Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

100% guarantee these are going to be insanely easy to hack.

Assassination by bored script kiddie is going to be a thing that happens.

It's a guy in a suit. I guess you could hack him by offering more money? But a guy not encumbered by a huge cosplay suit would probably make a better assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I Probably should of watched the video before posting. Although I just did and that god drat annoying walking sound made me immediately regret it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lol.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's a guy in a suit. I guess you could hack him by offering more money?

tbh that probably is easier

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Incidentally, that is also how all hacking will be done in upcoming Fallout games.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, it's a human in a costume, so you can only "hack" it with a machete.

The real trouble is getting him through the metal detector at the consulate.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's a guy in a suit. I guess you could hack him by offering more money?

I've always wanted to see a realistic movie about hackers where the only tactics they need are 1) An email saying "This is the CEO, please reset my password" and 2) bribing disgruntled employees.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Chamale posted:

I've always wanted to see a realistic movie about hackers where the only tactics they need are 1) An email saying "This is the CEO, please reset my password" and 2) bribing disgruntled employees.

For a while the method China was using to "hack" US firms was poaching people and asking them grab as much IP as they could on the way out.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Stuxnet but it's defeated by the ceo cutting the it budget and other malware ends up loving with the government's.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I think I'm kind of on Epic's side here.

Don't get me wrong, they're every bit as lovely as Apple (well, Apple might be worse wrt sweatshop labor) but I think the outcome of Epic winning and dealing a blow to Apple's 30% take has to the potential to be better for smaller developers and consumers than Apple winning and strengthening that. I know that's not why Epic is doing this, but I think maybe they're the lesser evil in this fight.

Is there any possible way they could both lose?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Chamale posted:

The movie Blackhat had Chris Hemsworth stealing software from the NSA by spoofing a higher up's email and sending an infected PDF about password security. Not an especially realistic movie on the whole though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

T-man posted:

Stuxnet but it's defeated by the ceo cutting the it budget and other malware ends up loving with the government's.
When I was younger the family PC got hit by some hefty malware but teenage Splicer had already hosed up the windows install so badly from screwing around that the malware just threw a bunch of errors and crashed.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

I went to a seminar once from a Chinese research group that had a system like this except the reverse - a healthy (poor) person would wear a motion capturing exo skeleton that would one to one translate their movements to a motorized exoskeleton thereby allowing a disabled (rich) person to have movement restored. this was preradicalization but even at the time it was incredibly obvious who the tech was for

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Food Boner posted:

I went to a seminar once from a Chinese research group that had a system like this except the reverse - a healthy (poor) person would wear a motion capturing exo skeleton that would one to one translate their movements to a motorized exoskeleton thereby allowing a disabled (rich) person to have movement restored. this was preradicalization but even at the time it was incredibly obvious who the tech was for

just walk that bastard over the cliff, it’s not that hard

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/richiejfloyd/status/1294254780886519811

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

USA! USA! USA!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any possible way they could both lose?

A long series of inconclusive decisions that drag out for years of appeals.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Chamale posted:

In the hacking movie Sneakers they beat an advanced door lock by kicking in said door.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's a guy in a suit. I guess you could hack him by offering more money? But a guy not encumbered by a huge cosplay suit would probably make a better assassin.

The trick is to lure him around a corner with a coin then knock him out and wear the suit yourself.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The trick is to lure him around a corner with a coin then knock him out and wear the suit yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQthFDpYCys

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

In the hacking movie Sneakers they beat an advanced door lock by kicking in said door.

Which muscle groups need one focus on in order to maximise odds of defeating advanced door locks?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tubgoat posted:

Which muscle groups need one focus on in order to maximise odds of defeating advanced door locks?

your hands so you can hold the magnet you're using to trigger the open-the-door relay in the card reader

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

its all in the hips

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

blatman posted:

your hands so you can hold the magnet you're using to trigger the open-the-door relay in the card reader

It's not always that simple! Sometimes the magnets need to spin.

Or you can shim the lovely latch they attached the lock to I guess.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chamale posted:

In The Man from Nowhere, a pretty good Korean action movie, the cops catch on that the protagonist is a former secret agent, so they ask the Korean government for his file, and get told it's super classified and they can't see it. So they make a dummy email address with the guy's name on it and email the White House saying "MR PRESIDENT I AM COMING TO KILL YOU" and almost immediately get a request from the Secret Service to investigate the dude, then send that to the Korean government and get the file released.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dr_rat posted:

I Probably should of watched the video before posting. Although I just did and that god drat annoying walking sound made me immediately regret it.

Ur an moron =D

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG5vsPJ5Tos

That movie also had a part where they figure out where a guy who was kidnapped in the trunk of a car was taken based on the sounds he heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuIheGaiFLM

Siamang has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Aug 16, 2020

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

I read Kevin Mitnicks book. 95% of the hacking he did was calling the NOC or whatever telco equivalent and saying "Hi, I'm a tech on a job, and I need admin access"

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

that poo poo is no joke

i never did anything as stupid as “lol heres your new password” but i was a DBA and analysts/developers were _constantly_ direct email/chatting me to get extracts of data including Personally Identifiable Information that they werent cleared for

one quick cc to their boss and mine and they didn’t email me again

e: cleared in the sense that we had a shitload of elementary to middle school student info that was held safe, nothing tom clancy or whatever

goatsestretchgoals has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Aug 16, 2020

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

my fav story is still the one from like a decade ago of a couple guys walking into an australian government office with a fake work order and walking out with the department servers
you can convince people of almost anything if you have got on a hardhat and are carrying a clipboard

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

evobatman posted:

I read Kevin Mitnicks book. 95% of the hacking he did was calling the NOC or whatever telco equivalent and saying "Hi, I'm a tech on a job, and I need admin access"

Art of Deception? Yeah he did a good job of demystifying hacking. Hell I recall it wasn't just stories of his own stuff, like the biggest bank 'hacks' he described were all social engineering, and even had far more on site scoping and physical work than someone typing furiously into the command line, or designing some virus.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

Art of Deception? Yeah he did a good job of demystifying hacking. Hell I recall it wasn't just stories of his own stuff, like the biggest bank 'hacks' he described were all social engineering, and even had far more on site scoping and physical work than someone typing furiously into the command line, or designing some virus.

I'm sure some people have already seen this video, but it's still pretty appropriate for a cyberpunk thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnmcRTnTNC8

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I'm sure some people have already seen this video, but it's still pretty appropriate for a cyberpunk thread

Good stuff

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The podcast Darknet Diaries has some great episodes with pen tester interviews and stories

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

:haibrow:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1295186614327681028?s=21

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

the onion is really bizarre these days

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

burger king: have it your face

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
coincidentally, "un double steakhouse s'il vous plait" is also my order at the strip club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Breakfast All Day posted:

burger king: have it your face