Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

lol I have now bought two copies of one step from eden because of food court bailiffs post and my wife surprised me last night with a switch lite so I had to buy it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i worded that weird I meant I bought a second copy because his post convinced me to get it, I loved it, and my wife got me my own switch lite so I bought it on my own account instead of hers

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
I'm still not sure I follow sid

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

food court Bailiff posted the trailer for the game one step from eden here and it's basically a rogue lite with MegaMan Battle Network combat and it's so good and I bought it on my wife's account because we have a regular switch and she has a switch lite so we could both play her whole library but now I also have a switch lite of my own and so I had to purchase some games again and it was the first one I got

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
wrong, I posted the trailer! :colbert:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

oh my god my life is a shambling mess

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

at least you have two copies of an excellent video game

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

It's really really fun! I bought a second copy of Neon Abyss because it instantly hooked it's tendrils in me harder than anything else and Isaac is loving 49.99 plus tax on eshop :(

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

if AAA devs are gonna go through all that effort to try and make games that are interactive movies then they should commit to the bit and lock the fps to 24

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

if AAA devs are gonna go through all that effort to try and make games that are interactive movies then they should commit to the bit and lock the fps to 24

If the lock is as solid as the 30 fps on Forza Horizon and the frame timing is perfectly consistent, it would be fine for something that doesn't depend on fast reactions. Kind of a bummer for people whose tv doesn't have a 24 hz mode though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you have a 120hz mode you have a 24hz mode

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

bob dobbs is dead posted:

is that like a lowest common denominator thing happening I don't know about refresh rates

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a divisibility thing but yah

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Yeah, and that's something you can assume about everyone. There are also some 60hz displays that have a 24hz mode they can switch into. It's in a lot of people's TVs, but it's not in the "assume everyone has it" zone the way 30/60 is.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive always had a "whatever" attitude towards refresh rates. whatever works. whatever makes my eyes see the game

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
30fps is easily the worst thing about Nuclear Throne.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man I hate framerate chat, can't we talk about anime or pounding nails up your urethra?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man I hate framerate chat, can't we talk about anime or pounding nails up your urethra?

I'd rather pound nails up my urethra than play 30fps games.

Hell even loving Atari 2600 was 60fps.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

why would i have a 120hz mode when 60fps is just fine for everything
why would i pay extra for a monitor whose only effect is to make me need a twice-as-strong GPU to get games to look good again

actually though I can't even tell whether a game's running in 30 or 60fps usually unless it switches between them and I can see it side-by-side

e:
anime is Good except when it's sometimes Very Bad

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 16, 2020

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's totally fine if you don't care at all if a game is 30fps or 60fps but seriously, you should be able to tell instantly if its 60fps or not.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i wish etrian odyssey or something would come to switch

hell I’d settle for class of heroes or whatever the hell

I miss wizardry clones

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

food court bailiff posted:

I miss wizardry clones

oh my god an Etrian Odyssey collection would steal all of my time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I miss wizardry clones

Did I already recommend Operencia to you?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

lol gently caress stop spending my money guys i have kids

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

Did I already recommend Operencia to you?

i got it yesterday yeah lol. put in several hours today and I’m really enjoying it

i still want some grindy random encounter fest where I can make my whole party from scratch and totally gently caress up my in-game map by being bad at drawing lines and understanding how grids work

Barudak
May 7, 2007

i got it yesterday yeah lol. put in several hours today and I’m really enjoying it

i still want some grindy random encounter fest where I can make my whole party from scratch and totally gently caress up my in-game map by being bad at drawing lines and understanding how grids work

Drawing your own map is pretty much sadly limited to that series, but Experience, Inc games are brutally crushing dungeon crawlers that have lots of charm and some real bad QoL issues.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

why would i have a 120hz mode when 60fps is just fine for everything
why would i pay extra for a monitor whose only effect is to make me need a twice-as-strong GPU to get games to look good again

actually though I can't even tell whether a game's running in 30 or 60fps usually unless it switches between them and I can see it side-by-side

e:
anime is Good except when it's sometimes Very Bad
it's theoretically an advantage in competitive fps for seeing someone popping out from a corner but only by like ~8ms which is negligible if you aren't on the level of playing as a career

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I remember when the the first pc port of Bioshock came out, and the physics were locked at 30fps. I shot a cart full of objects and the stuttering of all of them flying around made me run to the restroom to throw up. Ive never had motion sickness from a game until then. gently caress 30fps

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

all these PC framerate nerds just sit there for 3 hours playing with the settings menus and then play a game once, then return to binding of isaac

meanwhile i'm playing Bloodborne with bad frame pacing at 27fps having the most fun ever

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

For some of us tweaking performance is a way of life, better than the game itself.

Yes, I did think it was awesome when Zero Cool pulled a floppy disk from his hip like a wild west gunfighter, but I fail to see how that's relevant to the current discussion

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

you laugh at me because my refresh rate is different
i laugh at you because yours are all the same (120mhz)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I pity anyone who never grew up with the pure joy of degaussing a CRT monitor.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Sid Vicious posted:

oh my god an Etrian Odyssey collection would steal all of my time

I think I played 4 on the DS and it took me like 2 years to beat but it was really fuckin good.

I love grid based, first person, party dungeon crawlers like World of Xeen and Phantasy Star 1. Then around the time isometric RPGs came out that whole genre died. I actually played a decent one on my phone that's just called The Quest. I thought the genre totally died a long time ago, but it looks like there is a lot of Japanese stuff in that genre in more recent times. Is that fair to say? Are there any games on switch on PC like Etrian Odyssey? Like an anime weeby Might and magic?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

you laugh at me because my refresh rate is different
i laugh at you because yours are all the same (120mhz)

120 millihertz isn't a monitor it's a picture book

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I think I played 4 on the DS and it took me like 2 years to beat but it was really fuckin good.

I love grid based, first person, party dungeon crawlers like World of Xeen and Phantasy Star 1. Then around the time isometric RPGs came out that whole genre died. I actually played a decent one on my phone that's just called The Quest. I thought the genre totally died a long time ago, but it looks like there is a lot of Japanese stuff in that genre in more recent times. Is that fair to say? Are there any games on switch on PC like Etrian Odyssey? Like an anime weeby Might and magic?

i really like The Quest but uh all I ever do in that game is go to pubs and earn infinite money by betting the maximum amount on the weird card game and winning

i think I’ve lost one game of the card game, the necromancer deck is insanely op if you pay attention to the board state

anyway yeah Japan like...really was into first person dungeon crawlers for a while to the point where Wizardry 9 is a Japanese game full of anime and godawful translation errors, sadly basically none of them have made it to the switch

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I've heard other goons call this genre "blobbers" but idk how common a name that is. (sounds really dumb to me)
For recent-ish releases you could try Legend of Grimrock I & II (okay 2012 so not THAT recent...). Other than that, maybe check out the Wizardy series on GOG?

From googling that term I found a couple games, plus this curator page on steam... but it lists only 10 games and hasn't been active since 2019. There's at least two anime games linked there if you want that specifically: one two
It looks like that second one has a sequel on switch as well, maybe check it out?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the post 2010 shadowrun games are weirdly extremely dungeon crawly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

i really like The Quest but uh all I ever do in that game is go to pubs and earn infinite money by betting the maximum amount on the weird card game and winning

i think I’ve lost one game of the card game, the necromancer deck is insanely op if you pay attention to the board state

anyway yeah Japan like...really was into first person dungeon crawlers for a while to the point where Wizardry 9 is a Japanese game full of anime and godawful translation errors, sadly basically none of them have made it to the switch

Didn't From Software use to make first person dungeon crawlers, to the point where Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have references to them?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vakal posted:

I pity anyone who never grew up with the pure joy of degaussing a CRT monitor.

That was the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

I miss wizardry clones

I hate that I know this but Moero Chronicle Hyper is a serviceable one of those only it's got waifus being possessed by their clothes. The Switch is the new Vita.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't From Software use to make first person dungeon crawlers, to the point where Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have references to them?

The King's Field series, it rules pretty hard, or at least the one I played (King's Field IV on PS2) did. Before there was that tasteful, restrained hint of melancholy Souls games have there was King's Field gleefully rolling around in bleak surreal fever dream vibes. It's cryptic and alien in a Body Harvest 64 sort of way, has more than a whiff of Morrowind to it in the gameplay and dank fog-drenched swamp aesthetics and hits that Shadow of the Colossus sense of desolation and loneliness.

It also showcases that sense of humor about being a dick to the player Souls games have but minus any of the chill so you can fall through the floor into a pool of lava 6 steps into King's Field IV for an instant game over.

Snackula fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 16, 2020