Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Hey. Beer on the pier can be a great time. Especially when your new O-1 SUPPO accidentally pays for a CONEX box with...ummm...extra entertainment options.

Which happened on my first ship.

Favorite part of Jebel Ali: No liberty buddy. (Although 3 hours for a Shwarma in the sun was a bit much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

Exactly. The DCA is a second tour divo on small boys and I believe a department head on bigger decks. The ADCA is either an ensign stashed under the DCA on a small boy or a JG on a big deck that's leading the DC division and works for the DCA.

Yeah our DCA on an LPD was a Chief Warrant Officer. Him being the assistant, it seems weird to further the acronym with another assistant. On the green side, we’d probably call that person the DCZ or DC Zulu to signify their assistant assistant status.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Hekk posted:

What is an ADCA? Assistant Damage Control Assistant?

Yep. DCA was a lt cdr, adca was a mustang jg.

Lou Takki posted:

How in the hell is someone this stupid? I really want to know what exactly he changed now.

It was something on the card for the scba recharging station, but this was almost 12 years ago so gently caress if I can remember what exactly. I just remember everyone being happy cause the dude was an absolute prick. I can't even remember his name, but everyone called him captain america.

This was also the same ship that the AQAO (LT, mustang nuke) kept shutting down HT work and when we had a gap in divo's the qao assigned him to us so he'd calm the gently caress down. He started off as a massive prick and by the end of deployment the division probably would've jumped in front of a bullet for the guy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Got swapped watches by chief for when the 4 star was to show up. Then we got rounded up and told to stay in the lounge when he arrived.

Boo.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Got swapped watches by chief for when the 4 star was to show up. Then we got rounded up and told to stay in the lounge when he arrived.

Boo.

Blueshirts aren't even at the level of being seen and not heard

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

Boo.

You won, I dont know why you're booing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

piL posted:

You won, I dont know why you're booing.

I wanted a coin goddamn it. I was trying really hard to figure out a way to be around to weasel one out of him.

My shiny collection is pathetically small.

However we did drive by the Naples "beach" on the way back from the MWR park and I got to seem some ancient dude with balls down to his knees sunbathing in public so the day wasn't a total loss.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

I wanted a coin goddamn it. I was trying really hard to figure out a way to be around to weasel one out of him.

My shiny collection is pathetically small.

However we did drive by the Naples "beach" on the way back from the MWR park and I got to seem some ancient dude with balls down to his knees sunbathing in public so the day wasn't a total loss.

so glad those were never a thing for me

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ded posted:

:same:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

It's lame but it costs somebody else money to make them and give them away for them to be forgotten about in the bottom of a drawer.

Driving us nuts how Souda Bay and Naples have off base liberty but we still nailed to ship while our civmar detachment goes off whoring every night or whatever old men do.

Our bubble!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Can't speak for Souda but the only thing you missed in Naples is potentially getting pickpocketed, stabbed, and getting herpes and/or bubonic plague, and not necessarily in that order.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Can't speak for Souda but the only thing you missed in Naples is potentially getting pickpocketed, stabbed, and getting herpes and/or bubonic plague, and not necessarily in that order.

I'd take 2 of those 3 options for a chance to see Pompeii or Herculam or honestly anything not made from aluminum.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Glad they are getting off. An MSC 3M killed himself a month ago. They are getting hosed with lockdown orders and the fact that MSC, where its already hard to get a relief, has made it next to impossible. Unions are getting passed.

I interview for a shore side steam test job with a defense contractor next week gently caress me if I ever go to sea again.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd take 2 of those 3 options for a chance to see Pompeii or Herculam or honestly anything not made from aluminum.

I had liberty in Naples once when I was 19 years old. I was too young to appreciate the kickass pizza I ate, but I still recognized it as a shady-rear end shithole. Should have taken the MWR trip to Pompeii for sure, but I chose to go out with two borderline retarded GM's (because I was new to the ship and didn't have friends) and watched the dumber guy buy a video camcorder from a fellow for a real steal of a price (in lire!). The nice Italian man quickly wrapped it up in a box and tied a plastic shopping bag around it, handed it to my dude, then he and his buddy hopped on a moped and sped off. GM liberty buddy opens the bag/box and finds an old purse filled with sand.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
That is fantastic :vince:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ded posted:

I never chased them, but I do have a few. My favorite is from an O-6...got it for some light breaking and entering. I did piss off an army 2-star (by preventing him from broadcasting his conversation out on the main UHF freq in OIF) and was the only one on the ~30 person crew to not get one. :lol:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Glad they are getting off. An MSC 3M killed himself a month ago. They are getting hosed with lockdown orders and the fact that MSC, where its already hard to get a relief, has made it next to impossible. Unions are getting passed.

I interview for a shore side steam test job with a defense contractor next week gently caress me if I ever go to sea again.

Yeah the departed was a personal friend of two of our MSC and known by a handful more. Their relief has be consisntly a few months late right now indeed, however they have had liberty in the Med since June off the ship. Our bubble is a joke when 10+ of the crew is in town each night.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Officers and chiefs I'm guessing?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ded posted:

Officers and chiefs I'm guessing?

All the MSC and civilian contractors can leave the ship whenever. It's just the mildet who are restricted to the ship and our officers and chiefs have been stringent in obeying the rules. They may not bitch like us but its quite apparent they are not pleased.

Overall it's a content ship though. Nobody's a giant rear end or a constant debby downer. The officers bar the commander all pitch in with cleaners and you can frequently see an 04 or chief cleaning heads alongside an E5.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Min Required

Your Score

Oh gently caress....

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Min Required

Your Score

Oh gently caress....

Congrats on being part of the IWC and catapulting up the enlisted ranks in the minimal time required

I was selected for :chiefsay: first time up from in the reserve from active with under 8 years in

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Naples struck me as the only town that's had more navy than it wants than Norfolk.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

Min Required

Your Score

Oh gently caress....

Ohh poo poo!! Does this mean you are going to be the shammingest skating 1st Class ever to make it through the reserves?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Congrats on being part of the IWC and catapulting up the enlisted ranks in the minimal time required

I was selected for :chiefsay: first time up from in the reserve from active with under 8 years in

There's a new IS1 who has 3 years in on the ship.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hekk posted:

Ohh poo poo!! Does this mean you are going to be the shammingest skating 1st Class ever to make it through the reserves?

one step closer to forcing my kids to call me Chief when they want to borrow the car

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

A-loving-men.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Min Required

Your Score

Oh gently caress....

:toot:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Min Required

Your Score

Oh gently caress....

Congrats man. Just curious but didn’t we join a few months apart?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah the departed was a personal friend of two of our MSC and known by a handful more. Their relief has be consisntly a few months late right now indeed, however they have had liberty in the Med since June off the ship. Our bubble is a joke when 10+ of the crew is in town each night.

Having a combined crew with different rules is the dumbest thing. They've had plenty of time to figure out how to coordinate MARAD directives with the Navy. How can you have an effective coordinated effort if the two parties can't get on the same page on something like this?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

lightpole posted:

Having a combined crew with different rules is the dumbest thing.

having different rules for officers and enlisted has been working fine for hundreds of years

now go clean that bilge for 3 hours

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Min Required

Your Score

Oh gently caress....

congrats IT1

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

Congrats man. Just curious but didn’t we join a few months apart?

Been in since Nov 2015. However I only got about half that time on active orders. Reserves has been a wild trip.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Been in since Nov 2015. However I only got about half that time on active orders. Reserves has been a wild trip.

Okay yeah I joined back in 2015. I did go active but active got me from E1 to E4 back to E1 real quick. Five great years. :v:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

You've escaped from the skate-est rank in the Navy though sadly enough, now you're actually going to be expected to do poo poo.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
crab is going to make chief at 7 years in the reserves and piss everyone off :lol:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He’s gonna be a master chief with 16 years TIS. Watch.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

CWO5 Crabdad

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

LingcodKilla posted:

Min Required

Your Score

Oh gently caress....

:chiefsay: :chiefsay: :chiefsay: Congrats! You have just a couple of years to prep for Chief buddy. Get that record squared away. :chiefsay: :chiefsay: :chiefsay:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Madurai posted:

Naples struck me as the only town that's had more navy than it wants than Norfolk.

It's their fault for having such delicious pizza everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
All hail future MCPON Crab Dad. Most confused official portrait ever.