractor who overtook me twice (they had to stop for a piss break after the first pass). Both times they passed me way too close so the kid riding shotgun could hold a beer can out the window and crack it open right next to my head as they passed me, which I guess passes for the height of comedy in rural Sweden.

The main change I would make for the next time is figure out a way to carry more water. My frame is just a bit too small to mount two bottles and I’m not too keen on the idea of riding with a hydration backpack.

I’m bad at stopping for pictures, but here's a river and a typical forest road:

And the Strava link: https://www.strava.com/activities/3884288525

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Nice pics and that sounds like a good ride.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Korwen posted:

Personally I’d go for the Rove DL! I think it’s worth paying a little extra for the 1x11, and it comes with TRP Spyres which are better brakes than the Tektros on the base Rove. Plus I really dig that color scheme!

The Space Horse would be a great choice too. My advice generally when people are on the fence between two bikes that are similar is to go with the one you like looking at the most, you’re more likely to ride it if you love it!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm wearing way too much orange and look obnoxious today. It's time to ride bikes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there a good choice for tubes if the primary criterion is "valve stems which are extremely durable"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is there a good choice for tubes if the primary criterion is "valve stems which are extremely durable"

Valve stems or valve cores?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Can’t say I have ever had issues with continental tubes and their presta valve cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
if you're ordering and you need presta try to get tubes tha have removable valve cores. Tubes are becoming very hard to come by and you don't want to have to sacrifice one just because you snapped the end of the valve off.