Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

good

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Jojo thread got to talking about how no one mentions Haruhi anymore, and how crazy that is considering how popular it was.

But that just got be to thinking that when I first started posting here everyone was really in love with Haibane Renmei, but I haven't even seen someone mention that in recommendations anywhere for a while.

drat I'm old.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
By contrast, Jojo is eternal.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i just made a haruhi joke itt like yesterday

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean mostly there just hasn't been any Haruhi stuff for a while, at least afaik

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

There also arent many new posters here to recommend it to.

I showed up in 2017 and theres been maybe a dozen people after me?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Jojo thread got to talking about how no one mentions Haruhi anymore, and how crazy that is considering how popular it was.

But that just got be to thinking that when I first started posting here everyone was really in love with Haibane Renmei, but I haven't even seen someone mention that in recommendations anywhere for a while.

drat I'm old.

I remember people taking about Haruhi now when I was just out of high school, Jesus that makes me feel old too.

Did the light novels ever end or did the author just peace out? It’s crazy that they never adapted them if so since, like, people still buy the manga versions of poo poo. Maybe Endless Eight burned people out though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

I remember people taking about Haruhi now when I was just out of high school, Jesus that makes me feel old too.

Did the light novels ever end or did the author just peace out? It’s crazy that they never adapted them if so since, like, people still buy the manga versions of poo poo. Maybe Endless Eight burned people out though.

The author just stopped at one point.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TBH with how weird and postmodern Haruhi always was I feel like ever giving it a clear ending might have defied the point anyway

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Endless Eight definitely was the jumping off point for a whole lotta people.

But yeah, at one point my girlfriend, both roommates and a few coworkers were on the Haruhi.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

disappearance is the only ending haruhi needed tbh.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ouran host club used to be big, stuff just kinda fades out with time and lack of maintained presence. something like code geass can keep getting some amount of attention cause they keep making new stuff for it

hell there's some franchises that were big in the 90s in japan like twinbee that mostly live on these days as pastel getting cameo guest appearances in uh... bomber girl. tragic fall from her position a decade and a half ago where she was getting a cameo role in konami krazy racers

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 15, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

martian successor nadesico was huge in the 90s, legitimately an eva competitor, and had a massive impact on later series (every character people call a 'reiclone' is actually a ruriclone) but barely anybody whos part of the current generation of anime fans would have ever even heard of it. thats one i always think of

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
which is a shame cause nadesico is surprisingly one of the best written space drama anime i've ever seen lol

i think everyone should watch some random old stuff time to time cause you might find out why something once popular had that level of popularity or you might find a surprisingly okay ova adaptation of an early 2000s pc simulation game animated by ufotable

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
hey it's me, the nadesico fan. well, bye

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I rewatch Nadesico a lot, it's one of my all time favourites

Then I cry because SRW will never use anything but PoD ever again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

which is a shame cause nadesico is surprisingly one of the best written space drama anime i've ever seen lol
it also has some very funny black humor. the sequence where they barely make a daring escape and the old man gives his life to save them and everyones sad... and then next opens with yurika having to make videocalls and sending checks to the families of all the random staff like engineers and programmers that also died because of course a bunch of random people the protags barely knew died, the ship had a giant hole blown in it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I rewatch Nadesico a lot, it's one of my all time favourites

Then I cry because SRW will never use anything but PoD ever again
its me, im the person who thinks PoD is okay

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dig into old anime and you might find eat-man

https://files.catbox.moe/54t5c7.mp4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

its me, im the person who thinks PoD is okay

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world but it means never hearing anything but Black Serena III instead of Go Aestevalis or You Get to Burning.

It also means Gai is never around. gently caress I guess I should just replay J.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'm going to need some blank of three years takes, now

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Colonel posted:

dig into old anime and you might find eat-man

https://files.catbox.moe/54t5c7.mp4

i'm the microsoft general midi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world but it means never hearing anything but Black Serena III instead of Go Aestevalis or You Get to Burning.

It also means Gai is never around. gently caress I guess I should just replay J.
this is why w is the best nadesico rep

also i used custom music for vxt

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

this is why w is the best nadesico rep

also i used custom music for vxt

yeaaaah W was real good too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly thinking about it. you really can tell mashimo directed both eat-man and el cazador de la bruja

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wait a sec mashimo also directed irresponsible captain tylor

that... also makes a lot of sense. hero of directing really janky and awkward but interesting shows

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Teens into current anime might not know about Haruhi, but anybody who cares enough to dig into old shows is probably gonna bump into it sooner or later.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
I guess it's like what happened to Lost where it was originally immensely popular but burned so much goodwill that its lasting cultural legacy is 'that waste of time show that went nowhere *spit*' which then leads to it being forgotten very quickly because nobody's recommending Lost to any new viewers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Snackula posted:

I guess it's like what happened to Lost where it was originally immensely popular but burned so much goodwill that its lasting cultural legacy is 'that waste of time show that went nowhere *spit*' which then leads to it being forgotten very quickly because nobody's recommending Lost to any new viewers.
good thing haruhi never did that

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

haruhi's good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snackula posted:

it is not anything at all like that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for starters disappearance basically resolved every emotional and plot thread that had been established in a satisfactory way

thats why the novels after disappearance have to suddenly introduce a bunch of new characters

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly the whole anti-SoS arc that comes afterward also ends in a way that could be considered a conclusion, even if it doesn't say "The End." And even if you consider it extraneous.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
its basically a thematic wrap-up. by the end of the novels it's been demonstrated that haruhi has matured a lot and become deeply protective of everyone and likewise they all love being with the club. the last few scenes are real cute and should've satisfied anyone who wanted the closure of 'do they get together'

the only problem is that shamisen stops talking as the LNs progress. rip to a real one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
apparently kissmanga exploded a few hours ago, I doubt anyone still used it but it does make me wonder if there is a method to back up bookmarks on mangadex easily, like an export option or anything, just so I've got a list of series if I need it if mangadex also explodes

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
you might be able to save the RSS feed for your follows list? idk if that would be able to be used as an import for another service or not; I don't really remember how it worked when batoto died

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The RSS won't do too much for you unfortunately since it only includes the ones on the page you're looking at. This userscript seems fine, though - the output is formatted like a MAL export though I haven't tried actually using it as one.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

apparently kissmanga exploded a few hours ago, I doubt anyone still used it but it does make me wonder if there is a method to back up bookmarks on mangadex easily, like an export option or anything, just so I've got a list of series if I need it if mangadex also explodes

Kissanime is also down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

for starters disappearance basically resolved every emotional and plot thread that had been established in a satisfactory way

thats why the novels after disappearance have to suddenly introduce a bunch of new characters
As someone who read all of the novels I 100% agree. All of the big, serious plot threads that got introduced after that arc felt forced and ultimately unwilling to actually commit to any serious development to either the status quo of the setting or the characters themselves; everyone is in exactly the same place by the end of the last novel as they were at the start of Intrigues. I can absolutely buy that the author just hit such extreme writer's block that they felt compelled to stop.