Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurking Haro posted:

Kissanime is also down.
Yeah according to the site owners copyright holders went after the servers themselves, the site owners said it's gone and not coming back. km had become obsolete imo and super sketch anyways, so it's not a super big loss, though not letting people get their bookmarks sucks.

Polsy posted:

The RSS won't do too much for you unfortunately since it only includes the ones on the page you're looking at. This userscript seems fine, though - the output is formatted like a MAL export though I haven't tried actually using it as one.
Thanks! Anything that lets me just have a list of series saved to a text file even is fine, without having to manually copy it all down since I've got like a thousand series in my bookmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
kissmanga was still kind of the go-to if you needed what wasn't on mangadex. you'll have to scour through the junk piles now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBwLJWcTBaE

Free's movie is set for 2021 after being delayed due to....yeah.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lurking Haro posted:

Kissanime is also down.

Correction, Kissanime is officially dead along with Kissmanga (though Kissasian, Kimcartoon, and unaffiliated sites like 9anime and GoGoanime appear to still be fine). Anybody know of any other decent anime streaming sites besides those two (and Crunchyroll of course though they don’t have quite the selection as a lot of the unofficial ones do)?

Looking it up, apparently Japan has tightened its piracy laws recently so it’s possible a lot of other unofficial anime streaming sites might not be far behind.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 15, 2020

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yeah I'd say less than any specific cause leading to a loss of prominence for shows like Haurhi I think thats just a mechanic of time. Also feel like what we watch burns faster now than it did 10 years ago in terms of how long it stays in the zeitgeist, maybe because theres more out, I wouldn't know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

More out and more being available to the average western consumer. When haruhi got huge maybe half the shows airing per season were being translated, and people were only aware of half of those. These days even casual fans have access to every new show and can easily google whats coming out

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda crazy to think that between Hulu and Netflix* now new younger fans can just look at a pretty decent chunk of popular older shows either dubbed or with not terrible subtitles, thinking about it.

*yeah Crunchyroll is a thing too but idk how many twelve year olds can buy a subscription as opposed to just watching Naruto on your family Netflix account

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah it's a combination of everything being available in english now and way more 1-cour shows

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Haruhi lost prominence because it's a bad show and zoomers have better taste than millenials do.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

which 00s animes are zoomers watching instead

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
pani poni dash, el cazador de la bruja, kashimashi and strawberry panic

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they watch the nagato yuki show instead

just like they only watch the tenchi series that was created for tourism purposes

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've been rewatching a lot of "comfort food" anime from the last few years save for The King of the Cavern/Gankutsuou. Also reading Tytania.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GorfZaplen posted:

Haruhi lost prominence because it's a bad show and zoomers have better taste than millenials do.

The Colonel posted:

pani poni dash, el cazador de la bruja, kashimashi and strawberry panic

checks out, op

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

apparently kissmanga exploded a few hours ago, I doubt anyone still used it but it does make me wonder if there is a method to back up bookmarks on mangadex easily, like an export option or anything, just so I've got a list of series if I need it if mangadex also explodes

I've been using mangago's lists and tagging features to keep track of not only what I'm reading but what I've read in the past plus ratings, content tags, and even whether or not they're licensed and/or if I bought them and I'm going to be so bummed when they eventually get nuked and I lose all of that. I have no idea how I'd preserve it either, other than transferring it all manually to a spreadsheet or something and I've got like 3k titles on there if I combined everything so that's a little more work than I really want to tackle.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world but it means never hearing anything but Black Serena III instead of Go Aestevalis or You Get to Burning.

It also means Gai is never around. gently caress I guess I should just replay J.
*100 waves of reinforcements later* "I should not have replayed J"

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 15, 2020

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Please tell me if the new vtubers do something cute or funny. thank u.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

which 00s animes are zoomers watching instead

Haibane renmei

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

:hr:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Haibane renmei

good

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

for starters disappearance basically resolved every emotional and plot thread that had been established in a satisfactory way

thats why the novels after disappearance have to suddenly introduce a bunch of new characters

I'd say if anything it's more of a simpsons thing where you're like "...It's still going?"

Not that it is now, but I mean, when it was.

Endorph posted:

More out and more being available to the average western consumer. When haruhi got huge maybe half the shows airing per season were being translated, and people were only aware of half of those. These days even casual fans have access to every new show and can easily google whats coming out

I'd imagine when most of the people who are here first got into anime, people told them there's a list of "much watch shows" on whatever genre they really liked because there was only like, five good ones.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 15, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

It’s kinda crazy to think that between Hulu and Netflix* now new younger fans can just look at a pretty decent chunk of popular older shows either dubbed or with not terrible subtitles, thinking about it.

Not if you live anywhere outside of the US. All of the streaming sites have absolute loving trash catalogues worldwide.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But more importantly, it's 2020, and you know what that means?

https://twitter.com/hanae0626/status/1294462983184117760?s=20

Share some cute loving cats, people.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wark Say posted:

But more importantly, it's 2020, and you know what that means?

https://twitter.com/OutofVTubers/status/1291944424801353728

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
here is Frankenstein and her baby Fig

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cats are ok but im relaly allergic. :(

I'm allergic to dogs too but not so much I can't own one of those.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I fell off that one when it took the coward's way out.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i picked it up last week when it started the smug eyebrows senpai route

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Conan O'Brien is a perfect human

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Droyer posted:

You mean the hero's way out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Droyer posted:

I'd say the coward's way is the ambiguous ending or the Harem ending. This is sorta similar to those but at least it's more entertaining this way.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I never read We Never Learn but I do kinda respect the meta-chutzpah of the author just going "well poo poo it's my story and I can write/draw whatever I want, so I'm just gonna write every possible variation of the ending until I get bored"

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Droyer posted:

what is it?

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd say the coward's way is the ambiguous ending or the Harem ending. This is sorta similar to those but at least it's more entertaining this way.

harem is the best ending because then you can wonder how it pans out in 10 years when the sex gets old.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Acerbatus posted:

what is it?

There's five main girls. After one of them "won," with an epilogue and everything, that chapter ends on "1/5."

Basically, each girl is getting their own ending story, lasting about 10 chapters each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Acerbatus posted:

what is it?

There was a definitive character that "won", but instead of just ending the series after that, there have been a bunch of "What If?" arcs showing the other characters succeeding in getting the relationship instead. I'm personally fine with it as it's essentially just supplimentary material you can ignore, but for some people it makes them angry that the Author couldn't just commit to only one ending. :shrug: