Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nucleic Acids posted:

Can someone please explain why I should ever support this loving party ever again?

The guy they tried to stitch up can still win to be their candidate so I'm sure he'd appreciate your support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Nucleic Acids posted:

Can someone please explain why I should ever support this loving party ever again?

Look now isnt the time to talk about school shootings the democrats problems. We have to put them in the most powerful office in the world and just hope for the best.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
You shouldn't. Libs are Reagan Republicans.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Nucleic Acids posted:

Because otherwise you’d have to support the candidate who has been accused of sexual assault, actively supported segregation and praised out right racists, and whose party in the immediate past has utilized administrative control to suppress voters on a massive scale to platform their preferred candidate.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Danger posted:

Because otherwise you’d have to support the candidate who has been accused of sexual assault, actively supported segregation and praised out right racists, and whose party in the immediate past has utilized administrative control to suppress voters on a massive scale to platform their preferred candidate.

lol gently caress this rotten-rear end country, our hyper evil empire can’t fall quickly enough.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nucleic Acids posted:

well I mean, if you don't then you could wind up with some kinda gay hating organization in charge, you know, the kind that start a completely false rumor about how predatory a gay man is just to punish him for wanting to unseat a regressive rear end in a top hat.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

This thread is an excellent demonstration of why Republicans win. They focus on winning first and foremost and after they win they figure out what they want to do with power. Meanwhile the liberals and leftists tear each other apart about whether or not [insert candidate here] represents ~meaningful change~. The Republican base, for as stupid and vile as it is, realize that primaries are where to hash out ideological purity arguments and the general is where to fall in line because even a Republican they don't like is more appetizing to them than anyone else. This also why establishment groups like DNC don't give a poo poo about progressives, its an unreliable demographic and only show up if the stars align right.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vernii posted:

This thread is an excellent demonstration of why Republicans win. They focus on winning first and foremost and after they win they figure out what they want to do with power. Meanwhile the liberals and leftists tear each other apart about whether or not [insert candidate here] represents ~meaningful change~. The Republican base, for as stupid and vile as it is, realize that primaries are where to hash out ideological purity arguments and the general is where to fall in line because even a Republican they don't like is more appetizing to them than anyone else. This also why establishment groups like DNC don't give a poo poo about progressives, its an unreliable demographic and only show up if the stars align right.

they win because they give their voters what they want you goon, the dems are currently actively fighting things their voters want.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

sexpig by night posted:

they win because they give their voters what they want you goon, the dems are currently actively fighting things their voters want.

Biden is going to lose and it's our fault for believing in things, not Joe's fault for being a feckless loser who hates his constituency. Even if the Democrat is actively hostile to everything you believe in, so long as they aren't as hostile as the Republican you're being a loony leftist for not supporting them. This is why the Democrats don't support progressive policies, btw, and not because of their massive financial entanglements with all of the most exploitative facets of our society. That's just a coincidence, and it's all actually your fault for being rude on twitter.

Edit: I sent a mean tweet to Dianne Feinstein the other day, I think that's why she doesn't support M4A.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Danger posted:

Do you mean Biden or Trump?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nucleic Acids posted:

I suggest reading the article.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
The Republicans are also easier to please, literally today a comment on a friend's Facebook status read: "I'm voting Trump to keep America from being like San Francisco!". There's not may Republican political objectives that aren't accomplished with sufficient violence.

Liberal and Left policy have more complex requirements, to say the least.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Do you mean Biden or Trump?

:thejoke:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

TwoQuestions posted:

Not really. Just need to do "listen to" and you're all set. You're talking about a party that'd prefer a Republican immigrant killer to a single concession to the left.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Quick question: I see lots of complaints on twitter about why the dems aren't trying to stop the sabotage of the post office, but it seems to me they are? They introduced a bill to stop the sabotage, but any bills are, as I understand it, DOA because Mitch won't bring up any of them in the senate, right?

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/12/house-democrats-introduce-urgent-bill-end-deliberate-sabotage-postal-service

So aside from whipping up public opinion (which they are), what else can they do?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much nothing.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Nothing. It’s exactly why Dems are hosed. Literally nothing anyone can do.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

TwoQuestions posted:

The Republicans are also easier to please, literally today a comment on a friend's Facebook status read: "I'm voting Trump to keep America from being like San Francisco!". There's not may Republican political objectives that aren't accomplished with sufficient violence.

I'd like to challenge this idea. A lot of popular leftist policy actually seems way easier to implement and sell than we tend to think it is. Hell drat near all of the big headline grabbers involve us not doing things we currently should not be doing. Remove the age qualification from medicare. Deschedule marijuana. Stop throwing buckets of money, guns, and tanks at cops (unless maybe we literally propel them at them via trebuchet). This only gets complicated if you throw "BuT HoW dO yOu PaY fOr iT??" into the mix, but that is a different question altogether. And given that one never asks that when we try to do terrible things, I find it hard to believe anybody actually cares about how we pay for poo poo at the national level.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

CelestialScribe posted:

Nothing. It’s exactly why Dems are hosed. Literally nothing anyone can do.

It's really not quite the 100% guaranteed deathblow to all hope and goodness in the world that you're making it out to be. There's still plenty of time for actions to be taken, for the public to demand it, and ultimately people will go vote in person if they hear often enough that Trump is destroying the Postal Service to rig the election.

It's bad and scary, but we are not doomed.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

McCloud posted:

Quick question: I see lots of complaints on twitter about why the dems aren't trying to stop the sabotage of the post office, but it seems to me they are? They introduced a bill to stop the sabotage, but any bills are, as I understand it, DOA because Mitch won't bring up any of them in the senate, right?

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/12/house-democrats-introduce-urgent-bill-end-deliberate-sabotage-postal-service

So aside from whipping up public opinion (which they are), what else can they do?

I mean I guess they could all just go to Mitch's house and just walk into him and press him against a wall until he cries. A friend of mine dealt with a bully in grade school this way and it was really effective.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

How are u posted:

It's really not quite the 100% guaranteed deathblow to all hope and goodness in the world that you're making it out to be. There's still plenty of time for actions to be taken, for the public to demand it, and ultimately people will go vote in person if they hear often enough that Trump is destroying the Postal Service to rig the election.

It's bad and scary, but we are not doomed.

lol okay

What action do you think could be taken? Please be as explicit as possible.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Vernii posted:

I'm glad ~meaningful change~ is what you think is up for debate here when the party decided South Carolina is where the primary ends and they picked a candidate who has openly stated "nothing will fundamentally change" on the record to the people who fund his campaign.

No, I'm not going to vote for a credibly accused rapist who thinks fracking has a place on our boiling planet and personally shaped the crime bill that has ravaged this country for decades. The primary you hold so dear as discovery time was a farce. It's got very little to do with me being "unreliable".

They don't give a poo poo about progressives and it's because brow-beaters like you will always toe the line and accept whatever relative privation fallacy is up for vote this year. This thread is an excellent example of that phenomenon.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Im sorry for not wanting enough change but the post office is under attack during a pandemic.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah what was the reason before? I've watched people squash and dismiss Biden's credible rape allegation for months before Trump gave you a new emergency to fuss about. Plenty of people contorted themselves in knots in this very forum to defend migrant child kennels before Trump was attacking the post office, the most egregious self own he's committed in his entire presidency.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vernii posted:

This also why establishment groups like DNC don't give a poo poo about progressives, its an unreliable demographic and only show up if the stars align right.

This is the same bullshit we've been hearing throughout the primary and into the general. I've said this many times before and will continue to say it: if you give people a reason to vote for you, they will. If not, they won't. That's not because a particular demographic is "unreliable"; it's because they have standards.

If a party always knows they have your vote no matter what they throw at you, there's no motivation for them to ever change. If all you have is your vote, then that's leverage you can use to effect real change; not mind numbing "back to brunch and stop being forced to think about politics".

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
So to summarise the discourse within the thread you have four (4) options avaliable in the upcoming elections

1) Vote demented orange rapist (R) - America explodes
2) Vote demented white rapist (D) - America slowly dies of blood poisoning because *~* not enough change *~*
3) Waste Vote for 3rd party candidate
4) Edgelord not vote - poo poo on your keyboard for all the good it will do

Im amazed that the thread hasn't just devolved into nihilistic poo poo-posting because as a NZ poster I can 100% categorically confirm these are all poo poo options and you all should move.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

It's kinda difficult to move.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zanziabar posted:

So to summarise the discourse within the thread you have four (4) options avaliable in the upcoming elections

2) Vote demented white rapist (D) - America slowly dies of blood poisoning because *~* not enough change *~*

Im amazed that the thread hasn't just devolved into nihilistic poo poo-posting because as a NZ poster I can 100% categorically confirm these are all poo poo options and you all should move.
I live in loving Florida, the entire state is a bio-hazard, other states won't even take me, much less other countries

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I voted for the marijuana party 20 years ago and now it’s legal. Fringe party voting is a good thing.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

How are u posted:

here's still plenty of time for actions to be taken, for the public to demand it, and ultimately people will go vote in person if they hear often enough that Trump is destroying the Postal Service to rig the election.

What does this mean? The public to demand it? Actions to be taken?
What did the democrats do when people demanded they stop locking up babies in cages? Or that they not give in to the GOP's every whim? Or that they stop one of the greatest upward wealth transfers in human history? Or that they actually fight against the rapist right-winger Trump put in the supreme court? Or they spend some of that military budget on literally anything else please, please just a little for healtcare? Or that they help people survive the pandemic? Or that they stop people from being kicked out of their homes because the economy is collapsing?

They don't give a poo poo! It doesn't matter how many change.org positions you sign, they do. not. care, especially because you'll vote for them no matter what they do!
Trump destroys the postal service. So what! More money for rich D donors that fill the void with their corporations. Trump rigs the election. So what! Democrats still coast to victory in enough places where it matters and they get another cycle scooping up easy fundraising dollars, and when the people beg for something to be done Nancy Pelosi will drop a press release where she tells us that no one can do anything and he's just not worth it honey!!! 👯🙅‍♀️😵

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Vernii posted:

Where do the folks who live in one of the numerous states where the primary was declared over and done with before they got to vote go to "hash out ideological purity arguments", as you put them, then?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How about the Democrat use their ressources to support massive worker action to save the post office? It’s something they could do to help.

They won’t because they hate workers, but they could.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
https://twitter.com/newsdamian/status/1294406176289898497

Trabisnikof posted:

Cool do you have a link to the ruling since it came out last night? I tried googling for it but couldn’t find it.

edit: like this AP article from today says no ruling has happened yet:

https://apnews.com/129185cec67f0f66b4a1c15dec3f735c

yeah my bad, i was misremembering

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Did this get posted? https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/08/14/obama-biden-relationship-393570

quote:

Yet searing, anonymously sourced quotes from Obama kept appearing through the race. One Democrat who spoke to Obama recalled the former president warning, “Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to gently caress things up.” Speaking of his own waning understanding of today’s Democratic electorate, especially in Iowa, Obama told one 2020 candidate: “And you know who really doesn’t have it? Joe Biden.”

lol

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zanziabar posted:

Can't. Because of lovely luck, I need healthcare thanks to a chronic condition, and that precludes me from immigrating to a shitload of countries (New Zealand included).

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Kreeblah posted:

Where do the folks who live in one of the numerous states where the primary was declared over and done with before they got to vote go to "hash out ideological purity arguments", as you put them, then?

They wait in one of those massive lines at an intentionally understaffed polling location that just so happens to be in a low income mostly younger people area.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Zanziabar posted:

Option 5 - join the protests, feed people, build alternate power. That's the only one really left at this point.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

MonsieurChoc posted:

How about the Democrat use their ressources to support massive worker action to save the post office? It’s something they could do to help.

They won’t because they hate workers, but they could.

You know that 2006 law that requires the Post Office to pre-fund health retiree health benefits 75 years in advance? The one the Postal Unions and many a pundit claims is financially crippling the service and letting Republicans make the argument that the service is financially untenable and should be decommissioned and privatized? It passed the House via voice vote and the Senate by unanimous consent. No objections. They don't actually care about the Post Office or its workers. Maybe next time the Dems have some control they'll get rid of the prefunding law now that we know it's clearly a poo poo idea, but I doubt there will be serious action taken to actually protect the USPS from this sort of interference from future administrations; after all, is Joe going to sign a bill that weakens his hold over the post office or any other agency? Now that Trump has set this precedent, get ready to be right back here during the next Republican administration.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

Can't. Because of lovely luck, I need healthcare thanks to a chronic condition, and that precludes me from immigrating to a shitload of countries (New Zealand included).

That sucks US Goon, I hope no matter what happens in november that your health circumstances & the wider COVID-19 situation improve sufficiently enough that you can move sometime in the future. Basically, that was the point of my post. If the political situation in your home country has become so bad that there are no more good options then you need to leave. Maybe not today, or tomorrow or even a year from now but as soon as you're able.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Zanziabar posted:

That sucks US Goon, I hope no matter what happens in november that your health circumstances & the wider COVID-19 situation improve sufficiently enough that you can move sometime in the future. Basically, that was the point of my post. If the political situation in your home country has become so bad that there are no more good options then you need to leave. Maybe not today, or tomorrow or even a year from now but as soon as you're able.

I really wish I could. Since January 20, 2017 I've daydreamed about moving abroad to a more socialist place like Switzerland or Norway and I've tended to live vicariously through watching travel programs like Rick Steves' Europe. At the moment, though, I just don't have the financial means. I don't even have a passport.

Did you say you were a NZ goon? I thought I read/heard that New Zealand had one of the better, less corrupt governments of the world. NZ seems like a beautiful place to live.