Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I think you could create a shortcut that would do all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Y'all know any free apps that will;
1. Say something (entered by user)
2. Wait an amount of time (entered by user)
3. Say something different (entered by user)

-----

I want a Yoga App where I can define intervals and positions, but I can't find any that are free. AKA I want to make a unique yoga class.

So anything that can attain the above features would be appreciated.

These two seem to do what you want.

Intervals Pro - specifically geared towards workouts including yoga
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/intervals-pro-interval-timer/id957586938

1timer - general timer app but supports "timer chains" and does VoiceOver for prompts
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/1timer-voice-timer/id1357874791

They both cost money however, good apps aren't free. Intervals has a free tier and $8 in-app purchase, 1timer is $3

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’ve also used Seconds Pro for HITT where you set up timer chains, each one can have a voice intro, different music, etc. Might work for you. The UI is kind of ugly but it works. It does cost money but I found it worth it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My wife would like to construct a thing that combines text, pictures, and hyperlinks on her iPad and I’m not sure how to do it or if it’s possible/worth the hassle.

For use number one, she’d like to make a sketch of our yard with all the plants labeled. Then (in general terms) if you tap on a plant the view goes to a section with info on that plant (preferably with categories like watering, pest care, pruning time, etc.), and probably a couple of pictures too.

It doesn’t look like Pages can do it, but I’ve only tried for a few minutes. Any suggestions?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My wife would like to construct a thing that combines text, pictures, and hyperlinks on her iPad and I’m not sure how to do it or if it’s possible/worth the hassle.

For use number one, she’d like to make a sketch of our yard with all the plants labeled. Then (in general terms) if you tap on a plant the view goes to a section with info on that plant (preferably with categories like watering, pest care, pruning time, etc.), and probably a couple of pictures too.

It doesn’t look like Pages can do it, but I’ve only tried for a few minutes. Any suggestions?

I think OneNote will allow you to create a diagram, then put objects like text boxes or photos into it, then turn those objects into hyperlinks. Might need a computer to do some parts of that process, I'm not as familiar with the app.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

tuyop posted:

I think OneNote will allow you to create a diagram, then put objects like text boxes or photos into it, then turn those objects into hyperlinks. Might need a computer to do some parts of that process, I'm not as familiar with the app.

Yeah OneNote with hyperlinks to different pages or collapsing text boxes- drawing is better with the Apple Pencil. If you really want to use pages you might need to look at using comments?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looks like Keynote can do it actually, you can select an element > Link, and pick another slide. It looks like it could potentially get confusing while building though, since when you pick a slide it just shows the slide number, and not sure there's a way around that. So if you end up making a whole bunch of slides you have to remember which particular slide is where when linking. And if you link to a webpage (if that was part of the plan) it switches to Safari instead of opening in app.

Something like a personal wiki or mind map w/drawing seems like it'd work well here, but no clue what's out there for that (if there's anything) and searching the App Store right now didn't help. Sounds like OneNote is worth a shot at least if Keynote is too clunky or limited.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, but my gf and I used this to label all the plants in our backyard using AR, since I’m really bad at remembering what’s what: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/candide-labels-plant-id/id1458480487

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

frogbs posted:

I know this isn’t exactly what you’re looking for, but my gf and I used this to label all the plants in our backyard using AR, since I’m really bad at remembering what’s what: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/candide-labels-plant-id/id1458480487

Wow, that is super cool, going to try that out in my yard! Don’t have a lot of gardening going but a lot of shrubs and stuff that would be fun to use that on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*aims at landscaping*

POISON IVY

gently caress

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Data Graham posted:

*aims at landscaping*

POISON IVY

gently caress

Explains so much!!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks to me like OneNote can’t produce links on the iPad, but we’ll check it out more this weekend.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I am SURE this has been discussed here but what are people using for a simple(r) calendar app that works with Google calendar? That isn’t fantastical. Must also have natural language input, an agenda view, be able to invite people, recurring meetings. Don’t need much other stuff like tasks and junk. $$ is okay but hoping to avoid a subscription unless it’s pretty cheap per year.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

crestfallen posted:

I am SURE this has been discussed here but what are people using for a simple(r) calendar app that works with Google calendar? That isn’t fantastical. Must also have natural language input, an agenda view, be able to invite people, recurring meetings. Don’t need much other stuff like tasks and junk. $$ is okay but hoping to avoid a subscription unless it’s pretty cheap per year.

The native GCal app gets you everything except natural language.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

crestfallen posted:

Give Calendars by Readdle a look
https://readdle.com/calendars5

They have a free version and a paid version, not sure what's locked in the free version. It's very good on iPad as well.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 8, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
BusyCal is good.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll give those a look! (I have the gcal app now and... it’s okay I guess.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has anyone had their HomeKit disappear recently? I updated to the latest iOS version and realized that is no longer on my phone. Control center doesn’t have an option to add it and I can’t download it from the App Store anymore.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Warbird posted:

Has anyone had their HomeKit disappear recently? I updated to the latest iOS version and realized that is no longer on my phone. Control center doesn’t have an option to add it and I can’t download it from the App Store anymore.

App is just “home” now, still there for me.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Home, yes. It finally downloaded overnight and I had to readd it to the Control Center. Not sure what caused all that to happen.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi yes hello please can one of you please tell me how in the GODDAMN gently caress I am supposed to change my icloud.com email account password?

I have a icloud.com email account my email address is email_address@icloud.com I got it for my iPhone, but I forgot the password to it a long FUCKSHITTING time ago. I need to do a password recovery on it, and I can’t CHRISTSHITFUCKING find a way to do it from my email app or my account page, and for some MOTHERSHITBUTTFUCKING reason, google won’t tell me how to do it. Google isn’t giving me anything except how to change my Apple ID.

You would think Apple would make this process easier, but they don’t.

How do I recover my icloud.com email password (NOT MY loving APPLE ID PASSWORD)? Please and thank you :)

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

An iCloud.com email account is an Apple ID.

iforgot.apple.com

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

empty baggie posted:

iforgot.apple.com

Apparently no it isn’t, cuz I just changed my Apple ID password and I still can’t login to my icloud.com email account.

EDIT: Yeah they are definitely NOT the same. I just pulled up an iCloud account settings page and it’s telling me that my iCloud email password is 16 characters, which I have no loving idea what that could be, I have never used a password that long in my entire life except here for some reason. My new Apple ID is way less characters than that.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 15, 2020

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Apparently no it isn’t, cuz I just changed my Apple ID password and I still can’t login to my icloud.com email account.

EDIT: Yeah they are definitely NOT the same. I just pulled up an iCloud account settings page and it’s telling me that my iCloud email password is 16 characters, which I have no loving idea what that could be, I have never used a password that long in my entire life except here for some reason. My new Apple ID is way less characters than that.

But did you enter the iCloud email into iforgot.apple.com? Not your Apple ID but the email that you don’t know the password for.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

the placeholder isn’t an indicator of the actual length of your password. it’s always 16 doots i think

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

empty baggie posted:

iforgot.apple.com

My point here was that even though it’s not your Apple ID, Apple seems to consider all iCloud email accounts as Apple ID’s, so if you want to reset an iCloud email password, whether you’re using it as an Apple ID or not, try using iforgot.apple.com to reset the password. I’m pretty sure it will work. I’m sorry if my initial post wasn’t clear enough.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi yes hello please can one of you please tell me how in the GODDAMN gently caress I am supposed to change my icloud.com email account password?

I have a icloud.com email account my email address is email_address@icloud.com I got it for my iPhone, but I forgot the password to it a long FUCKSHITTING time ago. I need to do a password recovery on it, and I can’t CHRISTSHITFUCKING find a way to do it from my email app or my account page, and for some MOTHERSHITBUTTFUCKING reason, google won’t tell me how to do it. Google isn’t giving me anything except how to change my Apple ID.

You would think Apple would make this process easier, but they don’t.

How do I recover my icloud.com email password (NOT MY loving APPLE ID PASSWORD)? Please and thank you :)

You have to create an app specific password to check the mail from an app.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I just pulled up an iCloud account settings page and it’s telling me that my iCloud email password is 16 characters, which I have no loving idea what that could be, I have never used a password that long in my entire life except here for some reason.
yeah, apple’s almost certainly not surfacing how many characters your password is.

also i know not every bit of tech support advice on the internet is correct, but it just takes a quick google to see a universal agreement that an icloud account and apple id are the same thing (which is correct). afaik the only way you’d have a “separate” apple id and icloud account is if you just ended up making two accounts at some point.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t know what your problem is but I can log into iCloud.com with my Apple ID email which is email@something.com. This lets me access my email@icloud.com email account on iCloud.com. To sign into my iCloud email in an app, any app, I need to make an app specific password.

Apple doesn’t know your password is 16 characters btw. If they did this is a massive issue as it means they store your password in plaintext.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

empty baggie posted:

But did you enter the iCloud email into iforgot.apple.com? Not your Apple ID but the email that you don’t know the password for.

My Apple ID IS the email I don’t know the password for.

empty baggie posted:

My point here was that even though it’s not your Apple ID, Apple seems to consider all iCloud email accounts as Apple ID’s, so if you want to reset an iCloud email password, whether you’re using it as an Apple ID or not, try using iforgot.apple.com to reset the password. I’m pretty sure it will work. I’m sorry if my initial post wasn’t clear enough.

I already tried iforgot.apple.com. I tried it before I posted here. It only lets you reset your Apple ID password (which I did); there ain’t jack poo poo on there for resetting your iCloud Mail password. At least, not that I could see. And I looked. If there is a way to change my iCloud Mail password on that site, I’d love for someone to tell me where it is.

I have now reset my Apple ID password twice today while trying to fix this poo poo.

sleepwalkers posted:

also i know not every bit of tech support advice on the internet is correct, but it just takes a quick google to see a universal agreement that an icloud account and apple id are the same thing (which is correct). afaik the only way you’d have a “separate” apple id and icloud account is if you just ended up making two accounts at some point.

An iCloud account and an Apple ID are the same thing with the same password, yes.

An iCloud Mail account, however, can apparently have a different password from the Apple ID/iCloud account in general. This is the problem I am having.

My Apple ID/general iCloud account password doesn’t work on my iCloud Mail account.

Actually I should rephrase that sentence: None of my three Apple ID/general iCloud account passwords — the original one or the two new ones I reset it to today — work on my iCloud Mail account. I have tried all three of them, multiple times, and before some smartass suggests that resetting the Apple ID password might’ve hosed things up, NO IT DIDN’T. BOTH TIMES I RESET THAT APPLE ID PASSWORD, I SIGNED OUT OF MY GENERAL ICLOUD ACCOUNT ON ALL OF MY DEVICES, AND THEN SIGNED BACK IN ON ALL OF THEM WITH THE NEWLY-CHANGED PASSWORDS BEFORE I TRIED USING THEM TO LOGIN TO MY ICLOUD MAIL ACCOUNT. And they still didn’t work.

I could not find anything on Google about how to reset an iCloud Mail password. I found tons of stuff about how to reset an Apple ID/general iCloud account password, but nothing on how to reset an iCloud Mail password.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Go to icloud.com and log in with your Apple ID. Tap on the Mail app icon. Is this your @icloud.com email address that you're trying to access?

If it is, then go to https://appleid.apple.com/account/manage and generate an app specific password. This is your @icloud.com email address password. Ideally you would generate a new password for every email client you want to use.

There is no such thing as an icloud.com email password (anymore, if there were ever one). You log in via your Apple ID, and you generate app specific passwords for each app you want to access your email account, calendars, contacts, whatever. For obvious reasons, Apple will not let you log into your iCloud email account using your Apple ID and password as that gives the app access to your entire Apple ID account.

E: vvv Well, that’s one way to figure out who has me on ignore :lol: vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 16, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL gently caress MY rear end

I decided to try Google ONE LAST TIME and it finally spit out the solution to my problem!

Turns out I just needed something called an “app-specific password” which is a thing you can get from your iCloud account profile page. You click a couple of links and it farts out an auto-generated character string that you can use as a login password with your Apple ID on third-party apps that connect to your iCloud account, like iCloud Mail.

I can’t help but feel like Apple is to blame for this taking me 12 hours to fix because they completely failed to make this information easier to find.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

You were told 5 hours ago that you needed to make an app specific password. So to be fair it should have taken you only 7 hours. Those 5 hours are 100% on you.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

I decided to try Google ONE LAST TIME and it finally spit out the solution to my problem!

Turns out I just needed something called an “app-specific password” which is a thing you can get from your iCloud account profile page. You click a couple of links and it farts out an auto-generated character string that you can use as a login password with your Apple ID on third-party apps that connect to your iCloud account, like iCloud Mail.

I can’t help but feel like Apple is to blame for this taking me 12 hours to fix because they completely failed to make this information easier to find.

XBenedict posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

Do you just come here to rant about a problem and then NOT READ THE SOLUTION posters in this thread supplied?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Didn't you know? This is a blog site, not a forum.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

An iCloud Mail account, however, can apparently have a different password from the Apple ID/iCloud account in general. This is the problem I am having.
yeah, so when people were telling you this literally isn't a thing, they meant this literally isn't a thing.

I. M. Gei posted:

aside from the part everyone's already said, there's an entire page on apple's support site about 2fa that's very relevant to you:

Apple support posted:

Generate app-specific passwords
With two-factor authentication, you need an app-specific password to sign in to your account using third-party apps or services such as email, contacts, or calendar apps not provided by Apple. Follow these steps to generate an app-specific password:

Sign in to your Apple ID account page.
Click Generate Password below App-Specific Passwords.
Follow the steps on your screen.
After you generate your app-specific password, enter or paste it into the password field of the app as you would normally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I swear on the stupid puzzle game I play that practically 80% of the ads are for scam ‘win money’ games now. I’m kinda surprised that Apple hasn’t clamped down on this poo poo on the AppStore. Seems the kinda crap they would’ve completely blocked a few years ago.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Proteus Jones posted:

Do you just come here to rant about a problem and then NOT READ THE SOLUTION posters in this thread supplied?

No, actually. I found the answer about an hour before I even made that post (and like an hour and a half before Boris Galerkin posted after that).

I was literally halfway through typing the very last sentence in that post when I decided to try Google one more time and found my answer............ but I’d already written up pretty much the whole post, and it was a long post and it took me like an hour to type it, and I went gently caress it and posted it anyway thinking I’d come back 10 or 15 minutes later to say I found the solution but it ended up being more like 2 and a half hours later so it didn’t look as good.

EDIT:

At 10:35 PM, a full 2 hours before I found the answer myself, XBenedict posted:

.................................... gently caress

............... well your post didn’t say how to do that and I still found the instructions by myself so whatev :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

I. M. Gei posted:

but I’d already written up pretty much the whole post, and it was a long post and it took me like an hour to type it, and I went gently caress it and posted it anyway
:goonsay: