Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

No.1 Special posted:

Just a heads up. The first 5 episodes of Infinity Train: Book 3 are available on HBO Max if you have it. Looks to be intense this time.

Yeah dang, the betrayal/murder of Tuba was pretty brutal for a kids show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah. Just dang. Also Speculation: So Hazel is either actually a denizen meant for Grace crafted to look like a person or Hazel is some sort of strange hybrid

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Red Bones posted:

I want to see the avatar TV show with a sixties budget. No more than five actors on screen at once, film the entire thing in quarries. What do you need cgi for? Fire, water, earth and air are all real anyway. Just do a shot of katara doing karate moves and cut to a shot of someone throwing a bucket full of water on an extra. One matte painting per episode. It worked for star trek.

I remember the group earthbending scene from The Last Airbender. That's enough.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Rudoku posted:

I remember the group earthbending scene from The Last Airbender. That's enough.

The best part about this is that for the attract mode when you hover over the movie on Netflix, that scene is what immediately starts playing, and I refuse to believe that the person in charge of that stuff didn't know exactly what they were doing.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
New Infinity Train questions:

We were only able to finish the first three episodes tonight, but Grace and Simon are monsters right? The way they talk to the little jungle girl makes my skin crawl and I'm terrified about what they're going to do with Tuba. I feel like the show is trying to make me care about Grace, but I find her horrifying and irredeemable.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Infinity Train S03E01-E02 spoilers: Yeah, she talks like a cult leader trying to convince someone to leave her family, all right

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 14, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Yeah dang, the betrayal/murder of Tuba was pretty brutal for a kids show.

For real, drat. I figured Simon would LONG LIVE THE KING Tuba right then, but I figured we wouldn't see it clearly so that maybe Tuba could make a dramatic return, but man, she was headed straight for that tread, and we've seen what those treads can do from season 2.

I do like that the show still has a sense of humor even as it gets more and more serious. The bear in episode 4 killed me.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 14, 2020

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Cattail Prophet posted:

The best part about this is that for the attract mode when you hover over the movie on Netflix, that scene is what immediately starts playing, and I refuse to believe that the person in charge of that stuff didn't know exactly what they were doing.

I 1000% believe that whoever was responsible for that pitched it as "if people see the dumbest moment, they'll get curious enough to hatewatch the whole thing" and got more views

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
lmao
https://twitter.com/aangvengers/status/1294092832085544963

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Fandomwire is, like every website that uses fandom in its name, not trustworthy and prone to make poo poo up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah executive meddling can be bad but I severely doubt it could be that bad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Would not be surprised if Netflix at best had to be repeatedly told why they can't just cast a bunch of white people.

Actually none of that seems too surprising if they think they can turn it into the new Game of Thrones.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

TwoPair posted:

For real, drat. I figured Simon would LONG LIVE THE KING Tuba right then, but I figured we wouldn't see it clearly so that maybe Tuba could make a dramatic return, but man, she was headed straight for that tread, and we've seen what those treads can do from season 2.

Hell, I was expecting Simon to at least follow Scar's example and be like "I totally did my best to save her, but she slipped and fell, honest!". But nope...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

Hell, I was expecting Simon to at least follow Scar's example and be like "I totally did my best to save her, but she slipped and fell, honest!". But nope...

Simon's never shown the ability to be outwardly duplicitous and it made sense for him to not hide it at all.

These five episodes have definitely given the audience some interesting nuggets on the backgrounds of our two Apex heads. Grace obviously came onto the train to deal with her parents' perfectionism in dance and how it isolated her. Her bonding with Hazel running her number down was indicative of her beginning to fully accept and bond with others. It's not clear why Simon came on the train yet, but obviously his abandonment by the Cat (which she obviously regrets) pushed him into his full blown hatred of the Train Denizens. He may have already had preexisting abandonment issues which were exacerbated by it but that's not been shown.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hearing about what happened with the Netflix TLA thing is bad, but didn't the creators say they were burnt out on anything Avatar (TLA or Korra) related a while back?

also, regarding the possibility of a season 4 before the movie somehow messed that up, i dunno how much of a good idea that would have been. there were still some loose ends to be sure (zuko reuniting with his mom being the most obvious one), but season 3 ended on a pretty great high note, and it completed the main goal of the series: aang mastering all 4 elements and defeating the fire lord. how do you top something like that?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, and it’d probably be hard to come up with an entire season of post-climax adventures still on par with what preceded it. And who knows if Korra was even an idea for them at that point?

Avatar was so fondly remembered because it knew when to end.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If Avatar had come out 4 years earlier, it would've gone 4 seasons without ever really making any progress in the war. They would've hit the Southern Water Tribe by like episode 9 and then after that, it'd just be increasingly disconnected episodes where they're looking for some way to triumph against the Fire Nation that is each a nice little independent story, but doesn't add to some greater whole.

Then after the show had died off and most people involved moved on, they'd make a new season with a wildly different tone to finish up the story.

I think it's really impressive that they managed to make a show with a longform plot in a way that was a real experimental triumph to show that there was a market for cartoons like that. It's a shame that the network producing it didn't really learn anything from that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I still find it incredible that all 3 seasons are supposed to happen in less than a year.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
There was a time when I would have been incredibly excited to see Korra on Netflix. But, over the last five years, I've really soured on it. While I believe that a large part of it is that Bolin and Mako being terrible characters, it's also true that I simply cannot ignore its politics. This video series does a really good job of explaining things, though I disagree with part of their interpretation of Book 4.
TLDR: Korra is peak liberalism.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There was a time when I would have been incredibly excited to see Korra on Netflix. But, over the last five years, I've really soured on it. While I believe that a large part of it is that Bolin and Mako being terrible characters, it's also true that I simply cannot ignore its politics. This video series does a really good job of explaining things, though I disagree with part of their interpretation of Book 4.
TLDR: Korra is peak liberalism.

The video and these comments put into words everything that seemed "off" about the first book.

The posted:

Korra just presents the "Communists want to make taller basketballers shorter to make everyone equal" argument, but with bending instead.
and

AtomicBananaPress posted:

Harrison Bergeron for the neolibs.

When fictional universes with superpowers or which place tons of emphasis on "natural talents" do this, it's difficult to see this kind of intended metaphor because of differences between people in terms of natural ability being far and few between compared to differences which wealth enable. My brain just kind of starts to tune it out as making as little sense as the idea of superpowers in the first place

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the two latter seasons of korra are still good and the first two were never good

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

galenanorth posted:

The video and these comments put into words everything that seemed "off" about the first book.

and

When fictional universes with superpowers or which place tons of emphasis on "natural talents" do this, it's difficult to see this kind of intended metaphor because of differences between people in terms of natural ability being far and few between compared to differences which wealth enable. My brain just kind of starts to tune it out as making as little sense as the idea of superpowers in the first place

I have thought for eight goddamn years now that an amazing twist would have been that Amon absolutely was given energybending by the spirits, but he was supposed to use it to give everyone bending, and he did the opposite because of his own personal trauma.

Arist posted:

the two latter seasons of korra are still good and the first two were never good

People liked the Avatar Wan story when it came out but the Book 2 video of that series makes a pretty damning case against it.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 15, 2020

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The Wan story is neat as a standalone thing, but then you start to think about it as part of the larger whole for a few seconds and realize that it retcons basically all the lore surrounding bending from the original series, and it starts to leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I liked how the "my personal trauma was caused by A FIREBENDER" was so prevalent in Book 1 of Korra that it became a running joke among fans that "A. Firebender" was the secret real villain.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Legend of Korra put out a lot of questions that it had a good answer for, which felt really bad. I don't think it intended to do that as some kind of statement that institutional change is impossible and grievance against the status quo are irrelevant or whatever, but since they wrote every season like it was the last one, they wrapped up the narrative in less time that it needed to be addressed and couldn't backtrack to readdress the things that they didn't have time for the first time around.

Season 3 is basically a comicbook supervillain plot with an X-Men subplot, and then season 4 is more of a sentai thing against a singular evil overlord. They're more coherent, but they don't really feel good enough to change my feelings on the series.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
To put a finer point on it: the concept of the Four Nations is essential to the world of Avatar, and any story in that world that attempts to apply modern sociopolitical thought to such a world is doomed to unfortunate implications at best from the outset.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know about that, but the reason the third and fourth seasons are good is because the writing is good and the characters work, not because they suddenly master the sociopolitical implications or whatever

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

I don't know about that, but the reason the third and fourth seasons are good is because the writing is good and the characters work, not because they suddenly master the sociopolitical implications or whatever

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that Mako and Bolin are never good.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

though I disagree with part of their interpretation of Book 4.
Yeah, I can't believe that they would write, consciously or unconsciously, Kuvira as a nazi as seen by a nazi propagandist.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

People liked the Avatar Wan story when it came out but the Book 2 video of that series makes a pretty damning case against it.
It's still amusing how poo poo a villain Unalaq actually was that the video centered on his season doesn't really go into his own belief but rather goes on a tangent about colonialism.

Another critique of Beginnings that I find really good :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1_SDy1nlbM

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think it intended to do that as some kind of statement that institutional change is impossible and grievance against the status quo are irrelevant or whatever, but since they wrote every season like it was the last one, they wrapped up the narrative in less time that it needed to be addressed and couldn't backtrack to readdress the things that they didn't have time for the first time around.
Mocking or dismissing the politics of the series is such a common thing among the fans that you really can't judge whether someone enjoyed the series or not based on their opinion on this particular aspect. I mean, even if the above series looks at it through a very leftist lens, the "resolution" of the non-benders' plight through the election of a non-bending president is universally derided and you will find very little defenders of how the civil war in season 2 was handled.

Frankly, I don't think the authors very much cared about exploring those political themes, hence why the villains are stereotypes like the hypocritical communist or the anti-christ or the bomb-throwing anarchist or the technologically superior fascist.

Arist posted:

Yeah, it's obvious that the creators didn't really care about the "politics" of their characters or their universe, hence why it can be so frustrating.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cattail Prophet posted:

The Wan story is neat as a standalone thing, but then you start to think about it as part of the larger whole for a few seconds and realize that it retcons basically all the lore surrounding bending from the original series, and it starts to leave a sour taste in your mouth.

Honestly I see no issue with that since Wan's story must have happened a ludicrously long time ago considering most Avatars seem to live at least a century(heck didn't Kyoshi live to be 200 or something?) and we seem to have at least a hundred or so Avatars between Wan and Aang(probably several times that honestly), so more than enough time for things to have gotten blurred by myth and legend

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that Mako and Bolin are never good.
mako's fine. he's a dork

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Both of Mako's girlfriends figured out that they would rather be together than be with him.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that's also fine

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

He's also a cop

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
tbf he was a very bad cop.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

OTOH, he was the best Lin could come up with to guard the prince in S4.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

X_Toad posted:

Yeah, it's obvious that the creators didn't really care about the "politics" of their characters or their universe, hence why it can be so frustrating.
But what's crazy is that the politics of the A:TLA are pretty loving radical, all things considered, saying straight up that colonialism is genocide and that the idea of a military spreading prosperity is a horrible lie used to indoctrinate children of imperialist nations.
In conclusion, Bryke is a land of contrasts.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Even as a kid, I knew that Zuko’s aside about how the Fire Nation internally justified the war to themselves was analogous to the U.S.’ invasions and broader international imperialism.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But what's crazy is that the politics of the A:TLA are pretty loving radical, all things considered, saying straight up that colonialism is genocide and that the idea of a military spreading prosperity is a horrible lie used to indoctrinate children of imperialist nations.
In conclusion, Bryke is a land of contrasts.

Eh, I dunno about that. Colonization is what the Fire Nation was doing to the Earth Kingdom, and that was harsh, but not genocide. They genocided the Air Nomads because they wanted to genocide the Air Nomads, and they definitely didn't colonize the temples when they were done. They left them empty. An even weirder situation is the Southern Water Tribe where they could've easily established dominion whenever they wanted to, but just settled for killing off all the waterbenders.

Outside of that, saying that imperialism is bad is very radical for the 19th century, but not very much in the 21st, even if 9/11 seemed to move the Overton window. I feel like it was fairly common knowledge even when I was in middle school that the Iraq and Afghanistan wars were justified by total lies. The Fire Nation was much more explicitly Britain and Japan and Imperial Japan's tendency to aesthetically copy Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ATLA dives deep into the details of it for the better, but ultimately its stance is "war is bad", so that's a kinda easy take to have.