Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Passata is uncooked tomato puree. It's Italian in origin. Your supermarket may well have it among the other jarred/bottled pasta sauces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
worst case, can also just whip it up

mystes
May 31, 2006

How can passata be shelf stable if it's uncooked?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

mystes posted:

How can passata be shelf stable if it's uncooked?

Good question.
It seems that commercial passatas are heated to high temps to pasteurize them

Here's the process that Mutti uses for their passata

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Made a ganache and it was pretty good but the texture was not meltingly smooth, it felt oddly grainy on my tongue as it melted (not enough to be unpleasant, but enough to be noticeable). Did I mess something up? It was just chocolate, heated cream, and a few ground spices then I stuck it into the fridge covered with plastic wrap.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bob dobbs is dead posted:

worst case, can also just whip it up

like, throw a can of tomatoes into a blender?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fresh not canned and food processor is fairly better cuz blenders can cook

gotta strain also. depends heavily on tomato source whether it makes a positive difference wrt normal tomato puree

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Made a ganache and it was pretty good but the texture was not meltingly smooth, it felt oddly grainy on my tongue as it melted (not enough to be unpleasant, but enough to be noticeable). Did I mess something up? It was just chocolate, heated cream, and a few ground spices then I stuck it into the fridge covered with plastic wrap.

What spices and how finely ground were they?
You might be able to get a better textured product if you infuse the spice into the cream first and then strain it before heating it to add to the chocolate.
You can still heat up your existing ganache (gently!) and strain it through a fine mesh strainer.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Thumposaurus posted:

What spices and how finely ground were they?
You might be able to get a better textured product if you infuse the spice into the cream first and then strain it before heating it to add to the chocolate.
You can still heat up your existing ganache (gently!) and strain it through a fine mesh strainer.

The finest setting on a peugot for black pepper, and the rest (cinnamon and ginger) in a coffee grinder repurposed for spice grinding. Small enough to not be caught in a fine mesh strainer, I think.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The thing is with ganache the fats from the chocolate and cream melt in your mouth at body temperature the spices no matter how finely ground will not.

If you're starting with whole spices infuse that into your cream first you can do it cold in the fridge or by gently simmering them in the cream on the stove top. You'd have to make it stronger than you think in the cream alone the chocolate will mute the flavors down a bit.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Is there a thread or place around here to talk about grills? We bought a house a couple months ago and want to get a grill but I have no idea where to start. Gas, charcoal, pellet; they all sound good to me and I'm having problems figuring out how to decide what to get.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

nesbit37 posted:

Is there a thread or place around here to talk about grills? We bought a house a couple months ago and want to get a grill but I have no idea where to start. Gas, charcoal, pellet; they all sound good to me and I'm having problems figuring out how to decide what to get.

Charcoal makes for superior cooking, but you simply cannot beat the convenience of clean burning and efficient propane. My setup is a gas grill next to my outdoor wok, and I use it 3-4 times a week. I also keep a konro grill for when I really want to accentuate coal flavor, though.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

nesbit37 posted:

You can get a dual chamber grill surprisingly cheap so you can have both charcoal and propane based on what you're cooking and how much time you have.

Here is an example. Lowes has a different brand but effectively the same grill. You'll sacrifice on total cook surface for the price but depending on how many people you cook for and what you cook this may not be a dealbreaker.

I've thought about going this route to replace my current grill, which was both cheaply made and poorly maintained so its rusted through, but I think I am gonna go with the classic weber ufo dome and splurge on a higher-end smoker instead.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
As for the pellet grills, they're basically everything that's nice about charcoal plus the convenience of gas. But they are $$$ for that compromise. If you are new to grilling, I'd honestly suggest you start off with a cheap weber-clone (the ones that look sort of like flying saucers on legs), and get a bag of decent lump charcoal, and give it a few shots.

If you're fairly new to grilling, my biggest advice is to not drop crazy money on a setup until you've decided it's something you want to do a lot of. There are probably a million $2000 grills out there that sit on patios and get used like four times a year.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cha...-garden&sr=1-10

This one is $30 for an 18" grill. That'll do two decent sized steaks and a couple ears of corn at once, or a 8 to 12 burgers at one go.

This is a good style grill to develop good grilling habits with - lighting charcoal without lighter fluid, getting an even bed of coals to cook on, learning hot to make hot and cool zones, etc.
And even if you decide you want to go gas or pellet or a fancier charcoal after this, you will STILL get use out of a grill like this. Sooner or later you'll want to go to the beach, or car camping, or whatever, and you can break this guy down and move it around really easily.

For accessories, you want:

A charcoal chimney: should run you around $15-$25 if you pick one up at a hardware store
A proper set of grilling tongs, with long handles and wide, flat-ish "gripping ends" so you can get burgers flipped without maiming them.
A proper grill spatula with a long handle
A brass brush for cleaning the grill rack. I got a 3" diameter one that fits in my cordless drill and use that - it was $5 at Harbor Freight.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve got a load of plums from the garden, and the kids have demanded plum jam. Does anyone have a good recipe?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I bought some gochujang cause I've never tried it but I also don't really have any experience with Korean food. I don't eat meat. Should I make veggie/tofu/rice bowls and use gochujang as an element in the sauce, or is there something else amazing that I can do?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Hey GWS, it's been forever since I've posted in here because 3 kids means I don't have much time for fancy cooking like I did a decade ago.

But, need a recommendation for a waffle iron if anyone has one they can recommend.

NOT a belgian iron. Just a plain old fashioned thin-waffle iron. It seems like everything good is belgian, and our Kohls special one just died (and was crappy anyway) so don't want to replace it with another $15 special.

Would love one that can cook quickly or more than one at once, because of feeding aforementioned 3 kids that are rapidly progressing to their teen years.

Any recommendations?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

I bought some gochujang cause I've never tried it but I also don't really have any experience with Korean food. I don't eat meat. Should I make veggie/tofu/rice bowls and use gochujang as an element in the sauce, or is there something else amazing that I can do?

You should absolutely do that, it’s called “bibimbap” and one of the biggest Korean culinary exports. Just do a mixture of veggies you like/are in season, some fried tofu, and optionally a fried egg (raw egg is also common in Korea). The sauce is just a mix of the gochujang, watered down a bit, and maybe with some sesame oil in it and optionally sesame seeds. Plate it by putting the veggies in piles on top of the rice, add the sauce to taste and mix it up.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

I really enjoyed this gochujang/honey/soy cauliflower.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can anyone recommend a cookbook for the nuts and bolts of Puerto Rican cooking, especially looking for one that does not shy away from using "hard to find" ingredients.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

I’ve got a load of plums from the garden, and the kids have demanded plum jam. Does anyone have a good recipe?

I've done this a lot, since before I lived in Vegas I had zillions of plum trees to work with.

The thing with plums is that they vary so widely as to acidity and sugar level, even on the same tree. So you'll need to do a lot of testing and correcting, and have the following things ready:

Your plums (unskinned, but chopped up)
Sugar
Fruit pectin
Lemon juice
Butter
Water

Start by placing your plums into the saucepan with just enough water that you can simmer them. As they start to liquify during the cooking process, you'll add your sugar in a ratio of roughly 2-1 plums to sugar. Once thoroughly combined, take a small spoon full and hold it well above the saucepan - if the jam is running off in drops, then it's not jelling enough. If it's running off in a single sheet, then it's ready. Taste the jam on the spoon - if it needs sugar, add some. If it needs acidity, add some lemon juice. If you've been simmering the jam for 10 minutes and nothing is happening with the spoon test, add some prepared pectin with a small amount of butter to prevent foaming. Try again and it should pass the gel test. I realize this isn't the most scientific set of instructions, but this is one of those things learned at grandma's apron-strings so it's hard to quantify the feel of things exactly.

I would also suggest you make plum butter if you have a chance. This is really easy - just combine plums with sugar in a 3-2 ratio, add some spices such as cinnamon and cloves, and then cook them on low in a slow cooker for 15-20 hours until nicely caramelized. (I suppose you could also use a heavy lidded pot in the oven for 3-4 hours if the oven is set to no more than 300 F, but I've never done that). When cool, place in jars and voila, plum butter. Really good stuff.

Aaaaaaand if you have extra plums after all of this, I highly suggest you use them to make plum jerkum for your own use like they do in the Cotswolds.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In the "something else" camp, mix 1:1 gochujang and olive oil, season with soy sauce and optional sugar/honey, and glaze veggies before and after roasting. I love winter squashes this way!

mystes
May 31, 2006

This looks really good. I'm definitely going to try it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Eeyo posted:

You should absolutely do that, it’s called “bibimbap” and one of the biggest Korean culinary exports. Just do a mixture of veggies you like/are in season, some fried tofu, and optionally a fried egg (raw egg is also common in Korea). The sauce is just a mix of the gochujang, watered down a bit, and maybe with some sesame oil in it and optionally sesame seeds. Plate it by putting the veggies in piles on top of the rice, add the sauce to taste and mix it up.

bibimbap almost wo exception has meat in it so unless you are in america or a hipster place in seoul and they actually say its a veggie bibimbap dont assume that bibimbap is vegetarian anywhere outside of your own kitchen

cant assume any korean food is vegetarian even if it sounds like it should be. kimchi has oysters and or fish sauce like 60-95% of the time depending on region

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

stealie72 posted:

Hey GWS, it's been forever since I've posted in here because 3 kids means I don't have much time for fancy cooking like I did a decade ago.

But, need a recommendation for a waffle iron if anyone has one they can recommend.

NOT a belgian iron. Just a plain old fashioned thin-waffle iron. It seems like everything good is belgian, and our Kohls special one just died (and was crappy anyway) so don't want to replace it with another $15 special.

Would love one that can cook quickly or more than one at once, because of feeding aforementioned 3 kids that are rapidly progressing to their teen years.

Any recommendations?

If no one responds, maybe try over in the kitchen equipment thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

captkirk posted:

If no one responds, maybe try over in the kitchen equipment thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739
Oh, I should have done that to start. Thank you!

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Is there anything in particular that anyone here is embarressed or self conscious to buy at the grocery store? I've been wanting to buy coconut flavored canned soda water but for some reason I'm just embarrassed to, like the check out person will think I'm weird. I'm a little embarrassed about buying fresh vegetables too like, I wonder if the check outter thinks I'm pretentious or something for eating healthy foods.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
1. Check out people don't give the slightest gently caress what you're buying and just want you to be a polite and efficient customer who isn't going to make their day terrible. Unless you're buying some really obviously weird selection of items like peanut butter, lube and dog treats.

2. It doesn't matter what other people think of what's in your trolley in the slightest, even if they did give a poo poo (they don't). If you do live in a society where buying vegetables marks you out as someone to be mocked then the problem is with the society, not you, and you absolutely shouldn't want to conform.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
While it is true that nobody cares, and if they do, it's them being an rear end in a top hat and not you for wanting to buy something you want, I personally dealt with a lot, and I mean a lot of self-conscious anxiety about this issue when I was younger. A lot of this was because I worked in retail, and my own mess of personal and social anxieties was making -me- hypervigilant about what customers were buying, so I erroneously felt like everyone was paying an inordinate amount of attention to me, too.

What helped me get over it was being able to use self-checkout options in places where it was available, and after a while I got comfortable with the experience and it just clicked in my brain that there's no difference between that and using a regular checkout.

Therapy and drugs, too.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

excellent bird guy posted:

Is there anything in particular that anyone here is embarressed or self conscious to buy at the grocery store? I've been wanting to buy coconut flavored canned soda water but for some reason I'm just embarrassed to, like the check out person will think I'm weird. I'm a little embarrassed about buying fresh vegetables too like, I wonder if the check outter thinks I'm pretentious or something for eating healthy foods.

I worked retail as a cashier and the only time something was ever awkward to ring up was when an elderly coworker was buying enemas and then explained at length that they were for his wife. Nobody's gonna give a poo poo if you're buying food at a grocery store (that's why they exist), and you're probably supposed to be wearing a face mask anyway so nobody knows who you are.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I have weird self-consciousness about buying like 10 (small) tins of cat food at once even though that's an extremely normal thing to do given shopping once a week and owning two cats, doesn't stop me doing it though. Buy the veggies and the coconut soda water! I don't think anyone's going to think you're pretentious for eating fresh vegetables, if they're going to read way into it they're probably more likely to assume you have your poo poo together and be envious.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Oh ok, thanks. In a city it's a bit different but I'm an out of towner in a really small town. The kind of place where the check out lady will ask me who my folks are and try to pry information out of me. It's not really a problem though and it's usually cool mindless stuff.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

if anything, cashiers appear to be intrigued by fresh ingredients. I’m always getting questions about “oh, what do you even use this for?"

Which is great for me, because I like talking with strangers.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Just do this

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
When I was 18 I worked 3rd shift at a grocery store, and was checking out a couple guys right around our 'lunch' and saw the 3 cans of baking powder, and asked 'Doing some baking?' co-worker in line with a tv dinner nearly swallowed his tongue. How was I supposed to know what you cook crack cocaine out of?

The guys just mumbled 'yeah' and looked at me weird.

Buy your chow, coconut juice, and know they will most likely forget you 30 seconds after you walk out.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I worked in a grocery store. Never cared what people were buying. Though I would judge people who looked like weirdos or jack asses that demanded I double paper bag their stuff.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

BrianBoitano posted:

if anything, cashiers appear to be intrigued by fresh ingredients. I’m always getting questions about “oh, what do you even use this for?"

Which is great for me, because I like talking with strangers.

I once bought some baking supplies at a grocery store and the cashier said, "I've always wondered what the difference was between brown sugar and regular sugar."
:eng99:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been asked multiple times "Are you a pro chef?" because I was buying vegetables instead of packaged foods.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I always use self checkout so it's been years since I've interacted with checkout clerks on a regular basis.

My most common human interaction in grocery stores is tiny old women asking me to reach something for them off a shelf they can't reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I cant self checkout because im always buying alcohol

I always need the clerk to check me out