Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
A Half Life VR game coming out before SC is still the most wonderful of things :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
LoL I watched some Star Citizen again, cause of a German mag article (Gamestar, the mag with the most rabid SC believers). I have been out of the loop for a while....so they took in 15 mill in May 2020 alone, selling the Idris and Javelin, none of them flyable? Isn't the Idris in the production pipeline since 2012?

The whole capital ship sales pitch is mind boggling, there is not a single game in existence that properly simulates a space capital ship that you can walk in, has complex subsystems that can be operated by the player in a multiplayer environment and that has npcs going about their jobs and reacting to combat damage and battle situations.

Creating a game that has a single capital ship operating on such a level would likely require the resources of a triple A game and several years of development. It's all so weird by now.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:reddit: So I bought some subscriber-store glasses...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

This is patently not true. The internet we have today is driven by mass media and mass commerce. There is no paucity of that data. I want to buy your secondhand ship that you advertised, is the bread and butter of data running. The game is planned to have the equivalents of Youtube, Amazon and Ebay. We know of Sharrington Cross and Epulae Dining at least, there will likely be more. There is also passenger services and the adverting / payments / booking of those. There will be databases that track players and their activity, their criminality for example. If you commit a crime in one system that data will be carried to other local database systems and so you may be able to keep in front of your criminal record, that is the reason for bounty hunters, it is unlikely there will be a shortage of that information.

People insist to think of the PU as merely trading and fighting.. it's not going to be that way. There will be tourism and local annual events - Sporting events like Murray Cup to stream around the verse. The Opera House on Mars to go see. Fashion Week at Prime on Terra II. Politics and local factional rivalries all of this information streamed around the verse day by day, perhaps even hour by hour. We know we can buy property in the game, apartments, houses etc. How do you find out about these being available and local price fluctuations? Advertising. We see it already in the game now, they go to the trouble of making ship adverts for sales. Right now it is static, but it won't be in the future.

The reason for data runners is because Chris decreed there is no FTL transmission from system to system. Data has to be physically carried through jump gates and only transmitted by comms relays once it has arrived in system. Ships will carry information for interpersonal transactions (the mail), mas media, mass commerce, the news, intelligence gathering etc The list is endless, it has nothing to do with scarcity it has everything to do with perceived value.

The Reliant MAKO News Van is clearly telling us that not only will CIG be adding to the constant stream of data piles, but players will be too. Not all cameras will be attached to ships. All that info scrolling on the screens at the local TDD will have to be manually hauled just like mail bags of old on the pony express. The one thing we can be sure there will never be a shortage of anywhere, is data.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Pixelate posted:

It's a trap!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Has anybody explained to the backers that "data running" is moronic?

Guess what guys? Even if there is no FTL data transmission in the "verse" light speed is still way faster than any of you dumb ships. B-b-but wormhole jumps, you say? Having a goddamn relay station next to a wormhole that simply receives the beamed data and then sends a data package to a station on the other side of the wormhole is still a billion times faster, cheaper, and more convenient than some dildo-shaped "data runner" taking 2 hours to reach anywhere of importance.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trucutru posted:

Guess what guys? Even if there is no FTL data transmission in the "verse" light speed is still way faster than any of you dumb ships. B-b-but wormhole jumps, you say? Having a goddamn relay station next to a wormhole that simply receives the beamed data and then sends a data package to a station on the other side of the wormhole is still a billion times faster, cheaper, and more convenient than some dildo-shaped "data runner" taking 2 hours to reach anywhere of importance.

Yes but I need to send my friends these space JPEGs

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Hammerstein posted:

Creating a game that has a single capital ship operating on such a level would likely require the resources of a triple A game and several years of development. It's all so weird by now.

I would absolutely play the capital ship management game, but you're forgetting the original promise - they don't need NPCs because players who weren't faithful enough will mop your capship floors for a wage in the hopes that they too can someday own a spaceship. You'll also need supplies and fuel, so you'll need space gas station attendants who have that same dream. Capable pilots will be eager to sign up to to work for you and man your fighters just to get a taste of what ship ownership is like. They'll all envy you and wish they had the the vision to burn invest a couple grand in 2013.

trucutru posted:

Tedium equals fidelity. Other games tend to abstract that out, which is why I only purchase games from bears men of true vision.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Mailer posted:

I would absolutely play the capital ship management game, but you're forgetting the original promise - they don't need NPCs because players who weren't faithful enough will mop your capship floors for a wage in the hopes that they too can someday own a spaceship. You'll also need supplies and fuel, so you'll need space gas station attendants who have that same dream. Capable pilots will be eager to sign up to to work for you and man your fighters just to get a taste of what ship ownership is like. They'll all envy you and wish they had the the vision to burn invest a couple grand in 2013.

How many bought a Javelin cause they thought there will be space girls they can invite to the captain's quarters...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerstein posted:

How many bought a Javelin cause they thought there will be space girls they can invite to the captain's quarters...

You're thinking about the Jump 890. The Javelin is for the people that thought there will be space men they can invite to the captain's quarters.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trucutru posted:

Still missing the most important point - why would I need all that when I can stream it all on Twitch in real time and beat all news van ships?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

This is patently not true. The internet we have today is driven by mass media and mass commerce. There is no paucity of that data. I want to buy your secondhand ship that you advertised, is the bread and butter of data running. The game is planned to have the equivalents of Youtube, Amazon and Ebay. We know of Sharrington Cross and Epulae Dining at least, there will likely be more. There is also passenger services and the adverting / payments / booking of those. There will be databases that track players and their activity, their criminality for example. If you commit a crime in one system that data will be carried to other local database systems and so you may be able to keep in front of your criminal record, that is the reason for bounty hunters, it is unlikely there will be a shortage of that information.

People insist to think of the PU as merely trading and fighting.. it's not going to be that way. There will be tourism and local annual events - Sporting events like Murray Cup to stream around the verse. The Opera House on Mars to go see. Fashion Week at Prime on Terra II. Politics and local factional rivalries all of this information streamed around the verse day by day, perhaps even hour by hour. We know we can buy property in the game, apartments, houses etc. How do you find out about these being available and local price fluctuations? Advertising. We see it already in the game now, they go to the trouble of making ship adverts for sales. Right now it is static, but it won't be in the future.

The reason for data runners is because Chris decreed there is no FTL transmission from system to system. Data has to be physically carried through jump gates and only transmitted by comms relays once it has arrived in system. Ships will carry information for interpersonal transactions (the mail), mas media, mass commerce, the news, intelligence gathering etc The list is endless, it has nothing to do with scarcity it has everything to do with perceived value.

The Reliant MAKO News Van is clearly telling us that not only will CIG be adding to the constant stream of data piles, but players will be too. Not all cameras will be attached to ships. All that info scrolling on the screens at the local TDD will have to be manually hauled just like mail bags of old on the pony express. The one thing we can be sure there will never be a shortage of anywhere, is data.

HaHaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA, COUGH, SNORT, haAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WigglyValuableCatfish-mobile.mp4

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What kind of dog is this?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

tuo posted:

Flemish Giant Snuggle Bunny Doggo

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Backend looks like a corgi. I'm a backend expert

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Hammerstein posted:

LoL I watched some Star Citizen again, cause of a German mag article (Gamestar, the mag with the most rabid SC believers). I have been out of the loop for a while....so they took in 15 mill in May 2020 alone, selling the Idris and Javelin, none of them flyable? Isn't the Idris in the production pipeline since 2012?

The whole capital ship sales pitch is mind boggling, there is not a single game in existence that properly simulates a space capital ship that you can walk in, has complex subsystems that can be operated by the player in a multiplayer environment and that has npcs going about their jobs and reacting to combat damage and battle situations.

I think a game like that could be really good, but it would have to be only that stuff. Properly designed it would be rather unique, even if it didn't hold mass appeal. I can't think of a company less capable than CIG.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

tuo posted:

Backend looks like a corgi. I'm a backend expert

In all honesty it may very well be lying on top of a corgi.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Pixelate posted:

Flying with the frogs is it now

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

Those ones that always smell like pee.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

More fun facts here
[/quote]

quote:

@CIG_ChadMcKinney

We have a multithreaded update system for the components in addition to asynchronous and threaded spawning. Our engine is the most multithreaded game engine I've seen, especially on the game code side. If you look at other popular engines like Unreal and Unity their main game loop is still single threaded. Mike Acton is working hard to change that for Unity with the push on the Data Oriented Tech Stack (DOTS) which I'm happy to see, but for now that's more of a growing alternative than the main way that people use their engine.

Can anyone with any experience of Unity/Unreal confirm or deny this?

I'm not a veteran video game developer but both claims (1. CI not G's Cryengine/Lumberyard Frankenstein engine is highly multithreaded, 2. Unity/Unreal are poorly or not multithreaded) don't really pass the smell test for me...

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shazback posted:

More fun facts here

Can anyone with any experience of Unity/Unreal confirm or deny this?

I'm not a veteran video game developer but both claims (1. CI not G's Cryengine/Lumberyard Frankenstein engine is highly multithreaded, 2. Unity/Unreal are poorly or not multithreaded) don't really pass the smell test for me...

Not sure how you'd multithread a single loop to begin with, that seems silly to me. If one loop iteration runs, but the other doesn't and you'd pass it to another thread, you'll be getting whole lot of pointless issues.

What UE4 and newer do instead is run rendering in a separate thread ( https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Programming/Rendering/ThreadedRendering/index.html ), which is IMO much more reasonable approach, because you keep stuff (and bugs!) separate, while getting increased performance.

It's the usual CI development - they try to reinvent wheel, then run into stuff everyone else already encountered, call themselves revolutionaries and settle for a fraction of the performance of competition's solutions.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Shazback posted:

don't really pass the smell test for me...

Do you smell toast? Are you sneering? Show me your credentials, you are a filthy FUDster I know this first hand, give up, your cause is futile

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

trucutru posted:

Those ones that always smell like pee.

Mephedrone?????

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Mirificus posted:

quote:

1) Lol at any of these made up things ever happening
2) News and events will be "streamed around the 'verse" 24/7 but also it's faster for data to be physically carted around like in an 80s cyberpunk novel.

Also:

quote:

Space mailmen confirmed.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

:downs:

trucutru posted:

It totally makes sense!! Just like having manned turrets or still having a human being mopping floors instead of a roomba!!

All because... uh, because... uh... ~sweats and starts waving his hands around~

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:reddit: Why artificial gravity plates are silly :)

https://i.imgur.com/y3WGIof.mp4

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It totally makes sense!! Just like having manned turrets or still having a human being mopping floors instead of a roomba!!
This is only really an issue because Star Citizen has some weird fetish for realism within its future fantasy ww2 in space. In actuality all the human tasks are something a good designer would put in since everything being automated would probably obviate most of the potential "game".

Granted this is the thread where a serious goon will tell you exactly how combat in space is going to go, which is really great and awesome when you realize we're not even entirely certain how ancient combat worked.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Shazback posted:

Wasn’t there an update ages ago where the release notes included “lots of thread synchronization added way more stable yay!” or something to that effect? Because that 100% tracks with having lots of threads with interactions that you didn’t think through. There’s also fantastic odds that it’ll bite you on performance, so it really does sound like a classic CIG “solution”.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Pixelate posted:

:reddit: Why artificial gravity plates are silly :)

https://i.imgur.com/y3WGIof.mp4

Is that motion capture taking directly from David Bowie in Labyrinth?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
The amount of ~dreams~ write-ups coming out of the community is really breathtaking.
If you take every feature that at least one commando is SURE is coming, the totality would collapse croberts' wavy hands into some kind of singularity as he tried to describe them all.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

we're not even entirely certain how ancient combat worked.

Age of Empires taught me enough so yeah, give me 20 hopilites and a crate to go

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Wasn’t there an update ages ago where the release notes included “lots of thread synchronization added way more stable yay!” or something to that effect? Because that 100% tracks with having lots of threads with interactions that you didn’t think through. There’s also fantastic odds that it’ll bite you on performance, so it really does sound like a classic CIG “solution”.

So they built their engine around a buzzword / in-hype method and ignored all of the work that showed the limits of this approach, only to try to correct it in the most superficial and least effective manner?

Now that's something I can believe!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
God dammit I’m just so easily pleased...

'when I put my paladin headphones it deforme on my personage'

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
DRINKING FAILURES

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

- Buy bottle of water at casaba
- Get locked into animation while buying that makes bottle teleport into and out of hand
- get stuck in animation
- Buy second bottle
- Bottle teleports into right hand
- Drink bottle while it's in right hand with left hand while left hand inverts it's own wrist drinking from open hand in thin air with wrist twisted completely around

ACTUAL RESULT

fail successfully at drinking water while animation freak out hands get twisted around into the most painful imaginable positions while phantom bottle stuck in other hand magically replenishes thirst.

EXPECTED RESULT

Pick the bottle up like a normal human, not having to buy it twice while it converts me into a temporary spaghettification victim until i give in to it's demands and buy a second bottle to be released, then drink that water with my hands without it snapping my wrists in half or replenishing my thirst from nothing while the bottle merges with my right hand while i drink it with my left. You know like I wasn't part of some seriously badly planned video game logic that even todd howard would be ashamed of.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Are thirst mechanics a thing now? I am so out of touch with this poo poo.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sunswipe posted:

Are thirst mechanics a thing now? I am so out of touch with this poo poo.

Oh hell yeah. Toilet gameplay is only a matter of time.

Sometimes vendors aren’t able to sell drinks for some reason, so certain players are just dehydrating to death perpetually...

DYING OF DEHYDRATION, UNABLE TO BUY DRINKS OR FORCE RESPAWN

UNABLE TO BUY FOOD OR WATER

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

In case anyone is wondering what bnbl is up to these days unmute this gif

https://i.imgur.com/QFoGCMF.gifv

that otter ... we need more of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

I wonder what they’ll break instead if they ever fix this

CHARACTER HAUNTED BY FREELANCER COMPONENTS

Looks like some bad aftermath of "your player becomes the ship".