Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve just booked a couple of days off for LAD’s currently given yet somehow never officially confirmed launch date so I’m sorry to inform you all that it’s definitely going to be delayed now that I’m locked in for time off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

They should keep it in english in the localization with Ichiban still being unable to understand.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Peragus posted:

They should keep it in english in the localization with Ichiban still being unable to understand.

They probably will. That’s how it worked for the subtitled titles with random English speaking characters.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Finished Dead Souls and honestly I loved it, big stupid fun game which I choose to accept as fully canonical

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Shintaro Kazama passed away

https://twitter.com/outcastmarc/status/1294227447173570561

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:( RIP Kazama

To cheer us all up, Sega's put 6 of Kiryu karaoke's up on Spotify. https://open.spotify.com/album/1F4S1ywUKiPmgbg66qw1Xj

No Kamurocho Lullaby though :(

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 14, 2020

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

:( RIP Kazama

To cheer us all up, Sega's put 6 of Kiryu karaoke's up on Spotify. https://open.spotify.com/album/1F4S1ywUKiPmgbg66qw1Xj

No Kamurocho Lullaby though :(

That’s been up since at least the release of Y7 in Japan. :v: There’s also a Majima album, one for the 7 crew, and another one for some other folks like Akiyama, Saejima and Yuki.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Imagine having a music service that has a solid 10000000 songs on it but the only ones you actually need are the Yakuza karaokes.

Good times.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fuckin' loved this dude. :(

Since this thread is of course full of people who love the Yakuza games, it's worth pointing out that in addition to voicing Shintaro Kazama, in the 60s he was in a six film series called Outlaw where he plays a character that's basically Kiryu and Majima at the same time, Goro the Black Dagger (due to his killing people with a tanto like Goro has :P), an infamously feared assassin who finally gets out of jail and hates the ways of the Yakuza but is forever drawn into Yakuza bullshit. The locations are cool and it follows the typical Yakuza movie locations and stuff. I think anyone that likes the games would dig them overall. IIRC they're all on Prime/etc. streaming thanks to Arrow re-releasing them a few years ago.

Outlaw: Gangster VIP
Outlaw: Gangster VIP 2
Outlaw: Heartless
Outlaw: Goro the Assassin
Outlaw: Black Dagger
Outlaw: Kill!

Anyway there's six of these movies but like with the Yakuza games you'll probably burn out if you do them all in order because each one has a similar plot and also has several actors return from film to film to play similar but different characters. Like one woman plays his girlfriend in one movie and an unrelated love interest in a different movie, etc. Every one begins with him rolling into a new neighborhood to start a new life but of course that doesn't happen and so every one ends with him badly wounded and wandering away.

The original one is of course a must-watch, and the sequel is cool too but I dig them all.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

was there a specific thread for Judgment somewhere (I’ve only been able to find the LP) or was it just folded into this thread? I picked it up in the PSN sale and have been playing it as a palette cleanser for Y5, I’m really digging it early on despite it being mostly on rails, so I get the feeling I’m going to loving love it once it opens up

I refuse to play any game not developed by Ryu Ga Gotoku studios! Don’t even talk to me about other games!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It was just in this thread, I don't think the series is quite yet big enough to warrant enough activity with new releases to have new games get their own thread yet. The game takes a little while to let you off the leash, but once you does, its wonderful. It stumbles in a few places here and there, but overall, its in my top 3 RGG games.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ProbablyTTMR/status/1292160463287934978

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

For me Judgment is 0/2 tier. Cream of the Yakuza crop.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

man nurse posted:

For me Judgment is 0/2 tier. Cream of the Yakuza crop.

I can't quite put it there because of how bad some of the tailing missions are and how prevalent they are. If those were reworked I could easily put it there, but as is, it is an A-Tier Yakuza not an S Tier Yakuza

edit-That and no Karaoke.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Judgement has the best final boss of the whole series

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Grundma posted:

I would agree with this. It also edges out 4 for the "getting the team together to kick some rear end" moment.

And most importantly, Kiryu never rode a skateboard.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Grundma posted:

:yeah:

the reveal of Kuroiwa as the Mole was a great moment, right there with finding out Makoto was the owner of the Empty Lot

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Madmarker posted:

I can't quite put it there because of how bad some of the tailing missions are and how prevalent they are. If those were reworked I could easily put it there, but as is, it is an A-Tier Yakuza not an S Tier Yakuza

edit-That and no Karaoke.

The tailing missions and the final series of drone races needed to unlock the pass for the VR thing being virtually impossible are what knock it down for me.

Lack of karaoke doesn’t bother me. It’s me, the Yakuza player who never does karaoke unless a substory makes him.

I think that speaks for how much loving stuff there is to do in these games that I can totally skip one most people’s favourite things and still sink close to 100 hours into any given entry.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Mortal wounds suck, the fighting styles are not well balanced, flux fissure is great against trash but not much else, the tailing missions are terrible, the new wall jump combat flat out doesn't work, and yagami isnt buffoonish enough. Way too slow early. But yes the final fight whips rear end and so does the culmination of the side stories

Oh and the gang stuff is terrible to the point you ignore it, and if you engage with it on on hard difficulties it's brutally damaging and you can die to the boss in one gunshot then have to redo a ton of it

Drops it from S tier of 0/2/6 to the A tier of 4/5

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finally played a bit more of Yakuza 3 and the games so far are three for four of 'girl experiences something traumatic and loses one of her random senses'. This time she's a mute!

Anyway, I'm enjoying island-dad Kiryu despite the archaic combat and somehow even more limited item box.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
judgement was great when it adhered to the yakuza format and not so great when it tried any new gameplay ideas.

also, i gave up on unlocking the last few side cases (which require max city rep) when i found out that one of the friends requires winning at mahjong.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well gently caress. Guess I have to finally get good at mahjong, cause I really like the side cases and most of the friend stuff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I thought the mahjong friendship was very easy, as someone who never engaged with mahjong previously.

You only had to win one hand (rather than a whole game) with a particular condition that was RNG’d onto you, so it was just a question of the stars aligning more than anything else.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Going through Yakuzas 3-5, just beat 4. Was curious enough, got Judgment, and while it seems amazing what the gently caress is this hud. Map is straight up unreadable! I’m guessing there’s no way to fix it? Small font with white letters on often bright orange is so hard to look at

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grundma posted:

That entire fight and the way it's intercut with other stuff going on and how they tie stuff together at the end was outstanding. Yakuza 7 looks loving awesome but I hope we get another game or two with real time fighting because that entire endgame was above and beyond for the series.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Going through Yakuzas 3-5, just beat 4. Was curious enough, got Judgment, and while it seems amazing what the gently caress is this hud. Map is straight up unreadable! I’m guessing there’s no way to fix it? Small font with white letters on often bright orange is so hard to look at

I had the same problem, I'm slightly colorblind and it's insanely bad. They outdesigned themselves trying to stylize everything to look like phone app stuff. The worst is when you set a way point, I can BARELY see the green path on the map. Basically that and the tailing missions are the only thing that hurt the game to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/gerald_awo/status/1294735720620466177?s=21

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Yakuza 4 spoiler: Akiyama’s hidden vault with no security whatsoever is the funniest thing. My dude, ever heard of locks?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Magic Mango posted:

Yakuza 4 spoiler: Akiyama’s hidden vault with no security whatsoever is the funniest thing. My dude, ever heard of locks?

Ehhh but then you have to install them and remember a key or a code or whatever? sounds like effort.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

I had the same problem, I'm slightly colorblind and it's insanely bad. They outdesigned themselves trying to stylize everything to look like phone app stuff. The worst is when you set a way point, I can BARELY see the green path on the map. Basically that and the tailing missions are the only thing that hurt the game to me.

Yeah, I'm not even colorblind, and it's godawful. They also use smaller subtitle font, or maybe thinner black outline, so sometimes subs are hard to read. Still, I'm more interested in this game than Yakuza 5 at this point, so I'll keep going.
Y4 was neat, definitely better than Y3 in terms of side content and humor, but I'm not sure about multiple characters deal. Yakuza's always been about doing what you want at any given point, so seeing it go from that to "You can only do certain things during one part and right at the end" hurt the game for me. Also, that cop dude was super boring.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm going through 4 now and I'm still in Akiyama's section, just for that reason. Want to finish everything I could before I won't be able to.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Vookatos posted:

Also, that cop dude was super boring.

Tanimura as a character is kind of ehhh, but he has two things going over Shinada: 4 has much more solid narrative coherence, so his backstory is a major part of the overall plot. More importantly, Shinada's viability in combat is heavily reliant on weapons and grapples, so he really suffers in the Coliseum where he can't rely on either.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The only problem with tanimura was everyone telling you how great you are at mahjong and then you play it and don't get any help at all from the game

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Beat K1 after having a blast with Y0 last year, glad I didn't listen to all the people insisting that you should skip it and go straight to K2. Yeah it's a bit less then Y0 but just play it on easy to play to get through the story and max out the health/damage+ skills asap and combat is almost trivial by chapter 7/8.

Now I'm emotionally invested in Kiryu and need to play K2 to make sure he continues helping people and never killing anyone.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Started K2 after finishing K1 a week ago or so.

Goddamn, K2 starts with way bigger stakes than the others, and also it feels so weird after playing 0 and 1 back to back. i'm sure i'll get used to it, but i went from beating 0 and 1 on hard without much difficulty, to the game asking me if i wanted to switch to Easy on the second boss. :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tanimura's parry block was enjoyable.
Kiwami 1 is fun, it's definitely got that expansion pack feel to it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

pentyne posted:

Now I'm emotionally invested in Kiryu and need to play K2 to make sure he continues helping people and never killing anyone.

oh don't worry he doesn't kill a shitload of dudes in K2. he absolutely does not kill the absolute gently caress out of many people in that game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tanimura's parry block was enjoyable.

I remember a whole bunch of using that and not being able to capitalise on it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gort posted:

I remember a whole bunch of using that and not being able to capitalise on it.

Punch Amon, he parries, he immediately punches your back but wait your parry animation has fired off, now you parries him and can punch him into a wall combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Using Tanimura against anyone basically consists of: wait by a nice flat wall, parry them into the wall, do a full combo on them because they can't fight back after a wallbounce. Lather, rinse, repeat.