Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I think you mean "poo poo song that is still cooler than anything in The Dresden Files since Skin Game".

Hell, Butcher thought referencing Shinedown's "45" was a good song to reference in Cold Days.

That is a poo poo song and the Fae wouldn't give a poo poo enough about mortal music to copy it. Makes no loving sense at all.

Actually isn't one of the things about the Fae that they can't really create anything original on their own, they can only copy/remix/repurpose stuff that mortals create?

As for "45" ehh, it's okay. Figure Mab would have preferred The Sound of Madness IMO.

Could have been worse. Could have been something from Nickleback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Everyone posted:

Actually isn't one of the things about the Fae that they can't really create anything original on their own, they can only copy/remix/repurpose stuff that mortals create?

As for "45" ehh, it's okay. Figure Mab would have preferred The Sound of Madness IMO.

Could have been worse. Could have been something from Nickleback.

If you're referencing Shinedown you might as well reference Nickelback.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

I think you mean "poo poo song that is still cooler than anything in The Dresden Files since Skin Game".

Being cooler than Peace talks isn't much of a bar to clear though :confused:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The best part of peace talks was learning Mab had a thing for Merlin.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Calidus posted:

The best part of peace talks was learning Mab had a thing for Merlin.

Anybody that didn't see that coming didn't pay any attention to literally any of the books prior to this one.

UntitledGuy
Nov 2, 2006

I am the Wind Waker.

It's Me.

Hell, Butcher thought referencing Shinedown's "45" was a good song to reference in Cold Days.

That is a poo poo song and the Fae wouldn't give a poo poo enough about mortal music to copy it. Makes no loving sense at all.

It's foreshadowing. One of the lyrics is "send a message to the unborn child", referencing Bonnie.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

UntitledGuy posted:

It's foreshadowing. One of the lyrics is "send a message to the unborn child", referencing Bonnie.

Except for the bit where it's "an orchestral remix" of the song with no lyrics.

UntitledGuy
Nov 2, 2006

I am the Wind Waker.

It's Me.

Except for the bit where it's "an orchestral remix" of the song with no lyrics.

It's still foreshadowing, even if it doesn't spell everything out for you.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

UntitledGuy posted:

It's still foreshadowing, even if it doesn't spell everything out for you.

Maybe if you disregard what the moron that wrote the song said the lyrics mean. The lyrics of that song don't make any sense as foreshadowing regarding the intellect spirit living in Dresden's head at the time (especially since not even Dresden seems to give much of a poo poo about her once she's out of his head, and her relevance as anything other than a drama plot point in Skin Game is pretty well over-done).

Foreshadowing in that book isn't even subtext at that level. It beats you over the head with plot points and references that make it impossible to not guess what is actually going on long before Harry's subconscious gives an exposition dump for the really dumb people reading the book.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Never heard of Shinedown before. Just scanned "45". Yeah, lame. I would expect the Fae to appreciate the talents of a virtuoso singer or instrumentalist, rather than a middle-of-the-road, power-rock ballad. They probably got tired of listening to the same Dead Can Dance albums, though, and wanted to mix it up.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

If you're referencing Shinedown you might as well reference Nickelback.

True. I still prefer Shinedown to Nickleback, though strippers seem to prefer the latter.

In terms of favored bands, I'm really liking Disturbed. While I was late to the party, their take on Sounds of Silence was just lovely.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Benedict Jacka dropped a post explaining that his latest "Ask Luna" bit would be a little delayed due to a London heat wave. So, he's still alive and either doesn't have or never had COVID.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Everyone posted:

Benedict Jacka dropped a post explaining that his latest "Ask Luna" bit would be a little delayed due to a London heat wave. So, he's still alive and either doesn't have or never had COVID.

It’s been really hot and sunny the past couple of weeks here in London (record breakingly so), but now that’s stopped, and we’re having a lovely cooler rainy period, which is much needed. The UK has developed a particularly nasty bit of climate in the last few years where it does this thing of being temperate (and sometimes even just cold) but humid. So you’re fine so long as there’s a breeze, but the moment it stops...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Peace talks stuff:

Did it feel like this was 1/6 of 6 different books or short stories that were forced together to anyone else?

We had:

1. The mystery of the attempted assassination of the svartalf leader,
2. White court, white council and grandpappy drama,
3. A meeting of the supernatural league of nations,
4. A prison break/heist,
5. A god threaten and somehow goku a bunch of other gods,
6. Knights of the cross combating some new world ending evil.

Literally a focus on any of those plots would have been a better book than the amalgamation of what seems to be 6 different short stories. I suspect this latest book might have been a desperation publish to just get something out before he loses a huge chunk of his audience.

From what I remember Butcher bragged about how this would be the most violent and intense book of the series and it certainly does not deliver. I really wanted more of the happenings at the accords meeting.

I also don't understand how some grand eye testicle was supposed to overpower all of the primordial forces of the universe. Doesn't Hades have anything to say about a titan getting out of tartarus?

This book was a bit of a letdown after waiting almost half a decade for it.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

That seems to be the killer here. It is a poo poo sandwich of a book, all setup no payoff. If this had come 18 months after Skin Game, we could deal with it better. But it hasn't been 18 months, it's been six years, it's not enough of a payoff. Battle Ground is going to have to be one hell of a payoff to make Peace Talks worth it.

E. It also doesn't help we've had six years to thoroughly deconstruct Butchers writing flaws and compare him against better authors. Peace Talks is pretty standard Dresden fare, just with a missing climax. We've just gotten older and become more critical in our tastes.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 16, 2020

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

rndmnmbr posted:

That seems to be the killer here. It is a poo poo sandwich of a book, all setup no payoff. If this had come 18 months after Skin Game, we could deal with it better. But it hasn't been 18 months, it's been six years, it's not enough of a payoff. Battle Ground is going to have to be one hell of a payoff to make Peace Talks worth it.

E. It also doesn't help we've had six years to thoroughly deconstruct Butchers writing flaws and compare him against better authors. Peace Talks is pretty standard Dresden fare, just with a missing climax. We've just gotten older and become more critical in our tastes.

As an experiment, try reading half of one of his other books. Figure even with one of my faves (Dead Beat hands down), it'll probably come off a lot like this. Butcher tried to set-up a proper break in the action in terms of the book's ending, but it couldn't disguise that this was still very much half a story. We'll be able to do a proper judgement of this story once Battle Ground comes out. In the meantime as has been said before, what we have so far is all set-up and no resolution.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

rndmnmbr posted:

Peace Talks is pretty standard Dresden fare, just with a missing climax. We've just gotten older and become more critical in our tastes.

I don't think that's entirely correct, or at least it isn't for me. I re-read Cold days and Skin game just before Peace Talks, and I'm now re-reading the entire series (on Dead Beat now) and I've enjoyed every book more than PT. I think PT is just the worst Dresden book. It's poorly edited, the action isn't fun, it's both short as a book while also being too padded out as a half-book with too many plot threads, and it doesn't deal with a few things I had been looking forward to - such as details about Bonetia or much reaction to Harry's return to life and changes.

Speaking of Dead Beat, I notice Cowl talks a lot like Sharkface from Cold days (not suggesting they are the same entity, I just wonder if it was intentional), and apparently he was the one who gave Lea the Nemesis-infected knife, but both he and especially Kumori are much less hostile/evil than I would expect from people who work with Outsiders to end all life. I hope this eventually makes sense and isn't just a pile of ret-conning and ad hoc writing.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Darkrenown posted:

apparently he was the one who gave Lea the Nemesis-infected knife,

Mavra gave Lea the knife at Bianca’s party, IIRC.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It's a bit confusing because Lea mentions swapping the sword for the knife and Mavra got the sword, and yet:

quote:

In Dead Beat, Harry Dresden meets Cowl for the second time, where he's searching for Die Lied der Erlking and The Word of Kemmler with Kumori, his assistant. Harry recognized them from Bianca St. Claire's ball as the ones who gave the Leanansidhe the athame.
https://dresdenfiles.fandom.com/wiki/Cowl
which is the bit of the book I just read, but I looked it up to confirm.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I won't look this up to bother confirming it but I do think there are two cloaked figures hovering around Bianca during the party doing unexplained sinister stuff.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh, I just read that awful short story at the start of the Dresden omnibus, the one where he's fighting a troll. Butcher mentions that it was a student project for a creative writing class... but it's not, like, the adventures of Larry the wizard and Mary the cop, it is straight-up Harry Dresden, Murphy, and all the other weirdos. Most universities own the IP of any projects you complete and hand in as class work, so I wonder how he got around that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, I just read that awful short story at the start of the Dresden omnibus, the one where he's fighting a troll. Butcher mentions that it was a student project for a creative writing class... but it's not, like, the adventures of Larry the wizard and Mary the cop, it is straight-up Harry Dresden, Murphy, and all the other weirdos. Most universities own the IP of any projects you complete and hand in as class work, so I wonder how he got around that.

My guess is "we own your ip" wasn't policy when he went to school twenty years ago. That's sketchy as *hell* considering you're paying the university, not vice versa.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess is "we own your ip" wasn't policy when he went to school twenty years ago. That's sketchy as *hell* considering you're paying the university, not vice versa.

Well, we gave you the writing prompt that preceded the story, now didn't we? Wouldn't have happened if we hadn't put these loose constraints on what you were supposed to write :colbert:

But yeah that IP thing is shady as hell.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

It's definitely shady as hell, also some quick googling seems to indicate that writing is a lot murkier than other stuff- I've definitely had friends whose literature professors aggressively stressed that they should never develop stuff in class that they intended to take commercial, but it appears a lot more variable than patents and inventions, which was my experience- I had engineering faculty very explicit warn us that anything even remotely commercially viable shouldn't go anywhere near coursework, because the instant it touched university systems, courses or resources things got a lot more complicated.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I listened to the audiobook for that story and even Butcher’s intro was “this isn’t that good but I worked it into a little intro to Harry”

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Been reading Faust lately and I don't know why but my brain decided Corman and Bentley are Wally and Gus from Mission Hill.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Reading the Rivers of London shorts now. I thought I'd read them all, but the first three have all been new to me. Which is great.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the_steve posted:

Would Thomas even be able to wield any of the swords, considering they're items of True Faith?

The White Court is the most human, they're really not terribly bothered by quite a few things that screw with the other courts. I seem to remember that even the Red Court isn't really bothered by items of faith, it's a pretty solidly Black Court thing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The Red Court is specifically bothered by faith items. During the ball, several vampires got burned simply by coming into contact with Micheal's armor.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

When Michael was touched by a Red Court vampire, the vampire wasn't very happy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Susan was burned by one of the Swords in Death Masks. But she was later able to wield Amoracchius in Changes because she was acting out of love for her daughter.

We know the Raith side of the White Court are particularly vulnerable to even mundane sources of love, so I'd imagine the Sword of Love would do a serious number on them. I'd guess the other families that feed on fear and despair have similar vulnerabilities that map to Faith and Hope, because Butcher obviously loves those sorts of patterns.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Hasn't Harry used his mom's pentacle necklace as a faith item before?

I mean, yeah, obviously it doesn't pack the same amount of Oomph as "sword with an angel stuffed inside of it", but, he did make a point to mention that faith in anything is sufficient as long it's sincere.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

the_steve posted:

Hasn't Harry used his mom's pentacle necklace as a faith item before?

I mean, yeah, obviously it doesn't pack the same amount of Oomph as "sword with an angel stuffed inside of it", but, he did make a point to mention that faith in anything is sufficient as long it's sincere.

I think so. Of course, it's been a long time since he's needed to do something like that instead of just "Set Magic staff to Incinerate!" and nuking whatever-it-is.

I believe the Red Court were affected by Faith items too, but it's been over 10 years since they were relevant to the series (Changes was published in April of 2010).

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I've ran through most of the Daniel Faust books in like three weeks and I'm honestly surprised they don't get more talk than they do. Books good.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Same, i burned through the entire series in like a month. Schaefer has a knack for writing locations that Butcher doesn't.

Slash either has lived in or bothered to do actual research on said locations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've ran through most of the Daniel Faust books in like three weeks and I'm honestly surprised they don't get more talk than they do. Books good.

Eh. I find them readable but they don't make me want to buy the next one. Instead, they're the kind of book that I'm entertained enough to buy the next one in a lull.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I haven't read them because I don't really want to read a screen. I suspect others haven't for the same reason.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I haven't read them because I don't really want to read a screen. I suspect others haven't for the same reason.

What does this mean?

E: Oh, they are only on Kindle? They're lovely to read on though :confused:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

What does this mean?

E: Oh, they are only on Kindle? They're lovely to read on though :confused:

Even the Kindle app on a computer (or big enough smart phone) is pretty good. Preferred is iPad app followed by my Kindle Oasis.

I'm at a point where I pretty much don't even consider a book unless there's an ebook version available. Last year, I finally pulled the trigger and got rid of almost 3 decades of book purchases (a little under 3000 books) and completely reclaimed 3 walls in my house. Most of it was paperbacks stacked two books high and three deep per shelf.

At this point the only physical books I have are entirely hard-to-find or out-of-print reference materials that relate to work.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Beachcomber posted:

Except they're all available in paperback? Am I misunderstanding this?