Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Hixson posted:

Working on a little 40k Night Lords CSM force:

That’s just great. And I really love the way you’ve used a combination of the new CSM bodies with the Heresy-era pauldrons, helmets, and backpacks to create a distinctly Night Lords force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
As I recall, on Grimdark Narrator’s channel, he said the Rhino is an STC that predates the Imperium and was originally intended as a general purpose armored transport for colonists to use on newly discovered alien planets where getting around would be dangerous. The STC was on almost every colony ship from way back, and it had some kind of universal fuel input aspect to its engine design that let it run off virtually anything combustible.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If I wanted to start collecting Sisters do I just gotta hold my nose and start dropping 70 CAD for a box of ten multiple times

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Eej posted:

If I wanted to start collecting Sisters do I just gotta hold my nose and start dropping 70 CAD for a box of ten multiple times

They are coming out and being sold out bit by bit.I heard US had a release this week and they all sold out in one day. Just wait , the market will get saturated and with the rules changes to Heavy Bolters in Oktober the preferred loadout for sister might change .

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I know it sucks but dont reward scalpers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh that's not scalping unless you count GW's MSRP as scalping

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Coldbird posted:

As I recall, on Grimdark Narrator’s channel, he said the Rhino is an STC that predates the Imperium and was originally intended as a general purpose armored transport for colonists to use on newly discovered alien planets where getting around would be dangerous. The STC was on almost every colony ship from way back, and it had some kind of universal fuel input aspect to its engine design that let it run off virtually anything combustible.

I always thought it was funny that the Space Marines were stuck with a converted cargo van and the Imperial Guard gets the Chimera that is superior in literally every way.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

SerCypher posted:

I always thought it was funny that the Space Marines were stuck with a converted cargo van and the Imperial Guard gets the Chimera that is superior in literally every way.

If I remember rightly rhinos are easier to fix, which is represented by them fixing themselves.

GW clearly agreed with you though which is why the Impulsor/Repulsor exists.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Eej posted:

Oh that's not scalping unless you count GW's MSRP as scalping

I failed to read it said CAD :downs:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

I failed to read it said CAD :downs:

There is another amusing bit to the higher the CAD prices, with the current conversion ratio between CAD and USD canadian prices are usually ~10-15% lower than their equivalent US prices. :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I know, I know, it's just the humble Cadian Infantry. But this is the first mini I've painted in uhhh 15 years? And even back then I wasn't very good. So I'm happy with this :) I definitely have a lot to work on (hello sloppy edge highlights), but I think that will come with buying a better brush. Overall I'm proud to put this on the table. Now just uhhhh a couple hundred more of these guys to go.

Edit-- the base rim is still drying so it looks weird and gloppy. I was just impatient before taking a picture.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I know, I know, it's just the humble Cadian Infantry. But this is the first mini I've painted in uhhh 15 years? And even back then I wasn't very good. So I'm happy with this :) I definitely have a lot to work on (hello sloppy edge highlights), but I think that will come with buying a better brush. Overall I'm proud to put this on the table. Now just uhhhh a couple hundred more of these guys to go.

Edit-- the base rim is still drying so it looks weird and gloppy. I was just impatient before taking a picture.

Hell yeah dude this looks sick. His face looks really good for not having painted in forever. Nice job!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Looks good dude. I'm in the process of repainting my guardsmen to a similar level of detail. Two squads are done, only like 4 more to go.

To be fair I'm hand painting on the cadian logos and squad numbers which does take a bit of time, but by far the most time is spent on all the edge hilghlighting. Plus I don't like the highlights on the clothes to be too sharp (I paint dawnstone with administration grey highlight) so I end up creating a glaze to tone down the highlights and that takes some time too

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That guy is absolutely not happy with his lot in life at all especially now that smol marines have twice his wounds

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Stephenls posted:

That’s just great. And I really love the way you’ve used a combination of the new CSM bodies with the Heresy-era pauldrons, helmets, and backpacks to create a distinctly Night Lords force.

Lasting Damage posted:

Outstanding work

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Classic look, love the blending. These are proper scary. What is that delightful mecha-tick?

Maneck posted:

There just amazing. You should be proud.

Cessna posted:

Those Night Lords are sick.

Thanks all!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What is the ideal point level for 9th? I played marine on marine at 1750 the other day and that felt perfect.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Thanks for the kind words about my Cadian meat shield :) excited to do more of them today

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Hixson posted:

Thanks all!

Seriously, I lurk a lot and very slowly work on my Word Bearers/Death Guard, but you've inspired me to try some 30k Night Lords. I have Sevatar sitting on my desk, waiting for the last of my paints to arrive. Not gonna be anywhere near your quality, but thanks for the huge inspiration in the quality you paint!

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I got a couple of characters from the box set done!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Holy poo poo that plasma

'Eavy Metal, hire this person

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I managed to grab the Lieutenant single last week and I'm not sure if I should paint him as a Black Templar or Blood Angel just to mark those chapters off my to paint list.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm running over to the Warham store today because apparently they're giving away single Space Marine figures? Anyone know what they are? I'm assuming it's a single Primaris to promote the new sets.

(Okay I'm also going to pick up some extra metallics since I have AdMechs coming)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Working on some ork test models. I think I’ve settled on this quick and easy scheme!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Beerdeer posted:

What is the ideal point level for 9th? I played marine on marine at 1750 the other day and that felt perfect.

The idea behind 9th is that there are four levels which have missions designed for them. 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000.

Tournament play tends to be 2,000 but you can have fun at 1,000 too. 500 tends to be a bit rock, paper, scissors.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Happy One Month Anniversary to me! Wrapped this guy up today. Thanks to everyone for the feedback on the posts. Looking forward to keeping on with it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

That is one seriously evil looking gretchin.

Goon who does the Tabletop Dropouts podcast! Remind me who you are and I'll be happy to give you some feedback, if you'd like it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I started a Night Lords army. It is going to be strictly for fun and full of models I think are cool. Maulerfiends! Heldrakes! Over-equipped squads of Chaos Space Marines! Nobody can stop me, they can only hope to contain me. (Actually if we're being super honest it will probably be pretty easy to stop me in the playing area.)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Cross-posting from the painting thread.

Stephenls posted:

He’s done. Carcharodon Astra on ash waste base.

I don’t consider this a successful paint workup, but as an experiment it went great. My goal was to use opposing color pairs to create “chromatic” greys—that is, tones that read as grey to conscious perception but carry a lot of color information that cancels itself out to the eye, so they read as rich and “real” rather than being as just a greyscale image. The light armor sections use a neutral grey basecoat, a desaturated green-blue mid highlight, and a slightly warm cream spot highlight; the dark armor sections use a neutral grey basecoat, a red-grey mid highlight (which is not apparent in the final model at all; if anything they look blue), and the same warm highlight, then everything is shaded from below with green-blue Coelia Greenshade and finally filtered and pinwashed with AK Interactive Streaking Grime, a very warm brown enamel wash.

In final assessment, everything is too light and too shifted towards blue, while the brown of the wash/filter is too orange—I think the orange in the Streaking Grime being so overpowering is why the red midtone on the pauldrons reads as blue by comparison. But I’ve already got ideas on how to do the next one better. Darker greys for both the light and dark armor panels, shade from below with probably a mix of Coelia and Nuln instead of just Coelia, and going by this set of swatches, the Dark Brown wash is probably a better choice than Streaking Grime for the enamel.

Also my first attempt doing freehand exile marks, which turned out okay but could use improvement, and my first attempt at using dry pigments to matte down a base and unify it with a figure’s legs. Not sure if the base works. I wanted a really hostile-looking ash waste, because I imagine the Carcharodons virus-bombing the planet before landing their assault—it seems like the sort of thing the atrocity sharks might do. But it doesn’t match the color of the Streaking Grime and just sort of looks weird. Maybe it’ll be better with my revised color scheme; need to watch some basing tutorials.

Also, I wonder if it’s deliberate that if you shift the color scheme of the Carcharodons lighter and toward blue, you get pre-Heresy World Eaters.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 17, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I won't pretend to understand the color theory behind it but that looks dope.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

:same:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

I think it basically boils down to, rather than using neutral "true" greys (i.e. The shade that goes from black to white) that they instead wanted to use grey tone colours that very much look grey but have just enough colour in it that it doesn't look like you've painted your model in black and white.

It's the difference between painting a set of black armour and highlighting it in increasingly light shades of grey, and painting black armour and highlighting in it increasingly light shades of blue. Both will look like a model wearing black armour, but if the entire model is in black armour and all you use is neutral greys, it looks potentially a bit more dull than greys with a bit of blue.

So when you look at that model you see a dude in grey armour, but all those greys have just a hint of blue in them, making it a "vibrant" grey that's interesting.

That's what I think they are saying. It's a very long explanation for "I painted a dope model".

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

R0ckfish posted:

I got a couple of characters from the box set done!

How do you do that black effect on the necrons? it looks amazing

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Kitchner posted:

I think it basically boils down to, rather than using neutral "true" greys (i.e. The shade that goes from black to white) that they instead wanted to use grey tone colours that very much look grey but have just enough colour in it that it doesn't look like you've painted your model in black and white.

It's the difference between painting a set of black armour and highlighting it in increasingly light shades of grey, and painting black armour and highlighting in it increasingly light shades of blue. Both will look like a model wearing black armour, but if the entire model is in black armour and all you use is neutral greys, it looks potentially a bit more dull than greys with a bit of blue.

So when you look at that model you see a dude in grey armour, but all those greys have just a hint of blue in them, making it a "vibrant" grey that's interesting.

That's what I think they are saying. It's a very long explanation for "I painted a dope model".

Kinda.

So. When I was a kid I and I wanted to draw a firetruck and then color it in with crayon, my instinct was always to take the red crayon and color in the firetruck, because firetrucks are red and therefore coloring in the firetruck in the color that firetrucks actually are ought to make a realistic-looking firetruck, right? Realism! You should be able to use the real color to make a real-looking drawing! I was always an incredibly annoyed little five year old that somehow this didn't work.

Obvs, this isn't how it works. Your local color is the art term for the color than an object actually is, like, if you were to go up to a real firetruck with a set of red paint swatches and hold them up to the side of the firetruck until you found the swatch that perfectly matched the shade of paint it's painted in, that shade of red would be the firetruck's local color. But an artistic representation of a firetruck can't just use the firetruck's local color -- it has to fake the impression of the local color by using other colors to model how a set of lighting conditions would interact with a real red object of a firetruck's shape and scale. Sometimes this is going to involve lighter and darker shades of red. Sometimes, if you're trying to portray this firefighting public safety vehicle in low-light conditions, it might involve blues, purples, and greys. This is exactly what mini painters are doing when we paint the appearance of highlights and shadows on an object that, were it a real full-sized thing, would be all one color, but because it's not a full-sized thing isn't sporting the same highlights or shadows as it would if it were big.

Which brings us to color temperature. Broadly speaking one side of the color wheel can be considered warm and one side can be considered cool (although this is a simplification; color is relative to adjacent colors and a yellow that skews green will read as cool next to a yellow that skews orange; for an example of this, google image search warm vs cool yellow). One way to add depth and richness to an artistic representation of a thing is to have the shadows skew cool and the highlights skew warm, or vice-versa -- one of the reasons why e.g. Contrast paint jobs tend to look kind of flat is because they establish a strong value (light-to-dark) gradient but a weak (at best) temperature gradient.

What I was trying to do was create the illusion of a local grey by using blue-greens and reds, such that the blue-greens and the reds just look like a color temperature gradient on a (fake!) local grey, effectively cancelling each other out to conscious perception. But because the eye would still be taking in and processing all that red and blue-green to construct the impression of a (fake!) local grey, it would read as visually complex -- or, richer and more real.

It didn't really work, because I did a bunch of stuff wrong. But the attempt taught me tons.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 17, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Using colours to make grey also allow you to keep tone while adjusting temperature by adding more of either colour (ie adding blue gives you a colder grey you can use for shading and adding orange makes it warmer for highlights). Many greys also have hues in them (lots of greys have blue in them) which can produce undesired effects if you try to mix them with each other or even other colours.

e;fb

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Finished my Archaeopter "The Dragonfrog", really fun kit to put together (which is a bit of a change of pace for AdMech).

I'll might eventually weather it, but I do like that cartoony factory fresh look.

e: Hot tip for anyone building one of these: the wings on the legs look interchangeable but they aren't, make sure you have them on the right leg as the struts aren't as defined on the back. Doesn't look as good and harder to paint.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 17, 2020

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

CODChimera posted:

How do you do that black effect on the necrons? it looks amazing

Its nothing too complex, corvus black - basilicanum - dark reaper - russ grey - flayed one flesh!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There was some chat a few pages ago about the ridiculous 50+ Horus Heresy novels and such. I see #54 is about Morty and the Death Guard so I wanna check it out, but how lost would I be if I haven't read a single book before it?

Also is there a good youtube channel, or preferably a podcast, which does like TL:DR's of books / lore?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

I just want to say this was a really cool post, and while I still don't think I fully understand what you did and the theory behind it (maybe never will) I understand more than I did before reading your post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Sab669 posted:

There was some chat a few pages ago about the ridiculous 50+ Horus Heresy novels and such. I see #54 is about Morty and the Death Guard so I wanna check it out, but how lost would I be if I haven't read a single book before it?

Also is there a good youtube channel, or preferably a podcast, which does like TL:DR's of books / lore?

If you're generally aware of the Primarchs and Malcador the Sigilite, I think you'll probably be fine. Outside of one of their captains Nathaniel Garro (who's a loyalist who splits from the legion in the first hundred pages of book 4 of the whole series), I'm pretty sure that the Death Guard don't feature heavily in any of the big recurring Heresy arcs in such a way that you'll be missing key details of character development or anything.

Mortarion has always seemed kind of one-note for me, even compared to Primarchs such as murder-batman Konrad Curze and Angron.