Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

No, you can't. That was overturned last year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...s/#49c3671442b7

Police need a warrant, full stop, to get into your phone.
That didn't overturn poo poo outside of the Northern District of California. Hell, there was a ruling last loving month in the Eastern District of Kentucky that says the opposite. Until the U.S. Supreme Court hands something down, your poo poo is not safe behind mere biometric protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

That metric doesn't mean anything - what's your screen on time?

I... Just told you I came from another phone and now getting battery life that's basically X x 0.5. I knew 120hz wouldn't come cheap but jeez

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thanatosian posted:

That didn't overturn poo poo outside of the Northern District of California.

That's not how federal court works.

True that things won't be fully decided until the supreme court weighs in, but a federal court ruling when it comes to a constitutional issue isn't bound by the locality that it was made in.

Can you reference the case you were talking about? I haven't seen it.

One other thing to note is the NJ supreme court has ruled that a warrant can compel you to give up your pin or password regardless. Now, that's a state court so it only affects NJ, but could be cited in a federal case or be appealed to the supreme court to decide.

At any rate, Android allows you to add a lockout to the power button that disables biometrics and people should utilize that in situations where they feel they may be asked for or coerced to use biometrics.

You are also likely to end up in jail regardless if you are asked to unlock a device by law enforcement and refuse, no matter how it is locked.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 14, 2020

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

At any rate, Android allows you to add a lockout to the power button that disables biometrics and people should utilize that in situations where they feel they may be asked for or coerced to use biometrics.

I wish they'd add an option to make Lockdown mode also trigger audio/video recording

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't have any particular reason to be concerned about the contents of my phone, but how do you use that lockout? I'm actually not sure where I would find it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Search for lockdown in settings and you should find the option to add it to the power menu.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's a language thing, which is why I'm having a bit of difficulty with that... oh well, I'll figure it out. It can't be that hard to find.

e: ah, I have it. Thanks.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
A good rule of thumb is don't have content that could get you in trouble with the law on your phone. Whatever the courts decide will not stop a bad state actor from coercing access to your phone if they want it bad enough.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

That's why I hide all my illegal stuff in a folder titled Not Crimes

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

XIII posted:

That's why I hide all my illegal stuff in a folder titled Not Crimes

Mine is "NoPermissionGivenToSearchThisDeviceCopyAndShare". Bill Gates' lawyer said that's how to do it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Desk Lamp posted:

A good rule of thumb is don't have content that could get you in trouble with the law on your phone. Whatever the courts decide will not stop a bad state actor from coercing access to your phone if they want it bad enough.

Maybe just don't do illegal stuff? It's kept me out of jail for nearly 40 years quite nicely.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Maybe just don't do illegal stuff?

lmao

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Maybe just don't do illegal stuff? It's kept me out of jail for nearly 40 years quite nicely.

Holy poo poo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah, because being a good upstanding citizen deters every cop alive from being an rear end in a top hat to you.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If you never leave your house, your chances of being arrested drop to nearly zero :mmmsmug:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

yeah, for sure, for sure.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

oh golly gosh :allears:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Maybe just don't do illegal stuff?

Yeah ok nerd

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So from Google there's Duo and Meet. Based on random talk, here we go again apparently...

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Combat Pretzel posted:

So from Google there's Duo and Meet. Based on random talk, here we go again apparently...

Meets only for calendared events, duo is for quick calls! How hard can this be
- some google jabroni

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This was an incredibly stupid post, you're an utter moron, also everyone stop this derail, thanks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hope you all didn't like Duo or get your family members on it.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/15/google-duo-may-eventually-be-phased-out-in-favor-of-google-meet/

Google literally is the little kid trying to copy their older siblings. Rumor is they're doing this because people seem to like Zoom.

They're wrong. No one likes Zoom. People use Zoom because Zoom jumped on the "everyone at home" bandwagon and celebs promote it on TV daily. Meanwhile, it's a broken security, bug-ridden shitpile.

With how Google loves to kill things, this is probably 100% true even if they claim it's not in an official blog post.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Rare moment of clarity:

Could it be that Google doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing? No, its the drat isheep who are wrong.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Man it feels like there are absolutely no grown-ups left in charge at Google whatsoever.

ThermoPhysical posted:

With how Google loves to kill things,

I feel this is a symptom of their overall wider problem, which is having absolutely no coherent vision or overall purpose whatsoever.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
How many different Google apps could I use to send a "Hello world" notification to someone's phone?

Meet
YouTube
Hangouts
Google Voice
Google Chat
Gmail
Stadia

What else?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hope you all didn't like Duo or get your family members on it.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/15/google-duo-may-eventually-be-phased-out-in-favor-of-google-meet/

Google literally is the little kid trying to copy their older siblings. Rumor is they're doing this because people seem to like Zoom.

They're wrong. No one likes Zoom. People use Zoom because Zoom jumped on the "everyone at home" bandwagon and celebs promote it on TV daily. Meanwhile, it's a broken security, bug-ridden shitpile.

With how Google loves to kill things, this is probably 100% true even if they claim it's not in an official blog post.

I like Zoom. It's way better than the Skype my office was using before. Before Zoom half a meeting was spent trying to help some non-tech person figure out why they can't hear/see anyone or why everyone can't see/hear them.

It's totally worth China scoping out our boring meetings and baby showers.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My family is mostly still using hangouts happily. When they merge hangouts into something else it will be rough.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Google simultaneously has too many chat apps, but is damned if they ever get rid of one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gobbeldygook posted:

How many different Google apps could I use to send a "Hello world" notification to someone's phone?

Meet
YouTube
Hangouts
Google Voice
Google Chat
Gmail
Stadia

What else?
Photos

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

This was an incredibly stupid post, you're an utter moron, also everyone stop this derail, thanks.

Crikey. There was me thinking I was about to get another title on the forums.

Back to phone talk, has anyone gone from a Pixel 3 to a Galaxy S20 and found much difference in responsiveness and fluidity? My Pixel 1 and 2 devices were lovely and fluent in use. Pixel 3 had a lot of jank and memory management issues with Android Pie, that got dramatically better with Android 10.

I'm hoping with the faster SoC and storage on the Galaxy that it would be on par with Pixels these days.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
After they announced they were getting rid of Hangouts, all my friends and I jumped to Discord. I just use Texts with my family and it is what it is. At this point I'm trying to get as far away from Google Apps as I can.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

While we are on the gently caress Google train, gently caress them for getting rid of Google Play Music. YouTube Music blows. Riding it out until it is officially gone then I'll figure out what streaming service I'll use.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Burden posted:

While we are on the gently caress Google train, gently caress them for getting rid of Google Play Music. YouTube Music blows. Riding it out until it is officially gone then I'll figure out what streaming service I'll use.

Same. I tried switching to Amazon Music which I'd used many years before, but they've removed the ability to have your own library of uploaded music. So what's the point?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ahahahahaha.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Burden posted:

Yeah, but Google said they're working hard to address all the current issues people keep complaining about.

Actually who am I kidding. I wanted to say that those morons had like two years time to do so, and instead failed because they were dragging their balls in what I presume is disinterest or mismanagement. But then I've looked up the release date of YTM, and it's loving November 2015.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I reluctantly switched from Play Music to YouTube music to keep my $8 a month grandfathered pricing. Its mostly been fine, but the thing that absolutely goddamn infuriates me right now is that it won't shuffle the Your Likes auto playlist in Android Auto. Shuffle button does gently caress all and had me yelling at Google on the highway today.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Switch to Spotify. It's what I did years ago and it's been almost great, no more google music garbage.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, but Google said they're working hard to address all the current issues people keep complaining about.

Actually who am I kidding. I wanted to say that those morons had like two years time to do so, and instead failed because they were dragging their balls in what I presume is disinterest or mismanagement. But then I've looked up the release date of YTM, and it's loving November 2015.

Hey, my wife didn't have a cast button in her YTM, then updated the app and it was there, progress!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

CLAM DOWN posted:

Switch to Spotify. It's what I did years ago and it's been almost great, no more google music garbage.

I've thought about it, but at this point I view that $8 as for ad-free Youtube with a side of music. If they ever split that off I'm out, but until then I'll deal with bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Bandire posted:

I reluctantly switched from Play Music to YouTube music to keep my $8 a month grandfathered pricing. Its mostly been fine, but the thing that absolutely goddamn infuriates me right now is that it won't shuffle the Your Likes auto playlist in Android Auto. Shuffle button does gently caress all and had me yelling at Google on the highway today.

For me it combined my likes from GPM and YT. I don't want that. Now I have a bunch of Howard Stern song parodies that I liked and non music stuff that I have liked in the past that I don't want in my music library mixed together and it is driving me nuts. I want my music to be my music and my YouTube to be my YouTube. I don't want them mixed.