Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Is there a good video somewhere on installing disc brakes and getting them aligned so they don’t rub? All I have found is medium advice and I can’t get them aligned right. It doesn’t help that the instructions are in a language I don’t speak and I can’t figure out if I’m using the correct screws that came in the bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't know if I'm just being lovely while pumping but I'm having problems where the rubber valve in the core will get jammed/out of position and require me to carefully unscrew it to let air out before removing the core and unjamming it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't know if I'm just being lovely while pumping but I'm having problems where the rubber valve in the core will get jammed/out of position and require me to carefully unscrew it to let air out before removing the core and unjamming it.

That's weird. I've never run in to that issue, and it's not like I'm picky about only using fancy tubes or something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bicievino posted:

That's weird. I've never run in to that issue, and it's not like I'm picky about only using fancy tubes or something.

Both of these issues have been with the same brand of tube so I'm going with "never buy 'rubbers' brand tubes again"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Time posted:

Is there a good video somewhere on installing disc brakes and getting them aligned so they don’t rub? All I have found is medium advice and I can’t get them aligned right. It doesn’t help that the instructions are in a language I don’t speak and I can’t figure out if I’m using the correct screws that came in the bag

Which calipers and bolts do you have? I find the ones with cupped spherical washers to be really hard to get perfect. I think the most important tip is that as you secure the caliper to target torque, the caliper tends to shift in a somewhat predictable direction, so you’ll want to cancel out that shift by placing the caliper in the opposite direction.

I usually try to get one bolt semi tight (just barely hand tweakable) and centered, and then turn the shifting problem to just the other bolt. You can hold that loose end with your fingers to try to slow down the shift as you torque down.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
That's loving weird. Are you using a lovely pump?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

nm posted:

That's loving weird. Are you using a lovely pump?

It's cheap but it's Topeak, which I've never really had issues with, and it's definitely only on the tubes I installed.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
It's been gloomy and chilly all day.

It was drizzly with stiff headwinds for half of my ride.

I've been feeling tired and crappy all week.

I was sitting there eating a snack and minding my own business when a yellowjacket buzzed up out of nowhere and stung me on the back of the neck.

No hot coffee, hot chocolate, or hot dogs because the little snack hut I saw was closed (thanks for nothing Santa).

But I still got to ride my bike today so I'm happy.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Has anyone here widened their q factor for a reason other than knee pain? I might mess around with it but I'd be interested in hearing some anecdotes before I start experimenting.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I did it on one frame I was building up, as I have big feet and ride heel in. On this particular frame right heel was whacking the chainstay on the way up each time, making me twist my foot which made my knee hurt.

Anyway I widened the q-factor using a mountain bike crank and bb. I can't remember the increase in mm but it was significant and solved my problem.

E. I guess that isn't really another reason other than knee pain but maybe it will be helpful?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah it is I appreciate the response! I'm mostly concerned with back pain or potentially rocking as a cause. I have a theory where moving my leg in a too narrow manor is frying some small lower back muscle or leading to a pattern that fries it anyway. I'll inevitably have to see a fitter again but I'm just building up all the knowledge I can.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are you out of adjustment with the cleats and not considering longer pedal spindles?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah out on cleats. I was considering spindles. I have Assiomas and I had thought there was a reason you shouldn't or couldn't do that. But this is all experimental based on a fit I had probably near a year ago where it was suggested I increase q factor + on going back pain.

I need to go back there, but I've been wary of going anywhere since c19.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I rode today, and took some pictures as requested.

It was about 12 miles total, 4 miles of pavement, 5ish of paved and gravel pathways, rest single track.

Here is my 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS in all of it's extremely original glory. I put clipless pedals on it, replaced the front wheel twice (I ran over it both times) and have changed one shifter cable.

The roads are boring but mostly have bike lanes which is nice

This then leads to the nice paved trail:

Which goes to gravel path:

And to some nice pleasant single track:

Which led to some not pleasant single track:

Shortly after that photo the trail went to poo poo for me, I hit several steep downhills I didn't feel safe with, so I took my bike for a walk for a couple hundred feet. I later fell and ate poo poo when my wheel got stuck under an exposed root and scraped up my calf a bit. I definitely bit off more than I could chew on my last trail. In hindsight, I shouldn't explore new trails while I'm that tired. Eventually I got back on the nice pathway, and took that back to the roads, and back to home.

I need new tires, tubes, and to replace the rest of the cables I think. I don't know if that's all worth it because of how old the bike is, but I have it, and it mostly works, so it seems a waste to not do at least some upkeep, even if only to have it as a knockaround bike. I also want to buy some of those fancy shorts with rear end padding, because my taint hurts now. I had a loving blast.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The cheapest way to see if it works is just get some 20mm pedal spacers.
Make sure you get the right ones if your pedal doesn't have flats.

I use them, but for knee pain. (I also use MTB pedals for everything, so limited adjustment)

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

kimbo305 posted:

Which calipers and bolts do you have? I find the ones with cupped spherical washers to be really hard to get perfect. I think the most important tip is that as you secure the caliper to target torque, the caliper tends to shift in a somewhat predictable direction, so you’ll want to cancel out that shift by placing the caliper in the opposite direction.

I usually try to get one bolt semi tight (just barely hand tweakable) and centered, and then turn the shifting problem to just the other bolt. You can hold that loose end with your fingers to try to slow down the shift as you torque down.

I appreciate the help but I still can’t get it to align no matter what. I guess I need to support a local bike shop in the morning

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm looking for help on dealing with toe numbness. Bike fitting isn't available right now for obvious reasons. Noticing the numbness after just 20-25 minutes, obviously it's summer so weather can be a factor, but it happens in intense heat as it does if it's 75 degrees or something. My first step was to move my cleats to the back - they had been in in the middle position as that's where the person at the store put them, but moving them back didn't help at all (it might actually have made it a bit worse). however it did improve the process of clipping in and out.

Other things that I thought might be causing issues besides the front/back position of the cleat:

1) sock thickness - I do have a few pairs of socks like this

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/bellwether-fusion-socks-pr3e19162/p?skuId=8018747

they are somewhat thick. things I noticed

a) I tried having the shoe on looser to compensate; no noticeable effect
b) my left foot is about 1/2 inch shorter than the right foot, and that feels the same. I am also currently wearing a compression sock on my right leg and foot. I figured if something as small as sock thickness was an issue, that I would notice the effect more on my right foot vs. left foot.

2) seat height - could this be related? perhaps my seat has slid down a bit over time so I should check that.

3) heat - perhaps just a heat compression issue? ways to alleviate? I don't think this is something that has happened in cooler weather.

thanks, here is the bottom of my shoes with cleats in the bottom position. before this i had them about 1/4 inch higher.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Are you sure those shoes aren’t too small, or that you have them too tight?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Are you sure those shoes aren’t too small, or that you have them too tight?

that was another thought - they are size 13, but my sneakers are size 11.5, and my sneakers are actually a bit longer than these so :wtc:

the sizing was what the person at the LBS fit me for. I can try having the velcro straps at the bottom be even looser - the top strap I already have as loose I can with it still sticking.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Today I have ridden bicycles. 63 miles and only two stops for beers.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Korwen posted:

I need new tires, tubes, and to replace the rest of the cables I think. I don't know if that's all worth it because of how old the bike is, but I have it, and it mostly works, so it seems a waste to not do at least some upkeep, even if only to have it as a knockaround bike. I also want to buy some of those fancy shorts with rear end padding, because my taint hurts now. I had a loving blast.

I think your bike is cool, thanks for sharing. Don't worry about age - you should feel comfortable putting a little bit of money into it if you like it overall. Knockaround bikes are awesome. Tires, tubes, cables if you need them (do you actually need them?), all of that is fine to do. Getting some bar ends to have more hand positions is another cheap upgrade worth considering, though by no means necessary if you're not experiencing any discomfort.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

also I think my seat is too low, please forgive the grandma leg as I had vein surgery. But this is with the pedal in the 6 o'clock position and my leg is bent a decent amount.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Korwen posted:

And to some nice pleasant single track:

Is that just dried mud/dirt? Neat climate.

Time posted:

I appreciate the help but I still can’t get it to align no matter what. I guess I need to support a local bike shop in the morning

Are you having trouble both front and back? It could be that the mount itself is slightly askew, and needs to be faced/cleaned up to let your caliper sit flush.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Here's the angle after moving the seat up like 1/2-5/8" which gives me a very slight knee angle, might need to revert a bit but not much.

i can have someone get a pic from further back if it helps (?)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

also I think my seat is too low, please forgive the grandma leg as I had vein surgery. But this is with the pedal in the 6 o'clock position and my leg is bent a decent amount.

It's hard to tell from this pic. Would it be possible to shoot video of the whole leg while you're leaned against the wall, pedaling backwards smoothly (if you don't have a trainer).

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

It's hard to tell from this pic. Would it be possible to shoot video of the whole leg while you're leaned against the wall, pedaling backwards smoothly (if you don't have a trainer).

yeah I'll try to get my neighbor to help me out and post a short video, thanks!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I rode some good dick today, even got a KOM (and tied two other KOMs)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

hey here's the video

https://imgur.com/a/0vWrNVH

I'm also realizing that my leg isn't extending as much as I can; I'm sure my pedaling form is pretty bad

here's a pic of my leg with that same seat height from further back

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Ouch. Your saddle looks too high. Also try with the crank in line with the seat post, not vertical.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

that was another thought - they are size 13, but my sneakers are size 11.5, and my sneakers are actually a bit longer than these so :wtc:

the sizing was what the person at the LBS fit me for. I can try having the velcro straps at the bottom be even looser - the top strap I already have as loose I can with it still sticking.
Bigger shoes. They solved this issue for me, even though my shoes allegedly fit. You feet swell a bit. Try something a half size bigger.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Ouch. Your saddle looks too high. Also try with the crank in line with the seat post, not vertical.

yeah i prob increased it too much. maybe in between the two positions is the sweet spot?

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Unless you're riding in bare feet, put on the shoes or ride with for the photo or its all a bit pointless

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

simmyb posted:

Unless you're riding in bare feet, put on the shoes or ride with for the photo or its all a bit pointless

Ah good point my bad, I'll try again tomorrow!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

hey here's the video

https://imgur.com/a/0vWrNVH

I'm also realizing that my leg isn't extending as much as I can; I'm sure my pedaling form is pretty bad

here's a pic of my leg with that same seat height from further back

Doesn't too bad, though the bike seems maybe a size too small. What height are you, and what size is the bike?

Measure your cycling inseam:

multiply by 0.883, and compare to the distance from the center of the cranks to the top of the seat where you sit. Just as a starting point.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Doesn't too bad, though the bike seems maybe a size too small. What height are you, and what size is the bike?

Measure your cycling inseam:

multiply by 0.883, and compare to the distance from the center of the cranks to the top of the seat where you sit. Just as a starting point.

it's a 55; i'm 6'1". i have a friend who is super into bikes, used to race and also work in a shop and he advised me on the sizing so hopefully he didn't mess up :p

after laughing at that picture for a while, I estimated by inseam using a level and measuring tape as they did to be about 33.5, so *.833 would be between 29.6. the distance from the center of the crank to the top of the seat after moving it down slightly from that pic is about 29.5, and in the pic you quoted the distance is probably like 29.8.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 16, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So is 29.6 higher or lower than where you started out today? If higher, try that out.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am liking the Road Bike, but i'm looking to eventually upgrade to a All-Road or Gravel Bike.
Still i am a newbie and all poo poo. If i stay road biking should i get biking shoes and poo poo?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

ElMaligno posted:

I am liking the Road Bike, but i'm looking to eventually upgrade to a All-Road or Gravel Bike.
Still i am a newbie and all poo poo. If i stay road biking should i get biking shoes and poo poo?

You don't need them but they're nice to have if you really get into it. Full kit is very comfortable once you get used to it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

So is 29.6 higher or lower than where you started out today? If higher, try that out.

higher, if I go back to the position I have been biking in this whole time, that's like 28.75-29.

I'm getting the impression that that difference has more of an effect than I might think.

do you think I should still keep the cleats in the farthest back position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Try to vary one thing at a time. A few miles in each configuration at least. If nothing’s bothering you, ride it for longer. But size could be an issue, certainly.

For seat height, half an inch will likely be noticeably different. Your quads might feel less strain. If you’re fitting yourself, make adjustments 5mm at a time for seat height.