Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

cmdrk posted:

so i think i've asked this before but i would love to hear yall's thoughts on this.

if you were challenged to make a MMO *without* RPG mechanics (because they've been done to death), what would you make? what genres haven't been MMOified yet? what's the essential essence of an MMO anyhow?

i am so goddamn sick of games assuming i have only 3 MAYBE 4 friends. especially games that fancy themselves as e-sports and therefore must include a match-maker, ELO, and no more than 10 or 12 players in the game.

Farming sim. Stardew Valley, but an MMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cmdrk posted:

so i think i've asked this before but i would love to hear yall's thoughts on this.

if you were challenged to make a MMO *without* RPG mechanics (because they've been done to death), what would you make? what genres haven't been MMOified yet? what's the essential essence of an MMO anyhow?

i am so goddamn sick of games assuming i have only 3 MAYBE 4 friends. especially games that fancy themselves as e-sports and therefore must include a match-maker, ELO, and no more than 10 or 12 players in the game.

Industry and transport games like Transport Fever

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i like the ideas you guy have keep em comin.i'm furiously setting up kickstarters right now. chris roberts aint got poo poo on me.

but for real, good poo poo. i think MMOFPSes have been done a few times, Planetside obv comes to mind. I haven't really thought of Destiny as an MMO but it definitely seems representative of the modern incarnation of the genre.

i think a MMO industry/transport/economic sim could be a thing. i guess that makes me think of something like A Tale in the Desert to some extent, not sure if that's what you meant. likewise, a MMO Farming Sim plays a lot of those same notes in my head. the latest Animal crossing has some thing where people can trade or some poo poo right? I could definitely see that being a whole MMO.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Honestly I think something like Metal Gear Online would be cool. Like each "realm" is just one giant base and people sign up for different factions and just stealth their way throughout the area killing anybody from a rival faction they see.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I would play the poo poo out of an espionage MMO but I have no idea how you'd even begin to make one that was satisfying for everyone involved.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I would play the poo poo out of an espionage MMO but I have no idea how you'd even begin to make one that was satisfying for everyone involved.

99.9% of players don't realize it's an espionage MMO.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I realize that the only good MMO is FFXIV and the reason I play other MMOs is because there’s not enough FFXIV to play.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

I realize that the only good MMO is FFXIV and the reason I play other MMOs is because there’s not enough FFXIV to play.

Runescape fills in the gap for me

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mmo fighting game. raids consist of everyone doing sick combo strings while avoiding the boss's shoryuken

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

An action-rpg style MMO would be rad as hell too but it would never get made. Like Souls-style combat would be so cool in a large scale raid setting with truly imposing bosses.

It honestly doesn't seem like it would be a huge next step up from something like Warframe design-wise, but I guess then your progress gets tied to skill instead of just making numbers go up, which is probably an unsustainable model when new content gets bled dry within like a week of launch on every major MMO.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Jazerus posted:

mmo fighting game. raids consist of everyone doing sick combo strings while avoiding the boss's shoryuken

An action-rpg style MMO would be rad as hell too but it would never get made. Like Souls-style combat would be so cool in a large scale raid setting with truly imposing bosses.

Yes to both of these.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

cmdrk posted:

99.9% of players don't realize it's an espionage MMO.

I also have played Eve Online

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FileNotFound posted:

P2W in a pvp mmo though is generally a massive turn off for the US market - unless it's mobile - because then people will spend 20k a year on it for some drat reason.

otoh, i love p2w games because dunking on some dumbass whale with your 10 friends repeatedly never feels old. this was double satisfying in eve, where idiots ebayed some billion isk battleships and then got clowned out of them 20 seconds after undocking

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah it'd be this. Back in the MMO heydey my dream was one with twitch combat and no leveling treadmill. Shadowbane was cool but its biggest weakness was it was still married to having to level and if you were high enough level you'd just clown on newer people as the other poster said.

My MMOFPS dream would be APB as an FPS and also good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a lot of people leave a game instantly if there's nothing to grind towards so you end with a dead game tho.

otherwise i'd agree

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah it'd be this. Back in the MMO heydey my dream was one with twitch combat and no leveling treadmill. Shadowbane was cool but its biggest weakness was it was still married to having to level and if you were high enough level you'd just clown on newer people as the other poster said.

My MMOFPS dream would be APB as an FPS and also good.

APB was amazing... in concept.

My friend and I role-played blaxsploitation-esque buddy cops. We got a mission to arrest some bad guys, who happened to be players with a KKK-themed van covered in confederate flags and swastikas. We took them out with non-lethal weapons (which were incredibly annoying as I recall, both because they were hard to use and because the person hit by them were stun-locked and humiliated :smuggo:) and arrested them.

I also made bank in beta on selling in-game tshirts with custom logos on them, mostly ripped off of various DC superhero logos. Green Lantern shirts etc.

Fully customizable cars, player apparel, etc was incredible and a huge mistake. I can't believe they had had any pretense of thinking players wouldn't do racist poo poo with it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
That cancelled 2001 battletech mmo. There was supposed to be galactic conquest and I don't think it had levels.

MWO tried to do something sort of like galaxy conquest but it sucked.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

That cancelled 2001 battletech mmo. There was supposed to be galactic conquest and I don't think it had levels.

MWO tried to do something sort of like galaxy conquest but it sucked.

That MMO was finished too and was literally ready to launch within a few days. I never did see the full story, if there is one, into why the game was canned.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

thetoughestbean posted:

Farming sim. Stardew Valley, but an MMO

A Tale in the Desert is pretty old now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Are there any MMOs with actual fun, smaller-scale PvP anymore? I hate the gigantic zerg pile stuff that pretty much every game seems to have committed to now - the scale of it is cool as a novelty but it just feels so mindless and homogenized after a while, and it never actually feels like you are contributing to anything in a meaningful sense. The first Guild Wars was pretty much perfect for me in this regard, between having the smaller and very intimate PvP arenas and the larger guild battles that still had an actual sense of camaraderie and teamwork because it was limited to your guildmates and individual players could change the tide of a fight.

My ideal game is basically a big MMO that is actually fun both solo and in group play with an option for good, varied PvP, but that seems to just...not exist.

This is how shadowbane worked and why I wasn't a fan of GW2 or WAR - both of them had enormous forces fighting over static stuff.
I think the only way to make it small scale is let the players be small scale, defending their own cities and etc. And encouraging random fighting in the overall world, rather than fighting over those static objectives.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Truga posted:

a lot of people leave a game instantly if there's nothing to grind towards so you end with a dead game tho.

otherwise i'd agree

I somewhat disagree with this. People need to feel like they are progressing, but it doesn't have to necessarily be a loot grind thing, it can just be a skill thing. I mean people played Counter Strike Source for approximately six millenia without anything like loot.

Issue is that most MMOs rely on gear score as a substitute for a system where you can actually get better at playing, so loot grind is all that there is. Once you get to the point where you effectively plateau on skill it just comes down to large scale socialization and organization which drives off the casual players.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

bewilderment posted:

A Tale in the Desert is pretty old now.

And I still wish they would go free to play.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

And I still wish they would go free to play.

true that.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Holy crap ATITD is still $12+/m

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

jokes posted:

I played a good amount of FFXIV and never encountered a reason to talk to another person. Even running the dungeons was basically like doing your own thing with a bunch of NPCs. It's a fun game, it's better designed than most MMOs for sure, and the story is pretty cool but it barely feels like an MMO unless you're into endgame raiding. I found that the relative lack of difficulty in most content makes it a little more cliquey as well. You don't necessarily need other people, so the bar for meeting and connecting with others is set a bit higher. Maybe a good thing considering how obnoxious other MMO players can be.

During the handful of hours I've played of classic WoW this week I've already met more new people and interacted in more meaningful ways than the hundreds of hours of I played of FFXIV. There's a real benefit to helping other people out, even if you're not necessarily doing the same thing. Like the other night I ran into someone questing at Fenris Keep. He was on the elite quest and I was doing something else, but we still grouped up to help each other out because the it's a difficult area to navigate by yourself. I ended up getting some decent gear out of it and completing my quest and I invited him to my guild a little later. We weren't able to finish his thing, but it was cool because just running around shooting the poo poo with someone new and killing things is fun. That kind of spontaneous interaction never really happened to me in FFXIV.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if I haven't played WoW retail since like, the first expansion

is it worth bothering

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
No

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

eonwe posted:

is it worth bothering

The answer is no but if your alternative is you're going to bounce around other terrible MMOs then yes, but remember the real answer is still no.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ty for stopping me in my moment of weakness

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

they're trying to minmax subscription revenue in the dumbest ways possible and this expansion is difficult to catch up in, wait for the expansion in a few months and the answer will change from "lol no" to "uh..maybe?"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

eonwe posted:

if I haven't played ffxiv retail since like, the first expansion

is it worth bothering

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

yes, actually. I think they finally squished the terrible MSQ and once you get into expansion territory the game is pretty baller

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

eonwe posted:

is it worth bothering

i'm gonna say 'maybe' and it depends on what you want out of it? i wouldn't tell anyone to go play it and run up to the end game right now. but if you want to explore the world and see the poo poo they've added since BC then yeah why not. the overarching story of Warcraft right now is hot garbage, but there's a lot of enjoyment to be had in the stories for individual zones. there's some interesting dungeon content too. you could do a lot worse than loving with it for a month casually.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Carmant posted:

I played a good amount of FFXIV and never encountered a reason to talk to another person. Even running the dungeons was basically like doing your own thing with a bunch of NPCs. It's a fun game, it's better designed than most MMOs for sure, and the story is pretty cool but it barely feels like an MMO unless you're into endgame raiding.

I played through the first 30 levels and yeah it felt like a single player game with a bunch of people in it.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

eonwe posted:

is it worth bothering

The prepatch for Shadowlands will be out fairly soon (a month maybe?) and that's going to be as good a time as any to jump back in. Once the patch is out levels will be squished from 1-50 and you will be able to pick an expansion at the beginning of the game and level up solely in that expansion (don't pick BFA it's trash).

Shadowlands also seems like it might actually be a good expansion. But that's also what I thought about BFA prior to release and, as I said earlier, it ended up being pretty bad.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Carmant posted:

The prepatch for Shadowlands will be out fairly soon (a month maybe?) and that's going to be as good a time as any to jump back in. Once the patch is out levels will be squished from 1-50 and you will be able to pick an expansion at the beginning of the game and level up solely in that expansion (don't pick BFA it's trash).

Shadowlands also seems like it might actually be a good expansion. But that's also what I thought about BFA prior to release and, as I said earlier, it ended up being pretty bad.

I believe that if you’re new/it’s your first character, you need to level to 50 in BfA.

As for FFXIV feeling like a single player game with other people in it, that’s actually what drew me in in the first place. I like that I can just go do stuff by myself. If you content that demands playing with other people, there’s Eureka, the kind of throwback to FFXI

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

thetoughestbean posted:

I believe that if you’re new/it’s your first character, you need to level to 50 in BfA.

Yeah now that you mention it you're right. God knows why they did that. It's not like the WoW story has ever been coherent and BfA questing was an absolute drag.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Final Fantasy XIV becomes more social when you get further into the game. The dungeons and trials become much less brainless and require actual team coordination, and you'll start going to trading hotspots to get stuff or run across FATES that require multiple people. I will concur that the game certainly isn't the most player interaction heavy MMO, but that's both its biggest strength and weakness.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Final Fantasy XIV becomes more social when you get further into the game. The dungeons and trials become much less brainless and require actual team coordination, and you'll start going to trading hotspots to get stuff or run across FATES that require multiple people. I will concur that the game certainly isn't the most player interaction heavy MMO, but that's both its biggest strength and weakness.

Is it just me, or do a fairly significant amount of the "difficulty" in bosses just come from the number of times that the boss decides to one hit kill the entire group, or something roughly resembling dodging repeatedly one shot kills and nothing else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Is it just me, or do a fairly significant amount of the "difficulty" in bosses just come from the number of times that the boss decides to one hit kill the entire group, or something roughly resembling dodging repeatedly one shot kills and nothing else?

I can only think of one boss in particular who does this (the last boss of the first wave of Coil raids).