Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Do that with the parking brake engaged and I'll pay more attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i admire your commitment to your custom title

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I mean, sure, kudos on designing a gearbox (like literally anybody with a copy of a Machinery's Handbook and access to modeling software can do) but I'm not seeing how it's supposed to be impressive.

It's pulling a car that is sitting on a flat surface, in neutral. Somewhere out there is a video of somebody doing the same thing with a fishing reel and 8-lb test line as some kind of gimmick/skit. The motor they connected to it could probably do it without the gearbox.

Again, they made a toy. Try putting that gearbox to work and see how long it lasts.

and the custom title is from somebody getting upset in The Book Barn because I said the Dresden Files were hot garbage the moment the author decided to spend several books making rape vampires sympathetic characters instead of opting to make them "kill on sight" enemies, I'm not exactly going to give a poo poo about that

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 13, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Normally don't quote myself but goddamn, it's down to 180 for the OG, 190 for the red/black. I'm tempted to grab another one at that price.

That is quite tempting.. Maybe I should get my first SLA machine.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Prusa eats it's own dogfood. They print all their own parts. So does Lulzbot. As commercial ventures, they're printing the parts for their printers.

As for useful long term use of 3d printed parts in gearboxes... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur2eBNMfZIA He's run his gearboxes for weeks? Also this entire youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?GearDownForWhat?videos

Plastic gearboxes are a thing. You just need to design for the plastic you're using. "Anyone with machinerys handbook"... exactly. Know your materials, design around them, have them last.

PS: it's also worth noting, with servos, plastic ones last longer. They has less slop, and wear more slowly.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 13, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Ender 3 is $165 from the Creality store right now. It's not the Pro or the 2 but that's still good. That plus a glass bed and a 32 bit board with silent steppers would be ~$220:
"Use coupon code: CREALITY5NEW to get extra $5 off, which brings the price of ender3 down to $165!"
https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/official-creality-ender-3-3d-printer

source: https://slickdeals.net/f/14262920-creality3d-ender3-printer-for-only-165-with-free-shipping?src=pdw

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Whew thanks for clearing that up

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Call it a toy all you want, so far mine has been a money printer (it goes "vrrr vrrr vrrrrrrrrr").

insta
Jan 28, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I mean, sure, kudos on designing a gearbox (like literally anybody with a copy of a Machinery's Handbook and access to modeling software can do) but I'm not seeing how it's supposed to be impressive.

It's pulling a car that is sitting on a flat surface, in neutral. Somewhere out there is a video of somebody doing the same thing with a fishing reel and 8-lb test line as some kind of gimmick/skit. The motor they connected to it could probably do it without the gearbox.

Again, they made a toy. Try putting that gearbox to work and see how long it lasts.

and the custom title is from somebody getting upset in The Book Barn because I said the Dresden Files were hot garbage the moment the author decided to spend several books making rape vampires sympathetic characters instead of opting to make them "kill on sight" enemies, I'm not exactly going to give a poo poo about that

I know I'm falling to your bait, but the project was actually a servo with over 100kg/cm torque, while being pretty responsive. The car was gimmicky, the rest of it wasn't.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm not arguing about it beyond not seeing it as anything but another toy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Normally don't quote myself but goddamn, it's down to 180 for the OG, 190 for the red/black. I'm tempted to grab another one at that price.

Another noob question - is there any major structural difference between the output of a resin printer and a filament one? Most of the things I'm interested in printing are stuff like mounts and enclosures for various bits of electronics - not massively load-bearing but I'd still like to know if they're particularly more brittle or likely to fail unpredictably.

e: Just to clarify, the output of a standard 3D printer using cheap PLA versus the output of a resin printer using... whatever the standard cheap resin is?

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 14, 2020

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Most of what I've seen hobbyist resin printers used for has been "pretty display pieces" that aren't used in a functional context, while FDM printers are usually used to make static bracketry/custom attachment pieces (and sometimes "pretty display pieces").

IIRC most of the basic resins are comparable in strength/etc. to PLA, but most of the pieces people print are fairly brittle because they're thin-shell/wall, mostly hollow objects (industrial resin printers, much like their industrial FDM counterparts, can produce much stronger parts than the hobbyist models). But again, it's a hobby.

Resin printers are just capable of creating objects at a much higher visual resolution than FDM (the limit there being the resolution of the screen or the size of the laser beam used in the ones that use lasers instead of an LED/LCD).

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I bought an ender 3 v2! So far very happy with its performance. I've been cranking out tons of functional crap as well as toys.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Most of what I've seen hobbyist resin printers used for has been "pretty display pieces" that aren't used in a functional context, while FDM printers are usually used to make static bracketry/custom attachment pieces (and sometimes "pretty display pieces").

IIRC most of the basic resins are comparable in strength/etc. to PLA, but most of the pieces people print are fairly brittle because they're thin-shell/wall, mostly hollow objects (industrial resin printers, much like their industrial FDM counterparts, can produce much stronger parts than the hobbyist models). But again, it's a hobby.

Resin printers are just capable of creating objects at a much higher visual resolution than FDM (the limit there being the resolution of the screen or the size of the laser beam used in the ones that use lasers instead of an LED/LCD).

Yeah, the reason I ask is I know someone who desperately wants a resin printer for printing miniatures and I was thinking we could share the expense of one of those Elegoos or an Anycubic (and he can keep it at his house so he can deal with the smell and mess).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Regular resins are pretty brittle. The ABS-like ones I had futzed with were okay, but I wasn't doing any high load work. They had a funky soft touch texture which weirded me out a little.

The Siraya Blu resin worked out pretty well for some parts that got action in the shop as jigs, but I ran into limitations on the printer not getting dimensions I needed. Could be that I'm bad at SLA prints.

I've seen some really cool stuff done with ashless castable resin to make metal parts.

For making minis and whatnot? It's the ideal use case.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Before I navigate the hellscape of local marketplaces, anybody near KCMO and want several spools of engineering plastic (HIPS, ABS, ASA, PC) in 3mm? Free...

edit: related --

I am making and soon-to-be-selling high-temperature spools for your oven-baking plastics. They're made from Garolite and the dimensions of normal spools, but will handily withstand 250F in the oven for any plastic you want. The CF nylon print I posted above was after baking on one of these spools, so you may want to consider it if you're printing PC (or blends), any Nylon for sure, TPU, PC/PBT, PMMA, PEI, PSU, blah blah blah. Hoping to get $30 shipped each.

All plastics do better when heated and dry, but most of them are at ~ 170F, so the eSUN eBox works without melting the spools down. I made them for Nylon & PEI, which bake at 215 & 250F respectively in my convection oven.

insta fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 14, 2020

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K33DCNW

Elegoo Mars (OG version) for 200$ (sold by elegoo/amazon).

Dunno how long it'll last, but that's a loving amazing deal for the printer. I love mine.

I've heard before that resin printing carries alot more risk than what I currently print with PLA/PETG/TPU.

What precautions do you take when working with resins? I know it comes with a light hood, but I also notice it comes with masks and gloves.

Also, is it difficult working with the custom old files 3d files? I noticed the pro uses ctg.

edit: bah, I'll PM you.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I made a fun light duty jig on my makerspace's printers:

Just a quick little 90 degree jig. As designed, it'll hold up to 1/2" wood, any larger and you'd just use a square and clamps or take off the feet.

There's plenty of room for optimization, but I'm really pleased with how it came out. Next project is going to be a pocket jig, maybe some box tongue joint jigs, too.

Since I've been getting Real Life Angry ™️ with the negligent volunteer who runs the FDM machines, I just pulled the trigger on a pretty decked out Prusa Mini this morning. It should arrive in time for my birthday, hurray!

Tip: threads on 3D modeling software are kinda funny. They generally assume that you're going to turn, tap, or bore threads, so if you're going to 3D print some default profiles, do the following:

Make them chunky: these are probably the smallest that I would want to do (M10 x 1.5).

In the slicer, scale your male DOWN to 98% or your female UP to 102% - whichever isn't critical. In my case, I scale my male threads down or else they wouldn't mate.

Have fun!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Hi hello I'm new to 3d printing. My wonderful wife got me an Ender 5 for my birthday, since I'm already a 3d cg artist, and I've somehow made it this long (I'm 40!) without getting one for myself. I've printed some upgrade parts as well as tons of other toys and trinkets, but I've mostly been intimidated so far in printing things I'm designing myself; so here's my first thing I'm super proud of, a 1:6 scale Executive Armchair by Eero Saarinen:

I split the seat cushion so I could create some receivers for the m2x16 that hold each leg on and sandwich the whole thing together:

That barely worked out because I'm no product designer, but with a toothpick and some blue-tack I managed to get the nuts to stay in their poorly-tolerance'd slots long enough to capture them with the bolts and get it all together. I'll do it differently next time, but it was surprisingly successful on the first swing.

the model was adapted from one I made a few years back for this piece:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Be proud, that's amazing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's pretty awesome dude.

My 3d modeling skils are basically emailing people and paypaling them money to get something made, so trust me, when I say that's impressive and there's no way I could have done it, I mean it wholeheartedly.

PM answered, as well :)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
My 3D modeling skills are using Microsoft 3D Builder for basic shapes and embossing things.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

This is what I was making when I asked for fusion help. It's a branded painting hanger for my gear paintings since the old one was really ugly.

Probably still need to sand it.

Edit: VVVV Thanks!

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 15, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's extremely neat!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Handiklap posted:

Hi hello I'm new to 3d printing. My wonderful wife got me an Ender 5 for my birthday, since I'm already a 3d cg artist, and I've somehow made it this long (I'm 40!) without getting one for myself. I've printed some upgrade parts as well as tons of other toys and trinkets, but I've mostly been intimidated so far in printing things I'm designing myself; so here's my first thing I'm super proud of, a 1:6 scale Executive Armchair by Eero Saarinen:

I split the seat cushion so I could create some receivers for the m2x16 that hold each leg on and sandwich the whole thing together:

That barely worked out because I'm no product designer, but with a toothpick and some blue-tack I managed to get the nuts to stay in their poorly-tolerance'd slots long enough to capture them with the bolts and get it all together. I'll do it differently next time, but it was surprisingly successful on the first swing.

the model was adapted from one I made a few years back for this piece:

Awesome, good job!

Btw, the way things are often put together is using brass insert nuts.you heat them up and push them into a slightly undersized hole. (Phrasing!) Works great and you can get a million of them for a buck.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

I'm offering to help them do exactly this, but nobody wants my old DaVinci printer.

Powered this printer up to run it through it's calibration/heater checks and it is power cycling/rebooting every two minutes.

Oh well, time to gut the electronics and see about using the frame for a Frankenstein build.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Question for you guys, while waiting for my Mini to arrive I ordered a spool of Prusament PLA from the Prusa website to have on hand for it (keeping it sealed until then). I live in South Florida and it's summer so that means 90+ degree days every day unless it's raining. When the box arrived, like most packages I receive, it was warm to the touch from sitting in the back of a delivery van. I'm pretty sure the temperatures inside those get pretty hot, could this ruin the fresh PLA? When researching this stuff I've seen people warning not to leave PLA prints inside hot cars but not sure if that applies to the raw material itself before its been through the printing process. Any experiences from people getting PLA shipped in tropical climates would be appreciated.

EDIT: Another, weirder question- I have an internal USB floppy drive (I deal with old computers regularly) and I downloaded Prusa Slicer to mess with it and learn while waiting. Whenever the program is running it seems to be constantly trying to read from that drive, the motors go crazy 100% of the time and don't stop until the program is closed. WTF? I've never seen anything else do this and there doesn't seem to be any setting change to stop it. I know it's a long shot but does anyone know what could be causing this?

e: video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpCkMYkXpK0

Should have googled https://forum.prusaprinters.org/forum/prusaslicer/prusaslicer-trying-to-access-my-floppy-disk-a/

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 16, 2020

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I don't think that it would introduce enough heat to warp the filament, which has more thermal mass than most walls on a print, to warp so severely that the extruder can't cope with it.

The humidity is something else, though. Sealed it's probably fine, but you'll want desiccant packs for storage. PLA sucks up moisture like crazy and it'll gently caress up your print, too.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
something something my garolite spools

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Just starting to print some glass fiber reinforced polypropylene filament on my ender 3 (with microswiss hot end), printing at 270 degrees onto an 80 degree bed with a layer of packing tape. I'm getting the PP filament to fuse to the packing tape and I'm using a 5mm brim but the warping forces are enough to start peeling the tape off the bed. The print still completes ok but it's not ideal. Any ideas? I'm thinking that the adhesive on the packing tape might be softening at that temperature, so one option is to reduce the bed temperature or have it go down after the first layer. Another option I can think of is a larger brim to try to distribute the peeling forces over a larger area.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Egads! My PLA is ruined!

But what if.... I were to pass of some thingiverse pix as my own printing?

Delightfully devilish!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Egads! My PLA is ruined!

But what if.... I were to pass of some thingiverse pix as my own printing?

Delightfully devilish!

Fanged, why is there smoke coming out of your Maker Select V2?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Blackhawk posted:

Just starting to print some glass fiber reinforced polypropylene filament on my ender 3 (with microswiss hot end), printing at 270 degrees onto an 80 degree bed with a layer of packing tape. I'm getting the PP filament to fuse to the packing tape and I'm using a 5mm brim but the warping forces are enough to start peeling the tape off the bed. The print still completes ok but it's not ideal. Any ideas? I'm thinking that the adhesive on the packing tape might be softening at that temperature, so one option is to reduce the bed temperature or have it go down after the first layer. Another option I can think of is a larger brim to try to distribute the peeling forces over a larger area.

How hot does the air get in your enclosure, I've run it up to 50 celsius to reduce warping*

*this number is based on nothing, I can not be responsible if your printer melts or something

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

BMan posted:

How hot does the air get in your enclosure, I've run it up to 50 celsius to reduce warping*

*this number is based on nothing, I can not be responsible if your printer melts or something

I haven't measured it yet, it was definitely warm when I opened it up after the print but it would have been fairly cold at the start. The enclosure is not actively heated and it's winter here (air temp around 15C today), I could pre-heat the bed and leave the box to warm up for a while first I suppose, or use a hot air gun to pre-heat it a bit.

Edit: Also my ender 3 has the flexible magnetic build plate it came with, I took the build plate off and stuck the tape onto the rubbery fridge magnet layer but I suppose that the tape might stick better to glass or aluminium, so clipping a glass or aluminium plate down to the print bed and putting tape on that might resist the peel a bit.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Insulation would also help, I can recommend lining your enclosure with foam panels.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Neat! Jacksonproducts.net has some great upgrades for the elegoo and anycubic resin printers. Dual z rails, and even an upcoming height extension for printing.

Worth taking a peek if you have a SLA printer that he makes mods for.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Anyone know of a decent site to buy 200-500g PLA spools? I want to print some weird color stuff but I don’t want to waste money on a whole 1kg spoil of stuff I’ll never use again when I only need a few hundred grams.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
eBay is a surprisingly good place for sample spools and small spools of stuff.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Deviant posted:

Fanged, why is there smoke coming out of your Maker Select V2?

It's a Maker Select V2, isn't it? :v:

If you don't mod anything and are fine with the periodic printer-swap shipping times it's still a decent deal for the year that the warranty lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Finally pulling the trigger on the Prusa Mini. Is it recommended to get the filament sensor and both sheets? Is there anything else I should buy with it?