Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Which new Tomb Raider game was good again? I think Rise is not the good one, so far.

The irony is that I was spoiled by Yakuza 5's hunting section, which was not great.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I think the consensus is they get gradually worse? So TR2013 > Rise > Shadow

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Fix posted:

Which new Tomb Raider game was good again? I think Rise is not the good one, so far.

The first one's really good, Rise is a little rougher in spots but has some great moments, the third one's okay.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dang, ok. Thanks. I wanted a bit more uncharted and Rise started with it and then went to some kinds of nonsense. It was like Namco Bandai took over the series but tried to stay true.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 16, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think each game in the series is kind of a 7.5 - 8.0 experience with things I like more and less.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It's all right, I was just wasting time while Blood and Wine downloaded, so it's time to finish the Witcher.

That said, the opening to Rise of the Tomb Raider was pretty good, but then it became not good.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How's the Destroy All Human remake ?

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I'm towards the end of a Tomb Raider pandemic run. My brief thoughts:

The Tomb Raider Reboot was interesting, but might seem really derivative today. Introduces the bow/arrow and climby axes.

Tomb Raider: This Time in Siberia (Rise of the Tomb Raider?): Bigger "open" world sections. Good number of optional tombs that give you stuff. Weird, fun mix of old Soviet-era bases and ancient megastructures. Fairly balanced with regard to exploration and combat areas. Weak story and delivery, which was kind of surprising since Rhianna Pratchett was the writer. Baba Yaga DLC was interesting. This one is/was free with PS+ with all DLC

Tomb Raider: South America (Shadow of the Tomb Raider?): Amazing tombs and megastructures. Lush jungles teeming with life. Even bigger "open" world areas for hunting and exploration. Maybe a dozen long-ish side missions, and the same number of lovingly-crafted tombs, and the same number of simpler crypts. Honestly, I've gotten tomb exhaustion with this one, it seems like you're *constantly* in a tomb, or on your way to a tomb... like, can a Tomb Raider have TOO MANY tombs? There's a lot more swimming, but really nothing much new mechanic-wise. Really, really cut down on the fighting, which is good and bad, in that the fighting at least broke up some of the tomb-ing. The story is actually pretty interesting, and there are a lot of little story threads that humanize both the good and bad NPCs. $20 with all DLC on PS+ right now.

I think if I hadn't played the second in the series before the third, that the latter might be my favorite. I'm a sucker for Incan ruins and giant gold-and-jade encrusted circular doors, wet with jungle humidity, and this one has those things in spades... it just also has them in diamonds, clubs, and hearts. Again, not sure I can fault a Tomb Raider game for having too many tombs... maybe it's just the gameplay mechanics are all so standard now, even if the tombs themselves have variety.

You almost never push boxes, so that puts them a step above the Uncharted games.

It's a little alarming how violent Lara is, especially in the last one. Her go-to stealth takedown is a climbing axe to the skull, followed up by another climbing axe to the chest. Also you can shoot llamas with flare guns for XP, or pet tame ones in town.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That's enough writeup to make me give it a bit more time. I see the hooks, but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hyper Scape doesn't seem bad and I'll probably give it a little more time, but playing it tonight sort of made me realize that most of the appeal behind BR to me is playing tacticool """realistic"" bullshit. Which explains why I find Fortnite and Apex terrible and I'm hopelessly addicted to Warzone and played PUBG for months despite it being a bad game. Also why I played Blackout for a full year and sort had a love/hate thing going on with it since it sat pretty much square in the middle.

I should have probably just gotten into ARMA or some poo poo because it's definitely not the BR formula I find appealing. Although it definitely feels good to win.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is getting a 3 pedal racing wheel with a shifter a viable way to teach myself how to drive stick?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
That's how I learned.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, next question, what's a good affordable 3 pedal with shifter

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

fischtick posted:

Again, not sure I can fault a Tomb Raider game for having too many tombs... maybe it's just the gameplay mechanics are all so standard now, even if the tombs themselves have variety.

I really, really loved the puzzle tombs in Shadow of the Tomb Raider - they're easily the best bit of the game. I even bought the bonus tombs DLC despite only renting the game. They're really fun physics puzzles with varied aesthetics.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

fit em all up in there posted:

How's the Destroy All Human remake ?

Coming from a place of nostalgia, I enjoyed it. The changes they made to movement and combat did a lot to improve it, and it looks nice. If you didn't play the original, I don't know if I can recommend it; the missions are repetitive, and there are exactly two jokes, which get run into the ground pretty fast.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The start of Rise of the Tomb Raider has one of the most impressive "Whoa, this isn't a cutscene anymore, I can move around now, whaaaaaa!? " moments I can recall.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

I don’t know if I can cross post from another thread, or if that even works but I’ll try:

FUGGG YOU GOT ME HUNTA :DDDDD

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Steve Yun posted:

Is getting a 3 pedal racing wheel with a shifter a viable way to teach myself how to drive stick?

Might give you the general idea of what youre supposed to be doing but wont give you the feel

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I beat Death Stranding yesterday, and I don't think I've done a bigger 180 on a game than I have with this one. For the longest time I rolled my eyes at every notion of the game, and at the end I was just wanting more. The final delivery, with "BB's Theme" playing throughout, was just so drat epic. It gave me shivers. I can't wait to see what Kojima has planned next.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ghost of Tsushima might not be the best game in the world

BUt I am addicted to the stupid loop of running around the extremely pretty world, yelling WHO AMONG YOU WILL FIGHT ME, and then parrying everything to death and feeling very cool while doing it. I remember worrying that the combat would feel too shallow but it's actually pretty fun with the moves you unlock over time and the stance switching and consumables

At some point I unlocked a move that uses 1 resolve but does bonus damage to anyone staggered while you rush forward in an anime flash and I use it CONSTANTLY. Just always staggering people, dashing through them and doing the "nothing personal kid" in slow motion

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't realize that dagger upgrades were upgrading his assassination animations until I got the last one and now he's just old school Assassin's Creeding them before things got all complicated.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, next question, what's a good affordable 3 pedal with shifter

Haha, affordable.

G29 might be your easiest bet? The shifter is a separate purchase though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve explored almost all of the Cathedral Ward now - I can go to Old Yharnam one way and Hemwick something or other another way. Exploring and eventually opening up new shortcuts is so fun!

Died to Vicar Amelia a couple times and I reckon I’m gonna grind them echoes and check out some of the other areas I got before I go back to her because drat that is a LOT of health and my attacks do basically no damage

gently caress’s sake I guess I like Bloodborne now lmao

Personal growth, this is good. You're gonna be perma deathing grounded and no deathing sekiro in no time.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
After watching Markiplier play Darkwood I started up again. poo poo is real good. I think I was just extremely confused at some of the mechanics and game loop. Once you "get it" it's extremely good and terrifying. Especially for a top down game where you can't even see anyone's face.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

Personal growth, this is good. You're gonna be perma deathing grounded and no deathing sekiro in no time.

It’s a good time! I don’t know exactly what changed - partly I got a little more patient and took the thread’s advice about trying to single enemies out as much as I can, partly I found the hunter garb in the sewers that I never discovered before, partly I feel like the game is just giving me more vials than it ever did before???? - but getting through the early sections was nowhere near as bad as it had been on previous attempts, and Gascoigne took me only six or so tries overall.

When I first started earlier it felt like overnight I had lost all the skill I built up which was frustrating but it’s okay now. Currently wandering around the graveyard area and in a constant state of “should I go back and upgrade things or should I keep going forward and causing destruction”

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Storm One posted:

Won't this wear out the Switch internal flash faster, and eventually the PS5 SSD, especially if it's already mostly full with less free space for wear-leveling?

Unless we're talking enterprise workloads, you're not going to wear out a modern SSD. We don't know exactly what's going to be in PS5, but for example the 960 Evo 500 from 2017 is specced for 200 TBW (Terabytes Written). That's about 50 GB written every day for 10 years straight. Also, bigger sized SSDs have bigger TBW so unless you plan on writing 100+ GB to your PS5 every day for a decade, you'll be fine (and probably even if you do write that much).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

unless you plan on writing 100+ GB to your PS5 every day for a decade

When's Warzone out on PS5

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm trying to beat spelunky on my ps4 before the sequel comes out and I just had a death so brutal it ruined my entire week. I threw a rope up on the ice level and it hit a UFO that was off screen and it fell straight down and exploded on me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

Might give you the general idea of what youre supposed to be doing but wont give you the feel

Same. The best way imo is to just pick a quiet parking lot and stall a few times. If you already know how to drive an automatic then the jump to standard is pretty simple, you just have to gain a sense and feel the momentum of the vehicle.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a good time! I don’t know exactly what changed - partly I got a little more patient and took the thread’s advice about trying to single enemies out as much as I can, partly I found the hunter garb in the sewers that I never discovered before, partly I feel like the game is just giving me more vials than it ever did before???? - but getting through the early sections was nowhere near as bad as it had been on previous attempts, and Gascoigne took me only six or so tries overall.

When I first started earlier it felt like overnight I had lost all the skill I built up which was frustrating but it’s okay now. Currently wandering around the graveyard area and in a constant state of “should I go back and upgrade things or should I keep going forward and causing destruction”

Most FROM games have mental thresholds like this. Sekiro's is the most severe but it always blows me away that all the games can literally be beaten on soul level 1 with no added skills.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I would like a Chrono Cross remake

Edit:whoops I missed a page but this was in response to FF6 discussion

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Caesar Saladin posted:

i'm trying to beat spelunky on my ps4 before the sequel comes out and I just had a death so brutal it ruined my entire week. I threw a rope up on the ice level and it hit a UFO that was off screen and it fell straight down and exploded on me.

Spelunky is good.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Starks posted:

I would like a Chrono Cross remake

Edit:whoops I missed a page but this was in response to FF6 discussion

why bother, just buy the disc from square (they still sell it on their store) put in your pc, install the ai upscaled backgrounds and videos, run retroarch. perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXFUNIEGY8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-ZSbiKjqk

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Complaining to the internet in hopes that it results in another Bloodborne victory: OoK is having his way with my feeble body. He is wrecking me with his big, meaty placenta.. No one is answering my bell :cry:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Timotheous Venture posted:

Complaining to the internet in hopes that it results in another Bloodborne victory: OoK is having his way with my feeble body. He is wrecking me with his big, meaty placenta.. No one is answering my bell :cry:

summoning for that one generally makes it worse

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Timotheous Venture posted:

This subreddit makes finding summons super easy - https://www.reddit.com/r/huntersbell/

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I can get his second phase consistently but I have a hell of a time dodging all his goo-ball projectiles.

I did manage to get one summon but that person died rather quickly. I'll keep banging my head against it. Nothing much better to do in a weekend with 100+ temperatures.

And thanks for that reddit link, I may give that a shot if I'm not successful otherwise.

Update: GOT HIM. The person whom I had summoned previously came back again and we beat it together. Praise the sun. We are redeemed.

thiccabod fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 16, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I found orphan of kos harder than anything in Sekiro personally

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Steve Yun posted:

Just buy a cheap car and learn it that way. Won't cost much more than a decent 3 pedal and steering wheel setup, and you actually will hear/feel the feedback of the car way better.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI4wU7YxQY8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Nice to see someone else getting the same YT recommendations.