Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I looked up that same info and it helped mildly, but ultimately I still had the same problem trying to Ryu them. I got stuck on the first segment for probably 30+ minutes because they kept randomly sticking to my hands or firing in the complete wrong direction. Really frustrating.

Overall game was awesome though. Not perfect, but by far the prettiest and robust made for VR game I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
To piggyback: I often throw grenades at my feet in Pavlov while playing on the quest.

It’s because the quest can see my hands when I put it behind my head so it just drops the grenade.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pretend you’re a pissed off witch straight outta hell, not a coed softball pitcher

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:lol:

That's some worthless poo poo; don't even bother at that point, seriously.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

sigher posted:

:lol:

That's some worthless poo poo; don't even bother at that point, seriously.

I was expecting the PSVR exclusivity confirmation, at least for the short term, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. But the gamepad only thing I'm pretty surprised by. I'm not a PSVR owner but I thought move controllers for it was gonna be kind of a given.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Mischievous Mink posted:

I was expecting the PSVR exclusivity confirmation, at least for the short term, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. But the gamepad only thing I'm pretty surprised by. I'm not a PSVR owner but I thought move controllers for it was gonna be kind of a given.

They literally talk about sticking your hand around corners in the dev video. This is bizarre.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I honestly do not see how you can make a VR game in 2020 and manage to not read the room first. They're either gonna have to put in more effort to rebuild their VR UI across three entire games after the fact, or it's potentially gonna be consigned to this barely-used thing that only exists in the PS4 version... several months after the Playstation 5 releases. What was the long-term plan here? :confused:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mischievous Mink posted:

Nah move controllers suck dicks and are easily the worst part of PSVR.

Focusing on controller so you can still reliably play the game is the right move. It looks like they're still gonna use the controller for motion controls too, like, they already said you can swing melee weapons. So you'll just be swinging the controller instead.

The problem is just that the move controllers are SO bad. They never should have been part of PSVR to start with. Ancient technology.

Wheezle posted:

They literally talk about sticking your hand around corners in the dev video. This is bizarre.

The controller can still be used for motion controls. They specifically talk about aiming around a corner with a gun, which you could do with the controller.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly do not see how you can make a VR game in 2020 and manage to not read the room first. They're either gonna have to put in more effort to rebuild their VR UI across three entire games after the fact, or it's potentially gonna be consigned to this barely-used thing that only exists in the PS4 version... several months after the Playstation 5 releases. What was the long-term plan here? :confused:

Huh? This isn't a matter of not reading the room, dude. Its business.

The long term plan here is get Sony to give you money so you can do VR because its cool and then maybe you can leverage that to add VR support to more later on.

Don't forget Square dropped IO so they're basically their own indie studio now, and they BARELY stayed afloat to make H2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh? This isn't a matter of not reading the room, dude. Its business.

The long term plan here is get Sony to give you money so you can do VR because its cool and then maybe you can leverage that to add VR support to more later on.

Don't forget Square dropped IO so they're basically their own indie studio now, and they BARELY stayed afloat to make H2.

Gamepad and hand controller UI's are very different things, and the only thing that uses a gyro-equipped gamepad for VR is PSVR on PS4. There's a non-zero chance that PSVR2 drops that altogether for proper hand controllers (especially as our first look at the DualSense suggests it's not trackable by the Move camera), and it's completely unviable for any other VR platform because nobody else uses a gyro-equipped, trackable, gamepad.

So you've made a feature for a platform that will be on its way out by the time the game releases, and your new model may not even properly support with next-generation tech. "Our long-term plan is a feature that may only work in the relative short-term" isn't a very good one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gamepad and hand controller UI's are very different things

Uh, what? Saying this in a vacuum is meaningless. It depends entirely on a ton of factors. That's absolutely not a given, and there are several games for which that isn't remotely true.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

, and the only thing that uses a gyro-equipped gamepad for VR is PSVR on PS4. There's a non-zero chance that PSVR2 drops that altogether for proper hand controllers (especially as our first look at the DualSense suggests it's not trackable by the Move camera), and it's completely unviable for any other VR platform because nobody else uses a gyro-equipped, trackable, gamepad.

So you've made a feature for a platform that will be on its way out by the time the game releases, and your new model may not even properly support with next-generation tech. "Our long-term plan is a feature that may only work in the relative short-term" isn't a very good one.

whaaaat? Why would you need a gyro?

This is such insane reversal of logic. You've done effect->cause instead of cause->effect.

They use the gyro gamepad to figure out where you're holding it in 3d space and use it as a controller. There's nothing about the gameplay that is going to REQUIRE a gyro, that's silly. VR motion controls on PC already give you all the same data a gyro would give you, just more accurate. Acting like these are entirely different branches of gameplay is... I'm sorry, but crazy talk. This is all wrong dude. You're confusing yourself badly.l

They're not using the controller for gyro :doh: they're using it for face buttons and reliable thumbsticks. Lmao. The same things that Oculus or Index controllers have.

Don't get so heavy into ps5 speculation when we don't know what PS5 VR is gonna be like yet. They'll obviously have to come up with some solution for PSVR controls on PS5 unless they don't support PSVR. Whatever that solution is, will work. Again, the idea that you NEED a gyro is completely missing the point. The gyro is just a way to get position data because the camera isn't accurate enough in itself; that's all.

Gyro isn't a feature its part of the technology dude.

I'm seriously struggling to imagine what you could possibly want or need a gyro for. You can already hold a bottle of fluid in HL:Alyx and tip it back and forth in your hand. There's no need for gyros, those are just two means to the end of getting the rotational data of your wrist. PC already has that solved. What is a gyro exclusive gameplay feature like??

You realize the PS4 controller works as a move controller in itself, right? You can hold it out and wiggle it around in 3d space and in-game your hand will move around where the controller moves. That's the point here.
They already showed that you can garotte people or shoot guns by moving your hands around. They said you can swing a frying pan and hit someone and it'll just hit them. How do you picture all that being vastly different than how PC would do it? Its the same thing you just only have 1 pair of hands instead of 2 individual hands.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 15, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, I've got zero clue why you've just laser-focused in on a gyroscope being the core issue here :psyduck:.

Zaphod42 posted:

You realize the PS4 controller works as a move controller in itself, right? You can hold it out and wiggle it around in 3d space and in-game your hand will move around where the controller moves. That's the point here.
They already showed that you can garotte people or shoot guns by moving your hands around. They said you can swing a frying pan and hit someone and it'll just hit them. How do you picture all that being vastly different than how PC would do it? Its the same thing you just only have 1 pair of hands instead of 2 individual hands.

You're dealing with a game that has VR as a mode and has to work as a conventional Hitman game as well. Running off a gamepad tends to suggest it'll lean towards "Hitman controls, but with a first-person perspective and gyro aiming/melee".

Garotting is different because you're functionally placing a hoop around the target's head and close it. Doing it with hand controllers means you'd have to dynamically tracking a mesh cord between two objects that has to know when it's intersected around a target's neck and how to apply the controller positions to dictate choking strength.

Firearms operate fundamentally differently between a gamepad and hand controllers, because you'd need to iterate a whole new level of interaction just to eject the magazine, insert a new one, and be able to chamber the weapon. And you have to iterate that individually for every single type of gun in the game. Also how are they equipped? Because if it's just out of a menu, then you've also gotta work in holding and shooting a weapon from the left hand.

You have to design the playspace differently because it's forward-facing seated vs anything from forward-facing seated to full roomscale. What counts as a crouch? Or whether or not the player's seen at any given moment simply because their hand's slighting around a corner? The core concern is the gamepad, because it's obfuscating an extra layer of input that needs to be built out for anything else.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Firearms operate fundamentally differently between a gamepad and hand controllers, because you'd need to iterate a whole new level of interaction just to eject the magazine, insert a new one, and be able to chamber the weapon. And you have to iterate that individually for every single type of gun in the game. Also how are they equipped? Because if it's just out of a menu, then you've also gotta work in holding and shooting a weapon from the left hand.

Not all VR games handle guns to this extreme. Some do, some don't. Some just have a reload button. If they port Hitman VR to PC and it works with Index or Oculus motion controllers to whack people with frying pans or garrote people, but you press X to reload instead of ejecting the clip with motions, would that completely 100% ruin the experience for you? Hitman isn't an FPS, much less a realistic hardcore FPS. Its a chess game where you generally only shoot your gun as a last resort or distraction.

Comeon.

Yeah, you have to add the left hand. :rolleyes: That's not a big deal though if you already have the code for right hand holding guns and shooting guns and moving them around.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have to design the playspace differently because it's forward-facing seated vs anything from forward-facing seated to full roomscale.

Not really necessarily. Plenty of games do both... with little or no changes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What counts as a crouch? Or whether or not the player's seen at any given moment simply because their hand's slighting around a corner?

These are things that any VR game struggle with but can be solved, and will exist both equally on PSVR as PC. Nothing about the controller changes this remotely. Its entirely a tangential issue and that's just the nature of VR games.

In both cases you have an HMD position and you have a controller position. From those and tolerances, you extrapolate out where the body position is, roughly. You just have 2 controllers on PC.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The core concern is the gamepad, because it's obfuscating an extra layer of input that needs to be built out for anything else.

What? Why? What is the gamepad that an Index controller isn't except there's 2 of them instead of just 1? Explain please.

The Index and Oculus controllers have thumbsticks and buttons on them too...

E: Do you have a PSVR? Have you played Hitman? I feel like you have a lot of misconceptions about what this is going to be like to play.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 15, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Do you have a PSVR? Have you played Hitman? I feel like you have a lot of misconceptions about what this is going to be like to play.

Yes, yes, and I'm expecting this to probably wind up playing similar to Resident Evil VII's VR mode interface-wise, if you want a frame of reference.

Zaphod42 posted:

What? Why? What is the gamepad that an Index controller isn't except there's 2 of them instead of just 1? Explain please.

I did throughout the previous post though? :confused:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, yes, and I'm expecting this to probably wind up playing similar to Resident Evil VII's VR mode interface-wise, if you want a frame of reference.

RE7 has virtually no VR functionality though outside of just being in VR and looking around to aim. Other than that it just controls like a screen game. Hitman appears to use the DS4 like a motion controller, which would bring No Man's Sky to mind as my first comparison. It does not work well in No Man's Sky.

Basically there are no good control options on PSVR for more involved games except the aim controller which rules, but is only supported by about 10 games, 2 that anyone actually cares about.

I think their best bet would be to just sack the motion controls all together in favor of just aiming at what you want to do like RE7. It's not ideal but at least it's not clunky.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you saying they're going to update the VR down the line for Hitman once sales are good or other VR titles? Because I'll bet dollars to donuts that the former won't be happening. You loving swear.

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you honestly trying to compare purpose built VR devices with full, accurate 6DOF individual hand and finger tracking to a standardized flat-gaming controller that was repurposed to just get by in VR? What.

sigher fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 15, 2020

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

sigher posted:

Are you saying they're going to update the VR down the line for Hitman once sales are good or other VR titles? Because I'll bet dollars to donuts that the former won't be happening. You loving swear.

Are you honestly trying to compare purpose built VR devices with full, accurate 6DOF individual hand and finger tracking to a standardized flat-gaming controller that was repurposed to just get by in VR? What.

They've already said all three games are in this one?? https://www.forbes.com/sites/joepar...r/#34bc8209b9c0

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

They've already said all three games are in this one?? https://www.forbes.com/sites/joepar...r/#34bc8209b9c0

While they have said actually said they'd "consider Move Controllers" down the line, adding it after the fact really doesn't do much when there's core design changes they really should be doing from the start for a proper VR interface rather than tacking them on. Having all three games involved makes it less likely to happen too because of the scope of the work involved.

veni veni veni posted:

RE7 has virtually no VR functionality though outside of just being in VR and looking around to aim. Other than that it just controls like a screen game. Hitman appears to use the DS4 like a motion controller, which would bring No Man's Sky to mind as my first comparison. It does not work well in No Man's Sky.

Basically there are no good control options on PSVR for more involved games except the aim controller which rules, but is only supported by about 10 games, 2 that anyone actually cares about.

I think their best bet would be to just sack the motion controls all together in favor of just aiming at what you want to do like RE7. It's not ideal but at least it's not clunky.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Just from the way they talk about it, my concern is it'll turn into a "first person, but waggle!" setup. "You're in first person, but waggle that controller to bonk people on the head!", or "Lift your controller to slip the garrote wire indicator around their neck and hold the triggers to strangle them!!" as individual interface gimmicks rather than planning out a "full" VR mode, if that makes sense?

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I wonder if it's all an announcement timing issue. They've announced Hitman VR for release after ps5 is released.

Sony have long been rumoured to be working on a psvr2 headset and proper hand controllers, and still haven't announced how VR will actually work on ps5 (beyond playing ps4 games with compatible ps4 hardware)

It's plausible Hitman VR (if it isn't a cheap "get it out quick" crappy mode) is being built with new HMD and hand controllers in mind for ps5, but they can't talk about any of those things yet because sony isn't ready to announce anything, so the hitman developers can't talk about anything except dualshock on ps4.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

A very generous goon gave me his Vive headset that he didn’t use anymore, and I have been hooked on VR ever since. The depth perception is amazing and It’ll be hard for me to go back to flatscreen. So far I’ve played Google Earth VR, The Lab, H3VR, Sairento, Superhot, and Overload. In the FPS-style games I’ve been using either armswinger or teleporting to get around and that works fine. I tried the mode where the thumbpad is used for locomotion and it seems that moving forward is kinda slow, but backing up or strafing left/right is a lot faster. Like, sprinting speeds for moving any direction except for forwards, which is like a walking speed. Is this by design or is something up with the thumbpads? Ive tried both controllers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scope posted:

A very generous goon gave me his Vive headset that he didn’t use anymore, and I have been hooked on VR ever since. The depth perception is amazing and It’ll be hard for me to go back to flatscreen. So far I’ve played Google Earth VR, The Lab, H3VR, Sairento, Superhot, and Overload. In the FPS-style games I’ve been using either armswinger or teleporting to get around and that works fine. I tried the mode where the thumbpad is used for locomotion and it seems that moving forward is kinda slow, but backing up or strafing left/right is a lot faster. Like, sprinting speeds for moving any direction except for forwards, which is like a walking speed. Is this by design or is something up with the thumbpads? Ive tried both controllers.

Vive trackpads just kinda suck rear end for anything involving analogue movement. Armswinger really is the best way to go with H3VR, sprint like you're in a Warner Bros cartoon and get a bit of exercise while you run away from zombie sosigs!

Lord Bob posted:

It's plausible Hitman VR (if it isn't a cheap "get it out quick" crappy mode) is being built with new HMD and hand controllers in mind for ps5, but they can't talk about any of those things yet because sony isn't ready to announce anything, so the hitman developers can't talk about anything except dualshock on ps4.

The lack of Move controllers from the start is the real clincher I feel, because it's not like Move-only games are forbidden and Teleportation movement is a typical inclusion just for accessibility even now. It'd be far easier to add on thumbstick-based movement options (as well as get it onto SteamVR/Oculus) than to have to rebuild and test their entire VR interface for three full games after the fact.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Scope posted:

A very generous goon gave me his Vive headset that he didn’t use anymore, and I have been hooked on VR ever since. The depth perception is amazing and It’ll be hard for me to go back to flatscreen.

Yeah, there are some games that work so well in VR that it becomes the only way you care to play them. Racing, flight and space sims are that way for me, though I'll make an exception for MS Flight Sim 2020 until its VR support is implemented.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any good horror VR games? I'm not too familiar with the genre (no I'm not afraid okay) but next week a friend who's into horror should come over and try VR for the first time so I want to make it as impactful as possible :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Resident Evil 7, but that's ps4 only

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’ve heard Alien: Isolation was pretty great in VR. I’ve owned it for years, and have bounced off the flat version multiple times because I’m a jittery coward, so I can only imagine how traumatic it is in VR.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Zaphod42 posted:

The Index and Oculus face buttons make perfect sense for VR controls but don't map properly to gamepad controls at all because they're split across both hands rather than all being grouped on the right, meaning half of them require you to take your thumb off the left analog stick (which is significantly more important than the right analog stick in just about every game). The NES is about where they top out in terms of being able to fully replicate a gamepad, everything above that is a compromise that requires adjustments to be usable. This isn't an issue at all if you're developing a game specifically for VR, but you can't just do a 1:1 transfer of gamepad controls to Oculus/Index controls unless the initial design wasn't relying heavily on the face buttons to begin with, which isn't the case for Hitman.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Are there any good horror VR games? I'm not too familiar with the genre (no I'm not afraid okay) but next week a friend who's into horror should come over and try VR for the first time so I want to make it as impactful as possible :v:

loving half life alyx

I cant imagine anything more terrifying in VR

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Seriously. gently caress Jeff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I didn't find Half Life Alyx even remotely scary. It had the elements, but Alyx isn't scared of anything, Rhys Davis is cracking jokes the whole time, and you are generally well equipped to kill anything in your path. Not that it's a bad thing. I don't feel like it was trying to be a horror game. But it certainly wasn't anything like RE7 which was spooky as all hell.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
well arent you just the brave little toaster then

also theres no way thats J Rhys Davies

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whoops, I meant Rhys Darby lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m not trying to say I I’m super brave or something lol, I just didn’t feel like the game had heavy horror vibes. I didn’t feel like it was trying to scare the hell out of me at all.

Tbh I just played this absolutely terrible horror experience called “Kobold” cause it was $2 and even with how bad it was it still had me all creeped out. I just find it hard to be scared by Alyx because the protagonist is so confident and it’s not really doing the usual “spooky” stuff that horror games so.

I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s very atmospheric and immersive and there are a few mildly unsettling parts I guess but I don’t see it as a horror game personally.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Anyone else playing Into the Radius? Basically Stalker in VR by a small dev. Definitely my favourite VR game so far, though I have a high tolerance for Russian jankiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWeptRHnXO0

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have it on Viveport, and I was kinda waiting for a pair of updates to be released, to decrease the jank I heard about.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

EbolaIvory posted:

Tip that was given to me.

Speed up the melee. Stop your brain from thinking and just make it react. I all but forget they are there a lot of times now unless its an interesting melee opposite shot combo thing.

Thanks, I'm big about playing for timing (my average offset on most things I play in this is between +/- 3ms, inclusive) so that won't work for the way I'm trying to learn, but practice will get me used to it. I know the melee notes are speed and don't have a timing aspect but I need to learn where they place rhythmically so I can keep up with the other elements of the chart. It's just mildly unintuitive but an interesting challenge.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
VR Roadside Picnic is a super-compelling pitch for me but yeah most of the reviews seem to mention that it's been out of early access for a while but still has a lot of jank to it?

Is there a reason Tetris Effect isn't showing up in the Oculus store app but does show up in the browser? People rave about it and I really want a relaxing VR game.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nep-Nep posted:

Thanks, I'm big about playing for timing (my average offset on most things I play in this is between +/- 3ms, inclusive) so that won't work for the way I'm trying to learn, but practice will get me used to it. I know the melee notes are speed and don't have a timing aspect but I need to learn where they place rhythmically so I can keep up with the other elements of the chart. It's just mildly unintuitive but an interesting challenge.

You're overthinking it.

I said all the same poo poo, was streaming, had some "bigger names" come in from the community and bully me into swapping it.

I instantly was able to hit every melee without thinking.

Turn the speed up. Its a visual thing like note jump speed, You're giving your brain too long to parse whats happening with shots + melee.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I can see where you're coming from if you mean that treating the melee notes as not part of the rhythm aspect of the game and just smacking them while focusing more on the shooting, yeah that makes sense. I think my hangup with that is if I do that then I'm trying to play a rhythm game while occasionally dealing with a silly mechanic that now I'm not treating as part of the rhythm game, and I kinda don't like that. Though it's totally possible that long-term I'd develop the skill I want to eventually stop doing it like that once I'm more comfortable with the overall game.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nep-Nep posted:

I can see where you're coming from if you mean that treating the melee notes as not part of the rhythm aspect of the game and just smacking them while focusing more on the shooting, yeah that makes sense. I think my hangup with that is if I do that then I'm trying to play a rhythm game while occasionally dealing with a silly mechanic that now I'm not treating as part of the rhythm game, and I kinda don't like that. Though it's totally possible that long-term I'd develop the skill I want to eventually stop doing it like that once I'm more comfortable with the overall game.

You're still going to "hit the note at the right time to the song".

Again overthinking. But thats the whole idea with speeding up the visual on melee. Your brain just takes over and does it, without you thinking nearly as much.

Play with it. Melee was my biggest hurdle messing with Audica (minus the old lovely visuals for out of FOV notes) and once I turned it up the problem went away and it was more just learning songs at that point.

BTW I turned this up, way before touching the high end of the OST difficulty. This will help you even at the lowest settings. Mess with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I've been playing rhythm games since the early 2000s so I definitely get what you mean about automaticity. I have certain methods I use for learning rhythm games but I can at least see where maybe being set in my ways and refusing to budge isn't a good larger habit to have, next session I'll try what you suggested. I'm working through the expert OST charts right now so if that mechanic can get less annoying that'll be nice.