Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Awesome thanks for the advice guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

The hike was not to be unfortunately, partner came down with something so we came home, weather was looking pretty poo poo anyway. All the film holders loaded and nowhere to go.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

MrBlandAverage posted:

I've used a 65mm on my Chamonix a number of times. Using the rearmost position for the front standard and with zeroed rise/fall, the bed appears in the frame in portrait orientation but not in landscape. The problem disappears if you use the second rearmost position for the front standard. Yes, you have to move the rear standard forward. You won't have much image circle for movements but the standard "universal" bellows won't be a problem in this regard.

Standar bellows doesnt work with anything wider than 150mm get a Phillips Explorer instead

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'll take any used 8x10 field cameras off anyone's hands, free of charge

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hello fellow dorkroom posters.

With the future of SA up in the air it would be a shame to lose this wonderful community to the ether, this is my favorite place to post about photography and get dunked on by people who are far more talented than me. To that end there's a new stickied thread and a Dorkroom discord has been made. If the worst comes to pass it'd be a shame to lose touch with all of you fine posters, so please come in and have a chat, or let us know some of your other favorite places to talk about photography.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929110

https://discord.gg/98XxqMB

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound posted:

With the future of SA up in the air it would be a shame to lose this wonderful community to the ether, this is my favorite place to post about photography and get dunked on by people who are far more talented than me. To that end there's a new stickied thread and a Dorkroom discord has been made. If the worst comes to pass it'd be a shame to lose touch with all of you fine posters, so please come in and have a chat, or let us know some of your other favorite places to talk about photography.

:love:

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Megabound posted:

Thank you

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Velvia 50, a bit ambitious with the dynamic range so there's nothing left of the shadows. I shot the same scene on portra 400 but haven't developed it yet so fingers crossed it will have fared better:

This one was a 15 second exposure on Ektachrome 100 (but actually shot at ISO 80, I don't think it's actually a 100 film).

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
So... I now have a crown graphic that seems in good shape I got for free. It's got a 135 4.7, rangefinder and there's 5 film holders. Looking forward to figuring it out but I'll take any tips or shortcuts.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

One more shot from the same day as the two I shared above, this one was portra 400. Really struggled to find any good composition including this big rock as the subject, it was really busy and there was a lot of contrast but I think it turned out ok.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It looks cool man. Lots of foreground and it’s pretty good but that rock in the coastal haze is real nice.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Love your colours. Your pictures are always extremely soothing to look at.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

It's like a massage for the eyes.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

I think this is some sort of hvac thing, or maybe a brutalist trumpet? Either way, I don’t care cause it’s great, nice work!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

frogbs posted:

I think this is some sort of hvac thing, or maybe a brutalist trumpet? Either way, I don’t care cause it’s great, nice work!

Haha thanks! Yeah I think it's some sort of HVAC exhaust thing.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
^ nice one

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Okaaay...so that's too much tilt.

Still like the concepts of it, so will go back and re-shoot.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i think id like it more if the movements were being used to square off the window in the frame rather thhan make blur. be methodical and try to get the camera leveled out and everything square in the frame. also moving the camera to the left a little bit and linging up the window frames with the baffles on the interior ceiling could really lock this shot in. nice colour on the sky

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

What's reasonable to pay for a Toyo 4x5 Field with Schneider-kreuznach 110 & 66mm, both f5.6, plus a few film-backs?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

extreme magenta cast going on

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Edit: gently caress it.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 13, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Gunna finally pull the trigger on a Chamonix 45, probably the f2 since it's only slightly more expensive than the n2 and the extra movement control may be nice if I decide I need them - and if I don't, the extra knobs for the front standard movement control won't hurt. Now, to make sure I have everything I'll need:

Film holders - what are the recommended brands? I tend to see Toyo, Chamonix, and Fidelity Elite be the recommended brands here. Second-hand fidelity holders seem to be the cheapest, like $17 on Keh, but I'm not sure how much them being used would compromise their functionality. How many is it recommended I grab, anyways?

A loupe - I remember reading somewhere in this thread that EMO Macromax 5x is recommended, but not having a particularly easy time finding them online since Keh is out. Any good alternatives?

A hood - I've heard the BTZS ones are good, and they seem reasonably priced. Any reason to get something else?

A darkbag - I've got a closet I've used as a darkroom in the past but it's kinda turned into a storage room, and i'm not confident it's 100% light-tight enough to risk loading sheet film, so I'll probably grab a film bag. Any suggestions?

Anything else I'm missing? I've got a tripod, and obviously will be getting a lens and film as well. I've got a cheapo cable release I got on ebay for like $10, so maybe it'd be worth getting a new one of those that probably isn't janky knockoff crap? I haven't got a scanner decent for sheet film, but I don't have a darkroom to develop it anyways so whatever i'll let a lab scan it for me until i spring for an epson v800. That being said, anyone know which (if any) photo labs in Seattle develop sheetfilm? Shotonfilm and Panda Labs don't seem to offer it, at least according to their websites. If I send it away for remote development, what's the standard way to do so, do I ship them out in the film holders or what?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

whatever you do, only buy plastic holders, new style riteways are the best, make sure where you're buying from says they're light tight

any loupe will work, you don't need them that much if you're stopping down enough and shooting in daylight

btzs hoods are worth the money

get a dark 'tent', your sweaty hands will thank you. harrison pup tent is the winner. you can use a bag, it just sucks and you'll be more prone to get dust on your negs while loading

send your film to citizen's in portland, their rates are very reasonable (2.95/sheet, c-41 or e-6) and their mail back rates are cheap as hell - i haven't gone there in person because of covid and my return shipping costs are like $3. you can ship in the holders, but it's going to cost more - i unload them into the same box the film came in and tape the edges with painter's or gaff tape.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 15, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ansel autisms posted:

whatever you do, only buy plastic holders, new style riteways are the best, make sure where you're buying from says they're light tight

any loupe will work, you don't need them that much if you're stopping down enough and shooting in daylight

btzs hoods are worth the money

get a dark 'tent', your sweaty hands will thank you. harrison pup tent is the winner. you can use a bag, it just sucks and you'll be more prone to get dust on your negs while loading

send your film to citizen's in portland, their rates are very reasonable (2.95/sheet, c-41 or e-6) and their mail back rates are cheap as hell - i haven't gone there in person because of covid and my return shipping costs are like $3. you can ship in the holders, but it's going to cost more - i unload them into the same box the film came in and tape the edges with painter's or gaff tape.

Sweet, took the plunge and ordered my chamonix :toot: How can i tell the new style riteways specifically? Googling just seems to reveal people referring to them but not really describing them.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Sweet, took the plunge and ordered my chamonix :toot: How can i tell the new style riteways specifically? Googling just seems to reveal people referring to them but not really describing them.

Number all your holders and write down a description of each shot so if one has a leak you know which holder sucks.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

Number all your holders and write down a description of each shot so if one has a leak you know which holder sucks.

the new style riteways have little plastic dials with numbers (2 digits, so lots of possible sheet combos) to identify those problems

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

this is the 'new' style, they don't have a metal lever to hold the slide in but instead have a tiny button (the visible white dot) that depresses to unlock the slide once they're inserted under the ground glass. cadillac holders

easiest way to tell the difference is seeing how the top of the slide has a massive center nub vs. a single offset nub on one side

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Sweet, thanks for the help everyone! I've got everything ordered except for a lens. Most of the fujinon 150s on ebay are from Japan, is there anything I should be aware of because of that, such as incompatible lens boards or anything? The ones without major problems seem to run $200-300 usd, that about fair or should I see if I can hold out for a better deal?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

just get one in a copal shutter and buy a matching linhof board (don't spend your money on a fancy chamonix one, they're all the same size)

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Both of the lenses I got from Japan for my 4x5 came with boards, I specifically ordered those ones because I didn't want to faff around with ordering boards separately and mounting them.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I just use a cheap black Uniqlo tee as my hood, although actually I almost never used it since I got the Chamonix folding viewer too.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

the btzs hoods are great because they're waterproof and you can put the elastic end over the front standard and still peek under the far end to see the ground glass so you can shoot in the rain!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

My used RZ67 Pro ii just arrived (:coronatoot:), and I am trying to decide between returning it (strongly leaning toward this) or fixing it myself. The coarse focus know is really stiff in 2 spots and while the fine focus knob moves fine, it does not actually move the bellows at all. The manual I found did not look confidence-inspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

My used RZ67 Pro ii just arrived (:coronatoot:), and I am trying to decide between returning it (strongly leaning toward this) or fixing it myself. The coarse focus know is really stiff in 2 spots and while the fine focus knob moves fine, it does not actually move the bellows at all. The manual I found did not look confidence-inspiring.

drat, did you buy one that was EXC+++++++ instead of Near MINT-? These days seems like EXC means broken somehow, no matter the number of pluses. Ask me about my returned EXC Pentax 67s that had shutter drag above 1/125, or delaminated focus screens (easy fix tho), or just straight up couldn’t mount a lens.

Edit: also excited that I now have a 2x3 Crown Graphic. It came with a 90/4.5 Wollensak that didn’t agree with the infinity stops or the rangefinder. I added a Fujinon 105/5.6 and mounted it on a tiny graphic board; somehow the whole thing still folds up with the Fuji. It’s out for calibration to the 105 right now. It also came with a 6x7 Singer and older 6x9 Graflex roll holder that I heard can have film flatness issues, but I’ll wait to see what my results are before breaking down and getting a horseman back.

In the meantime, I need a better ground glass. Not sure if I’ll order something like this or try to grind my own using a piece of hardware store glass and some silicon carbide. Haven’t been able to find a piece of glass this size with a fresnel.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 21, 2020