Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Does anyone have some suggestions for how to spray-prime minis in Florida (ie, "humidity is always a problem") when you live in an apartment? I don't have a garage to use and can't prime inside, and priming outside results in high-humidity spraypaint nastiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Zurai posted:

Does anyone have some suggestions for how to spray-prime minis in Florida (ie, "humidity is always a problem") when you live in an apartment? I don't have a garage to use and can't prime inside, and priming outside results in high-humidity spraypaint nastiness.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

This with a fan pointing out of the window

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Finished some grubby (and somewhat out of focus) chaos cultists.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I decided I didn't like the colour scheme I came up with for my AT buildings last week. Much happier with this one (Necron for scale).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Xpost

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I know, I know, it's just the humble Cadian Infantry. But this is the first mini I've painted in uhhh 15 years? And even back then I wasn't very good. So I'm happy with this :) I definitely have a lot to work on (hello sloppy edge highlights), but I think that will come with buying a better brush. Overall I'm proud to put this on the table. Now just uhhhh a couple hundred more of these guys to go.

Edit-- the base rim is still drying so it looks weird and gloppy. I was just impatient before taking a picture.

Zihuatanejo
Dec 17, 2013

Skails posted:

Thanks
The body is from the Bloodstoker in the first AoS starter/ Start Collecting! Bloodbound set. I didn't know it even existed until it was mentioned on an episode of the Stormcast podcast. bought it for his cool whip

Awesome, thanks!

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Zurai posted:

Just to back to the ancient ways of using a brush and thin paint.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Thanks for the recommendations, there were a couple of possibilities despite the massive titty demon contingent. I’m surprised how traditional they all look though; the quality is massively improved since the 80’s, but the aesthetics have hardly shifted at all.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
WIP on a Dark Imperium Hellblaster, trying to nail down a process for the army before my copy of Indomitus shows up. Doing more or less a Flesh Tearers scheme, but likely won't use their chapter symbol when I get around to putting transfers on.

Can't decide if I want to push the highlights further, especially on the red. The main chest isn't highlighted much since it's 99% covered by the plasma gun, which is sad since I feel like the chest areas is one of the best looking parts of the Primaris models. Also can't decide on doing greys vs blues for highlighting the blacks. Normally I'd do blue but it feels off with the red even though I use a dark grey/blue to shade the red. It's especially hard to get the helmet to look right, which is why it's not in the picture! Plasma needs a complete repaint also, have not decided on how I am going to do that.

Also some test bases for the army, though it's really hard to get the colors to show up without a better photo setup. The left two are just the water effects and you can really see how it refuses to cure in a completely flat state. The right two I used some clear crackle medium over the water effects which looks a lot better IMO but I am still not 100% happy with the effect. I have some real two part epoxy resin showing up which I will give a shot and see what I can do with that. One effect I do like is breaking up the crackle medium into shards and using those as jagged ice.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think the leather looks incredible on that model :swoon:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think if you're going to add weathering then the model is fine as is but if it's "done" then you probably want to do a glaze to bring up the colour saturation

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got a couple of characters from the box set done!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I would also like to know how you did that leather!

Personally I like the red - I think any more highlighting would start taking it into an orange-ish territory. If anything I think you could probably push contrast through the shadows, with maybe a slightly more saturated dark blue in the deepest shade.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I speed painted Cojo for my Marcus crew. I forgot to fill the gaps, so that's just great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That butt would make sir mix a lot proud

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

That butt would make sir mix a lot proud
He's got it going on!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Every single time I ever use the little needle-tip applicator for Zap-A-Gap, the first time I ever use it it pretty much gets back-filled with glue which dries and becomes useless. What the gently caress am I doing wrong? :downs: Like literally every bottle of this stuff I've ever bought it happens

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Crosspost from 40k, celebrating my one month painting anniversary. :)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Cross post from the 40k thread. I love contrast paints!

Verisimilidude posted:

Working on some ork test models. I think I’ve settled on this quick and easy scheme!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mk 2 scheme:

Skipped the Athonian Camoshade after drybrushig on Bonewhite, and skipped the brown-green wash airbrush step 1. I like this one WAY more. I also re-watched that Jungle Base video a few times and realized I skipped a few steps. I still can't quite seem to get mine to pop like he did in that video, but again I like this one much more than the previous iteration.

Unfortunately I lost the power cable for my light box, and some of the buttons for it to snap together broke since I last used it, so here it is with my cellphone flash :shrug:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sab669 posted:

Mk 2 scheme:

Skipped the Athonian Camoshade after drybrushig on Bonewhite, and skipped the brown-green wash airbrush step 1. I like this one WAY more. I also re-watched that Jungle Base video a few times and realized I skipped a few steps. I still can't quite seem to get mine to pop like he did in that video, but again I like this one much more than the previous iteration.

Unfortunately I lost the power cable for my light box, and some of the buttons for it to snap together broke since I last used it, so here it is with my cellphone flash :shrug:

That base looks much better! And the dude also looks good. The red is a much better colour for the eyes than the yellow was, and the armour looks good and grimy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks! :)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
loving imgur is auto rotating for some reason

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

He’s done. Carcharodon Astra on ash waste base.

I don’t consider this a successful paint workup, but as an experiment it went great. My goal was to use opposing color pairs to create “chromatic” greys—that is, tones that read as grey to conscious perception but carry a lot of color information that cancels itself out to the eye, so they read as rich and “real” rather than being as just a greyscale image. The light armor sections use a neutral grey basecoat, a desaturated green-blue mid highlight, and a slightly warm cream spot highlight; the dark armor sections use a neutral grey basecoat, a red-grey mid highlight (which is not apparent in the final model at all; if anything they look blue), and the same warm highlight, then everything is shaded from below with green-blue Coelia Greenshade and finally filtered and pinwashed with AK Interactive Streaking Grime, a very warm brown enamel wash.

In final assessment, everything is too light and too shifted towards blue, while the brown of the wash/filter is too orange—I think the orange in the Streaking Grime being so overpowering is why the red midtone on the pauldrons reads as blue by comparison. But I’ve already got ideas on how to do the next one better. Darker greys for both the light and dark armor panels, shade from below with probably a mix of Coelia and Nuln instead of just Coelia, and going by this set of swatches, the Dark Brown wash is probably a better choice than Streaking Grime for the enamel.

Also my first attempt doing freehand exile marks, which turned out okay but could use improvement, and my first attempt at using dry pigments to matte down a base and unify it with a figure’s legs. Not sure if the base works. I wanted a really hostile-looking ash waste, because I imagine the Carcharodons virus-bombing the planet before landing their assault—it seems like the sort of thing the atrocity sharks might do. But it doesn’t match the color of the Streaking Grime and just sort of looks weird. Maybe it’ll be better with my revised color scheme; need to watch some basing tutorials.

Also, I wonder if it’s deliberate that if you shift the color scheme of the Carcharodons lighter and toward blue, you get pre-Heresy World Eaters.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 17, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Parts of that work extremely well, and I think your ideas for the next one will make for a fantastic look. I agree that darker greys will turn out better, the light grey reads too white to me.

I think you'd have far better luck doing the freehand marks in black, if only because it's so hard to get a smooth white over the darker greys. You have good lines on most of them with solid brushwork, but the coverage isn't very even. If you want to stick with white, you need to do multiple layers and work up from an off white or grey first.

The base is a bit bland to me, texture wise it is fantastic though. Get a little bit of color variation in there with some greys or dark browns, or maybe some rubble/broken machinery. You're spot on in that your grime color and the base color don't match, so where's that dirt coming from on the marine?

I think you're 100% on the right track though and can't wait to see the next one.

jesus WEP posted:

I think the leather looks incredible on that model :swoon:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I would also like to know how you did that leather!

The leathers are done with the Scale 75 leather colors which are some of my favorites, they are a great set that all really sell the leather effect. It's a base Black Leather + Black, then essentially just layering up from there with Black Leather, Brown Leather, Orange Leather and Iroko. Paint on some lines for scratches and such, the ones on this model didn't take any time at all. On something like a Captain I'd start with some smaller scratches all over and glaze over them first, and then go back to the edge and major scratches.

Kujo has a great video on a pretty similar process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkeFhBBPk6U&t=3s

Cinara fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 17, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Goddamn that is a nice job on the red.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cinara posted:

Parts of that work extremely well, and I think your ideas for the next one will make for a fantastic look. I agree that darker greys will turn out better, the light grey reads too white to me.

I think you'd have far better luck doing the freehand marks in black, if only because it's so hard to get a smooth white over the darker greys. You have good lines on most of them with solid brushwork, but the coverage isn't very even. If you want to stick with white, you need to do multiple layers and work up from an off white or grey first.

Would you believe those marks are in the same Vallejo Model Color Silvergrey I used for all the spot highlights? I did stipple them up to white in the areas where they were laying directly over a spot highlight, though.

More thin layers and probably some sort of glaze medium to slow drying as I apply them is something I'll do next time; maybe break out the white acrylic ink as well. I was just too lazy to go pull those out of storage while I did this guy.

Black marks aren't really in the cards. I want to do as rich as possible an example of this color scheme, which consistently has lighter exile marks over darker armor panels.

Cinara posted:

The base is a bit bland to me, texture wise it is fantastic though. Get a little bit of color variation in there with some greys or dark browns, or maybe some rubble/broken machinery. You're spot on in that your grime color and the base color don't match, so where's that dirt coming from on the marine?

I think you're 100% on the right track though and can't wait to see the next one.

Thanks, man.

I should probably mention how I did that base, since the texture turned out so well! Aside from the spot where the marine is standing, which is a bit of cork superglued down to the base, the majority of the slope there is Vallejo White Stone basing paste, which is pretty thick -- my bottle is pretty old, so it was like applying a particularly stiff putty. Then, because it was already so stiff and I was lazy and didn't want to wait for it to fully dry, I applied Citadel Agrellan Earth crackle medium in a thick layer over it. As the Agrellan Earth dried and cracked, the cracks spread down into the underlying layer of Vallejo White Stone, making for very deep, very well-defined crevices (and also ensuring the undersides of the crack plates created by the Agrellan Earth firmly adhered to the white stone, instead of peeling up like they tend to do on stiff plastic). For the areas directly around the cork, I applied a layer of Agrellan Badlands over the White Stone first, and then let some of the Agrellan Earth sit on top of it -- you can see the texture gradient under his raised foot.

Then I applied a thin layer of watered-down PVA glue to ensure all the flakes weren't going to go anywhere and primed the whole thing black. Paint job on the texture may not be great, but the technique of applying Agrellan Earth over Vallejo White Stone for deeper crevices and more securely-fastened crack plates seems to be a keeper.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - does anyone have an easy way to create a rust effect for buildings? Since I've been spraying some MDF buildings, fuel tanks, a cargo ship, etc. for an abandoned port Kill Team map, and I have a giant silo (with the 'core' of the silo being a slightly weather-damaged Pringles can :v: Plus some MDF stairs, etc. surrounding it) which I'm thinking of adding a rust effect to some of the warped parts of the silo, to make it look like the contents is slowly corroding it over time. (Speaking of which, I'm not sure about what colour to make the silo. I'm thinking a plain white to emphasise/highlight the presence of the rust, but I'm not sure.)

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

loving imgur is auto rotating for some reason

Depends on what you rotate it with. If you use a real photo editing program it should be fine, but a phone or Windows Photo Viewer may just modify the image orientation metadata so when it gets uploaded it's rotated wrong.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - does anyone have an easy way to create a rust effect for buildings? Since I've been spraying some MDF buildings, fuel tanks, a cargo ship, etc. for an abandoned port Kill Team map, and I have a giant silo (with the 'core' of the silo being a slightly weather-damaged Pringles can :v: Plus some MDF stairs, etc. surrounding it) which I'm thinking of adding a rust effect to some of the warped parts of the silo, to make it look like the contents is slowly corroding it over time. (Speaking of which, I'm not sure about what colour to make the silo. I'm thinking a plain white to emphasise/highlight the presence of the rust, but I'm not sure.)

Thick dark red craft paint stippled on, then orange stippled highlights. You might could use a ripoed up sponge instead of a stencil brush .

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I bought some scalecolour gold paints for sanguinary guard and some other mostly-gold models, and I’m going to be largely putting them through an airbrush. I know that scalecolour uses a gel-based medium so it’s a bit different to e.g. vallejo or citadel.

Can I still use my regular vallejo airbrush thinner and flow improver mix with this stuff? Or will it react weirdly?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I bought some scalecolour gold paints for sanguinary guard and some other mostly-gold models, and I’m going to be largely putting them through an airbrush. I know that scalecolour uses a gel-based medium so it’s a bit different to e.g. vallejo or citadel.

Can I still use my regular vallejo airbrush thinner and flow improver mix with this stuff? Or will it react weirdly?
I use both no problem.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Thanks!

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Well I don't know why IMGUR is being all stupid and uploading stuff sideways, but I didn't work this hard not to share my work.

So I finished up all my Infantry/Character HQs with my third Exalted Sorcerer and Ahriman.

Here is the Sorcerer.

And here is Ahriman.

As I did with the Loincloths on my Scarab Occult and the robes on my other Exalted Sorcerers, I did contrast over metal, and love it. I think it worked really well on Ahriman's purple gloves.

At least one picture did post right:

This represents everything I got for xmas from my wife, plus the Scarab occult I bought shortly after getting them. Took me 8 months to paint.

Next I have a pallet cleanser I'm going to do, then paint up my daemon prince and vehicles.

Werix fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 17, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
You know you can just link images from your phone, right? Tap to get the select/select all/ prompt, the fourth option is ‘img’ which takes you to your photo library.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
My latest big miniature is a Nolzur white dragon:

The photo doesn't do him justice - I did 2-3 thin coats of Turbo Drok Mother Lode so he has this awesome icy sheen all over.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torquemada posted:

You know you can just link images from your phone, right? Tap to get the select/select all/ prompt, the fourth option is ‘img’ which takes you to your photo library.

That depends entirely on the phone... If I go into Google Photos on my Pixel 3 the Share button simply gives me a link to a gallery, not a direct file that can be embedded here.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Torquemada posted:

Yeah, something is going fucky with Imgur. I was able to make the post hidden, rotate the pics, and then repost the gallery. The pics in the gallery are still rotated, but when you click to view the full image they are right side up. I don't know man, I just paint them and take phone pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Werix posted:

Yeah, something is going fucky with Imgur. I was able to make the post hidden, rotate the pics, and then repost the gallery. The pics in the gallery are still rotated, but when you click to view the full image they are right side up. I don't know man, I just paint them and take phone pics.

I downloaded Lightroom earlier today so that I could fix it on a better image of my base: