Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
The sequel to Consortium is the only game I've helped crowdfund that I genuinely don't think will actually be finished, despite a playable-to-a-degree Early Access version sitting in my backlog for like three years now. It doesn't seem like they're making any sort of meaningful progress on it at all sadly, but admittedly I haven't been following it very closely. The devs were also sort of implicated as lovely employers in Nathalie Lawhead's outing of Jeremy Soule last year and as far as I know never addressed any of that at all, so that kind of soured me on it as well.

I really did like that first game a lot, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Consortium: The Tower will be the first failure to deliver for a Fig project I believe?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Glare Seethe posted:

I really did like that first game a lot, though.
Why tho?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

DatonKallandor posted:

Consortium: The Tower will be the first failure to deliver for a Fig project I believe?

A different Consortium game is coming which is called Whispers From The Rift. It's supposed to be something slightly reminiscent of a visual novel, but much more interactive, that will tide people over until The Tower is complete (it is happening, albeit slowly). I can't say when Whispers is coming out since it depends on what issues crop up, but probably maybe later this year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fascinated by how this month's Humble choice has TWO Factorio-likes, neither of which are more interesting to play than Factorio. Props for trying I guess?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

I thought it was interesting. Conceptually I like the idea of a game that takes place in a relatively small space, but it being packed with detail and content. Consortium comes pretty close to Warren Spector's "one city block" idea which is right up my alley. And especially since there were multiple things happening in different areas of the ship/plane at any time and you obviously couldn't be everywhere at once. Between that and the many ways that you could conduct yourself and navigate encounters the game could unfold in a lot of different ways. It wasn't perfect by any means but I thought it was pretty successful at what it tried to do.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Anyone know what's going on with my Steam Library? It's showing that I have Darkest Dungeon installed (and I navigated to the files so it's not a glitch or anything), but it won't let me play it. I thought that maybe it was something my boyfriend had bought and he turned off family sharing, but I can access other games that I know are his and play them just fine. But anytime I try and play Darkest Dungeon it just takes me to the store page. I thought maybe it was a free to play weekend or something, but it looks like I installed the game in May.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Glare Seethe posted:

I thought it was interesting. Conceptually I like the idea of a game that takes place in a relatively small space, but it being packed with detail and content. Consortium comes pretty close to Warren Spector's "one city block" idea which is right up my alley. And especially since there were multiple things happening in different areas of the ship/plane at any time and you obviously couldn't be everywhere at once. Between that and the many ways that you could conduct yourself and navigate encounters the game could unfold in a lot of different ways. It wasn't perfect by any means but I thought it was pretty successful at what it tried to do.

Yeah that concept is very appealing but it's gotta be super difficult to pull off.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Soysaucebeast posted:

I thought maybe it was a free to play weekend or something, but it looks like I installed the game in May.
Yeah Free Weekend: https://www.pcgamer.com/darkest-dungeons-pvp-mode-comes-out-tomorrow-and-its-free-for-everyone/

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

pentyne posted:

Finished Yakuza Kiwami 1, still not sure why there were so many people were saying to skip it. Yeah its pretty same-y as Yakuza 0 but it takes almost the entire cast from 0 and has you find out where they end up going in to Kiwami 2 so its a ton of detail and lore you're missing out if you played Yakuza 0.

The goonmind sometimes gets stuck on stupid opinions and this is one of those cases. All Yakuza games are good as hell and I can't wait for Y3-6 to hit Steam.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, it's got some bad design choices, and is bad compared to the rest of the series, but that doesn't stop it from being good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Terminally Bored posted:

The goonmind sometimes gets stuck on stupid opinions and this is one of those cases. All Yakuza games are good as hell and I can't wait for Y3-6 to hit Steam.

“This game isn’t as good as some of the others” often gets hyperbolized into “don’t bother playing this stinker” by the people sharing the opinion

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fallom posted:

people sharing the opinion

I think you mean GOON HIVEMIND

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Finished Yakuza Kiwami 1, still not sure why there were so many people were saying to skip it. Yeah its pretty same-y as Yakuza 0 but it takes almost the entire cast from 0 and has you find out where they end up going in to Kiwami 2 so its a ton of detail and lore you're missing out if you played Yakuza 0.

The main story is pretty good, and while the side quests weren't as engaging or interesting as 0 you need to play them to grind up your level to make combat easier. Fighting definitely felt worse then 0 for some reason, and once I maxed out the combat damage levels I dropped doing the side quests and just went straight through the story.

The Majima stuff adds another level of stuff to do while wandering the city, but like the side quests I stopped bothering with it when I maxed combat damage.

It sounds like you covered why people who are fans of a series known for combat and side quests didn’t like a game in the series with worse combat and worse side quests. :shrug:

A lot of the “skip Kiwami” is in response to people saying they’re going to play that one first, where they’ll end up missing out on what makes the series good anyway, but it’s a pretty hefty step down from the other games as-is.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Fallom posted:

“This game isn’t as good as some of the others” often gets hyperbolized into “don’t bother playing this stinker” by the people sharing the opinion

Yes, and that's stupid.

Kiwami is a great improvement over the original Yakuza and the last game made on last gen engine which is why it still has bowling and pool minigames (these have not come back for 6, Kiwami 2 and Judgment). It has maybe the best Tiger Drop move in the series but but's way more difficult than 0. The bosses have lots of health and it seems that people were not ready for that since every game after Kiwami was way easier.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone tried out Pop-Up dungeon...Worth it?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Kiwami 0 and Kiwami 2 are incredible and Kiwami 1 is merely very good.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Pwnstar posted:

Kiwami 0

Man, now I'm wondering if this would be possible to pull off. Especially since 0 gives myself and half my friends who've tried it the "maxes GPU usage and causes the game to freeze while the drivers crash and have to reset every 10 seconds" issue.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I started with Kiwami 0 and I liked it, but I didn't have the context of any of the past games to make it super substantial to me. I enjoyed the characters, but the fighting was a bit annoying, and really dampened the boss fights with otherwise cool characters.

By the time I was into Kiwami 1, I was invested in Kiryu and Majima, so even 'Majima Everywhere' cracked me the gently caress up. I probably enjoyed it a bit more than 0, even if 0 is 'a better game'.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Man, now I'm wondering if this would be possible to pull off. Especially since 0 gives myself and half my friends who've tried it the "maxes GPU usage and causes the game to freeze while the drivers crash and have to reset every 10 seconds" issue.

I would love to see 0 in the Dragon Engine, but a huuuuge part of 0 is that it has everything that had been in the series so far, so I don’t see that happening until the rebuild all the cut side activities in the new engine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You aren't a real Yakuza fan unless you go back and play the all the games in release order.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would love to see 0 in the Dragon Engine, but a huuuuge part of 0 is that it has everything that had been in the series so far, so I don’t see that happening until the rebuild all the cut side activities in the new engine.

Also the combat in dragon engine is worse than in the previous one. Less precise, input lag on every move. Visually awesome and has more crowd options but 1vs1 is way better in 5, 0 and K1. Combat in Judgment is just straight up bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

Also the combat in dragon engine is worse than in the previous one. Less precise, input lag on every move. Visually awesome and has more crowd options but 1vs1 is way better in 5, 0 and K1. Combat in Judgment is just straight up bad.

1v1 has always been pretty rough in Yakuza games. I really liked the combat in 6, but a lot of that is because they got rid of meatwall multi-health bar enemies. Of course, they brought them back in K2.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Multi health bar enemies have been in Yakuza games forever. They're not the problem. Dragon Engine games feel absolutely less precise to control and the combat is way more chaotic because of that. Kiwami 2 was the only DE game to feature a Coliseum and then they moved to turn-based combat in 7, I think there was a reason for that.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
whats going on with my Steam? it looks like this constantly, i have no network problems.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are there any details out there about the trappings around the core gameplay of Flight Simulator? I think it'd be cool if it presented missions to you like "Plot a route and carry 800 passengers from X to Y" or a daily with completion time leaderboards or something.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

explosivo posted:

Are there any details out there about the trappings around the core gameplay of Flight Simulator? I think it'd be cool if it presented missions to you like "Plot a route and carry 800 passengers from X to Y" or a daily with completion time leaderboards or something.

The core gameplay is "fly a plane".

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The core gameplay is "fly a plane".

Yes I know that and I will fly planes but was wondering if there's going to be objectives or jobs or something.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Sounds like not at the moment. Some tutorials, some "landing challenges", some designated sightseeing trips in small planes ("bush missions"). Devs talk briefly about some vague thoughts about future plans here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRnshNpwMw&t=451s

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JLaw posted:

Sounds like not at the moment.

Cool, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

explosivo posted:

Yes I know that and I will fly planes but was wondering if there's going to be objectives or jobs or something.

pilot

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

explosivo posted:

need that IL-2 Sturmovik 2020 collab

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Turns out I had just skipped a bunch of dungeons in Remnant so maybe don’t do that and wonder why you haven’t found stuff.

Innocuous Owl
Apr 9, 2011

Sneaky Pig!
Bought Siralim Ultimate on the recommendation of this thread and I am enjoying it immensely! I played Siralim 1 a long time ago and didn't get super into it but this one is hitting the spot. There's so much variety for a monster collecting style game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Turns out I had just skipped a bunch of dungeons in Remnant so maybe don’t do that and wonder why you haven’t found stuff.

There's gonna be a dungeon at the end of every branch of every map, more or less, if you didn't already stumble onto that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I beat Persona 4: The Golden. 120 hours, oh my Christ how

This version of the game has like a post-game dungeon, and I made the stupid mistake of selling off all my armor and weapons right before entering it. I did this because I assumed that the game would not allow me to sell the things I had equipped. But no; secretly, there are default armor and weapons that don't even show up on the list of things to sell! So here I am, getting ready, I've sold everything, and I'm planning on using the last of my money for items or whatever because this is the last dungeon but oh no I'm back to level 1 armor and weapons! After a hundred goddamn hours of this goddamn game! What a buffoon I was! I could repurchase many of these weapons and armor, but I didn't have enough to buy back all the good ones and anyway, all the GOOD armor and weapons I had were from quests, not stuff that can be purchased.

It all got resolved, though. The final dungeon has its own weapons and armor it gives you.

I think this game probably led a lot of lonely otakus to suicide.

Edit: Not for the reason mentioned above, but because of loneliness.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

There's gonna be a dungeon at the end of every branch of every map, more or less, if you didn't already stumble onto that.

I did. I just forgot about them the first time. Also I think I thought they all led to the same place (behind a locked door) maybe? Either way it was dumb.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Innocuous Owl posted:

Bought Siralim Ultimate on the recommendation of this thread and I am enjoying it immensely! I played Siralim 1 a long time ago and didn't get super into it but this one is hitting the spot. There's so much variety for a monster collecting style game.

Do you have to get in on the 30 dollar level to get it now?

Innocuous Owl
Apr 9, 2011

Sneaky Pig!
Yeah, you have to buy in to the alpha version. I'm not sure when beta comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Siralim 3 is fully complete and also very good. It's also quite a bit cheaper at only 15$.