Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As I mentioned the other day, I moved a game from the C drive to D drive, and it messed something up and I had to redownload it. MY SSD is only 256gb so I'm pretty much just keeping games that I'm actively playing on there. Say I finish a game and want to keep it. What is the best way to move it to the other drive without messing anything up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It really depends? I mean, if you're talking Steam games, then the Move Install Folder function should be more than enough to change locations without breaking anything. If something does break, it's kind of unusual. For anything else, you might have to pay attention to ini files and such that specify install paths. That's a bit fiddly and applies on a case by basis that is hard to predict.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Just hit the Frozen Wilds in Horizon Zero Dawn. I can forgive a lot of the port's sins - crashing every half hour, broken anisotropic filtering, jittery cutscene animations on high-refresh montors - but disabling snow deformation? That just makes me sad :smith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

veni veni veni posted:

As I mentioned the other day, I moved a game from the C drive to D drive, and it messed something up and I had to redownload it. MY SSD is only 256gb so I'm pretty much just keeping games that I'm actively playing on there. Say I finish a game and want to keep it. What is the best way to move it to the other drive without messing anything up?

https://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

if you go to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders you can make a second steam library on your D drive. then you can move anything installed on your C drive to it by right clicking the game in the library -> Properties -> Local files -> Move install folder.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

After getting Remnant for free on EGS and playing through the first dungeon I have to say that making the first boss a rushing melee enemy combined with suicide bomber trash is certainly a choice.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The best part is the first boss is random (although I swear nearly everyone gets ol' Gorefist) and hilariously the other options are a lot easier.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

In Remnant I got the boss that splits into 8 copies and spams waves of fire that travel through walls and stunlock you while 2 of the copies heal the rest. From my perspective with just my newbie gear and no other players joining my game it seems like a total trash design.

It's otherwise been a very fun game though. It has a cool occult sci-fi vibe with great lore. Reminds me a bit of The Secret World in that respect.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

In Remnant I got the boss that splits into 8 copies and spams waves of fire that travel through walls and stunlock you while 2 of the copies heal the rest. From my perspective with just my newbie gear and no other players joining my game it seems like a total trash design.

It's otherwise been a very fun game though. It has a cool occult sci-fi vibe with great lore. Reminds me a bit of The Secret World in that respect.
That boss shares a single health bar among the 8 copies and there's a bunch of explosive pods around the arena - if you can light all 8 copies on fire at once the health bar takes 8x damage. Same goes for landing a couple really big charged hits on more than one copy at once. The copies that heal the others stop after 1-2 good shots.

It's a boss that really relies on a good execution and shines in the MP, and can stop a run cold for a bit while learning the patterns solo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Stickman posted:

Just hit the Frozen Wilds in Horizon Zero Dawn. I can forgive a lot of the port's sins - crashing every half hour, broken anisotropic filtering, jittery cutscene animations on high-refresh montors - but disabling snow deformation? That just makes me sad :smith:

Weirdly enough the snow deformation works if you're wearing the shieldweaver armor.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

if you go to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders you can make a second steam library on your D drive. then you can move anything installed on your C drive to it by right clicking the game in the library -> Properties -> Local files -> Move install folder.

Sweet, thanks.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
I tell you one thing Steam doesn't do; sneakily download and install the Halo Masterchief Collection without asking for approval even once. Just to be a perfect rear end in a top hat, Windows also decided to leave the entire extraneous installation package lying around under the normally inaccessible WindowsApps folder. No wonder I lost 60Gb of space over night. Only took me a few minutes to fix things, but still. If this happens to someone with a strict monthly data cap...

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Quill posted:

I tell you one thing Steam doesn't do; sneakily download and install the Halo Masterchief Collection without asking for approval even once. Just to be a perfect rear end in a top hat, Windows also decided to leave the entire extraneous installation package lying around under the normally inaccessible WindowsApps folder. No wonder I lost 60Gb of space over night. Only took me a few minutes to fix things, but still. If this happens to someone with a strict monthly data cap...

I have a lot of things set to "only update when I manually tell it to", but then for completely arbitrary reasons will a few days/week later just randomly start downloading it. And I have no idea why.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How is Forza Horizon 3 compared to 4? 3 looks to be heavily discounted atm, RM39 for me vs 4's RM117.

I'm in Malaysia, so no official access to Game Pass I feel, hence why I am considering it. I am considering getting it for fast fast zoom zoom pretty car customisation with crashing as bonus if it's available.

EDIT: I have decided to YOLO Forza 3 with all DLCs because that's still about only 2/3rds of 4's base game price...

Artelier fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 15, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Dackel posted:

I have a lot of things set to "only update when I manually tell it to", but then for completely arbitrary reasons will a few days/week later just randomly start downloading it. And I have no idea why.

Because MS feel like they just know better than people what they need, so its ok to constantly and arbitrarily take away their ability to control things.

Why yes, I am still salty about win10 only letting me delay updates, how did you guess?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kibayasu posted:

After getting Remnant for free on EGS and playing through the first dungeon I have to say that making the first boss a rushing melee enemy combined with suicide bomber trash is certainly a choice.

I was stuck on this until he got stuck in some part of the geometry.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I encountered this boss too in the 'not campaign' mode and just gave up.

I think the game is ok, but I really don't like the way it auto-levels every 'new' level, making every item upgrade feel pointless because all of the monsters just grow stronger. Newbie tip: Upgrade all of your equipment (including your armor!) at the same rate since the game will spawn new levels at your highest level of equipment. Also, don't 'reroll' the campaign expecting it to be easier because it will just level up the monsters with you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think the game is ok, but I really don't like the way it auto-levels every 'new' level, making every item upgrade feel pointless because all of the monsters just grow stronger. Newbie tip: Upgrade all of your equipment (including your armor!) at the same rate since the game will spawn new levels at your highest level of equipment. Also, don't 'reroll' the campaign expecting it to be easier because it will just level up the monsters with you.
It will actually spawn enemies at your highest equipment level and new gear at your average equipment level, so it's even shittier design than you thought it was. If you level up only part of your equipment, you will not only get shittier new stuff, but enemies will be that much stronger proportionally.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Weirdly enough the snow deformation works if you're wearing the shieldweaver armor.

It’s seriously amazing how hosed this port is. If it ran badly for everyone, or if snow deformation didn’t work at all, I could at least understand what’s going on.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Does that mean that the snow will probably get fixed?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Does that mean that the snow will probably get fixed?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some misplaced variable right now causing SnowTrail=0 or something equally ridiculous.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I was stuck on this until he got stuck in some part of the geometry.

I encountered this boss too in the 'not campaign' mode and just gave up.

I’m a bit confused at what the options for
the campaign are actually supposed to do - reroll, adventure, etc - but I’m just ignoring it for now.

Someone mentioned earlier that it feels like boss fights were designed around coop and not scaled back for solo at all and after the church quasi-boss fight I am beginning to see their point.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's probably my most played game this year and I've only touched it single player to try out the roguelike mode, whatever that's called.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah my friends and I stopped last night at the boss fight with the big fire dragon.. thing.. and I remarked how loving impossible that fight must be without help. As a group we struggled with the adds so much that we didn't beat the fight yet because we kept getting killed either by the adds or by the boss while we were dealing with the adds. If they don't change the amount of spawns during a boss fight then holy poo poo good luck.

On an unrelated note, what's the status of Civ 6 these days? Is it good enough with the expansions to be about where Civ 5 was once it got it's expansions?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

On an unrelated note, what's the status of Civ 6 these days? Is it good enough with the expansions to be about where Civ 5 was once it got it's expansions?
The AI is still poo poo.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Remnant is much harder in the beginning before you get any good spells or weapons. Once you get a summon or two and much more interesting guns you are able to solo bosses with ease. I personally think the game is sort of a slog in the beginning because of the boring apocolyptic city environment and lack of variety when it comes to your arsenal. I had a blast going through the rest of the game after the first act though. Soon you'll be summoning explosive heat seeking beetles and machine gun turrets while you launch fireballs out of your smg.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I refunded Elite: Dangerous because I found the flight controls unintuitive.

However, I keep getting drawn back to the game. I'd like to buy it again on sale and stick it out this time.

Does Steam get annoyed when you refund a game and then buy it again when it's on sale? Does it track that sort of behavior? I've only ever refunded one other game (No Man's Sky on launch).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

resting bort face posted:

I refunded Elite: Dangerous because I found the flight controls unintuitive.

However, I keep getting drawn back to the game. I'd like to buy it again on sale and stick it out this time.

Does Steam get annoyed when you refund a game and then buy it again when it's on sale? Does it track that sort of behavior? I've only ever refunded one other game (No Man's Sky on launch).

I don't think so, it mostly only seems to care if you do a lot of refunds within a relatively short amount of time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you do too many refunds in a short time you lose the ability to filter Anime, Visual Novel, and Sexual Content tags

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They will start giving you a "you have refunded a lot of games recently, maybe read reviews first before buying things you doofus" message, but I don't think it actually does anything.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

They will start giving you a "you have refunded a lot of games recently, maybe read reviews first before buying things you doofus" message, but I don't think it actually does anything.

They do not enforce the threat of taking away your ability to refund, no.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Cool, thanks

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The relevant small print in this situation is you get 2 hours lifetime on a SKU until its no longer refundable so if you played to the limit the first time around, you're going to end up owning it for good in a few minutes.

If you start refunding a bunch they start sandbagging and waiting till the policy limit (like up to 2 weeks from request?) and/or refunding CC purchases to your Steam wallet unless you further pitch a fit to get the CC refund. But thats like churning through 5 refunds a week sort of bullshit.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Factorio looks cool but did they think that Notch was a good reference to have on their Steam page? :gonk:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Folks, I want to do some trucking, some hauling, some moving of goods from one place to another, preferably at my own pace, or let me choose the route.

I've played plenty of Elite: Dangerous, Euro Truck Simulator, (a bit of) American Truck Simulator, and the Rebel Galaxy Games.

I'm in the mood for something more simmy. I only just upgraded my ship in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, but trading doesn't work super well, and it's all very low quantities of items. I loved trading in Elite: Dangerous, but the almost constant threat of Elite ships (once you get high rank) just makes it a tedium. Plus I have just about everything I want.

I'm mildly considering Snowrunners, but after watching gameplay, I realize it's less driving and more about fighting nature, and winches. Holy poo poo, winches. Also, there seems to be a limited amount of jobs in Snowrunner, which would cut down on the replayability, so I'll just wait until a discount.

So, besides the aforementioned games, are there games I should look at? Or should I stick with what I have? Obviously, open to other platforms besides Steam.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Morter posted:

Folks, I want to do some trucking, some hauling, some moving of goods from one place to another, preferably at my own pace, or let me choose the route.

I've played plenty of Elite: Dangerous, Euro Truck Simulator, (a bit of) American Truck Simulator, and the Rebel Galaxy Games.

I'm in the mood for something more simmy. I only just upgraded my ship in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, but trading doesn't work super well, and it's all very low quantities of items. I loved trading in Elite: Dangerous, but the almost constant threat of Elite ships (once you get high rank) just makes it a tedium. Plus I have just about everything I want.

I'm mildly considering Snowrunners, but after watching gameplay, I realize it's less driving and more about fighting nature, and winches. Holy poo poo, winches. Also, there seems to be a limited amount of jobs in Snowrunner, which would cut down on the replayability, so I'll just wait until a discount.

So, besides the aforementioned games, are there games I should look at? Or should I stick with what I have? Obviously, open to other platforms besides Steam.

I know precisely jack and poo poo about them, but perhaps X3 or (if it has improved and has a modding community built around it by now) X4?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Factorio looks cool but did they think that Notch was a good reference to have on their Steam page? :gonk:

Most people don't know him as the weirdo alone in a mansion with a bubble gum machine and dubious political statements. He's the guy who made minecraft, that game a lot of people love, so if he loves this and I love minecraft then I'll love this too.

It's more sensible than the quote attributed simply to "Reddit."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is the story mode in The Long Dark worth playing? I finished Chapter 1 and I'm guessing I'm a decent way into Chapter 2 (just finished with the dam) and I'm kind of over everything the game is doing.

Especially these hidden supply caches where I spend 45 minutes slowly trudging across the map only to find a dusty can of beans, then spraining my ankle because I walked slightly uphill.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 15, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Morter posted:

I found the Farming Simulator games scratched that itch for me. There is a lot to do in the base game and an insane amount of amazing mods available that are very well supported.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Morter posted:

I will say this about Snowrunner, replayability shouldn't be a concern. There's four maps in each of the three countries in the base game, I'm ~35 hours into the game and haven't even completed all the missions in the very first country yet but am getting close. I really only saw the first map of the second country for a bit to find some unlocks and went back to finish the first so I have three whole maps in the second country I haven't seen yet, and haven't even tried anything in the third country yet. There is a ton to do and they just released a new DLC too that adds another area with two maps to see. That said, if the thought of getting stuck in the mud and winching yourself out turns you off then stay far away because there are winches o' plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Morter posted:

Death Stranding